PDA

View Full Version : An idea...

Jeseth Cloak
Dec 15th, 2001, 02:47:56 PM
Well, remember the switch user accounts option? Is there any easy way to arrange for there to be a login form at every "Reply" text box regardless of if you're logged in or not, and then have it so that if you do use that box, it doesn't log you into the new account but only posts as that account? Similar to the way that when you have your account set to not remain logged in, you have to re-login every time you want to reply. If it's a lot of coding work involved, maybe I will look into scripting such a thing myself, but could you point me in the right direction for some "How To" reading?

TheHolo.Net
Dec 15th, 2001, 02:49:59 PM
I do have the ability to add a log in box there, but the one problem with that is the fact that once you logged in, you would be directed to the Forum Index rather than stay in the Reply screen. But it is a good idea worth exploring further with some of the hacker types at the vBulletin Hack forums.

Nupraptor
Dec 16th, 2001, 08:15:51 AM
You mean, make it so that you can just type in your name and password at the reply screen, like the way Ezboard used to work?

TheHolo.Net
Dec 16th, 2001, 08:23:08 AM
I think that may be what he means. Makes me wonder if we could combine the guest new reply/new thread template and the regular new reply/new thread templates together in some way, we may be able to pull this off with no hack. But I haven't really looked at the templates that closely. I'm not even sure where the guest new reply/new thread templates are. :huh at this point.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just had a look around and there appears to be no seperate templates for guest users and registered users. It would require a hack.

Nupraptor
Dec 16th, 2001, 08:47:00 AM
Well, I'm sure we could insert the fields with a template hack. However, I think that it would still post as whoever you're logged in as, regardless of what you type in, since that information comes from the database. Basically, what we'd need to do is make it so that you're never actually logged in, but have your log in name and password stored in the appropriate fields. UBB works this way. It would probably require extensive hacking to most of the main files.

Jeseth Cloak
Dec 16th, 2001, 06:19:26 PM
Oh, alright... hm, well it was just a passing thought to get around having to log in and out of accounts all the time.