PDA

View Full Version : Recurring Themes

Jedieb
Dec 4th, 2001, 12:14:05 AM
Lucas has stated that he purposely repeats themes throughout the SW films. On the DVD he compared himself to a musician who uses the notes in a piece of music. You can see this repetition in the films;
Gungans/Ewoks
Vader's Revelation to Luke/Luke's Revelation to Leia
Han says "I know"/Leia repeats the phrase
Death Star I/Death Star II

One theme that I've been thinking about is the Revelation theme. You had it in ESB and ROTJ. Could we see this again in the prequels? Is there a shocker that we can't see coming? The one idea that keeps kicking around in my head is that we're going to find out that Shmi wasn't being entirely honest with Qui-Gon. That in itself would reprise another theme (Obi-Wan lying to Luke). Could it be that there WAS a father? If there was, would it be the obvious choice, Palpy, or maybe some other character? Will we hear another revelation?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2001, 08:33:01 PM
At the very least I think she knew more than she was letting on. I think Anakin's line that he could remember being with Gradulla the Hutt at age three and didn't know where he was before that is important. It is also possible that Yoda and maybe Mace Windu know more then they are letting on maybe they hid her there because of the prophecy? Another theme that could come back I think is ghost theme in the OT I'm will we see Qui-Gon or in spirt form somewhere in the new trilogy. I think its possible maybe not 2 but possibly 3.

JMK
Dec 5th, 2001, 09:33:07 PM
Interestingly enough I was thinking the same thing recently, and I think we're in for it big time. An example I came up with regarding Shmi, was that she did get pregnant by another man, either accidentally, or unwillingly and since she does not sincerely love the father, then there IS no father to speak of. Maybe she inspires Obi Wan's "certain point of view" attitude...