PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for a new SWfans Roleplay setting

Lord Gue
Dec 4th, 2001, 11:07:05 PM
First off, thank you for reading my thoughts on this little issuie, and if you could humor me through till the end id be most grateful.
My idea is to start a new SWFans campaign setting, now you may already be scoffing at me, but just hear me out. You might be wondering where this setting could be held at? No, not the unknown regions, but a good guess i'll give you that. Nope, not Vong space either. What im thinking about is a SWFans fan fiction that ive started reading a week ago that I find truly spectacular. If you wish to find out more about the source im working from, goto http://www.newimperium.org . I wish, that if you do like my idea, and that the other admins do as well, that one of you may switch over and become and admin for the new setting.
a brief description of what im thinking is as follows: In a galaxy not very far from ours lies an enemy, deep in waiting and with a fanatical belief that our galaxy is truly theirs. They've been mustering for 25,000 years and want nothing more that to destroy us all. The New Imperium is the governing body of this giant military machine, a huge senate of represenatives from worlds encompassing the entire galaxy govern it, with a democraticaly elected diktat presiding over it. under the senate rules the warlords, ruthless military leaders that control vast expanses of territory in NI space and fight each other to further their own power. Planetary populations are tought that these warlords are even gods to be worshiped, and this belief is even reinforced by the lesser jedi of the region, who's job it is to brainwash the population. More powerfull jedi can reach the rank of admirals or generals, but the most powerful is the warlord himself, with his grand master under him to control and lead the jedicon, as they are called in this galaxy. Also, the jedicon use both sides of the force equaly, calling it the 'true force'.

This is only a rough outline mind you of what i have in mind, I dont want to continue further and bore you with meaningless details if this does not yet intrest you, I wish to know, if you would be intrested, if you would share your intrest, thank you for your time...

Lord Gue
Dec 5th, 2001, 10:01:46 AM
Ive already gotten 4 emails showing intrest, please, If youd like to see this idea bear fruit and your a bit intrested please post here and show it so that the administration knows it.

Lord Gue
Dec 5th, 2001, 12:31:37 PM
<center>
http://www.newimperium.org/entrance2.png
</center>
So far Ive gotten the following peoples support:

1. Darthjedislayer8
2. Contessa Maupoissant
3. Sith Lord Dagger
4. Xena
5. Lord Reuck
6. Alpha
7. Warren Azalin
8. Rama
9. Khemir Sett
10. Darsha Assant

Alpha
Dec 5th, 2001, 05:24:57 PM
This sounds kewl. Put me in that list. :D

Sanis Prent
Dec 5th, 2001, 05:31:08 PM
I balk at the whole Shadow Jedi thing, and have ever since you brought it up a year ago. Sorry, but the idea doesn't float with me.

Admiral Lebron
Dec 5th, 2001, 05:56:29 PM
I saw something very similar to this at TGC about a month or two ago.

Jedah Lynch
Dec 5th, 2001, 09:41:04 PM
Use both sides of the force?

That sounds rather lame, just a way for some to be able to use both sides of the force whenever they want.

Just a pitiful short cut, its the limits of the force for each side that makes them interesting when taken into consideration or actually RPed out. This looks like a way for some who cant cut it either way to do both whenever they wish. Just below a level of god moding.

Lord Gue
Dec 5th, 2001, 11:23:44 PM
Its no short-cut, your thinking about this from the regular galaxy side of things. These people escaped our galaxy 25,000 years ago, during the great sith wars. These were the great jedi and dark jedi masters. They have had 25,000 years to grow and develop their force powers, passing what they've learned from grand master to grand master. Remember, there is only one jedi force, or jedicon, in their galaxy. it covers both dark and light, thats why they refer to it as 'true force'.

Jedah Lynch
Dec 5th, 2001, 11:45:25 PM
No.

Its called an idea someone had to use both sides of the force so someone could be leet or cool. Whatever you want to call it.

Its still a poor idea and is an easy fix for those who want to god mode by using both sides for their own means. At least IMO.

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 12:22:56 AM
While I value your opinion, as I do everyone else's, its integral to the campaign setting. The idea behind it is that these jedicon have been using and learning about the force for such a long time without people trying to kill them all, like they have in this galaxy; with 25,000 years of almost uninterupted practice and knowledge in the force they have learned alot more than is known in our galaxy. The average jedi in theirs is about as powerful as our version of a knight. I think the problem is that your still applying our standards to their galaxy. Here it might be considered god moding to some, but there its the standard.

BTW: Just to clerify, they dont consider themselves, or even know about shadow jedi, i just used the term becuase I knew you were all familiar with it

Rama
Dec 6th, 2001, 03:23:57 AM
I don't like the idea of Shadow Jedi......I;d venture to say that impossible. But I'd also say being a Dark Jedi is impossible. Same people that believe that also believe that Palptime was a dark Jedi even though he clearly states he is a sith in TPM, but I don't wanna get into that.......another fight for another time.

Well Aside from the whole Shadow Jedi.......I do like the idea of a Gaxaly far way that evoled on it own seperate path and that gaxaly meeting ours for the first time and a whole cutlre shock kinda sets it. There would be about a million stories in that.

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 03:25:57 AM
Does that mean I have your support Rama?

Rama
Dec 6th, 2001, 03:27:24 AM
Also Im sure there are force users there just as there are here, but maybe their belifs are different......maybe there could be a whole clash over what is truely evil and what is truely good........A story like that is a gold mine for all kinds of conflict that leads to an overall good story.

Live Wire
Dec 6th, 2001, 03:48:16 AM
I dont like the idea of shadow jedi either. Its a cop out so people can use whatever powers they feel like at that moment. Theres dark and theres light and the two NEVER mix at least in my way of thinking. Im reminded of master yoda's words..."Once you strike down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. CONSUME you it will like it did Obi Wan's apprentice." The dark side consumes and once you dabble in it you've crossed the fence. There is no sitting on the fence with one foot in each side of force.

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 03:57:55 AM
If youve used/learned certain light side powers, why then would you not be able to use them if you went to the dark side. Now consider an entire galaxy being lightside masters that over time became gripped by the dark side, retaining its light powers but becoming masters of the dark. Thats not what happened in this setting, just an example though

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 6th, 2001, 04:11:51 AM
I guess some thing never change. Same Shadow Jedi argumnets....

You can NOT be in both camps. The Light Side and the Dark Side are just too fundamentally different. Do people really have to keep on discussing this? It's been argued and concluded long ago.

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 04:23:44 AM
actually, it was never concluded, as I still believe it can exist in harmony. I have found Star wars sites that agree with me, and now my proposal for the new galaxy happens to be one of those sites to have it.

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 6th, 2001, 04:54:32 AM
I've seen those same sites and they dont have a clue. There is no such thing as a "Shadow" Jedi that basically sits on the fence, because it does not happen.

Light Side and Dark Side do NOT co-exist. You can not use Evil for good, or good for evil.

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 04:58:21 AM
contrary, i forget his name or what book series he was in -that guy who stole the sun crusher-, he used evil for good and good for evil

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:01:14 AM
And Kyp Durron admitted just how wrong he was. Poor example, especially form such a poor book.

Darth Viscera
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:01:31 AM
Kyp Durron

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:02:41 AM
I didnt write the thing, but it fits perfectly to my point

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:03:53 AM
Kyp admitted how wrong he was Gue. Better re-read the book.

Jeseth Cloak
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:07:56 AM
Gue, Light and Dark Side of the Force in my opinion can only co-exist in some rare circumstances, and even then, it wouldn't really be that great of a co-existance. Maybe you'd be able to utilize the Light Side and the Dark Side, but you would never be more powerful than a Light or Dark Sider of your same rank who wasn't "Shadow." You'd essentially always be weaker than both sides of the Force, and be destroyed.

The Dark Jedi use evil for "good," but look how it always turns out. We're essentially still evil... and our views on life and the galaxy are not very "good," when you think about it. :b

Darth Vader
Dec 6th, 2001, 06:34:44 AM
And to think, I was a Jedi who simply wanted love...

...and I descended into the most evil being in the universe.

So no, there is no sitting on the fence.

Darsha Assant
Dec 6th, 2001, 11:05:31 AM
According to this website, www.forceacademy.com
there are Shadow Jedi. I have viewed the lectures on the Shadow. They only call on the dark in battle. Normally they stay clear of altercations. Their goal is the balance of both sides of the polar realms. The Shadow claim they are the true Masters of the force, because they can harness the diverse sides without the detrimental after effects.

So I would have to agree with Lord Gue. It could be possible to introduce these Jedicon. No, they werent in the movies, and I dont recollect any being used in the books, but this website, including lectures of light, dark and shadow, is recommended reading by TGO, so in all essence are allowing the existence of these grey Jedi.

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 6th, 2001, 11:14:58 AM
I've read that site before. Its well put together...but its still a bunch of wishful thinking crap.

Darsha Assant
Dec 6th, 2001, 11:28:05 AM
I agree this opens up a fresh perspective of the starwars universe. Some may be threatened by this new kind of Jedi. I feel it poses an enticing challenge to deal with these Jedicon. It is up to the majority if we wish to rp in this twisted version of starwars reality. I for one am game for any kind of action, and Lord Gue is offering us an intriguing storyline.

Still the present players would find it hard to join in. Since your world is composed of Jedicon, and the members of this board are either Jedi, Dark Jedi, or Sith, not to mention Imperials and Rebels. So we would have to add new characters to partake in this story.

Darth Vader
Dec 6th, 2001, 11:39:39 AM
Challenge? What challenge? There is no yin to counter that yang...its totally out of balance, and hence the bullcrap involved. Its having your cake and eating it too, and I'd believe midichlorians and Yuuzhan Vong a million times before I'd believe a person who can flip-flop between light side and dark side without serious reprocussions against one or the other (And trust me, I've seen turds in a toilet bowl that made more feasible science fiction phenomenon than the Yuuzhan Vong).

Somebody couldn't cut it with character limitations of Jedi or Sith (and boo hoo, they are supposed to be difficult to RP, get over it!) and they wanted a copout. They wanted Superman. There is no blue spandex man o' steel in this galaxy, and sorry to burst anybody's bubble who thinks it possible.

Light Side. Dark Side.

I didn't hear about a grey side...or an off-white side...or even an eggshell side.

Damnation...Shadow Jedi are starting to become the equivalent of OJ Simpson in a Naked Gun movie.

JUST LET IT DIE!

Darth Viscera
Dec 6th, 2001, 11:58:36 AM
Hear Hear!

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2001, 12:01:11 PM
Kyp Durron was possessed by Exar Kun, a Sith Lord. He spent many a year remorsing over what he had done, as shown in such things as the excellent short Simple Tricks.

Now, jump to NJO times. One of the highlights is the Jedi. On one hand, you have Luke, and then there is Kyp. Kyp now believes that a Jedi can go closer to the dark than they do. Look at how Jedi do return from the dark. It obviously isn't TOO hard to return if you are only slightly in. This does indicate a gray area.

However, the theory of an academy like this is flawed. You couldnt stay in a middle area, you'd eventually go too light or too dark. You can touch the area, but not stay there

And anyway, there was a Shadow Academy in the JJK books. Although not read, I know three reappeared. Zekk had became a Jedi. Two others were Dark Jedi. None were gray. As the paragraph before said, you couldn't stay there

EDIT - Jest checked, the EU Shadow Academy was for Dark Jedi. So, last paragraph doesnt really matter.

Darsha Assant
Dec 6th, 2001, 12:07:15 PM
**Darsha Assant snaps to attention by the order of Lord Vader, letting the idea die, sketching him a snappy salute.** :)

All Im saying is we could work with his idea to a point where there would be a mutual agreement by all parties involved. This is the challenge I was referring to.

Maybe ideas could be altered. Working with the Shadow idea for instance, perhaps giving a time limit when one can return back to the grey side when engulfed in the dark. Or when one is enveloped in the lightside, it could prove fruitless to tap into the darkside till a lengthy meditation session is completed. This may present certain vulnerabilities. Its up to Gue, it is his idea, and a creative one at that. Not right to bash his ideas. Starwars is based on the idea of creativity.

Darth Vader
Dec 6th, 2001, 12:10:32 PM
Exactly...there's always that "transition" where a Jedi/Sith either turns or strays close to turning.

Think of Luke cutting off Vader's hand...he tapped the Dark Side briefly in that fight.

Then you have Anakin being seduced by the Dark Side, which I'm sure he didn't just wake up one day and decide to become the Dark Lord of the Sith. There is a brief transition, usually in the heat of passion, that is necessary to precipitate such a change.

Think of it as a sublimation, or two greater "phases" with one miniscule and often unseen phase inbetween.

Severen Morkonis
Dec 6th, 2001, 01:08:08 PM
Nah i think shadow Jedi, is a fake idea, the fact that you cant be good and evil at the same time....thats like pushing a kid out the way of a car before it hits him..then killing him yourself...its not there you know??...

Videl
Dec 6th, 2001, 01:32:27 PM
I don't think that Shadow Jedi would work either...there is light and dark, no inbetween.....same reason why Videl could never go Jedi since I'm too damn evil with her, she's too corrupted to ever work as a Jedi....hence the reason why I created Livia, since Videl would never work, I created another alias........

Live Wire
Dec 6th, 2001, 02:52:56 PM
the concept of shadow jedi is nowhere supported in sw books movies or any other reliable source. All it really boils down to is fan wishful thinking. If there were a "grey" side of the force then we would have proof. Everything that the movies and books present directly contridict the notion of such a thing. There is no sitting on the fence. Sure you have the transition from light to dark but there is no way for someone to prevent being consumed by the dark side if they dabble in it and think they can resist. It would be like saying I can take heroine once in awhile and not become an addict. It just doesnt work that way

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2001, 03:03:08 PM
I think there is a large difference between grey side and grey area

Live Wire
Dec 6th, 2001, 03:18:58 PM
this isnt a grey anything. Theres light...theres dark....and that is all that there is.

Jedah Lynch
Dec 6th, 2001, 04:55:55 PM
There is only dark and light.

There is nothing else.

The concept of Shadow Jedi looks to be nothing more than a way to target the RPer who likes to be "good" but uses the dark side more, in other words the shadow Jedi is nothing more for those less able to play their part well.

Its a poor concept for a poor group of people who want to god mode.

I wouldnt even reconize a move such a person did on the RP front if every encountered one. They want to RP they can do it the right way.

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2001, 05:38:37 PM
Okay then, a query for you. Jedi is trying to save someones life. The someone is being choked to death be a Wookiee. The only thing possible is to choke them. Now, that is bad, but for good. The method is classed dark, the reason is classed light. I see that as grey.

And remember, Luke did choke two Gamorreans. Why? Rescue his friends

EDIT- He shoots! HE SCORES! 4500th post :)

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 06:39:03 PM
Look, I dont know what is up with all the undo hatred towards shadow jedi, its not somebody trying to mod, its the setting, its just the way things are. given 25,000 years im sure harmony could be achieved in anything, even the force. These people were jedi masters when they left our galaxy, and given this much time to develop, their regular jedi is the equivelant to our jedi knight. Another thing, this is a different rp setting, it doesnt follow the same adheranses in the way of the force as this one does.

Darth Vader
Dec 6th, 2001, 07:10:17 PM
Gue...I find your lack of canon disturbing.

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 07:29:38 PM
I find your misuse of a topical cream disturbing

Darth Vader
Dec 6th, 2001, 07:41:31 PM
But of course. I should have consulted with you. You seem to be the resident Sith expert on topical creams and other dainty cosmetics.

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 08:25:23 PM
im not a sith for one, another thing, a little something with green would go a long way to hide those blemishes on your face, cuase red and green cancel each other out

Live Wire
Dec 6th, 2001, 09:25:26 PM
well this went from stupid to petty

Lord Gue
Dec 6th, 2001, 09:36:40 PM
While I may value all opinions, there is no reason to get rude LW. This was never stupid in my opinion, and D. Vader just wants to spam this thread, thats fine by me, it keeps it at the top so that people that havent read it yet can see it

Darth Vader
Dec 6th, 2001, 09:38:49 PM
Gue, you calling me a spammer is like my helmet calling the kettle black.

Rama
Dec 6th, 2001, 09:51:18 PM
I still don't like the Shadow Jedi idea.......I could see a group of people who thought they were doing good, but in the end were using the darkside, but I don't think you can be both.

The rest of this idea is very intresting though.

Rama
Dec 6th, 2001, 09:53:53 PM
And isn't Darth Vader dead. O_O

Darth Vader
Dec 6th, 2001, 09:59:02 PM
The man who was Anakin Skywalker met his destiny long ago.

Rama
Dec 6th, 2001, 10:12:26 PM
Nooooooooooo.........im pretty sure your dead.

Darth Vader
Dec 6th, 2001, 10:24:49 PM
My presence here proves your assumptions false

Morgan Evanar
Dec 6th, 2001, 10:48:10 PM
No. Darth Vader is dead. We have a wannabe on our hands here.

BrantCairn
Dec 6th, 2001, 10:58:43 PM
Gue, did you read the fanfic 'Tides of War' or did you create the name by yourself?

Vestec Za Temonta
Dec 7th, 2001, 04:15:24 PM
Bwah. This is reminding me of The Immortality argument with Mhal. Neither of you are willing to take critisism, even though you ask for it.

I don't like the idea of anyone able to use both sides of the Force. True, people can fall on either side, but never in between. There's never a grey area. It's just saying that you like power, no matter how unlikely it is that you'll get it. So nyah. :p

And, yeah... I watched you die a couple nights ago...

Lord Gue
Dec 7th, 2001, 06:36:42 PM
Actually, no, ive not read tides of war, should I have?

Sith Ahnk
Dec 16th, 2001, 07:08:22 PM
Shadow Jedi could work in my opinion.

Look at Kyp Duron and his faction in the NJO series. They make their own rules and ideals.

Why couldn't a shadow Jedi make his own ideals? Have his own values and morals?

Dark Jedi have used force heal before. And Luke used force choke. I mean, thses are scetchy examples, but in theory, the only complaints I could see would be OOC ones.

What Garrett said has some relevance though, without devoting oneself to one side, you would never master that side. Thus, masters of that side would be stronger than you. Thus, Shadow Jedi have no real advantage.

Which makes this whole debate stupid, IMO.

ReaperFett
Dec 16th, 2001, 07:25:37 PM
Look at Kyp Duron and his faction in the NJO series. They make their own rules and ideals

I disagree. You see, Kyp is working for the side of light. Some of his methods may not be as pure light as others, but this happens. He once suggested that the line between Dark and Light isnt as hard to cross as said before, due to how many had done so before. However, he doesnt use the Darkside.

Sith Ahnk
Dec 16th, 2001, 08:07:04 PM
Agression is of the dark side, isn't it?

Therefore, he uses the dark side.

Regardless, I was referring to his interperatation of the Jedi Code, could someone not validate the use of the dark side to save lives? Or even to kill, if it would prevent loss of life down the line?

From there, could one not further misconstrude the ideals to serve self?

ReaperFett
Dec 16th, 2001, 08:12:28 PM
if someone attacks, can you parry?

And then, can you attack yourself?

That isnt agression, it's still defense

Sith Ahnk
Dec 16th, 2001, 08:17:36 PM
It's a thin line Fett, between self defense and self offense. It's easy to blur and muddy the line.

Does not what I said ring true? It's possible to believe that slitting someone's throat in their sleep is a morally right defenseive move.

Does it matter who it is?

No, it's still evil.

Even if you save thousands of lives, there are better ways, and you morals could come in question, ecspecially if they killed your friend.

ReaperFett
Dec 16th, 2001, 08:22:18 PM
and anyway, Kyp is bouncing close to the Dark side, as such. Shadow Jedi seem to stay in the middle. You can be grey in your use of the force at times. You cant be grey Jedi

Sith Ahnk
Dec 16th, 2001, 08:44:17 PM
Why not?

I use bandages, am I a doctor?

I use a knife, does that make me butcher?

No.

The tools do not make a man. A man uses the tools.

Think of the force, and appropriate powers, as tools. Wouldn't you want as many tools as possible?

A shadow Jedi is, really, just a handy man of the SW Universe. :cool

Lord DarkStar
Dec 26th, 2001, 01:39:58 PM
A long time ago, on a chat server far away (sorry) we used to have Shadow Jedi, indeed I was one myself. The way we did it was that they used the powers common to both sides of the Force (telekenisis, reaction enhancements, etc.) and just did them alot better than a Jedi or Sith could, but weren't aloud to use powers light lightnight or heal, or any side orientated powers and it worked, they weren't to powerful, they were just different, and highly credible,

Just an old fools oppinion,

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 26th, 2001, 10:34:07 PM
Before we get too far into the tools analogy, I think of it more like a path. The Dark Side is an easy path, the Light Side a difficult one that you can fall off from and is hard to regain. If seen like that, there isnt a real lot of room for shades of grey. The Force is indeed like a tool, but it is used to progress down the path.

Say.... a bike.

A bike on a smooth and flat and wide surface is easy to use. A bike on adifficult path is hell to use BUT if you stay on, you become a good deal more skillful than if you remain on the wide road. That's how I think of it. I dont really see a person remaining Shadow for long, they would go Light or Dark very quickly, whatever one is more appealing.