PDA

View Full Version : Star Spangled Banner lyrics

Darth Viscera
Dec 11th, 2001, 08:42:57 AM
The president has asked that we sing the national anthem at 8:46am EST. For those of you of you who need them, here are the lyrics for the anthem:

-----------------------
Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us as a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
-----------------------

If you need a copy of the song, I have a 1.2 meg MP3 file on my comp that I can transfer to you on AIM. My AIM name is "Darth Viscera".

Have a safe remembrance day.

Gav Mortis
Dec 11th, 2001, 10:24:05 AM
I know all those lyrics and I'm a British Citizen. :)

It's not fair, why should you guys have such a great national anthem whilst us Brits still have to sing about the Queen - silly old cow - God Save the Queen indeed. Not very patriotic and the fact that the old bat has no real power or influence anymore makes that song even more pointless. Why not "God Save Great Britain" - it's rather selfish if you ask me.

And as for her mother, the Bionic Woman; in the words of Obi-Wan:

"She's more machine now than woman."

I swear, if there's ever a nuclear holocaust - all that would be left on earth would be Cocroaches and the Queen Mother - she's indestructable!

And the fact that hse is formally, the General of the Canadian Army is hilarious, imagine her on the battle field leading them all into war with her zimerframe. After the battle there'd be limbs and body parts strewn all over the field - and the majority of them would be the Queen Mothers' - they'd have just fallen off.

In the future after several more operations, she is gonna come walking out of that hospital looking like the Terminator, I bet if she had a quote it would be: "I'll be back!"

You can never get rid off the old fossil! :lol

Darth Viscera
Dec 11th, 2001, 10:38:03 AM
:lol

ReaperFett
Dec 11th, 2001, 11:07:22 AM
Gav, your Queen Mother remarks were funny, but you overstepped the mark with the before comment. It is exceedingly patriotic, singing about something that is very British.

Got a problem with them? Fine. Dont ever proudly say you're British, you obviously aren't

Vega Van-Derveld
Dec 11th, 2001, 12:06:21 PM
Not very patriotic and the fact that the old bat has no real power or influence anymore makes that song even more pointless.

I don't see any point in singing about the Queen either. Why should we save her? What has she done? Been born into the royal family - oh wow. That's a lot. If you're going to sing about saving anyone make it the people who actually do things in Britain (who they are, Goodness knows as the politicians don't seem to amount to much either).

ReaperFett
Dec 11th, 2001, 12:24:14 PM
by the same account, why dont the Americans dump Thanksgiving? I mean hell, that was years ago.

Know why? Because they are proud of their heritage, what they were, what they are. Wish we were more like that

Vega Van-Derveld
Dec 11th, 2001, 12:27:07 PM
But how can you be patriotic about a figure head? If we're going to put someone in such a status that we have the Queen in, it should be the Prime Minister

Gav Mortis
Dec 11th, 2001, 01:11:56 PM
Well obviously I hit a nerve with someone there. British or American, it doesn't matter. I am not patriotic, I simply prefer the American National Anthem to ours and adding some humour to what I was saying. On the whole there, I was just stressing my opinion in a light-hearted way and I don't hold any real contempt for the Queen at all. Mind you, why should I be explaining myself to someone who has already condemned me?

Don't ever judge me Fett, ever. And I'll show you the same respect.

imported_Taja Loraan
Dec 11th, 2001, 02:13:57 PM
I'm not British, but I'll be living in England until next Wednesday. I can understand what Fettsa-san is saying about heritage, though.

The reason I don't like the royal family is cuz they don't really do anything yet have continuous media coverage and money being poured onto them. I.e., the Queen Mother .. she fell, or had a stroke, can't remember. If it were an ordinary elderly woman, would anybody have given a damn, or would it be all over TV?

I just basically think they should earn their "good name". Take the King of Thailand for example .. okay, so at the movies you have to stand while the national anthem plays, and bad-mouth the royal family and you'll get arrested. But their King has done a heckuva lot for them, and so the public adore him.

Oh yes .. and I'm Bangladeshi. I'm not very patriotic either, and with good reason. I know first-hand that the political state of the country is hell.

ReaperFett
Dec 11th, 2001, 02:32:02 PM
Don't ever judge me Fett, ever

Right, allow me to just post two more quotes:

What I said:

Got a problem with them? Fine. Dont ever proudly say you're British, you obviously aren't

What you said

I am not patriotic

So, I ddn't judge you, I read what you said, and it was obvious you arent. You then confirmed it. Judging you? Nope

Gav Mortis
Dec 11th, 2001, 02:40:27 PM
Actually, if you say that about me before I said "I'm not patriotic," then how in Gods' name can you not be judging me?

I said nothing against you and I took offense to the way you responded to my opinion; challenge my opinion and I don't mind, insult it, that's fine with me but when you make assumptions about me like that, there is no need!

ReaperFett
Dec 11th, 2001, 03:00:45 PM
like I said, I read it from what you said. And rightly so, it turned out.

If you had said that you were, Id have apologised. But you didnt. You said what I said. Hence, I hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head

Live Wire
Dec 11th, 2001, 03:09:06 PM
For the record Americans havent dumped thanksgiving cause we need the 4 day holiday weekend and we like turkey!!!! Without thanksgiving we'd never get turkey and home made stuffing and pumpkin pie its just too much damn work. You need the 4 day weekend just to cook and clean up all the crap afterwards!!!

Thats why thanksgiving reigns in america! Its not about the damn pilgrims! Its about FOOD!!!!:D

Gav Mortis
Dec 11th, 2001, 03:14:32 PM
Nevertheless, you shouldn't get yourself into a position where you might have to appologise for what you say. You assumed something about me and I hate that. You did judge me Fett, correct as you were to an extent, regardless of that you still judged me.

I in no way did any wrong against you so why did you react the way you did because I certainly got cold vibes from your post - there's no doubt about that.

ReaperFett
Dec 11th, 2001, 03:28:52 PM
Without thanksgiving we'd never get turkey and home made stuffing and pumpkin pie its just too much damn work

Dont you have Turkey and stuffing at Christmas?

I certainly got cold vibes from your post - there's no doubt about that

Cripes man, haven't you been out side? IT'S FREEZING!!! :)

Live Wire
Dec 11th, 2001, 03:30:21 PM
occasionally but a lot of people go for ham since they do turkey at thanksgiving. See this way you get Turkey and Ham...it really works out well. :D

ReaperFett
Dec 11th, 2001, 03:35:00 PM
you are a nation of thinkers, eh? :)

Cant see how you can eat Pumpkins for though. When I was younger, I used to think you didnt eat them, just cut faces out of them. Now I've tried some, I just think that SHOULD be what they are for :)

Live Wire
Dec 11th, 2001, 03:42:43 PM
YOU DONT LIKE PUMPKIN!????!!!!

Pumpkin pie rocks! Especially when its home made from scratch! And pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin pie ice cream (from baskin robbins)

okay Im going to get ice cream now

ReaperFett
Dec 11th, 2001, 03:48:23 PM
Pumpkin pie rocks! Especially when its home made from scratch!

And there I was thinking it was made from Pumpkins :)

Live Wire
Dec 11th, 2001, 03:52:34 PM
:rolleyes let me guess you're a microwaveable tv dinner junkie?

ReaperFett
Dec 11th, 2001, 04:16:28 PM
nah, heated wires taste horrible :)

I eat a lot of them, but I eat a lot of non-stuff too

Sanis Prent
Dec 11th, 2001, 04:26:14 PM
I'm not a big pumpkin pie fan....but I do like roasted pumpkin seeds. They are very good.

Live Wire
Dec 11th, 2001, 04:32:25 PM
oh yeah and those are good too!

lol. what is non stuff anyway?

Sanis Prent
Dec 11th, 2001, 04:34:08 PM
You know LW....you really need to try some real southern food sometime.

ReaperFett
Dec 11th, 2001, 04:38:46 PM
non-stuff means non-microwavable food :)

Live Wire
Dec 11th, 2001, 05:10:26 PM
I have had real southern food before! My fathers family is all from the south! I had a southern accent up until elementary school!

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 11th, 2001, 05:31:08 PM
suuuure LW

Live Wire
Dec 11th, 2001, 05:56:51 PM
you dont have to believe me. I dont need your approval

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 11th, 2001, 06:12:39 PM
Yes you do!

Live Wire
Dec 11th, 2001, 06:35:46 PM
I do not! You mean nothing to me! You are the dust under my boots!

Leeloo Mina
Dec 12th, 2001, 09:20:22 AM
Originally posted by Live Wire
For the record Americans havent dumped thanksgiving cause we need the 4 day holiday weekend and we like turkey!!!! Without thanksgiving we'd never get turkey and home made stuffing and pumpkin pie its just too much damn work. You need the 4 day weekend just to cook and clean up all the crap afterwards!!!

Thats why thanksgiving reigns in america! Its not about the damn pilgrims! Its about FOOD!!!!:D

Damn straight.

Originally posted by Live Wire
occasionally but a lot of people go for ham since they do turkey at thanksgiving. See this way you get Turkey and Ham...it really works out well. :D

We always have ham on christmas.. that's the ONLY time I ever eat ham. . heh.

And yes you do!!

Morgan Evanar
Dec 12th, 2001, 11:15:00 AM
Ham = pig = sick me.

Gav Mortis
Dec 12th, 2001, 11:58:05 AM
Are you Jewish, Morgan? Or do you just not like food products from pigs?

Live Wire
Dec 12th, 2001, 01:29:56 PM
yummmm pig!!! bacon! pork chops! ham! sausage!!!!!

I should probably think about eating sometime today lol

*goes off in search of food*

ReaperFett
Dec 12th, 2001, 02:34:19 PM
"Dad, they are all from the same animal"

"Sure Lisa, some magical, mystical creature"

:)

Gav Mortis
Dec 12th, 2001, 02:50:17 PM
:lol

Homer is great!

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 13th, 2001, 04:22:48 AM
Aw that is so sweet. Two Britishers brought together over The Simpsons.

And for the record, as I lived in Britain for 7 years, I've seen the Queen Mother in person. She looks normal to me.

Of course...she still looks the same NOW as she did then...and its been 15 years...O_o

Live Wire
Dec 13th, 2001, 02:54:18 PM
Wow thats well preserved. She should go in a book right next to the price is right guy.

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2001, 03:03:09 PM
maybe she sleeps in a jar of pickle?

Or, every night sips the blood of a local virgin....

:)

She shares her birthday with me and the guy that played Wes Janson in ESB. Little fact for you :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 14th, 2001, 04:22:22 AM
Then she MUST be cool. :)