PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Harbor sets record?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 13th, 2001, 01:35:24 AM
Well it couldn't make it to 200 million but it looks like it sold the most DVD's ever in one week 3.7 million. My question is why? The only thing I can think of is two things: one the Pearl Harbor anniversary was a couple of days later and that could have influenced some people, second I wonder how much of 9/11 is involved here. I know there has been a lot of comparrisons made between that horrific event and Pearl Harbor so I wonder if people bought it because of patriotism? The other possibility is that Disney is lying and I am sure the Hollywood Reporter or somebody will try to say that like they did with TPM, but it could be accurate I don't know, maybe more people liked that we thought.

Jedieb
Dec 13th, 2001, 07:57:53 AM
As dubious as the record may seem, there's one big factor thay may make those numbers legit;X-Mas. It is the biggest shopping season of the year and I'm sure many of those sales were stocking stuffers. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers got fudged a bit for publicity purposes, but I think the holiday season and all the reasons you mentioned contributed to strong sales of the PH DVD.

Darth23
Dec 13th, 2001, 08:37:00 AM
I don't know though, Either's a new 'record' every week, so far I've only seen a story saying that TPM's numbers didn't live up to the record - it was a REALY incolplete report on hollywoodreporter.com. I actually paid a premium account so that I could read to full story, I excepted a revised, independant estimate of TPM's dvd sales numbers, but all I saw was the claim that The Mummy Returns doubled the sales of TPM at Walmart and another store. They quoted 'sources' with those stores for that little fact.

Maybe we'll know some actual final numbers at the end of the year. The last chart I saw had Shrek at number one, year to date, and TPM was number 3. The dvd sales lists dont' even come out every week though. they were stuck on 11/4 for like 3 weeks, then the next available chart was for 11/28.

Anyway dvdfile.com had a little blurb pointing out that this was a press release, and that (once again) no third party numbers were given. So it could represent how many units were shipped to the stores.

Darth23
Dec 13th, 2001, 08:39:12 AM
btw, the availablility of dvd and vhs sales figures sucks.

:p

JMK
Dec 13th, 2001, 09:28:41 AM
I think that Christmas has everything to do with it. It's being well marketed.

Darth23
Dec 13th, 2001, 07:39:03 PM
Well they're running a lot of commercials anyway. But then they ran a lot of commercials for the movie whne it was in the theater too.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 13th, 2001, 08:13:33 PM
I think its a combination of what I said and what Jedieb said, but I also think most people who wanted it probably bought. I doubt it will do very well in the long run.