PDA

View Full Version : Galaxies takes a major credibility dive

ReaperFett
Dec 5th, 2001, 05:02:16 PM
They announced Endor as a planet. Yep, three planets now majorly trees. WHY? The planet isnt meant to be populated! It's as if they just listened to the annoying people who want to be Ewok hunters. So, whats next? Hoth? Kashyyyk for more trees?

darth_mcbain
Dec 5th, 2001, 05:06:26 PM
What are the other planets? I haven't really been following. I guess Endor could be cool - but maybe not depending on what the others were...

ReaperFett
Dec 5th, 2001, 05:21:29 PM
Tatooine
Corellia
Naboo
Yavin IV

Seven total, so we have seen 5/7ths of them

Jedieb
Dec 5th, 2001, 08:46:31 PM
I'm not really up on what's going on with Galaxies but it seems to me they're trying to take advantage of all that rich backstory generated by the Ewok TV movies and the cartoon. >_<

ReaperFett
Dec 5th, 2001, 08:52:40 PM
btw, something I found out. Chirpa died, Logray is the new tribe leader and Wicket got married.

And thats true :)

Khemir Sett
Dec 5th, 2001, 08:59:39 PM
Do oyu have the website with you at the moment or can you get it to me Reaper. I want to take a peak at that :) lol

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:44:05 AM
Its in the Essential Guide to Aliens (or similar name) book

Khemir Sett
Dec 6th, 2001, 04:10:55 PM
Thank ya :)

imported_QuiGonJ
Dec 6th, 2001, 04:43:23 PM
I gotta admit, I don't care for it so much either, but the background they gave does make it seem more reasonable. Like Tatooine, it is rather well-known for a backwater world.

Seems the forest moon is used in an Aurra Sing comic book, so travel there occurs in the Ep1 time frame. Yuzzums (as seen in Splinter of the Mind's Eye and the ROJSE) have been established as being native to Endor, so there is at least one space faring race on the planet.

As for the cartoons, yes, those are used to show humans appeared there before the Empire and as a mild art reference, as they are using a less cartoony version of the Duloks and other creatures that appeared there.

And, as the game opens, the first Death Star has just been destroyed. The Empire has either not established the shield generator base, or it will not be seen in the roughly 100 square mile playable area we will allowed to play in. So, we will not be able to "discover" the base or the second Death Star till later on.

Oh, and players will have to charter flights to the planet if they want an Ewok safari, and no plyer buildings will be allowed there. If you die there, you will respawn at your starting planet instead of on Endor, so it will be a true wilderness world.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:21:59 PM
I think they want it as a frontier world, it still sounds okay ot me besides the other planets are great so what will the other two be: Coruscant?, Bespin?, Chylandria? Mon Calamaria?, Nar Sharadda?, Bothia? I doubt they will do Courscant it is just too crowded, I am guessing Bothia, and Chylandria but that would be a guess.

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:41:03 PM
Bothia? Do you mean Bothawai(Bothans home world)?

imported_QuiGonJ
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:58:19 PM
They haven't said and there is a lot of debate about it, but they did say at least a couple of planets will from Episode II. Just cause they have actively started seven worlds doesn't mean there won't be more. :)

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2001, 06:01:36 PM
Anyway, that thing you said about. So Endor is now just an Ewok killing area. What guff

imported_QuiGonJ
Dec 6th, 2001, 06:06:14 PM
no, not really.. we'll have Yuzzum cities and possibly resource harvesting areas.

For the most part the Devs aren't really making uni-climate worlds. The tv movies and the cartoon series show a desert area and they want to make a desert that doesn't resemble Tatooine.

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2001, 06:16:02 PM
Qui, remember wholl be playing this. WHen you go the boards, 99% of the people who wanted Endor was for Ewok Killing. I doubt that'll change, especially because of the restrictions

imported_QuiGonJ
Dec 6th, 2001, 06:44:07 PM
Then again, Ewok killing might not be that easy.. they took out stormie batallions. I think they will be killing more than a few would-be poachers.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 6th, 2001, 11:36:29 PM
Yes I meant Bothawai,:o I just couldn't remember how to spell it. I think there will be more two, I think they just want to get the thing released first.

ReaperFett
Dec 7th, 2001, 06:33:13 PM
Think I will be buying it still, as of now. I thinking of trying to be a Jedi, and seeing if Id actually go dark by how Id be :)

Jedieb
Dec 7th, 2001, 09:22:03 PM
I'm really in the dark about this game. Just when is it going to be released? How much time do you have to put into it? What's the point?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 8th, 2001, 12:14:31 AM
They say its suppose to be released next spring. As far as how much time you can spend it I don't know but they claim casual gamers can play it too but it is very addictive it could be a problem. To me it looks like a Sim game sort of cross between The Sims and Ultima Online but that is a guess, I think Qui-Gon would be your man best suited to answer that question.

Khemir Sett
Dec 8th, 2001, 03:58:06 PM
Jedieb, I am totally in the dark as well. I have visited a few sites about it but they did not give out good information on its gameplay or anything of that caliber. Oh well.

imported_QuiGonJ
Dec 10th, 2001, 07:08:18 PM
It's basically a Massively Multiplayer Online game set in the Star Wars universe where you become a person living in the SW galaxy just after the Battle of Yavin.

Think of it as the roleplaying boards with graphics and defined rules for combat. Mining, crafting, exploration, and later on, space battles.

Here is my background article on CCnet:
http://www.coruscantcity.net/CoruscantCity/board/Forum9/HTML/000235.html

Here is the beginning of a similar set of articles on the SWG site:
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/features/swg_manual/cha1.jsp

Hope it helps! :crack

darth_mcbain
Dec 10th, 2001, 07:14:23 PM
As far as I understand, it is supposed to be massively multiplayer, but you are also supposed to be able to play it solo (i.e. you don't need to form a band of friends to go adventuring with). I haven't really played them, but I've heard that that was one of the drawbacks to some of the other multiplayer games like Everquest - that you had to form a party if you wanted to get anywhere in the game and that if you went solo you might as well just give up and die...

As for time committment, I somehow think this would be a really addictive game and would be a huge time committment. Also, with games like this, you usually need to play for quite a while to make it worth your while (i.e. to build up your experience), so I don't think it would be a game to be played just casually.

I'm debating getting on to it. On the one hand, it would take up a lot of time, I'd get no sleep, and my wife probably wouldn't like it. On the other hand, its SW... Tough call to make :)

imported_QuiGonJ
Dec 10th, 2001, 07:19:44 PM
Actually, McBain, they did away with experience points and levels, so casual players can play. They figure that will lower Sony's bandwidth bill and lower the player burnout rate. :)

Jedieb
Dec 10th, 2001, 08:34:52 PM
Thanks QuiGonJ, that was an informative article. Now I know it's something I CAN'T get into. I'll stick with console games. I was never really into roleplaying. But it certainly sounds like something you're looking forward to.

imported_QuiGonJ
Dec 10th, 2001, 09:44:13 PM
well, it's a mass market game, so they aren't expecting everyone to stay on character all the time. ;)

Besides, all roleplay means in SW terms is not bringing up box office issues or Britney Spears. It's not like you need to say thee and thou all the time.

However, I played Asheron's Call for two years, so the improvements they've made in the gaming model alone (not graphics, but rulesets) mean yes, I would be looking forward to this game even without the Star Wars license attached, but since it IS Star Wars, that's all the better!