PDA

View Full Version : Reviews in for LOTR

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2001, 04:42:36 PM
Just wanted to let people know that the first couple of reviews are in for LOTR here is one by Variety that has good things to say

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-1108476/reviews.php?critic=columns&sortby=default&page=1&rid=269825

Rotten Tomatoes has 5 total up and all are postive and I heard that Rolling Stones is proclaming LOTR to be the best film of the year. So far things are looking good for it. I hope these reviews continue.

darth_mcbain
Dec 5th, 2001, 04:49:12 PM
I posted this in a separate thread, but it belongs more over here - another review...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/666107.asp?cp1=1

So far, the reviews are looking good - I can't wait for this one...

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2001, 04:53:29 PM
Yeah it does look great I can't wait for it.

ReturnOfTheCB
Dec 5th, 2001, 04:54:20 PM
I sure hope they keep coming in like this too...I've read a few more reviews, but I can't quite remember where they were at or I'd post the link. The only "bad" things I've seen were by die hard Tolkein fans, and they were just nitpicking, so hopefully it'll be a success. I've read several articles that say that advance ticket sales in many countries have surpassed Potter's by a long run, so I'm still thinking LOTR may have a chance at the Box Office...

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2001, 04:59:32 PM
Speaking of advanced sales has anybody heard if they had started selling them in the US? I was hoping to get them before the 19th I am afraid it will be sold out when I get there. I think it has a great chance at the box office and will pass HP and become the #1 film of the year.

darth_mcbain
Dec 5th, 2001, 05:07:45 PM
They have the movie listed on Fandango, but the links for ordering tixx seem to be down. Either the tickets are on sale through them and they are just having technical difficulties, or they are getting the links ready, but until the tixx go on sale they won't work...

ReturnOfTheCB
Dec 5th, 2001, 05:17:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the tickets are on sale...I think MovieFone had them the other day...unfortunately the theather I'll be seeing them at doesn't sell tickets online....*grumble*

Figrin D'an
Dec 5th, 2001, 06:05:37 PM
Tickets are indeed on sale as we speak. A friend of mine bought enough for our little group this morning. An 11 AM show on the 19th, the first show of the day. He was told, at the time he purchased the tickets, that the first show was half-way sold out (after only about 15 minutes of being on sale) and others for the evening were filling up as well (this was at about 10:30 this morning). It's likely that many screens for opening day are already sold out by now or are filling up very quickly. So, the advance ticket sales seem to be going well. :)

JonathanLB
Dec 5th, 2001, 09:31:44 PM
If this film is received very well, yeah it could probably do $300 million. That would be pretty awesome if two films broke $300M in the same year. Only happened once before, right? Lion King and Forrest Gump?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 6th, 2001, 02:43:37 AM
Well I guess I better go rush out and then buy them. The theater I want to go to is Regal and I am not sure if they are selling them yet (Regal is bad about that) I guess I better call and see what there plans are. And yes I think LOTR has a great chance at 300. I have been saying it all along that it will suprise a lot of people in the media (everybody has been pointing at HP and ignoring LOTR) and become the #1 film of the year. Hey it might even it got Oscar nominations EW is at least saying it has a chance Ian Mckellen for example is always a good bet he is such a great actor. The film could get a best picture nod just like ANH did because it is a breakout movie.

JonathanLB
Dec 6th, 2001, 09:05:23 AM
That I very much doubt given that it is a fantasy film adapted from a book. I mean, it could happen, it certainly would be nice to see the Academy nominate a real movie instead of an indie film, which has been happening a lot lately. I mean, with Gladiator, even American Beauty, Saving Private Ryan, etc. Lots of real movies nominated, lots less indie garbage that really doesn't deserve anything. :)

Dutchy
Dec 6th, 2001, 09:50:15 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
That I very much doubt given that it is a fantasy film adapted from a book. I mean, it could happen, it certainly would be nice to see the Academy nominate a real movie instead of an indie film, which has been happening a lot lately. I mean, with Gladiator, even American Beauty, Saving Private Ryan, etc. Lots of real movies nominated, lots less indie garbage that really doesn't deserve anything. :)

What's your definition of a REAL movie?

CMJ
Dec 6th, 2001, 12:04:04 PM
Geez Jon...it's actually kinda rare that Indies win Best picture....

2000 GLADIATOR
1999 AMERICAN BEAUTY
1998 SHAKEASPEARE IN LOVE
1997 TITANIC
1996 ENGLISH PATIENT
1995 BRAVEHEART
1994 FORREST GUMP
1993 SCHINDLER'S LIST
1992 UNFORGIVEN

In that what 10 year period...2 indies won Best Pic....

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 6th, 2001, 12:18:41 PM
LOTR has a shot they always nominate one big movie at least if not more, and this has been a weak year here is my guess which ones will get nominated
LOTR
Ali
In the Bedroom
Moulin Rouge
Black Hawk Down

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2001, 12:19:36 PM
Forest Fump:)

CMJ
Dec 6th, 2001, 12:41:22 PM
I had counted MOULIN ROUGE out....of course with it's win at the National Board of review...it will probably make the cut. The winner of the NBR has been NOMINATED for Best Pic, like 10 of the last 12 years.... Here's the baord's top 10 films oof 2001....

BEST FILM - MOULIN ROUGE
In The Bedroom
Ocean's Eleven
Memento
Monster's Ball
Black Hawk Down
The Man Who Wasn't There
A.I.
The Pledge
Mulholland Drive

BEST ACTOR: BILLY BOB THORNTON for Monster's Ball, The Man Who Wasn't There
BEST ACTRESS: HALLE BERRY for Monster's Ball
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JIM BROADBENT for Iris & Moulin Rouge
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: CATE BLANCHETT for The Man Who Cried, Shipping News & Lord of the Rings
BEST DIRECTOR: TODD FIELD for In The Bedroom
BEST DOCUMENTARY: THE ENDURANCE
BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMER: NAOMI WATTS for Mulholland Drive
BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMER: HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN for Life as a House

CAREER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: JON VOIGHT
BILLY WILDER AWARD, EXCELLENCE IN DIRECTION: STEVEN SPIELBERG
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN FILMMAKING: PETER JACKSON for Lord of the Rings :Fellowship of the Ring
DIRECTORIAL DEBUT: JOHN CAMERON MITCHELL for Hedwig & The Angry Inch

ACTING ENSEMBLE AWARD: LAST ORDERS WILLIAM K. EVERSON
AWARD FOR FILM HISTORY: MARTIN SCORSESE for Il Mio Viaggo in Italia
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: SHREK
BEST FILM MADE FOR CABLE TV: WIT
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: LORD OF THE RINGS

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2001, 12:50:34 PM
Oceans 11 and Blackhawk Down look better

Taylor Millard
Dec 6th, 2001, 06:04:47 PM
Go ahead and check it out. All you Harry Potter fans, might be disappointed.

http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,40204,00.html

darth_mcbain
Dec 6th, 2001, 07:07:03 PM
Excellent - another review which puts FOTR in a real positive light. It looks like it will be a really sweet movie... I didn't realize it was about three hours long either - that will be nice - a movie like this needs to be on the longer side - there are just a lot of aspects to the story which I would not like to see left out to make it your standard 95 minute flick...

Taylor Millard
Dec 7th, 2001, 12:12:37 AM
I've always enjoyed films that were 2.5 hours or longer. But there something nice about a 90 minute film. But with a film like LOTR...it'd better be long.

darth_mcbain
Dec 7th, 2001, 01:53:13 AM
Oh don't get me wrong - there are definitely 90 minutes flicks that I like, but it is a different kind of movie. And unfortunately, a lot of the movies which come out of the Hollywood cookie-cutter are around that length, so I usually associate a film that is 90 minutes to be bad (unless it is animated, in which case 90 minutes is about the right length). But you are right - for a movie like LOTR, 90 minutes won't cut it...

Darth23
Dec 7th, 2001, 09:06:34 AM
I hate 90 minute films, it just seem like such a scam. I know a lot of kids movies and comedies are aroudn 90 minutes, but I've always thought that the standard length for a movie should be 2 hours.

----------

I read a positive review at rottentomatoes, but the guy kind of dissed the movie a bit. I think that in general the film is at lease going to be a critical success. That should help the BO a bit - i know there area lot of fans of the book that don't really like most of the movies made today, so maybe the positive critical reactions will get them to give the movie a chance.

ReturnOfTheCB
Dec 7th, 2001, 10:25:32 PM
Yet one more positive review...I was afraid for quite a while that LOTR wouldn't go over well with the mainstream audience (actually, I really didn't give a damn, cause I knew I'd like it, but for Box office purposes, I care somewhat). Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these initial reviews better than the first round for Potter ? (I'm not trying to start comparisons, I'm just trying to figure out how I imagine how much money it could make)

Champion of the Force
Dec 8th, 2001, 01:46:44 AM
I don't know about HP - I think it had one or 2 negative reviews earlier on.

As for LOTR, the fact that all the early reviews are favourable (save perhaps the one Darth23 mentioned) would probably indicate that most critics are going to like it (ratio of good/bad reviews often tend to be in proportion as they get posted).

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 8th, 2001, 01:31:36 PM
Entertainment Weekly just put there review up here is the link
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/review/movie/0,6115,187102~1~0~lordofringsfellowship,00.html the critic (who has never read the book) gave it an A and said it was an incredible film. So according to Rotten Tomatoes there is now 8 postive reviews and no negative ones so far so good.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 11th, 2001, 10:31:21 AM
Well the London Premier was yesterday and the British critics reviews are up here is the link

http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/11/arts.rings.reut/index.html

They all say it is way better than Harry Potter and few calling it the best film of the year. Even the running time doesn't seem to be a problem a kid said he loved the whole thing. Man, now I am really pumped to see it.

Champion of the Force
Dec 12th, 2001, 07:09:28 PM
Must not get too excited ... must not get too excited ... must not get too excited ...

I'm still going to hold my breath for the American release and what all the critics will be saying there.

:: sets up tent near Rotten Tomatoes.com ::

Champion of the Force
Dec 12th, 2001, 11:28:26 PM
Reviews have started to appear on IMDb as well:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120737

Looking good ... at the time of posting there's only ONE less-than-postive review - and the author only felt that it lacked a bit of magic the novels had. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 13th, 2001, 01:57:11 AM
So far 13 out 13 reviews are postive thats good news so far. I guess we will get more reviews with the movie premier in the US . Does anybody know when that is?

Champion of the Force
Dec 15th, 2001, 12:22:20 AM
It was inevitable - we now have 1 negative review for LOTR:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-1108476/reviews.php?critic=columns&sortby=default&page=1&rid=272489

Oh well - 1 in 19 ain't bad. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 15th, 2001, 12:42:18 AM
Yeah that is still pretty good, we should be getting a few more still probably Monday, I'm guessing that is the day of the US Premier.

Darth23
Dec 15th, 2001, 05:45:16 AM
THe Guardian uk's site hade a somewhat negative review. It's pretty stupid, though. It was basically like "it was really pretty tyo look at, but I'm not into the whole hobbits and elves and wizards thing and the movie didn't make me get into it, so I didn't enjoy it"

ReaperFett
Dec 15th, 2001, 10:26:40 AM
Darth, Guardian has done two. One positive, one neutral.

And come on, dont trust Rotten Tomatoes. I've seen positive reviews count as rotten, and bad as positive. They pick out comments. It's utter BS

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 15th, 2001, 12:18:36 PM
Yeah but I read most of the reviews on the site and most of them are praising the movie a few are giving it 4 stars or a grade of A in case for EW, Newsweek even raves about it, so I think we can say in this case most of these reviews are postive.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 17th, 2001, 11:29:42 PM
Well now its 23 to 1 with a 96% in favor that is pretty good I think we will get the rest in the next two days, I am curious on Ebert's review he gave HP 4 stars I wonder what he will give LOTR.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 18th, 2001, 10:38:20 PM
Man Rotten Tomatoes has sure been busy here is the link of the reviews if you want to read some of them
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-1108476/
but there are now 45 reviews up 42 are postive 3 are a negative for a 93% rating, wow and most of the postive reviews are calling it one of the best films of the year, a classic, etc only Hollywood Report Card, San Diego Union Tribune, and Eclipse Magazine are giving it negative remarks and none of those magazines/ newspapers I have never heard of, but all the major press, NY Times, LA Times, CNN, Atlanta Constitution, Chicago Tribune, etc are raving about it.
Also on another not The AFI award LOTR a nod for best picture. I have to say its looking real good for it so far.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 19th, 2001, 09:52:24 AM
Well Roger Ebert's review is up now he gives the movie 3 stars but he is a little disapointed.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/cst-ftr-lord19f.html

I guess he was a fan of the books from the review and his image of the movie wasn't what he expected. He was disapoined in all the actions scenes and that the hobbits weren't concentrated on enough (I think that problem is because they had to cut down the novel for time sake most of the scenes they cut dealt with the hobbits) He does admit that we might have a different opinion than us and that the film will probably recieve all kids of Oscars. Still, I am a little surprised, he gave HP 4 stars and called it a classic (almost every critic has said that LOTR is better) I guess its because he is biased maybe he will change his mind if he sees it again.

darth_mcbain
Dec 19th, 2001, 10:16:04 AM
I saw Epstein's review this morning and he didn't like it all that much. He gave it a 'C', and said it was not bad, but that it had trouble sustaining the tension, that he didn't like the ending, and that it was too long. I got the impression that he hadn't read the books, and if he did, it was to supplement his review, not to enjoy them and see some of the subtleties of the story. I have found that I generally don't agree with much of anything Epstein says, so I'm not too peeved. The thing I really did not like about his review was that it revealed what I consider to be a spoiler to those who haven't read the book, in that Boromir tries to make off with the Ring My wife is furiously trying to read the first book before we go tonight, and she has about 50 pages to go, and then she read the review and got that spoiled for her... :( Try to have a little tact Epstein...

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 19th, 2001, 01:02:18 PM
What paper does Epstine write for? I have never really heard of him. Still most of the reviews have been glowing, Elvis Mitchell of the NY Times, The NY Post, Gene Schallit (sp) from thie Today show loved it, I didn't hear Joel Sigel's review and now the Oscar talk is beginning. It really looks like it will get a Best Picture nomination, at least it has a chance of getting one.

darth_mcbain
Dec 19th, 2001, 03:14:14 PM
I read Warren Epstein's review in my local newspaper. I had thought he was nationally syndicated, but it turns out he's not... Sorry about the confusion there... At any rate, I rarely agree with his ratings anyway, so I'm just going to go see the movie and make my own decisions...

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 20th, 2001, 01:01:12 AM
Thats cool, has anybody seen RT lately they now have 86 reviews up with 83 postive and now a 97% rating, that is amazing.

Champion of the Force
Dec 20th, 2001, 01:28:38 AM
Thats cool, has anybody seen RT lately they now have 86 reviews up with 83 postive and now a 97% rating, that is amazing.
It is indeed - this bodes very well for the next 2 films. All we now is for this first installment to make some money. :)