PDA

View Full Version : Two week until LOTR!!

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 5th, 2001, 06:59:02 PM
How many of you are going to be in the theatres Dec. 19 when Lord of the Rings opens? It looks to be awesome!

Nupraptor
Dec 5th, 2001, 07:07:19 PM
I have a counter on the top of my personal messageboard, counting away the days. I watch the trailer (at the very least) 5 times a day. What do you think?

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 5th, 2001, 07:14:44 PM
I would say you are as bad as me! *grin* I am so looking forward to this movie, the timeless classic deserves the big screen recognizition and I think it was produced in a timely fashion with today's cgi technology.

Admiral Lebron
Dec 5th, 2001, 07:28:04 PM
Pre-sales for the US start today.

Sanis Prent
Dec 5th, 2001, 08:32:17 PM
I'll watch it when I finish the book

Shade Magus
Dec 5th, 2001, 08:58:10 PM
no matter what any of you say it will never be as good as the book. they will screw it up somehow.

Khemir Sett
Dec 5th, 2001, 09:01:58 PM
They will somehow screw it up, they can not feature every single aspect that you read from the book; but it would be cool if they did. I am most likely going to go see it at the theatres I am not saying the day it comes out or the week it comes out but after the sales have died down to go and watch it. That is when I like to go, eat my popcorn and slurp my slurpie with no one trying to fight me over for my arm rest :)

Nupraptor
Dec 5th, 2001, 09:08:49 PM
Just because they're not going to incorporate every aspect of the book doesn't mean that they're going to "screw it up". It's a movie, fer chrissakes. Short of making a 10 hour movie, there's no way that they can incorporate every last element of Tolkien's classic. And it's fairly long as is, clocking in at almost 3 hours. The director himself stated that it's not supposed to be a verbatim translation of the novel: Just his interpretation of it.

I was worried (albeit briefly) that they might make a mess of things. But after having seen the trailer, my fears were allayed.

Jedah Lynch
Dec 5th, 2001, 09:21:53 PM
Ony read the Hobbit and The Two Towers but from most reports hearing it seems most fans of the books who saw the preview screenings are pleased with how the first film came out.

Only negative comments I heard was how some casual movie goer didnt exactly understand what was going on.

Nupraptor
Dec 5th, 2001, 10:22:43 PM
So let me get this straight... you skipped right over Fellowship? o_O

Jedah Lynch
Dec 5th, 2001, 10:36:12 PM
I was in an airport, bored waiting for four hours.

That looked like the only good book and they didnt have the first one.

Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it:D

Besides, plan to buy all three next week:)

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 5th, 2001, 11:04:59 PM
I am currently reading FOTR with only about 130 pages left then going to go right on through to The Two Towers. Christopher Lee portrays Saruman the White and looks especially menacing. As we all know this famed actor portrays Count Dooku in Episode two. He turns an healthy 80 this may.

Nupraptor
Dec 5th, 2001, 11:11:51 PM
And Ian McKellen (who played Magneto in the X-Men movie) does a great Gandalf. :D

Lady Vader
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:00:55 PM
I've already got my tix for the 12:01am (first showing) of LOTR at my theater for eeeeeeaaarrrllyy Wednesday morning of the 19th. :D

Oy, I'm gonna be tiiiired!!! |I

But it'll be fun!!! :crack

Champion of the Force
Dec 6th, 2001, 07:49:16 PM
It doesn't open until Dec 27th down under. :\

Anyways, most of the early reviews are favourable. When I first heard they would be cutting this and that out and rewriting certain scenes (eg. Arwen picking up Frodo instead of Glorfindel (sp?) ) I was concerned that it would cripple the film, but after seeing Harry Potter (which IMHO tried to include every possible scene at the cost of the depth of the story)it's probably for the best.

Question is, can it break Titanic? :p

Rama
Dec 6th, 2001, 10:19:21 PM
Im gonna see the movie then read the book. If I read the book first I wouldn't enjoy the movie, so im gonna watch the movie and then read the book. That's how i did interview with the Vampire.

BrantCairn
Dec 6th, 2001, 10:24:59 PM
Have any browsers found images of Gimli or maybe Aragorn?

Mortaniuss
Dec 7th, 2001, 01:01:47 AM
There aren't to many images of Gimli to be had, but there are plenty of Aragorn floating around.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 7th, 2001, 02:50:08 AM
*takes a deep breath* IamsothrilledthattheFellowshipoftheRingiscomingout thatI'mRABIDaboutitandIreallyreallyreallyreallyrea llyreallycan'twaitanothersinglemoment! *breathes*

*translated* I can't WAIT!

I got the movie poster for my birthday, and a book about the making of the movies, I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED I can't STAND it anymore! I NEED MY TICKETS!!!! :cry:cry

Gimli looks awesome, as does Aragorn. My nephews got the trading cards, and are having trouble understanding the rules, but the pics on those are simple awesome. I'm tempted to get some. I *will* get some.

Figrin D'an
Dec 7th, 2001, 11:01:19 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
I've already got my tix for the 12:01am (first showing) of LOTR at my theater for eeeeeeaaarrrllyy Wednesday morning of the 19th. :D

None of the theaters in my area are having a midnight screening... I was kind of disappointed with that, but I was able to get tickets for the first show on the 19th, which is 11 AM. So, I guess I'll survive.... ;) I got tickets for additional shows as well, since I know I will want to see it a few times.

I seriously doubt that the film will take out Titanic (unfortunately), but if it gets great word-of-mouth reviews, I could see it making between $350-$400 million. A lot of it will depend upon how well it does over the 'Christmas Vacation' season.

Lord Gue
Dec 7th, 2001, 11:12:46 PM
Ya know, I never read none of the books, but I think I have a map of one of them in my room for some reason. Is their a place in the east that has a mountain range that kinda looks like a drgon if ya look at it too long?

DarthNuriko
Dec 8th, 2001, 10:53:09 PM
I took the day off so I could go see it on opening day. :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 9th, 2001, 02:46:05 AM
I'm tempted to get my tickets online, even though its an extra dollar....I can't get anyone to drive me to the theatre! I have tomorrow off, but there's a birthday party so I can't go walk up to the theatre.

I'm going with my two nephews, who were introduced to LotR this summer BY ME and my sister, and are as rabid about it as I am. I should make THEM walk to the theatre. I'm so afraid I'm not going to get a ticket! :cry

:(

I have the day off work though. YAY! :D