PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings Box Office

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 17th, 2001, 12:10:55 AM
Ok since it opnes Wed I figured I start the discussion for what I feel is the biggest and probably the best movie of the year. I am curious what does everybody think it will make its first day? its first weekend? Lee's box office has an early guess and its a lot lower that what I expected. He saying 19 for Wed, and 46 for the weekend, and 76 for 5 days. I think he is underestimated the LOTR's fans and people who are not fans. I know a lot of people that want to see it, in the first weekend, so I think he doesn't realize what it will do (besides look at his list of movies he is looking foward to, LOTR comes in 5th, so I am wondering if that is impacting his decision). Here is what I think it will do. Wed 26.5 and then 56 for the weekend and 94 for the 5 days. Because of the facts that it opens on a Wed and its 3 hours I think that prevents it for opening beyond the 50 range. Now you might think 3 hours will hurt from doing this numbers, but I disagree. Pearl Harbor made about the same money and it was just as anticipated but had terrible reviews. LOTR is got a fan base, has hype and getting excellent reviews which should help it dominate this weekend. But this is my opinion, I could be wrong so tell me what you think.

Darth23
Dec 17th, 2001, 03:22:52 AM
LOTR Guessing time:
LOTR:
Opening Day - 26.2
First 5 days (Wed - Sun) - 102.3
Openeing Week (wed - Tues)- 123.5
First Weekend - 62.3
Second Weekend - 40.31
Total Gross - 279 million

I had a whole long thing I wrote, but it got lost and I don't feel like repeating myself - maybe later. :p

ReaperFett
Dec 17th, 2001, 03:39:12 AM
at a wild guess, it wont hit the $million mark on Tuesday :)

Jedieb
Dec 17th, 2001, 10:09:54 AM
I think/hope that LOTR will have a smaller opening than HP but much stronger legs. I'm guessing that this will be the $300M movie of the year. It could very well end up falling under $200M, but I'm going to keep my guesses on the positive side.

Opening Day - 24.5M
First 5 days (Wed. - Sun.) - 96.5M
Opening Week (Wed. - Tues.)- 123.5M
First Weekend - 58.5M
Second Weekend - 41.5M
Total Gross - 325M

ReaperFett
Dec 17th, 2001, 10:49:17 AM
read an interesting article on this. They reckoned the chances of a Record breaking haul are slim, due to marketing. It was saying about how it is only selling to people who've already read the books. You might scoff, but I only got interested three weeks ago, because of a program I saw by accident

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 17th, 2001, 12:11:22 PM
I read that on IMBD, but I didn't underestand where they were coming from, they never said how the marketing would hurt, I mean what specifically they were doing wrong by giving examples or anything. I've seen the promos and alll of them have been great in showing off the film, and I don't see how they could have did it better without spoon feeding it to them whcih would be a bad approach. Really what they are counting on is two things: the Critics, if they keep getting it great reviews it should get more people in the door, word of mouth, this is what will really help the film, I agree with Jedieb I think it will have a lot smaller declines than HP and end up making more than 300 but I guess we will see. I'm guessing it will make 330 by the end of its run.

ReaperFett
Dec 17th, 2001, 12:23:07 PM
I mean what specifically they were doing wrong by giving examples or anything.

They werent selling a film, they're telling you it's there

JMK
Dec 17th, 2001, 08:52:26 PM
I'm just going to skip right to my final gross guess; 303 Million.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 17th, 2001, 11:15:55 PM
I don't see that in the trailers, so I disagree with the article, I think they are very good and show the movie for what it is a fantasy film, I also saw one recently that used reviews to hype the film which is a great marketing strategy

Dutchy
Dec 18th, 2001, 06:17:23 PM
LOTR opens here as I type. :)

Darth23
Dec 18th, 2001, 07:24:01 PM
"I don't see that in the trailers, so I disagree with the article, I think they are very good and show the movie for what it is a fantasy film, I also saw one recently that used reviews to hype the film which is a great marketing strategy"

I saw an article that has a quote that said it looked like they are promoting Empire Strikes back, not the first Star Wars movie.

I don't agree with that either.

There have been lots of trailers, lots of tv specials, some of the stars are making the talk show circuit, and there have been premieres in London, NY and LA.

The only bad marketing that has happened is those stupid BK commercials.

Mu Satach
Dec 18th, 2001, 07:57:37 PM
OOOOoooooooooooooo... guessing time...

I like guessing... let's see...

opening day 28 mil
5 day 106 mil
BO gross 325

random thoughts as usual. =)

Master Yoghurt
Dec 20th, 2001, 01:08:13 PM
Anyone know when the first results are in?

This one got staying power and ability to achieve consistent good results for a long time.

Opening Day - 28.2 M
First 5 days (Wed-Sun) - 132.2 M
Opening Week (Wed-Tues) - 164.3

Total Gross: 612M :)

Figrin D'an
Dec 20th, 2001, 02:04:18 PM
Wow... pretty bold prediction there Yog. :cool

But, he does make a great point... this movie has bigtime potential staying power... it's already gotten unprecidented critical review, and almost every public review, even those from Tolkien purists, has been overall positive. This film is going to get great word-of-mouth.... that, combined with repeat viewership, could be enough to push this thing over $400 million domestic US... and from there... who knows.... :)

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 03:55:27 PM
from TF.N:

New Line Cinema has reported an estimated opening day gross of $18.2M for its fantasy epic "The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings" which bowed on Wednesday, December 19th, after months of hype. Playing in 3,359 theaters with over 5,700 total screens, the Peter Jackson-directed adventure generated the third-largest Wednesday opening in history after 1999's "Star Wars Episode I" ($28.5M from 2,970 theaters) and last summer's "Jurassic Park 3" ($19M from 3,434).

Can't believe JP3 beat it. 800K behind, with 100 less screens. At a guess, I'd say the running time is the reason

ReturnOfTheCB
Dec 20th, 2001, 04:41:25 PM
I've mentioned it before in passing, and I'm not sure if there's even statistics to back this up, but this is based purely on trying to understand the mentality...I think its opening time of year has something to do with it as well: people still working/in school, etc. aren't going to be as likely to take off this close to the Christmas break to go see it, simply because many of them will be getting off in a few days as it is. I could be completely wrong, but it's just my opinion, also based on what I saw at my theater...there were large crowds for the early shows, but not sold out...about 5 and later, the theater was PACKED full in the lobby, out to the door, parking lot was full, and so on. I still think it's a good strong opening, though, hopefully, as I believe it will, it will have excellent staying power, through word of mouth and overwhelmingly positive critic reviews...

Darth23
Dec 20th, 2001, 05:22:58 PM
I thought it would pull in at least 20 million.

Still, it has 2 weeks where everyday will be sort of like a weekend day, so it should bring in a lot of dough quickly.

Darth23
Dec 20th, 2001, 05:28:55 PM
Wednesdays numbers are in:

18.2 million.

I feel weird about it. I'd like ot see the movie make a lot of money - just not as much as TPM, and if it does make as much as TPM then I don't want to see it make as much asn ANH. :p

SO I feel sightly relieved by the opening day figure, but I also feel letdown because I predicted that it would make like 26 million on opening day. But then I also feel like it could do a Titanic and make 18 million a day for the next 14 days, and make at lease 20 million a weekend for months, and end up woth 700 million dollars. :D

Master Yoghurt
Dec 20th, 2001, 06:35:06 PM
Now that is an interesting number. Did expect it to start a lot stronger due to all the good reviews and its fanbase. On the other hand, we knew it was opening on less screens than HP, and the running length allows for less screenings in an amount of time. It is very similar to Titanic that way (also, notice Titanic was released on the same day!). The question now is if the word of mouth will get the snowball rolling, and actually improve on the numbers, especially as the weekend is coming..

I am still confident in its staying power. :)

Master Yoghurt
Dec 20th, 2001, 06:47:07 PM
I greatly underestimated the importance of screen numbers and running length. Then there is the day of the week and time of the year. However, I still think it will do really great in the weekend and whole week total. Just not quite the numbers I predicted, lol

ReturnOfTheCB
Dec 20th, 2001, 06:57:21 PM
I'd love to see this knock Titanic down...I don't know that any of the other Star Wars movies have a shot at it (in initial release, of course), so I'd love to see Titanic taken down by another movie worthy of the top title, of at least, if not more, excellence than Star Wars :D

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 20th, 2001, 10:39:58 PM
Actually I now know I overestimated, and I have no clue why I did. 18 makes more sense because its a film that will need legs and not open huge the opposite of HP. I also think its a weird coincinence that it opened on the same day as Titanic and also it just recieved golden Globe nominations and probably will get a bunch of Oscars nominations in a few months. Looking it at that way it has a shot at challenging the big boat because its going to be in theaters to at least the oscars March or April and it could do it. Its really hard to say at this point I think it will still make at least 300 maybe more its just going to be difficult to predict.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 20th, 2001, 11:09:19 PM
I think JP 3 even though it was on less screen probably had 2x the amount of showings. JP3 was less than 90 minutes which means they can get a lot of shows in LOTR was 3 hours long and could only get on so much, actually LOTR's Wed, is similar to PH's Friday a similar length film, so it will make about the same amount in its first 5 days as PH did but what should help is PH had bad Word of mouth and LOTR should have great word of mouth which should help it make money for months.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 20th, 2001, 11:24:42 PM
I decided to merge these two threads because they basically deal with the same thing.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 21st, 2001, 12:23:07 AM
Yeah, it is obivous the screen mumber and running length is a limitation here. It is in fact quite possible the slightly disappointing start is not as bad as we think it is... as Fett pointed out in his thread, it is the third largest mid week opening. Cant wait for second day numbers! :)

Dutchy
Dec 21st, 2001, 05:28:47 PM
$9.7M for Thursday.

Darth23
Dec 21st, 2001, 06:12:35 PM
That's pretty comparable to TPM's Thursday drop, actuallly it's a bit better - percentage wise.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 21st, 2001, 11:15:02 PM
Yeah, it is a 47% drop. TPM fell 57% from $28.5M to $12.3M (Wednesday-Thursday).

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 22nd, 2001, 12:02:03 AM
That number is pretty good it will probably do about 60-70 million for the 5 day weekend, Fri-Tue.

JonathanLB
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:31:25 AM
"of at least, if not more, excellence than Star Wars"

Umm... no. LOL. LOTR was a good film, but come on, that is totally unrealistic. BETTER than Star Wars?!

You are on a Star Wars message board my friend, go to TheOneRing.net or whatever it is. ;)

LOL, ugg, that is stupid.

Dutchy
Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:22:26 PM
$14.3M for Friday.

JMK
Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:51:33 PM
Just because this is a Star Wars board, it does NOT by any means require every person to Star Wars as much as you or I do Jon. If someone thinks that LOTR is better than TPM, then that is their choice, and they are just as right as you.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 22nd, 2001, 10:01:19 PM
I thought LOTR was a great movie and im opinion eqaul to TPM, I don't like distinquishing between movies that I really like as I said before but I agree if somebody thinks its better that is there choice though just don't try to say that we should think that too and we can easily all get along.

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 23rd, 2001, 12:41:36 AM
For FOTR to get anywhere near 300 million ( and I dont think it will) it will need many reapet viewings and good word of mouth. Well, the word of mouth bit seems to be fine, is it a movie that can be watched over and over and over again?

600 Million? Not a chance. I dont even think 400 million is doable. I'm just glad it soulds like Jackson did something amazing and prduced a brilliant movie

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 23rd, 2001, 12:46:13 AM
I think it will get to 300 and has a slight chance of making it to 400 but beyond that I doubt it would make much more than that, I think right now it will do between 330-350 million.

Darth23
Dec 23rd, 2001, 12:14:02 PM
Right now I don't think it will reach 200 million. :(

I hoped the numbers would be a little stronger early on.

It feels like the movie is slipping, to me. I know it's stupid to say, considering the first weekend's numbers aren't even out yet, and considering the critical acclaim and what seems to be good word of mouth.

Dutchy
Dec 23rd, 2001, 03:23:02 PM
$45.25M for the weekend.

Darth23
Dec 23rd, 2001, 03:30:50 PM
Damn, did my post get lost?

Oh well, I'll try again:

Weekend Box Office Dec. 21-23
Rank / Movie / Weekend Total (Total Gross)
1 Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship - 45.25 (73.2)
2 Ocean'S Eleven - 14.59 (95.2)
3 Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius - 14.00 (14.0)
4 Vanilla Sky - 12.10 (45.1)
5 How High - 7.58 (7.6)
6 Harry Potter Sorcerer'S Stone - 6.17 (263.2)
7 Not Another Teen Movie - 5.50 (21.7)
8 The Majestic - 5.03 (5.0)
9 Joe Somebody - 3.65 (3.6)
10 Monsters, Inc. - 3.52 (224.2)

LOTR did less that the 50-60 million many people were predicting. But better than the 60 million on 5 days that the studio rep said they expected. Still with the holidays this week and next week, it could stay up there. It certainly outperformed everything else out there. It certainly outperformed everyother movie in release.

Harry Potter lost only 100 theaters but dropped 37%. I'm thinking it lost a lot of screens in the theaters where it had more than one. Plus Jimmy Neutron and FOTR took some business away, I think. On the bright side it only needs another 4 million to become the top movie of 2001.

Ocean's 11 looks like the 'other' movie of the season, Vanilla Sky dropped aver 50% (during a holiday weekend) - I think it was just too different for a lot of people.

The Majestic and Joe Somebody barely made it into the top ten, Teen Movie is falling apart, and Shallow Hal and Black Knight have left the (top ten) building.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 23rd, 2001, 05:34:23 PM
I disagree Darth I think the movie will have small declines, it will probably make another 20 million for Monday and Tuesday and do pretty good on Wed, and Thursday maybe 15 million then next weekend I think it will drop between 25 and 27% giving it between 32-36 million for next weekend after that i think it will go several wekes without falling beneath 20 million because it really has no major competition except from ALI which is not opening mega wide and will probably not even make 20 for next weekend.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 23rd, 2001, 06:45:52 PM
Well, the weekend returns seems quite even and consistent. Seems like it's basically doing the max amount of business it could be expected to do. After all, did we ever see Titaninc do mor ethan a 45 million weekend?

As long as the declines are mild......

BTW, one point to note - it's basically sold out in Australia for the first week. Getting tickets anywhere is proving nasty.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 23rd, 2001, 10:31:21 PM
Well, look at it this way. 17M for saturday is only one million behind its opening day! Which IMO is very impressive. It should be very interesting to see sunday numbers.. :)

I disagree it does not have a chance reaching 400M (or 600M for that matter!). As long as the drop offs remain consistently low for a very long time, anything is possible. Lets review the numbers a bit:

1. It is a 3 hour length movie = less screenings

2. It runs on less screens = less tickets

3. It runs in december = very bad month for big openings

4. It opened on wednesday = not a good day compared to weekend openings.

I dont know how it could end up with 18M and 9M for the first couple of days, except pointing out number 1 and 2, because where I live, the theaters are absolutely PACKED. Some people plan for their viewings a month ahead! A friend of mine was planning to see it when it had "calmed down", whenever that is.. :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 23rd, 2001, 10:41:14 PM
I discovered today MOST theatres in Australia are booked out for over a week and getting worse.

BOOKED OUT A WEEK IN ADVANCE. Not for a special viewing, the ENTIRE WEEK.

That's totally unheard of.

And from what I understand, it's happening everywhere. I was damn lucky to get a ticket for the opening day. I had no such trouble for TPM. Could it be the case that LOTR simply could not have gone any higher cause it was packed out? Remember, you would be lucky to use the theatre 3 times in a day, given it's sheer length. Opening day would have had a lot of special screenings not repeated for anytime else.

If it simply played to packed houses and couldnt do anymore.... then the numbers could have been a lot higher. For Australia, if the numbers arent all that hot, just remember that there isnt a ticket anywhere and it just cant do better.

Only 48 hours and I get to see it!!!

Master Yoghurt
Dec 23rd, 2001, 10:57:28 PM
DT: Perhaps the Americans are a little slow. They need some time to go bananas. In Norway, it has been like that for quite some time. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 23rd, 2001, 11:23:34 PM
I disagree it does not have a chance reaching 400M (or 600M for that matter!). As long as the drop offs remain consistently low for a very long time, anything is possible so which is it those statements are kind of contradictory? I'm guessing from the rest of your statment you meant the latter and I agree with you, anything is possible. From the weekend estimates it looks like they think LOTR will only make 14 on Sunday, I think it is possible that it made more than that maybe closer to 16 but that is only going by how crowded all the theaters looked that I drove by. Another factor that really needs to be considered is holiday shopping. Everybody it seems is shopping at the last minute. I went to the Mall and it was so crowded that I couldn't believe. So, once this shopping spree is over more people might go see it, as I said I know people that have not seen it yet that want to and I think they are waiting till after the holiday rush. Another thing that I was interesting was on one of the AP stories I read that the head of New Line thinks it will hit 100 on Tuesday, Christmas Day. I guess it is possible if it averages 14 for both Monday and Tuesday, but I am not sure how many people go to the movies on Christmas Eve and Day, I was planning on going myself on Christmas Day with somebody and I was curious how crowded it would be.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 23rd, 2001, 11:57:07 PM
Well, if you look closely, I said I disagree it does not have a chance reaching 400M. Ok, that was poor English, I admit. :lol

What I meant was, I think it does have chance of reaching 400, depending on the drop offs. It is far too early writing off LOTR. If you look at Titanic, it did not start that impressive either.

Darth23
Dec 24th, 2001, 12:03:49 AM
FOTR made 13.9 million on Sunday according to BoxOfficeMojo.com. That's less that it made on Friday. (a bad trend?) It seems to me that movies generally make more than Friday and less than Saturday.

Figrin D'an
Dec 24th, 2001, 12:23:17 AM
There's something else to keep in mind though... Sunday was the last weekend shopping day before Christmas... comsidering that some people do have to work yet on Monday (Dec. 24th), I'm willing to bet that a lot of last minute shopping didn't really help the Sunday numbers for ALL films this weekend.

Monday and Tuesday will probably be slow days for theaters (maybe decent numbers on Monday with kids being on break from school), but next weekend should be very good, I expect.

Darth23
Dec 24th, 2001, 08:52:27 AM
Ve shall see.....

BUFFJEDI
Dec 24th, 2001, 01:07:07 PM
I hated it BUT I hope it does surpass HP, in the boxoffice. LOTR should almost make 300 mil state side.doubt it does any better.

Darth23
Dec 24th, 2001, 04:23:50 PM
Hated it? Really?

I had a lot of mostly minor problems with it, but I'd still give it an 8 - 8.5 / 10.

BUFFJEDI
Dec 24th, 2001, 04:53:49 PM
I really REALLY !! wanted to like it I just couldn't?? the book is great though!!?? you know I'm weird like that O_o . maybe when it's out on dvd I'll get a chance to watch it and appreciate it .

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 24th, 2001, 06:22:37 PM
Hey Darth, that 13.9 is wrong, Lee's box office has up it made 15.1 on Sunday pushing the numbers up a million to 46 for the weekend, and 74 for the five days. I think that is a good sign because one, it made more on Sunday than Friday especially since people were mostly shopping that day, second the estimate was low which is always a good, IMO, now it has a decent shot of making it to 100 by tomorrow, it would have to average a little less than 13 million to do it but it is within reason.

JonathanLB
Dec 24th, 2001, 07:56:55 PM
Hated it?! You hated the best movie of the year?! I can understand saying it was just pretty good, or maybe a bit disappointing but still good, because perhaps an LOTR fan could say that, but it is the best film of the year or at least top five!

I am NOT an LOTR fan, just a fan of great writing and filmmaking, and I still think FOTR is the best film this year.

As for the box office, $46 million is incredible for this weekend, which is NOT A HOLIDAY WEEKEND, by the way. Who the heck said that?! LOL. Get your facts right. There is no holiday this weekend, the day off is Tuesday for x-mas. Not everyone or even most people get Monday off. My best friend works Monday, we still had people working at our house Monday, etc. It's not a holiday weekend. In fact, this is usually a pretty lousy weekend at the box office compared to Thanksgiving, for instance, or even earlier weeks in November. It's just not historically a good weekend, yet LOTR still did very well.

Who here would have said Titanic, this film with awful dialogue and a corny and contrite love story that is 3 hours and 14 minutes long and stars frickin' Leonardo DiCrapio and Kate Piglett, would have opened at a pathetic $28 million and went on to make $600 million? You never know how well a film is going to do until you see its second weekend, at least. Before that, you can talk all you want until your face is blue but you know nothing of the film's potential until the second weekend is over.

Many people said TPM was "finished" after its first weekend (despite breaking nearly every record known to man), yet in its second weekend it made more than any other movie in history had ever made in a second weekend. It was the first movie to make more than $40 million in a second weekend, but it also was the first to make over $50 million in a second weekend. The first weekend doesn't mean much, but by the look of LOTR's first weekend this movie is a major hit.

It is much more popular and well-liked than Harry Potter already, regardless of gross. Nobody who likes quality films would say Potter is better than LOTR when the first was made by a hack of a director and aimed just at little kids and babies. As one guy said in USA Today, comparing Potter to LOTR is like comparing a psalm in the Bible (LOTR) to a nursery rhyme (Potter). One is not to be taken seriously whatsoever because it is a little kiddie phenonmenon that frankly makes me sick as the Power Rangers fad, the Beanie Babies fad, and the Titanic fad put together, while the other is a masterpiece of film crafted by a truly brilliant filmmaker from a story written by the greatest writer of the 20th century and based on the greatest book(s) (LOTR) of the 20th century (as named by many literary critics).

Dutchy
Dec 24th, 2001, 08:27:28 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
I can understand saying it was just pretty good, or maybe a bit disappointing but still good, because perhaps an LOTR fan could say that, but it is the best film of the year or at least top five!

In your opinion it is. LOTR is a good movie, but it's not in my Top 10 of the year, while I still have a lot to see too.

Jedieb
Dec 24th, 2001, 09:22:35 PM
I have returned! Nice to see some old faces pop in (Figrin, Yoghurt, Turbogeek). I may be lucky enough to take the wife to the movies tomorrow because we've got grandparents in town. Unfortunately if we do go it'll be Oceans 11 and not FOTR that we'll be seeing. The wife suggested VSky but I shot that down quick. Hopefully we'll squeeze another movie in before her parents leave and that will definitely be FOTR. For now, the light up BK glasses I grinched at an X-Mas party will have to suffice.

I have to say the numbers are pretty solid for a 3 hour flick. Sunday's numbers look pretty solid. It'll be interesting to see how much damage Ali does when it premieres tomorrow. Will Smith looks amazing and it looks like Michael Mann has another winner on his hands. FOTR isn't in trouble if Ali takes the number #1 spot. IMO, it's much more important for FOTR to put up consistent numbers with small declines. It could still end up taking the eventual #1 spot from HP. We'll just have to wait a week or two to see how it's holding up.

Darth23
Dec 24th, 2001, 10:50:42 PM
I think Kate and Leopold will do pretty well. Biopics tend to have problems, but Ali is a guy movie, and there area lot of guy movies out right now.

Darth23
Dec 24th, 2001, 10:57:53 PM
Lee has Sunday's actual numbers in:

FOTR made 15.14 million, not 13.9. :D

It doesn't appear that the weekend final totals are out.

I think we'll have to wait until the day after Christmas.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 24th, 2001, 11:24:19 PM
WB Jedieb I hope you had a great break. I personally don't think Ali will do very well, the reviews so far have been mixed and the movie isn't opening in super amount of theaters, 2400, est I think it will finish behind LOTR personally next weekend, but it may open around 20-25 max and LOTR could do 30-40(a lot depends there). Kate and Leopold I don't know it will probably do 15 million or so I think. I do hope you get to see FOTR, Jedieb, it is the best movie I have seen since TPM, and I know of several women that enjoyed so your wife might love. And don't let her take you to VS that movie is getting bad word of mouth, except from Jonathan :D it looks like a rental for me.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 25th, 2001, 03:18:48 AM
Jedieb, good to see you. :cool

I think 15M for sunday is a strong result. Higher than friday and just 3 behind its opening day (I use opening day as measurement, as it gives some indication of realistic theater performance due to number of screens and running length). Here are some of my thoughts of the days ahead.

We know december 24 is a bad day for BO, and the fact it is a monday does not make it any better. In contrast. december 25 is a great day, where movies tend to rocket percentage wise. LOTR might very well reach 100M on tuesday, but that really depends on the monday drop off. If the drop off is low, it should make it due to a STRONG recover on tuesday.

Here are some numbers from prior years:

December 24:

97 - http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/daily/1997/19971224.html
98 - http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/daily/1998/19981224.html
99 - http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/daily/1999/19991224.html
00 - http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/daily/2000/20001224.html

December 25:

97- http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/daily/1997/19971225.html
98 - http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/daily/1998/19981225.html
99 - http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/daily/1999/19991225.html
00 - http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/daily/2000/20001225.html

You will notice some really wild percentage increases for the 25 of december. 100-200%+ is not unheard of.

Then there is the 26, 27 and the days ahead. Those days are usally a time for some really stable and good results. In fact 26th tend to be even better than the 25th and 28th on par with 25. Then the weekend arrives to end it off nicely.

My conclusion of all this? Tuesday-sunday is going to be MIGHTY impressive for LOTR! :rollin

Darth23
Dec 25th, 2001, 06:56:16 PM
"Hey Darth, that 13.9 is wrong, Lee's box office has up it made 15.1 on Sunday "

It wasn't WRONG, it was the offical estimate released on Sunday. :)

Jedieb
Dec 26th, 2001, 10:40:03 AM
The theater was packed last night! My wife and I were planning to see Oceans 11 but that was sold out. Which was fine by me because I figured I'd be able to see FOTR. Despite plaing on 2 screens, it was sold out as well. While I was at the ticket window Ali sold out also. My wife wanted to see VS, but I steered us away from that because of all the bad word of mouth I've been hearing. I went ahead and bought 2 tickets to The Majestic. While we were in our sets my wife mentioned Kate & Leopold. I'd completely forgotten that was out so we decided to catch that instead. If you're looking for an entertaining date movie I'd recommend it. Hugh Jackman was pretty funny and Meg Ryan was the same Meg Ryan you've seen in Sleepless, WHMSally, etc (funny, cute, engaging). I didn't think they'd be able to make the whole time travel plot work but they managed to pull it off. Sure, there are some space time continuim issues, but that's not really what the movie is about so you ignore them. The theater was about 3/4 full, but the audience really enjoyed it. I'd say it could pull in $75M-$90M with some strong word of mouth, but I don't think it will open very strong with all of the competition out there.

My in laws are leaving today so I don't know when I'll get to see FOTR. :(

Master Yoghurt
Dec 26th, 2001, 01:21:07 PM
Jedieb, Majestic BO numbers so far, you might have seen them allready (these are estimates):

Day 1 - friday
$1,524,000
$645 per theater

Day 2 - saturday
$1,796,000
+17.8%
$761 per theater

Day 2 - sunday
$1,509,000
-16.0%
$639 per theater

Total for the 3 day weekend:
$4,828,000

Personally, it looks to me it is going to struggle a bit. I dont think the reviews were that good either. But like you point out, the competition is strong, so we will see where it ends. :)

Darth23
Dec 26th, 2001, 02:01:40 PM
Tuesdays numbers, accordign to ShowBizData.com:

Daily US Top 10 Tuesday, December, 25, 2001

Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - 11.62 - 93.08
Ali - 10.30 - 10.30
Ocean'S Eleven - 4.54 - 102.63
Vanilla Sky - 2.95 - 48.13
Kate And Leopold - 2.56 - 2.56
How High - 2.11 - 9.44
Jimmy Neutron - 2.08 - 17.01
Harry Potter And The Sorcerer'S Stone 1.94 - 268.23
The Majestic - 1.63 - 7.49
Not Another Teen Movie - 1.56 - 23.52

Things are a bit odd, though. Accoridng to this list FOTR has made 93 million, accordign to other reports it has made 95 million so far.

CMJ
Dec 26th, 2001, 02:19:34 PM
Majestic deserves better. :(

Master Yoghurt
Dec 26th, 2001, 02:48:15 PM
Perhaps showbiz include the actuals for the weekend, while other sites use the estimates.

Edit: I meant the other way around. Perhaps showbiz use estimates, resulting in lower total.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 26th, 2001, 04:25:54 PM
11 million for Christmas day?????

I can under stand Ali opening quite well, but LOTR is doing superbly.

(And is sold out in a good deal of cinemas in Australia for two weeks. It's becoming impossible to get tickets. I swear, I have never seen anything like this. Sold out for two weeks?!?!)

Master Yoghurt
Dec 26th, 2001, 05:41:43 PM
Yeah, the 11 million indicates LOTR drops the competition from great height then jumps on them like a band of sumo wrestlers. This movie is full of pep and is going to surprise a lot of analysts in the days and weeks to come. In fact, I think wednesday is going to be equally good or better. I predict a minimum 10M average for wednesday and thursday, then the weekend.. hehe.. this should be fun. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 26th, 2001, 05:53:53 PM
That would mean quite amazing consistency. Impressive, real impressive. Especially as Ali didnt seem to hurt it's B.O. one bit. That's what we need to see for B.O. totals to be beaten.

And in Australia, I think a lot of records are going to fall. There were huge queues and a hell of a lot of sellouts and seemingly, it's just getting worse. Harry Potter has just simply been swamped and Monsters Inc isnt even on the radar.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 26th, 2001, 06:23:25 PM
There is an estimate of 8 million on monday. A little better than expected. Thought it would be around 7 million. But still, as you can see, monday the 24 percentage drop offs are bad for all movies, then some great recovers on tuesday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 26th, 2001, 06:41:20 PM
11 million is great for Christmas Day, heck 8.1 million is great too for Christmas Eve which is not a movie Day, look at the closest movie on that day Oceans 11 with 2.6 million that is more than a 3 to 1 difference that is huge. I think it will do over 10 too for today and tomorrow pushing its total to at least 114 million before the weekend, for the weekend I am not sure yet, it should do at least 30 but maybe as high as 35-38, its really hard to say at this point.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 26th, 2001, 06:58:18 PM
Actuals are in:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2001/51a.htm

Jedieb
Dec 27th, 2001, 10:20:32 AM
Yoghurt, I was making a guess for K&L, not Majestic. I think TM will get outperformed by K&L, but I'd be surprised if either of them made over $100M, although I think K&L has an OUTSIDE shot at it.

Darth23
Dec 27th, 2001, 03:51:55 PM
Looks like HP cleaned up on Wednesday, it should probably make another 3 million on Thursday. FOTR had another big day too:

Daily Us Top - 10 Wednesday, December 26, 2001

Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - 13.95 - 108.00
Ali 5.81 - 16.02
Ocean'S Eleven - 4.60 - 106.61
Jimmy Neutron - 3.88 - 22.43
Harry Potter And The Sorcerer'S Stone - 3.39 - 271.20
Vanilla Sky - 2.96 - 52.46
Kate And Leopold - 2.83 - 5.39
Beautiful Mind, A - 1.78 - 4.28
Monsters, Inc. - 1.58 - 227.93
How High - 1.49 - 11.27

[looks like there were some typos - I re-copied the numbers]

Dutchy
Dec 27th, 2001, 04:23:26 PM
Darth23, where did you get those numbers from?

Darth23
Dec 27th, 2001, 05:06:58 PM
A little website I like to call ShowBizData.com.

:p

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 27th, 2001, 05:18:39 PM
Lee's Movie Info is prediction 38 million for FOTR. Probably correct, but given the real evenness to FOTR's numbers so far, I wouldnt be surprised if 42 million is possible.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2001, 05:27:50 PM
Man, did FOTR have a huge day it was 2 to 1 over ALI which is a newer movie and I agree DT it could do over 40, it would not surprise me a bit.

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 27th, 2001, 09:46:51 PM
Have a read of the B.O. progress in Australia.... seems my mind wasnt playing tricks. This movie is genuinely toasting everything in it's path here.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/011227/2/20gd.html

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2001, 11:27:41 PM
Thats cool, I think FOTR will do very well overseas, has anybody seen any other numbers? I heard it opened well in England, just haven't seen any figures.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 28th, 2001, 01:06:26 AM
13.9M is another great result! :)

Now, thursday the numbers will drop a bit. But not much, keeping it above the 10M mark, producing an average for the two days in the 12-13M range.

Weekend prediction: DT's estimation seem accurate. 38 would be a safe and conservative number, but I will be a bit more bold predicting a 14M average for the 3 days (friday to sunday), producing a spectacular 42.32M for the weekend.

I said it before, and I will say it again. This movie has great lasting power. That is why I think it actually has a chance rivaling Titanic. Why so many people thinks it will do lower than 300M is a mystery to me. By sunday, the total gross should hit 160M. TPM 300M in 28 days might very well be challenged. Assuming it hits 160M on sunday, it will need 16 days to do another 140M. That is an average of 8.75M per day. Even if it does miss that record, it will have a flying start at Titanic's 400M in 66 days.

Darth23
Dec 28th, 2001, 01:17:02 AM
I think that once the holidays are over, and work and school are back, things will cool off. Of course, it COULD have big weekends every weekend.....

Master Yoghurt
Dec 28th, 2001, 01:52:29 AM
You know, the thing that excites me about FotR is not really the weekend results (although I do think they are absolutely awesome), but the results on weekdays (monday to thursday). Wondering in fact if it could be much more than a holiday phenomenon. Ok, I do realise a lot of people have time off now, but a 10M + average for weekdays (monday to tuesday)? That is just awesome.

The really big test will be the first few days in next week. Obviously, monday will be bad, but tuesday and wednesday.. if it keeps pulling 10M+ days some time into january, I'd say Titanic is up for one heck of a challenge.

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 28th, 2001, 02:24:21 AM
Yog = looney. LOTR wont get close to Titanic. I'll even bet on it

Master Yoghurt
Dec 28th, 2001, 02:35:59 AM
Hehe.. I allready knew that. But thanks for reassuring me, DT. :p

Though I remain stubborn about FotR doing extremely well, I would not go so far as betting it will best Titanic. I think it might make it. But betting on it is a bit far. However, I sure am willing to bet it will beat TPM at 431M.. :)

Anyone feel like challenging my bet? :D

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 28th, 2001, 02:49:26 AM
Your on.

What do you want to bet?

How about the FOTR DVD when it comes out?

Master Yoghurt
Dec 28th, 2001, 02:58:28 AM
You know that would be nice! But since we are both going to buy that DVD the day it is released anyway (and it will be delayed by postage delivery etc), how about something else... something much more memorable.. :)

We both really hate Titanic.. and Leo in particular.

How about this, the loser of the bet will have to wear a pic of Leonardo di Caprio in his profile image for a month. :D

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 28th, 2001, 03:00:57 AM
All right, you are on. Prepare to be Di Caprio :lol

Master Yoghurt
Dec 28th, 2001, 03:15:02 AM
:lol

We will see.. :p

Btw, I will trace a good pic of Leo (does such a thing exist??) which will be the punishment. :D

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 28th, 2001, 03:29:27 AM
And if FOTR beats Titanic, we both wear the pic of Rose

Master Yoghurt
Dec 28th, 2001, 03:31:33 AM
Would this work? :)

http://www.thegjo.com/TEMP/Leo1.jpg

Master Yoghurt
Dec 28th, 2001, 03:32:49 AM
LOL! Your on! :D

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 28th, 2001, 04:29:42 AM
Oh man, that is a truly UGLY pic! This is going to be bad for the loser!!

Jedieb
Dec 28th, 2001, 08:55:23 AM
These are the kinds of bets I LIVE FOR! Forget money, property, betting your pride and dignity is a real man's bet!

I think the strong weekday grosses are due in large part to the holiday break. I think we'll see these strong numbers continue into the first week of January because of the college break. If this decrepid mind remembers right, it's even longer than the K-12 break so FOTR should still do well with the college crowd. I really don't think time records are all that important. If a movie is going to take the #1 spot it needs consistent grosses with slow declines, not a mad sprint to any arbitrary mark. Who cares how fast FOTR reaches $300M if it manages to make $400M or $500M? I would be very surprised if it surpasses TPM's $431. I think it has a shot at many worldwide records, but Titanic's should be safe.

Jedieb
Dec 28th, 2001, 09:01:21 AM
This is from your article Turbo.
Aussie opening day records:

1) FOTR $4.1M
2) HP $2.7M
3) TPM $2.6 M

I think it's safe to say that HP needed time and inflation to overtake TPM, but FOTR needed no such help. That's an impressive opening indeed. You need to keep us up to date on how many Austrailian records it breaks in the next few weeks.

Darth23
Dec 28th, 2001, 06:08:55 PM
Thursday's numbers are out

Courtesy of <a href=http://www.ShowBizData.com>ShowBizData.com:</a>

Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - 11.11 - 119.11
Jimmy Neutron - 5.09 - 27.52
Ocean'S Eleven - 4.28 - 110.89
Ali - 4.14 - 20.16
Harry Potter And The Sorcerer'S Stone - 3.51 - 274.71
Vanilla Sky - 2.70 - 55.16
Kate And Leopold - 2.49 - 7.88
Monsters, Inc. - 2.13 - 230.05
Beautiful Mind, A - 1.74 - 6.03
The Majestic - 1.40 - 10.19

Nupraptor
Dec 28th, 2001, 06:27:41 PM
I dunno... I bet if I looked like DiCrapio, I'd get a hell of a lot more women. :|

Master Yoghurt
Dec 28th, 2001, 07:44:59 PM
Seems to me FotR keeps a steady pace. I'd say it makes 160M by sunday.

Nup, you might reconcider. Here are some more photos I found in a hurry. Behind the makeup and between the photosessions, he looks nothing special. The real problem is not how he looks though, he is just so... ughhhh. :x The phrase 'spoiled Hollywood brat' comes to mind.

http://www.atpictures.com/display.php?path=/leo&loc=servc8&img=ld29955.jpg

http://www.atpictures.com/display.php?path=/leo&loc=servc8&img=ld1111.jpg

http://www.atpictures.com/display.php?path=/leo&loc=servc8&img=ld1212.jpg

http://www.atpictures.com/display.php?path=/leo&loc=servc8&img=ld5992.jpg

http://www.atpictures.com/display.php?path=/leo&loc=servc8&img=ld0019.jpg

Dutchy
Dec 28th, 2001, 07:53:01 PM
Originally posted by Darth23
Courtesy of <a href=http://www.ShowBizData.com>ShowBizData.com:</a>

You have a subscription, I take it?

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 28th, 2001, 08:43:50 PM
Ummm.... didnt FOTR go UP from its first Thursday?

BTW, I think the weekend gross for FOTR in Australia will be superb again. Tickets are selling out. And I got some again somehow!

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 28th, 2001, 11:03:45 PM
11 million is pretty good and it is an increase from its numbers from last weekend, I also think it will make it to 160 by Sunday and I think it will pass Hannibal for 9th place either on Monday or Tuesday. Also look at Ali it only made 4 million and is behind both Jimmy Neutron and Oceans 11.

Darth23
Dec 29th, 2001, 02:09:30 PM
Originally posted by Dutchy

You have a subscription, I take it?

As if. I'd never give money to them. I had a subscription to hollywoodreporter for a month last november, tho.

I just kept looking at the site and waiting to the new figures to show up, they did a little after 4:00 pm EST. Usually it's 5:00.
---------------

Thursday's numbers have been changed. ( I love the Holidays)

Heres what FOTR has made so far, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com:

Wednesday: $18,214,000
Thursday: $9,704,000
Friday: $14,233,000
Saturday: $17,463,000
Sunday: $15,516,000
Monday: $7,334,000
Tuesday: $11,570,000
Wednesday: $13,964,000
Thursday: $9,170,000
Friday: $12,109,000

Total: $129, 276, 000

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 29th, 2001, 06:13:36 PM
I think boxofficemojo is wrong, Lee still has the 11 figure and why would two sites get a Thursday wrong? I don't think New Line would release bogus figures. 12 million though is great and should do any where from 38-40 for the weekend and for the 5 days somewhere between 60-70 seems right, it should be in the top 10 by Jan 1 and closing in on the top 5 shortly and then we will have to see if it can take the top spot. Oh by the way I went to see it again today and I loved it again, but the theater was really crowded and there was a long line waiting for the next show I think that shows what the word of mouth is doing for it.

Darth23
Dec 29th, 2001, 07:31:32 PM
I think it could be a whole Estimate kind of thing.

Not really sure tho - their totals for LOTR are close though. 129 or 130 million.

So apparently Harry Potter has INCREASED to 3900 theaters?

Seems unlikely, but I guess it's possible. That would mean an increase of 800-900 theaters in week 8.

Maybe AOL put the squeeze on some theaters convincing them to add it.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 29th, 2001, 10:05:39 PM
Maybe its a misprint? I can't believe that the theaters would be that dumb in putting HP on more screens than LOTR which is doing so well. Also you see how poorly Ali is doing. I doubt it will make it to 100 now.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 30th, 2001, 01:09:15 AM
Hmm.. as a matter of curiosity, does anyone know how the studio estimates are published? IE, where does ShowBizData get their numbers from.

Ali looks likely to flop a bit now. HP shows remarkable resilience. FotR keeps grossing big time, although I thought it would do slightly better on thursday and perhaps a million more on friday. The numbers are still strong though.

Darth23
Dec 30th, 2001, 04:35:09 AM
Well everyone gets their info from Exhibitor Relations Inc. either directly or indirectly. I don't know how often they come out with figures during the holidays, it seems pretty erratic.

The Thursday before Christmas the only number available was for Lord of the Rings, most sitres didn't even bother posting Christmas Eve figures - or they couldn't get them, or they weren't released until later.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 30th, 2001, 02:47:40 PM
It would have been easier if Exhibitor Relations Inc published the numbers on the Internet for everybody to see. But I am guessing they might be paid for subscriptions etc? Their <a href=http://www.exhibitorelations.com/>website</a> is currently under construction. Perhaps they will use it as a portal for publishing box office figures in the future.

Btw, Box Office Mojo released som numbers:

Saturday 29

$13,422,000
+10.8%/ -23.1%
3,359 / $3,996

Sunday 30

$11,800,000
-11.9% / -23.9%
3,359 / $3,513

Total:
$154,517,000 / 12

I have no idea how they can publish any figure for sunday so early. It is still sunday. Perhaps they are guessing. :p

Master Yoghurt
Dec 30th, 2001, 03:09:11 PM
Saturday 30/12-01 Top 10 Chart

1 THE LORD OF THE RINGS
$13,422,000 +10.8% / $3,996
$142,698,000 / 11

2 OCEAN'S ELEVEN
$6,309,000 +16.4% / $2,052
$122,558,000 / 23

3 JIMMY NEUTRON: BOY GENIUS
$5,591,000 -1.2%/ $1,774
$38,420,000 / 9

4 ALI
$5,463,000 +12.1% / $2,233
$30,499,000 / 5

5 VANILLA SKY
$4,302,000 +22.3% / $1,568
$62,863,000 / 16

6 HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
$3,829,000 +5.7%/ $1,202
$282,105,000 / 44

7 KATE & LEOPOLD
$3,657,000 +12.1% / $1,493
$14,595,000 / 5

8 A BEAUTIFUL MIND
$2,869,000 +24.4% / $5,465
$11,107,000 / 9

9 MONSTERS, INC.
$2,192,000 +4.9% / $1,289
$234,027,000 / 58

10 THE MAJESTIC
$2,037,000 +13.4% / $863
$13,959,000 / 9

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 30th, 2001, 05:29:12 PM
Here is the top 5
1 Lord of the Rings 37.4
2 Ocean's 11 17.4
3 Ali 15.3
4 Jimmy Neutron 15.0
5 Vanilla Sky 11.5
6 Harry Potter 11.5

First off I think the estamite for the FOTR is low it probably made a million more easily because there Sunday estamite is lower than it should be last sunday it did better than friday, so I predict it makes between 12-13 on Sunday and probably makes 38 million for the weekend which is about what I predicted, that is pretty good too and it it will probably take in another 15-20 million over Monday and Tuesday pushing up to somewhere between 170-175 million which is excellent and will push it into the top 9 films of the year, it will easily make 250 I think though because it still has probably a 3 month run, if it gets the typical Oscar push that most oscar films get, it could be higher depending on what happens after the Tuesday, I'm sticking with my original guess of 330 until I am proved wrong.

Master Yoghurt
Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:01:42 PM
Monday results are in..

1. FOTR: 8.05 (162.34)
2. OCEAN'S ELEVEN: 4.42 (132.27)
3. JIMMY NEUTRON: 3.61 (46.86)
4. HARRY POTTER: 2.90 (288.57)
5. KATE AND LEOPOLD: 2.36 (20.01)
6. BEAUTIFUL MIND, A: 2.21 (16.01)
7. ALI: 2.07 (36.74)
8. VANILLA SKY: 2.06 (68.66)
9. MONSTERS, INC: 1.70 (237.86)
10. MAJESTIC, THE: 1.54 (17.17)

8 million is a really good result considering it is a monday + new years eve. I have a feeling this will be another great week with those double digit days. :)

Darth23
Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:50:01 PM
I think Wed and Thursday will be closer to 8 million than 10+ million, now that winter holidays and vacations are ending.

Jedieb
Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:52:41 PM
I started school today so I can tell you that many other school districts reopened today as well. I still think we might see 1 or two double digit days this weekend, but 3 in a row might be tough.

Master Yoghurt
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:47:47 PM
FOTR made $10,188,000 on tuesday. It is now at an amazing $174 million total.

You know, you might very well be right Darth. I did not know school started so early. Statistically, 8 million days would make more sense, I agree. At least that for any "normal" movie. On the other hand, I like how this movie keeps surprising the analysts and it seems to appeal to an older audience. Considering its wide appeal, and that many have not yet seen this movie, I think there is some public interest to see it beyond the holiday.

Master Yoghurt
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:52:57 PM
Some more results for tuesday:

1. FOTR: 10.19 (174.12)
2. OCEAN'S ELEVEN 4.85 (137.00)
3. JIMMY NEUTRON 3.76 (49.47)
4. ALI: 3.36 (39.95)
5. HARRY POTTER: 3.08 (291.59)
6. VANILLA SKY 2.78 (71.40)
7. BEAUTIFUL MIND, A: 2.68 (18.56)
8. KATE AND LEOPOLD: 2.60 (22.23)
9. MAJESTIC, THE: 1.82 (18.91)
10. MONSTERS, INC: 1.72 (239.20)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 2nd, 2002, 08:44:55 PM
Those are great numbers especially 8 for New Years Eve, when most people are out partying, I'm guessing it will make about 14-17 million for Wed and thursday that would push its total to somewhere between 185-190 and push into striking distance of the top 5. I'm thinking it will do another 25-30 for the weekend there by pushing into the top 5 above Pearl Harbor and the Mummy Returns. It still should pass Rush Hour 2 and Monsters INC but the question is will it take the #1 spot away from Harry Potter.

Jedieb
Jan 2nd, 2002, 09:18:23 PM
I wonder how many of those movie goers were hammered?:p

These next few days are going to be interesting. I think FOTR has already shown stronger legs than HP. But how will school effect it? I think it'll handle the strain better than HP because the audience is older. I still haven't seen the damn thing, but I'm hoping for Feb. I may just break down and sneak away for solo trip this weekend.

BUFFJEDI
Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:32:43 PM
.I think school being back in will hurt it mildly.What will hurt it is repeat viewers. There will be those who will go and see it agian.But the average (not huge fans) person will spread the word on how bad the film really is . I think alot will Not get it (even educated people) not just the likes of me :D . What I'm really interested in seeing is how in 3mons a year, how people who are raving about it, feel when the newness wears off. I feel it will do a Potter,here today ,forgot about manyona.But Iv'e been known to be wrong:x . I will go and see it agian and I will try and sit through the whole thing.Maybe I'll get it :) . It took two times to get into Gladiator and now it's one of my Fav's.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:39:12 PM
I think most average moviegoers love, I know a lot of non fans of the books who thought it was awesome, see it a second time and see what you think, its also possible its not your kind of films, which is fine everybody has different tastes.

BUFFJEDI
Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:45:58 PM
I know this sounds childish but , I really wanted to like it .Maybe after hearing all you guys Rave about it I expected too much. But like you said we all have diff tastes. I guy's mines all in my mouth:lol :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:46:54 PM
I think that most audiences loved LOTR as well. I reall yhtonk repeat viewing are kicking in, else how could it possibly sustain such an even B.O.?

BUFFJEDI
Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:06:25 PM
It's still fresh . Whats it going to do in 2 weeks ?does it have leg's?? I couldn't and wouldn't make any bets on what it's going to do BUT I'd say it'll only top out at 300 mil. But than agian 300 mil is only ALOT of money O_o

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 3rd, 2002, 03:14:29 PM
According to Box office mojo, FOTR only fell 14 % on the 5 days New Years weekend from the 5 day Christmas weekend. That to me is amazing. Most movies drop usually 30% and compare it to HP which fell almost 40% in its second weekend. I guess a lot depends on what it does this next weekend but if drops what they think it could make another 30 million pushing over the 200 million mark, putting it in the top 5 films of the year and giving a serious challenge to a certain boy wizard.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 4th, 2002, 08:09:55 AM
Okay, Aussie Box office....

LOTR:FOTR blew everything aside for this week. Last week, it started with an enormous first day record (4 + Million AUD) and this week it followed up with 14.1 million in a week, for a total of 18.2 million. Harry Potter is still strong, but it has done a total of 32.4 million. HP did 5 million this week. LOTR is playing in 404 theatres and HP in 436

Now, I believe Titanic's record is 57 million. It is school holidays for the next 4 weeks. I think Titanic's record could fall. Certainly, I think HP is going to get TPM. I dont doubt LOTR will be far behind. All HP needs is a average drop off of 20% over 8 weeks.

Hmmm. Could be close. Lets see what LOTR does next week to guage it drop offs. Certainly, its actually ahead of HP at the same time - like about 10 MILLION ahead. LOTR gross at Day 8 is 18.2. Potter was some thing like 8.5 million.

Put your bets down folks. Here's one country Titanic could finally fall.

P.S. Ahhh, found it!!! Aust top ten! as of Somethime last week

Aus top ten all time is...

1. Titanic 57.6 million
2. Crocodile Dundee 47.7 million
3. TPM 38.7
4. Babe 36.77
5. Jurassic Park 33
6. ET 32.6
7. Shrek 31.38
8. Gladiator 31.03
9. Harry Potter 30.84
10. Forrest Gump 30.56

Master Yoghurt
Jan 4th, 2002, 12:53:11 PM
I'd say FOTR beats Titanic in Australia! I am not going to bet on it though. I have another bet to worry about first. ;)

Wednesday was a BAD day for box office in the US. Most movies had some dramatic drop offs in the 50-60% range. This really shows the holiday is over and the school has started again. It appears my hope it would reach 10M+ for wednesday or thursday was overly optimistic. Had I done my homework properly and read some BO statistics for early january, I would have seen that the first week into january is a time for some really BIG drop offs.

You have probably read the numbers allready, but some might have missed it, so I will post them here..

1. FOTR: 5.21 (179.32)
2. OCEAN'S ELEVEN 2.21 (139.20)
3. JIMMY NEUTRON 2.13 (51.60)
4. HARRY POTTER 1.61 (293.21)
5. VANILLA SKY 1.42 (72.81)
6. BEAUTIFUL MIND, A 1.37 (19.93)
7. ALI 1.36 (41.31)
8. KATE AND LEOPOLD 1.27 (23.50)
9. MONSTERS, INC 0.88 (240.07)
10. ROYAL TENENBAUMS, THE 0.75 (11.54)

Oh, dear. Does this mean TPM is out of sight now? 5 million per day? Personally, I find it a little disappointing it would drop so "fast". Ok, thinking about it, I have to stop and smile a bit at that last statement. Even at this rate it performs one heck of a lot more solid than any movie released at the same period of time. FOTR shows extreme stabile performance for its two first weeks. At this time Titanic did about 2-3 million per day off the weekend, compared to FOTR's 5 million. What really counts now is consistent low percentage drops in the weekend results in the months ahead. This is where Titanic succeded and TPM failed. Also, one have to keep in mind the Oscar nominations, which tend to boost the ticket numbers.

Here is a graph comparing the box office runs of TPM, HP, Titanic and FOTR:

http://www.the-numbers.com/features/comparison.gif

IMHO, it is far too early to say how it will end for FOTR. But looking at the graph, in this kind of game ("The 400M+ Game"), FOTR obviously needs to have lower drop offs than HP did. 30-40% weekend drop offs are a no-no. It will be very exciting to see how FOTR performs over the weekend, because the results there might be crucial and an indicator of its continued box office run.

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2002, 01:12:24 PM
I was looking at the-numbers.com figures just before I read your post Yoghurt. I think FOTR has strong enough legs to catch and surpass HP. I expected a big Wed. drop because of schools across the country resuming. I don't think we'll know if FOTR has enough steam to hit $400M until we see how the next few weekends hold up. I don't think it has a shot at TPM but it may get to $350M. I'm really interested in seeing if it can manage to topple Titanic in Austrailia.

Darth23
Jan 4th, 2002, 06:53:17 PM
Thursday's numbers are in:

1 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - $3,732,000 - ($182,503,000)
2 Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius - $1,726,000 - ($53,323,000 )
3 Ocean's Eleven - $1,711,000 - ($140,915,000 )
4 A Beautiful Mind - $1,286,000 - ($21,213,000)
5 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - $1,268,000 - ($294,474,000)
6 Vanilla Sky - $1,143,000 - ($73,955,000)
7 Kate & Leopold - $1,080,000 - ($24,463,000)
8 Ali - $1,053,000 - ($42,461,000)
9 Monsters, Inc. - $695,000 - ($240,761,000)
10 The Royal Tenenbaums - $647,000 - ($12,183,000)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 4th, 2002, 07:48:34 PM
I think Yog will be wearing a Leo Avatar!

ITo beat Potter, LOTR will have to be able to make 330 million. Can you see that happening? Not me. 270million tops

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2002, 11:23:59 PM
I think it can make it to 330 (that was my preditction and I am going to stick with it) really it is going to depend on the weekends and not the weekdays now that the holidays are here, still 5 million is probably pretty good for the wed after new Years though it droped a little on Thursday (I wonder how much the big snow storm in the south affected that I know on Thursday much of the south was covered with anywhere from 4-10 inches of snow and southerners are used to it. I know I live in a town in SC and the place basically shut down yesterday and I doubt the movie theaters in this area did much buisness I am sure that took a half million to a million off its total) Lee is predicting 29 and I think Box office Guru is guessing 30 or so, if does that its total would stand at 212 putting it at #4 for the year and only 118 from my estimate. Realize the movie will be in theaters until March for the Oscars and I think it will eventually get to around 330. I don't think it will challenge TPM or Titantic mostly because it so hard for a film to do that IMO.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 5th, 2002, 07:40:32 AM
Here is an interesting fact I gleaned from boxofficemojo.com

The USA box office for LOTR is not nearly as good as the Intl version. In most territories, it's doing stunningly big numbers and eating alive anything released this side of Titanic. Harry Potter did the really big opening numbers in the USA, but the situation is reversed elsewhere. Potter sstill opened big, but LOTR just went far bigger. It's notable in places like NZ and Finland, LOTR is already about to overtake the boy wizard. In Australia, LOTR destroyed all records. In the UK, LOTR stayed exactly level, suggesting it could not possibly do better.

Have look, cause the Intl numbers are incredible. I seriously say it could end up No.2 two Intl. I think needs 559 million I think and I believe it could do it. Harry Potter could end up 4 or 5 Intl.

Isnt this Box office battle exciting? In the USA, I think HP will win out. Intl tho.... LOTR will I think. This is just too cool to watch!

Darth23
Jan 5th, 2002, 03:21:15 PM
I've been reading headlines for weeks at TF.net about how Harry potter has been opening huge and beating Phantom menace records. (in some cases, when TPM didn't even HOLD the record)

Gimme a country by country breakdown. I'm sick and tired of anectodal evidence. :p (I wish there was a good, up to date international box office site.)

BTW, FOTR made 6.9 million on Firday - looks like a 20-22 million dollar weekend, according to Lee's Movie Info. []I think it could be closer to 25 million. A regular Friday doesnt' give it nearly as much time to take in money as a Saturday or a Sunday.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2002, 05:19:55 PM
I don't think HP is going to get to $330 in the U.S. It did very well over the holiday season, but with kids back in school I think you'll see it slow down considerably. It'll pass $300M, but I don't think it will do more than $10M=$15M than that. Another $20M+ weekend for FOTR is good sign. It's international numbers look penomenal. We really should start digging into them some more.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 5th, 2002, 07:00:50 PM
I think your right Darth 25 million does seem more right, it will probably do about 9 or 10 for saturday and maybe 8 for sunday, that would put it at 25 which is still pretty good I think.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 6th, 2002, 04:11:10 PM
LOTR:FOTR will be doing well to pass Shrek now

BUFFJEDI
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:17:19 PM
which SUCKS!!! I dislike LOTR , not as much now as having seen it the second time (this time all the way through. Well made movie good direction , it just wasnt my cup of tea. I have yet to see HP BUT I'm very sure I would hate it 1,000 times more than LOTR , and SHREK oh boy!!!! how the heck did it become top DVD seller is WAY!! beyond me.what I'm trying to say is although I do not like LOTR I fill it is far better than the 2 movies I have spoke of and shouldn't come in 3rd to those loser's.I'm not good at putting things into words so I hope that makes SOME:D sense.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 6th, 2002, 07:58:57 PM
I disagree I am almost certain it will pass Shrek now, Harry Potter is a different story, it will depend on what things. FOTR is at 205, it basically has 3 months left to make it to 300 because of the Oscars, it helps that the movies out there stink probably until March (the only decent looking movie is The Count of Monte Cristo in Feb but I am not holding my breath about it), so I think it will do at least 95 maybe as much 150 depending on the Oscar race, if (this is a big if right now but is getting better after the AFI awards) it wins best picture you can basically add 20 million to it, (just about every film that was still out after winning got a boost) also when the nominations are released that could boost its numbers. One final help will come when they add the Two Towers trailer in Feb or March (they haven't annouced when exactyl yet) to it. The diehards will all go see it again and that should defintly add some revenue to it.

JMK
Jan 7th, 2002, 10:51:40 AM
What a great setup they have money-wise for these movies...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 17th, 2002, 11:32:38 PM
So what does everybody think its chances of breaking 300 is now? It made 5 million over the weekend, and probably will do between 6-7 for the 4 days (probably closer to 6 maybe 6.5) looks like the Oscar nominations really helped and now it total stand about 277, I can't find the official numbers Lee doesn't list anything outside the top 10. But it at least needs 23 million, so it has a chance, it depends on if they start showing it on more screens because of the Oscars and because of TTT trailer, if so I think it easily could make 23 million between now and March 24. It doesn't look good for it passing HP though it would need a strong rerelease and plus I think it would have to great at the Oscars (win at least 8 including Best Picture) and then it would have a small chance because usually the Oscar winner (if its still playing) gets a huge boost from winning the Oscar, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 17th, 2002, 11:45:13 PM
Look out for the re-release to spill it over the line for 300 million.

But I'm not optimistic.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:41:20 AM
I think it'd be cool if it just passes 300 million and maybe even takes ID4 out of the top 10, not that I hate the movie, I think its a good movie but not as good as FOTR.

Jedieb
Feb 18th, 2002, 08:50:14 AM
I SAW IT! I FINALLY SAW IT!!!! :D

My wife felt really bad about my not being able to see it so she twisted my arm and told me to head off to the theater by myself and see it. I kept telling her I could wait until her parents finally moved up here next month but then my local theater drastically cut back on its FOTR showings. Starting Friday they not only moved it to just one screen, but they're only showing it ONCE a night(8PM). So I went on Friday and it was sold out. I went on Satruday and it was sold out again. I finally got in last night and it looked to me like there were only a few empty seats left by the time the movie started (around 250 seats). So it my theater is any indication the screen count should start dropping significantly very soon. With this weekend's performance I'd expect my theater to keep showing it until the Oscars and maybe even add some more showing during Oscar week. If it does get to $300M it's going to limp there. I think it's had an impressive run considering the length.

JMK
Feb 18th, 2002, 02:07:32 PM
This just goes to show how impressive Titanic, love it or hate is. It's pretty much the same length as FOTR if not longer and made more than double the $$$ so far...crazy....

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 18th, 2002, 04:34:31 PM
Makes you really think why, dont it. It just couldnt have just been over hormoned girls that drove the gross to be so high.

I really am just wondering now tho, how the hell Titanic possibly got 1.2 Billion Intl.

Jedieb
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:43:56 PM
The damn movie just worked. It wasn't just teenage girls either. It did well in all demographics and it became a classic date movie. I'm sure Dutchy could provide more reasons, but haven't we done this before? :rolleyes

JMK
Feb 18th, 2002, 07:59:32 PM
YES! I just brought it up as an observation. Let please avoid going through the whole "how and why Titanic did so well debate!"

Please?

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 18th, 2002, 08:06:42 PM
Lest we bring back CINEMATIC or worse.

Champion of the Force
Feb 18th, 2002, 08:08:34 PM
Back to the topic at hand - I agree that FOTR will probably just crawl past the $300 million mark if it does make it. However if not I'm confidant it'll end up in the mid$290 million range at least.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:07:21 PM
So, Jedieb what did you think of it you didn't say too much in your post?

As far as box office the estamites for President's Day has at 6 million in 11th place (it has knocked out several movies that has opened since, A Walk to Remember, Count of Monte Cristo, not to mention Rollerball which dropped like a thud this weekend.) So if the estimates are right it stands at 278.9 almost 279 can it make it? I think it could it's hard to say if it keeps loosing screens though, it woun't be easy. I am hoping that they give it a release soon towards Oscar time maybe add on 500 more screens or at least keep it between 1500-2000 when they add the TTT trailer. This could give it a boost, then there is the Oscars, which could give it another boost depending on what it does, if it wins at least 6 (basically dominating the techincal stuff) I am guessing it won't matter too much but if it win 8+ including Best Picture then it could have a really good weekend (depending on how many screens it is on. Really there are a lot of variables, but regardless it will probably make it 290 something passing both Home Alone and The Empire Strikes Back (:() maybe even the Sixth Sense, it would have to pass ID4 which stand at 306 I think to make it into the top 10 but that won't be easy.

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 19th, 2002, 02:20:40 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
Lest we bring back CINEMATIC or worse.

But those days were fun :D I don't think I've had that much fun bitch slapping someone in a debate in quite some time...damn, that seems like so long ago....

Jedieb
Feb 19th, 2002, 03:17:09 PM
So, Jedieb what did you think of it you didn't say too much in your post?

I thought Jackson did an outstanding job of translating the novel to the big screen. I thought he trimmed just enough off to make the movie work, and he even added some scenes on to the end that gave the film a stronger ending. The film dragged a bit at times, but that was inevitable considering how much story it had to tell. Elijah Wood was excellent and McKian(sp?) was a great Gandalf. I liked him even more than I did Christopher Lee as Sauramon (sp?). The actors playing Strider and the other human character(Boromir?) (his name escapes me for the moment) were outstanding. That final fight scene was incredible.

Coincidently, I saw Moulin Rouge on DVD during the weekend and I loved it. I really enjoyed the medleys (The Show Must Go On was from Queen's last album and it's one of my favorite Queen songs). I don't know if FOTR will be able to sweep technical and costume awards with MR to contend with.

FOTR will end up having close to a month longer in theaters than HP because of the extended run the Oscars are providing it. I don't think this extra time will allow FOTR to catch HP, but I think the Oscar hype will keep it in theaters long enough to reach $300M.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:59:02 PM
I think the same think it should make it to 300 IMO or at least come close, I still think that 93 million opening is the reason why HP will end up winning out if it had opened at 20 million less FOTR would be champion IMO. I think FOTR will win its share of technical awards, I see it taking Visual Effects, Sound, and Makeup easily, it should get Costuming but it will be close. Score will between it and Monsters INC in my opinion, it might win cinematography even though The Man who wasn't there won the ACA (or what ever it is) that won't matter because everybody votes for this and probably a lot of the voters didn't see it and FOTR will probalby take it, thats 5 it should win the others could go either way, Moulin Rouge is only competing with it in Costuming and Art Direction right?

Master Yoghurt
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:20:06 AM
:: Points to new avatar ::

<=====

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:22:08 AM
Eeeeeewwwwwwww..........

Master Yoghurt
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:27:51 AM
Eeeeewww indeed.

I admit it DT: I was wrong, you were right!

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:32:26 AM
Well, that's a first. Me being right that is

Jedieb
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:36:07 AM
Yoghurt, that's a truly frightening sight. You know that shows up with ALL of your previous posts? Eeewwwww indeed.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2002, 02:37:54 PM
I seconds that eeew, I am sure glad I don't bet.

JMK
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:51:33 PM
Run!!!!!!! It's the apocalypse! Leo is here!!!:shootin :darkangel

CMJ
Feb 20th, 2002, 09:23:02 PM
The ACA...you mean the ASC by chance. :P Like I've said before I can see FOTR winning many technical awards...but it has stiff competition. I can see it winning very few as well. For example ones you said you thought it had in the bag...

Visual Effects: Most likely
Sound: This will be a duel to the death with BHD....perhaps even PH which is the only film nominated in BOTH sound categories. Makeup: Easily, I agree
Costuming: Not sure, I think "Moulin Rouge" will win this
Score: Toss up..I actually see ABM being FOTR's main competition
Cinematography: A good chance, though I still like Deakins for 'Man Who Wasn't There'. He also was the cinematographer on ABM which I think will help him...sort of a reward for BOTH films.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:52:01 PM
Yeah I couldn't remember what it was callled sorry :D I'd be shocked if PH won anything considering the fact that a lot of people hated it. Also BHD got hurt with not getting Best picture nod so there could be some backlash or they could reward them with its hard to say. The reason why I said Monsters INC is because it is Disney and they always do well with score (they have won a bunch of them I think they had a streak going there for a while) Also did they stop dividing up the Score category? I remember in past years there was one for best comedic and best dramatic or something along those lines.

CMJ
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:29:16 AM
Yeah...actually bacj in the day there was a category called Best Adapted Score(got cut in the 70's I think). Then there was just Best Score till the early 90's. Then they split it into Best Dramatic and Best Musical or comedy score because Disney's musical's started winning every year. Then 2-3 years ago they made it just 1 category again.

As for there being a backlash against BHD...I actually think it's exclusion from Best Picture might help it in some technical categories. It's likely that the film ended up in 6th place(so just BARELY not getting nominated). I think it has supporters that will want to make sure it's rewarded with SOMETHING. Just a theory. :P

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 08:28:30 PM
Well FOTR made another $3.4 million over the last weekend putting it into 12th spot. It's total now stands at just over $283 million.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2002, 09:02:12 PM
Be a close thing to get 300 million. So close, I'm now fairly certain that unless the bottom falls out of it's market, it will get there

Jedieb
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:08:09 PM
A huge night at the Oscars could very well push it past HP. A night of 4 Oscars or less wouldn't hurt it, but I think it would need something newsworthy to grab the top spot for 2001. Either way, I think the studio will be inclined to keep it around until it reaches $300M. It's awfully close now.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:25:11 PM
They are also adding the TTT trailer March 22, not sure if they will release any wider, I''m going to try and catch that weekend to see it one more time and see the trailer. It should make it to 300 I think or at least very very close as far as HP it would have to have a huge night at the Oscars. 6 or more including Best Picture.

JMK
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:34:18 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath for best picture, but I'm definetly there for FOTR if the new trailer comes out!

Super Wookiee
Mar 21st, 2002, 07:51:07 PM
Current gross: 295.42M

Well its going to make 300M without a doubt. The big question now is: Can it catch Harry Potters 315M

With the Oscars, the Two Towers footage, and increase back up to around 2000 screens in light of the footage i think it can do it.

Helenias Evenstar
Mar 21st, 2002, 08:54:38 PM
i really hope so.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 21st, 2002, 08:59:42 PM
It will make 300, it needs less than 5 million, I don't see that not happening, I'm guessing it will end up making 305-307 going as high as 10th at least passing ID4 and maybe taking the 9th spot from ROTJ, but its going to be tough to pass HP really, its going to have to do well at the Oscars to do it IMO.

Super Wookiee
Mar 21st, 2002, 09:40:27 PM
Box office Mojo has increased its projected total for it a few times this month. Right now they are guessing 310 million for LOTR and 317 for potter. It will be close.

Jedieb
Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:18:53 PM
The release of the trailer should give it a boost, but it's going to need big Oscar wins to catch HP.

JMK
Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:55:14 PM
I think it needs *only* to win best picture in order to give it the boost it needs.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:07:06 PM
That would be my guess, of course I think it will at least 3 techincal awards and I think Mckellan will take the best supporting oscarso if it won BP that would be 5 and would give a victory.

Jedieb
Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:07:46 PM
Best Pic or Director could be enough. If it pulled the sweep and grabbed the supporting actor trophy then I think it will definitely catch HP. But if the only award it brings home are technical and the acting award then I think HP will be tough to catch.

JMK
Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:47:46 PM
I think everyone has already realized that LOTR should have the technical awards, so winning them won't actually help it much at the Box Office if you ask me.

Super Wookiee
Mar 25th, 2002, 10:14:24 AM
LOTR looks to have jumped back up to around 2.4 million ($2,475,000 unofficially) over the weekend. She just keeps hanging in there. Showing far better staying power than Harry Potter did, of course potter had a big jump with that 90 million opening.

JMK
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:05:42 PM
Well i wonder what kind of boost we will see at the B.O. now that the Oscars have come and gone. Seeing as though ABM took best director and best picture, I think the 'boost' the FOTR could have benefitted from is now gone.

Super Wookiee
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:16:48 PM
I notice LORT jumped back into like 600 more screens over the weekend. So it will probably jump again with the TTT trailer on the 29. As i said before, they want to get it back up to atleast 2000 screens. Maybe it will crack 3 or 4 million over the long weekend. 310 Million total seems in reach to me.....after that only 6 or 7 million to Harry Potter.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:27:16 PM
Well the trailer will help, most likely just enough to past ID4 (305) for 10th on the all time list it could pass ROTJ and Lion King which are both pretty close together (307 and 311 respectively) other that that it will be extremely difficult for it to get past HP but as I said before the difference is how much HP made in its first weekend, LOTR had a better drops but that is going to be the difference in the end.

Super Wookiee
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:37:55 PM
Week 14 for Harry Potter was only $323,291 / $314,223,460, compared to over 2.4M for LOTR, which is even better than TPM staying power..........if LOTR can keep rolling for a few more weeks, like it is, until the "summer movies" start to hit the screen in May , it can make it.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:49:31 PM
Maybe but it would have to keep its screens which may or may not happen, I know they are adding some probably 500-700 which will help it but if it doesn't get a big boost from the trailer it will probably lose those screens next weekend. Really it will depend on what happens this weekend if it makes 5 million + then I say it has a chance because it can always make up the difference in budget theaters if not then it might just barely pass ROTJ for 9th place.

Jedieb
Mar 28th, 2002, 09:57:05 AM
It looks like FOTR should hit $300M this Friday or Saturday. I wonder what kind of a bump it'll get this weekend?

Super Wookiee
Mar 28th, 2002, 11:46:26 AM
yep. And hitting 300 million in itself should warrant a few news stories about it.......which can't hurt it. The numbers should be a little higher anyway with people off for good friday.

Champion of the Force
Mar 28th, 2002, 07:55:38 PM
Has the new TTT trailer been released yet?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 29th, 2002, 12:43:24 AM
I think it is suppose to be on it tomorrow.

JMK
Mar 29th, 2002, 04:58:55 PM
It's out today with FOTR. I'm going to try and see it again sometime this weekend.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:38:03 AM
Theatre in Aust I went to was 3/4 full. I've heard of others sold out. New footage is incredible. Brain can not compute

:: Head explodes::

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:45:43 PM
Well I guess the extra footage didn't really help it only did about 2.4 million (it also droped in screens which may explain that it went dow to 1100 from about 1400, I wonder why it left 300 screens, its doing better per average than Resident Evil and several other films that are on more screens) oh well, it past 300, but it looks like it will fall short of Harry Potter probably by about 10 million, I am think it will make it to somewhere between 306-309. Which would place it 9th or 10th domestically passing ID4 for certain and possibly ROTJ (if it can make more than 307). If it doesn't make it pass ROTJ then it won't stay on the top 10 for long, mostly likel AOTC will pass it when it comes out in May, still it has a chance of getting into the top World wide, its 6th right now, and I am certain it will pass ID4 which is less than a 100 million ahead of it, it also has a small chance of passing JP at 4th.

JMK
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:51:42 PM
306-309 makes my guess of 303 million look pretty damn good! :p

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2002, 04:54:52 PM
It looks like you were the closest one JMK.

JMK
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:03:27 PM
You never know what can happen. It could suddenly have a big boost.
But I would have probably been the winner if this were the Price is Right, I didn't even go over! :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:23:09 PM
I thought there was going to be a re-release??? I'm very surprised by the theatre count.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:45:56 PM
I guess they couldn't convince enough theaters to take it back and I really think that is why it didn't do better than any of us though. If it had been in the same amount of theaters as last weekend it probably would have done 3.5-4 million and if it had been in closer to 2000 it could have made 5-6. Oh well its still made 300 million and will make the top 10 for at least the time being.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:57:40 AM
I think there is no doubt LOTR will make more than 310 million. Hoew much more, dont know I would not be surprised if it ends it's run the moment it makes 1 dollar more than Harry Potter did.

Breagging rights you know. TOP MOVIE OF 2001!!!!

Interestingly, the theatre I was at, I would estimate 70% of the people there had no idea new footage existed. I dont think the new footage had a huge influence on the overall B.O.

JMK
Apr 1st, 2002, 07:55:12 AM
I don't think so either, because of it's ho-hum B.O. performance this weekend, and because every single person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about when I mention that there was new footage to view.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:00:23 AM
Yeah its barely in a 1000 theaters and is now heading for discount theaters probably because I think there 3 new movies opening next weekend. I am guessing it only makes another 5-8 million at the most and ends up close to 310, getting at the very least into the top 10.

Super Wookiee
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:29:19 PM
Mojo is predicting 308 now, they had been saying 310 for the past two weeks.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:25:24 PM
Well that would put it in 9th Place ahead of ID4 and ROTJ which would still be awesome numbers.

JMK
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:06:39 AM
Indeed, especially for a 3 hour "fanstasy" movie! I'm really happy this has worked out so well for them. Wasn't there alot of skeptisicm from the studios before forking over the cash?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:55:49 AM
I know Miramax was going to do it but only make one film or something like that, I think New line was worried but went ahead and took the chance. Then I remember reading if the movie failed New Line would have probably folded so actually the film worked out great for the studio and they still have two more films to go which is great since they have already made a profit off the films already.

Champion of the Force
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:45:39 PM
Yep - New Line took a big gamble on making all 3 films at once but it's already paid off and then some. :)

I originally guessed for FOTR to make around $250-270 million in the US, and I thought I was being a bit generous. It's good to see that it's done this well.

Super Wookiee
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:22:11 PM
$812.3million World Wide, #6 of all time and still counting is the more impressive number......means the whole world loves it!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:20:47 PM
I think it only needs like 40 million to pass ID4, for fifth, that shouldn't be a problem, now will it pass JP and TPM those are bigger questions, it would need to make over a 100 million to pass JP that won't be easy and another 40 million to get pass TPM, which would be tough as well.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:24:53 AM
Well, to sum up what I think in the washup...

a) Positives - Before LOTR was released, especially witht he changes I had heard about, I thought FOTR was going to blow. I wasnt alone in that summary, cause how did you film something like LOTR? Even as positive word filtered through, then to near hyterical ravings by critics, I really just didnt think my expectactions could possibly be met. I am so glad to say I was totally wrong. LOTR is one of the all time greats and is just plain incredible. It deserves every dollar it scores and I hope Jackson is a fat rich bastage for life after what he delivered. Awesome job and we Tolkein fans praise you with great praise! 300 million USA and 800 million + INTL is justice for a huge risk that could have been the end of so many people's careers. Has any studio taken such a gamble before like New Line did? Mad Props to them too and congratulations on seeing your money coming back at you in spades.

LOTR has stolen hearts and mind - like, how much Harry Potter do you hear about now? LOTR really put that wizard in it's place.

b) Negatives - I hate how in the end, Harry Potter will beat LOTR. That isn't right. HP was a pretty average film and did not deserve it's numbers. It played it safe and the hype did the rest. Sure, I liked it, but in the end, what was great about it? All it comes down to is the obsence opening weekend HP had. Just 6 days makes up nearly half of the gross of HP, which really showed it didnt really have good staying power. Sure it made squillions, but it's really due to the opening weekend. Just remove one day and LOTR would be ahead. That sucks, cause LOTR fully deserved to win the year.

Oh well. I'm just glad LOTR:FOTR came about in the end

Now for round 2..... I'm sure AOTC will win the year, but who will do better? HP or TTT? I think TTT will have a far bigger opening this time, HP less. I dont doubt TTT could do 300 million USA, I really dont think HP will.

Whatever happens, I'll be waiting for the B.O. numbers at the end of the year.

JMK
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:12:34 AM
I think TTT will beat out HP2. Although I think HP2 will still have another mammoth opening weekend (maybe not as huge HP1). But there's no question AotC will win the year handily.

Champion of the Force
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:43:09 PM
I'm also fairly confident that TTT will beat out HP2. Just looking at all the reviews and user comments on IMDb suggests that after seeing FOTR most people thought that HP was pretty average in comparison.

This time around though people will already have FOTR in the back of their minds so I'm confident TTT will come out the winner of the 2 in the end. :)

JMK
Apr 4th, 2002, 05:02:44 PM
Not to mention the later release of the FOTR DVD, which will keep it fresher in people's mind.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 4th, 2002, 05:05:05 PM
Who would have thought LOTR would have been a critical AND commercial success? That certainly dont happen often :)

Super Wookiee
Apr 7th, 2002, 05:19:35 PM
Looks lime about 1.75 Million for LOTR in week 16, for a grand total of $304,127,000 so far. That means its should catch #10
Independence Day ($306,169,255) in another week or week and a half depending on how it holds up.

Super Wookiee
Apr 15th, 2002, 06:30:57 AM
Weekend 17 for LOTR: $1,300,000
USA Total$305,900,000

JMK
Apr 15th, 2002, 08:06:46 AM
Is that a good total? Is it worth it for theaters to keep it in there this long? What are they hoping to achieve? Pass HP? I think it's painfully obvious that it won't catch it now. Maybe they're waiting to get in into the top 10...

Super Wookiee
Apr 15th, 2002, 08:21:52 AM
Its on 868 screens, down 109 from last week and still making $1,490 per screen. Big trouble, E.T and blade 2 who all placed just above LORT this weekend have lower averages per screen.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 15th, 2002, 11:05:58 AM
it will make the top 10, it neeeds about a million to pass ID4, but it really would have to pass ROTJ if it intends to stay in the top 10 considering AOTC comes out in a month.

Gav Mortis
Apr 16th, 2002, 12:29:31 PM
What charts/tables do you use to check these things? Because I check on IMDB for the top-grossing movies world-wide and LOTR is no. 5. Lookey! (http://us.imdb.com/Charts/worldtopmovies)

JMK
Apr 16th, 2002, 12:31:47 PM
The list at IMDB is an international top 10, which LOTR entered long ago. We're talking about North American Box office top 10.