PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Phillippe Spurned

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:55:43 PM
I read this on the net and thought okay
Mr. Reese Witherspoon, Ryan Phillippe, confided to Chicago Sun-Times columnist Cindy Pearlman that he was indeed up for the role of the adult Anakin Skywalker in "Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones," the role that went to Hayden Christensen ("Life as a House").

"There is a part of me that really wanted the role," Phillippe said. "And I got pretty far down to the final cut. I got to test with Natalie Portman, who is Princess Amidala. In real life, I'm seven years older than her, which was dubbed too old. At age 29, I was an over-the-hill Anakin."

The spurned Phillippe, however, had some dish on George Lucas. "I wanted to ask him a zillion 'Star Wars' questions because I'm such a fan," Phillippe said of his meeting with Lucas at Skywalker Ranch. "But all he talked about was 'Howard the Duck' and how proud he was about it."

Lucas revealed something about "Episode II" to Phillippe sure to make the fans cringe. "He told me how intent he was to make Jar Jar as big a part of this one despite the criticism of the character in 'Episode I,'" Phillippe recalled.

For his next picture, Phillippe and his wife Witherspoon will run off with the circus in "The Flying Tigers." "I'm a trapeze artist who gets his eye scratched out by a tiger," Philippe explained. "Reese isn't part of the circus. I meet her when I go to Venice to find a glass eye."

Now to me but he seems like a sore loser. First why would Lucas talk about Howard the Duck I remembered he joked about it with Robin Williams about how bad it was and second I have read Jar Jar isn't much in the movie but he could still have an important role with minimal screen time so that part could be true. Most likely he is just exageratting all of this to get back at Lucas.

Jedieb
Dec 4th, 2001, 12:00:39 AM
It sounds to me like he was just goofing with the interviewer. I'm glad he didn't get the role. I can't stand him and I thought Cruel Intentions sucked. The only thing decent about the movie was all the Gellar cleavage and him bouncing off the hood of that car.

ReaperFett
Dec 4th, 2001, 03:22:47 AM
I like him, we was in Way of the Gun.

Actors do this though. Ever notice how Gabriel Byrne says Lucasfilm contacted him recently in EVERY interview he's done? :)

JonathanLB
Dec 4th, 2001, 04:44:24 AM
Ok first, how come he gets to have Reese Witherspoon?! No fair! Goddamn she is so incredibly hot... lol.

Second, Howard the Duck, lol... Lucas never made that movie. It's such a stupid rumor that he was intimately involved in that bomb. He was *executive producer*, which means precisely NOTHING! LOL.

I hope Jar Jar has a significant role in Episode II. I want the fans who hated him to be continually annoyed throughout all three prequels; it's their own idiocy anyway. I do hope Jar Jar matures as a character just as Threepio did, Chewy did, Luke did, Leia did, and Han did, hehe. All of the characters mature, I expect the same of Jar Jar.