PDA

View Full Version : Recurring Themes

Jedieb
Dec 4th, 2001, 12:14:05 AM
Lucas has stated that he purposely repeats themes throughout the SW films. On the DVD he compared himself to a musician who uses the notes in a piece of music over and over again. You can see this repetition in the films;

Ewoks/Gungans
Vader's Revelation to Luke/Luke's Revelation to Leia
Han says "I know"/Leia repeats the phrase in ROTJ
Death Star I/Death Star II

One theme that I've been thinking about is the Revelation theme. You had it in ESB and ROTJ. Could we see this again in the prequels? Is there a shocker that we can't see coming? The one idea that keeps kicking around in my head is that we're going to find out that Shmi wasn't being entirely honest with Qui-Gon. That in itself would reprise another theme (Obi-Wan lying to Luke). Could it be that there WAS a father? If there was, would it be the obvious choice, (Palpatine), or maybe some other character? Will we hear another revelation?

Darth Viscera
Dec 4th, 2001, 12:39:27 AM
Maybe she was raped, and that's why she lied? Or maybe she's not really human, and is capable of asexual reproduction.

imported_Eve
Dec 4th, 2001, 08:27:09 AM
I agree with Jedieb completely...

EP II would all be too predictable. Lucas has to be holding a card up his sleeve. One, to not be predictable, and two, to re-establish the faith in Lucas as the master of the great story. Some people didn't like EP I (I did), so he knows he has to bring those people back into the story. The element of suprise, and showing us that we don't know everything when it comes to the Skywalker family would be one way to do that.

ReaperFett
Dec 4th, 2001, 09:45:28 AM
"Anakin, Maul is your father"

Look at the roof in Shimi's place. Red and black pattern :)

Taylor Millard
Dec 4th, 2001, 02:31:00 PM
:lol I would actually be ticked if Palpatine turned out to be Anakin's father. It would bug the heck outta me. Sure it's a nice twist and all, but I would still be ticked. Why should Palpatine spawn one of the most powerful Jedi/Sith in the galaxy? Why does he get all the credit!?! :mad HUMBUG!

But I'm still looking forward to EP II. I'll do the same I did with EP I. Buy the soundtrack...then go see the flick.

Jedieb
Dec 4th, 2001, 08:06:12 PM
Taylor, did you get burned by the song titles or were you not worried about spoilers?

Taylor Millard
Dec 4th, 2001, 08:14:40 PM
*Didn't pay attention on purpose. Just put the cd in and listened. Plus, I didn't mind the occasional spoiler. :)

Leeloo Mina
Dec 5th, 2001, 07:55:34 AM
Originally posted by Taylor Millard

Why should Palpatine spawn one of the most powerful Jedi/Sith in the galaxy? Why does he get all the credit!?! :mad HUMBUG!

Aw, you're just jealous :)

Actually.. I dunno why, but that would bother me too. I had a slight feeling that Qui-gon was going to turn out to be Ani's dad.. but I'm not sure now ^_^ heh.

The whole time I'm watching EP 2 I'm going to be thinking about Sage, Amnde and a few others.. GAH!! :P Stupid people having to use SW pics!! Ruining my movie!! :) j/k I don't mind ^_^

darth_mcbain
Dec 5th, 2001, 10:54:36 AM
I don't see how Qui-Gon could be Anakin's dad. He doesn't even know Shmi... Besides, I don't get the impression that Qui-Gon goes around carousing with women and wouldn't have remembered her... That, combined with the fact that he's a Jedi and is supposedly forbidden to love make that a pretty slim possibility...

Darth Viscera
Dec 5th, 2001, 01:55:34 PM
You know...

Who says there has to have been a father who fell in love with Shmi? Given Star Wars technology, it would have been very possible to plant an embryo into her. But what reasons would she have for this, and how would the embryo end up having the midi-chlorian content of the chosen one?

Jedieb
Dec 5th, 2001, 02:13:22 PM
If there is a father then I really think it has to be Palpy or a character we haven't been introduced to. It may be one of the new EP2 villians or someone we may not meet until the end. It would just be wierd to see theFinal Duel at the end of ROTJ and know that we're watching a Grandfather, Father, & son showdown. It would feel kind of weird that no one would have made this revelation to Luke at some point as well. You have o figure that eiter Palpatine or Vader would have told Luke who his grandfather was if that was the case.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 6th, 2001, 03:54:25 PM
Maybe its Dooko, Christopher Lee's character. Another possiblity what if the egg was implaned by Yoda or Mace Windu because they knew that the Sith was about to return.

Sith Ahnk
Dec 16th, 2001, 08:12:58 PM
Hmmm...

What if it was a terminator style storyline... maybe Anakin came back in time and fathered himself?