PDA

View Full Version : Notes from the desk of a Mod.

Pierce Tondry
Dec 13th, 2001, 03:09:09 PM
Whoa! An official announcement from yours truly. About damn time, if I do say so myself, and I do.

My last exam was yesterday and my little brother did poorly on his report card, so I will now have more Internet access during Prime Time Net hours and he will not.

With my newfound free time, I intend to finish up Fleet Rules Draft II. I'd like to thank people for their patience on this score. I'd also like to thank you if you just totally forgot about it, because either way it means you weren't pestering me while I was busy with school.

By the way, Yog, if you have a minute I still want to talk to you about the rules. I never did get a chance to talk to you about your problems with them.

I would also like to put people on notice about something. I was originally going to do a whole slew of RPs under the "Cold Cigna Campaign" moniker. However, I don't have the time to do it properly and my patience for it is wearing thin. As a result, I have decided to have all my planned CCC threads that I didn't get to finish simply 'happen' and go straight to becoming part of Pierce's background. If anyone wants to know the general happenings of the RPs, I can post them, but they didn't involve any of the major groups on SWFans so I think there will be few (if any) problems with this move.

I may decide to do flashback RPs in the future to catch up on what I've missed, but that is to be determined.

There will soon be a change occurring with Pierce. It will be related to his soon-to-be-born child, but I will leave the details in the dark at the moment.

And for those of you who think you know what it is... well, I've decided to rework things. because I learned that someone I trusted leaked information to someone who can't keep his mouth shut about anything, especially as it relates to me. I fully expect that half my proposed opposition knows what I'd intended, and to be blunt, that doesn't sit well with me. So... discard all the information you thought you had, because the contingency plans are on.

DarthHERA
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:01:17 PM
Good to have you around more Sniper-dood.

So your post reminds me of a suggestion or idea I have.
I think some one another time before mentioned it, so its not really my idea, but,

what would be really good would be a General Info page that ppl can refer to about the characters here.

Im not talking about every single daily event, but milestones in
characters or the SWForum Galaxy.
So, for example ppl who dont have time to read everything here (me) can not be totally clueless when Mergers or Take overs or Major Battles or Marriages or Deaths or Babies (aaah) etc happen.

or like "Events of Note" or something.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:04:06 PM
Maybe we could put the Review section on the Portal page to use for such a thing? Have each person write tid bits about their characters and submit them there.

To see the page I am referring to go:

http://www.swforums.net/reviews.php

TheHolo.Net
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:06:45 PM
It could be renamed RP Charcter Summaries, or something like that.

DarthHERA
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:16:47 PM
The Review page would be great for looking up whats happeining with individual characters. Good idea.

But I would like a Galatic News Update type thing. You know, not so much "ok, my character can now walk thru walls"

but more like

Date 13/12/2001 NRSF relocated to Arcan IV after invasion by Rebel forces.

or when the TSE relocated.

or when Talasea was destroyed.

or say if the Cizeracks establish another trade post.

events of that nature that form the galaxy we have to
operate in.
It would help new comers..and the old-hands too..to get a real understanding of the outline of our world.

(hope that made sense)

DarthHERA
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:18:17 PM
ooh, you sneaked a little post in there :)

TheHolo.Net
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:20:29 PM
Something along those lines was actually suggested in the super secret batcave (The Mod/Admin Forum) and the issue that we concluded was the detering factor was finding someone to actually do those sorts of updates.

We did think that the Portal Forum would be a good place for such "news" as it could be easily found via the Portal page, or in the Portal News forum. :)

DarthHERA
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:29:16 PM
Well, the thing is time.

I would be happy to help, I just have a natural "organising" streak and writing little bulletins would be fun but I honestly cant read all the threads here. I just dont have enough time to, hence the whole point of this thread.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:32:30 PM
Yeah, time was the factor for the people involved in the Mod Admin forum discussion as well.

Maybe we could get several people involved and have like a weekly or monthly new thread in that forum?

The weekly or monthly thread could be updated by any that wanted to participate/help out, via replies to the topic.

DarthHERA
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:38:14 PM
yah, and too, people involved in these formitive threads could
email a mod or admin to "submit" the event sorta thing. Bring attention to it so it can be added. It could be quite workable.

Plus too, they would be valid events or "milestones" and not just anyone saying ok..we did this or that. It would be an "official" thing.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:40:54 PM
Originally posted by DarthHERA
yah, and too, people involved in these formitive threads could
email a mod or admin to "submit" the event sorta thing. Bring attention to it so it can be added. It could be quite workable.
Actually, just attempting to submit a new topic to the Portal News forum does this already and automatically. Topics created by non moderators of that forum are not displayed until a moderator has reviewed and approved it. It is what vBulletin calls a "Moderated" forum.

Maybe the current events could include links to the relevant threads to help keep the facts all in line?

DarthHERA
Dec 13th, 2001, 11:48:10 PM
That would be perfect. That way, you could read the headliner at a glance, then if you wanted to read in detail, you could just click it and open that very thread.

imported_Eve
Dec 15th, 2001, 07:20:36 PM
Tondry, I know I am glad you're around more. :D

Hera, I swear... you and I seriously do share brainwaves. I had this same idea, and presented it to the mods/admins like a couple weeks back.

Is there anyone here, who does keep up with everything? There has to be SOMEONE.

ReaperFett
Dec 15th, 2001, 07:51:36 PM
well, I'm not as enthusiastic as Eve, but I suppose it's nice you're round more :)

Ironically, you're not on right now, and I wanted to speak! :)

Jyener Celchu
Dec 15th, 2001, 09:34:32 PM
Well, I'm not involved in anything special, and sure could use something to pass the time. I'm willing to keep an eye on events.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 16th, 2001, 02:39:03 AM
*sticks a note to Tondry's back which reads, Remind me to post in my spare time....runs off chuckling to herself*

I dont' have the time to do that...but I think its a great idea. Hera's idea that is.

Also, if anyone has time, do you want to update my personal timeline? I'm so far behind... gah. When swfans moved, the links in my personal database of threads all got messed up. ;)

:D Glad that you'll be around more Tondry.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 16th, 2001, 02:45:03 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
When swfans moved, the links in my personal database of threads all got messed up. ;)I still need to go through and fix mine too. :x But thank the maker the search feature here actually works. :D

TheHolo.Net
Dec 16th, 2001, 04:05:11 AM
Originally posted by Jyener Celchu
Well, I'm not involved in anything special, and sure could use something to pass the time. I'm willing to keep an eye on events. If you would like, please feel free. :)

DarthHERA
Dec 16th, 2001, 04:40:22 AM
Hey Evey, we be connected on the grey matter :)

and Hooray for Jyener!!
I will help ya buddy if ever I can, little taps on the shoulder "hey did you know" etc.

This will be a big help to lots of Players I think.

Jyener Celchu
Dec 16th, 2001, 11:52:56 AM
It's my pleasure to help out. So should I just come to you every week or so with a list of major events, if there are any?

TheHolo.Net
Dec 16th, 2001, 11:59:31 AM
Just write up what you know in a little blurb/post and start a new topic with said events in the Portal News forum. The topic will not actually become part of the forum until one of the Mods of the forum has approved it. Be sure to have a thread title that indicates its nature. Something like

“RP events for the week of December 16th, 2001”

With such a title the only mods who will approve it will be those related to the RP forums. :) If things look good and you do a good job, I'm not in any way saying you won’t, you can be granted Moderator access to that forum after a few weeks and no longer have to have the topics approved before submission. Moderators of the forum are able to post new topics immediately.

Jyener Celchu
Dec 16th, 2001, 12:19:43 PM
Alright, I'll start this week and have one ready for Saturday. I'd rather not have the Moderator privalege though, instead let the others check it. I'm not that confident. :)

Edit - Do you want me to keep track of events in the RPG world, or even OOC things like new rules and announcements?

TheHolo.Net
Dec 16th, 2001, 02:12:39 PM
Two seperate sections would be ideal when fitting, and if you would like or if anyone else would like to help, the weekly topics could be replied to (replies require no moderator approval) with updates be they daily or whatnot.

Jyener Celchu
Dec 16th, 2001, 02:19:34 PM
Yeah, that or just try and get in touch with me through one of the ways in my profile, and I can edit the suggestions in. I already have an idea how I'll be organizing it.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 16th, 2001, 02:22:06 PM
Thank you for offering and wanting to do this for us, I look forward to seeing how it goes and turns out. :)

Jyener Celchu
Dec 16th, 2001, 02:25:06 PM
Thanks for giving me the job. So, um, how much do you pay per hour?

TheHolo.Net
Dec 16th, 2001, 02:28:13 PM
:lol Its a labor of love and thus only pays in your own sweat. :p

Jyener Celchu
Dec 16th, 2001, 03:44:28 PM
Aww, what a jip. :lol