PDA

View Full Version : Oceans 11

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:33:45 PM
I know it doesn't come out till Friday but I figured I go ahead and open up discussion on it. I admit it does look like it has potetial and one of the biggest casts ever (Clooney, Pitt, Damon, Roberts, Don Cheadle, Andy Garcia, and a few old timers like Carl Reiner and Elliott Gould rounding out the cast) now will it live up to that cast who can tell. I am almost certain it will be #1 knocking off HP which held on to the top spot for 3 weeks, but how much will open with, I'm guessing around 33-37, but that would be guess, it is interesting the record for December is 30 and it will probably be broken by 3 different films (Oceans11, Vanilla Sky, and LOTR)

Jedieb
Dec 4th, 2001, 12:05:29 AM
Did anyone see the original? I only saw it a couple of times on TV but it was fun. If I remember my Rat Pack films correctly the ending was great. The look on all their faces as they walked away from the funeral was priceless. I wonder if they'll go the same route with the remake. I haven't seen anything in the commercials to get me that excited yet however. The cast features the biggest amount of marquee talent we've seen in years.

My wife is dying to see it. Somehow I've got to work that to my advantage so I can get a LOTR date out of her. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 8th, 2001, 01:46:22 PM
Here are Friday's top 5
1Ocean's 11 12.937
2Harry Potter 3.520
3Behind Enemy Lines 2.567
4 Monsters, Inc. 1.586
5 Spy Game 1.442

Looks like Ocean's 11 will have a strong debut, Lee says it will make 36-40, that sounds about right, he also says Hp will do about 14.5 for the weekend. So has anybody here seen oceans 11, is it any good?

JonathanLB
Dec 8th, 2001, 04:27:19 PM
$400 million here we come...? Umm.. no.

Warner is full of idiots. Harry Potter has done very well to make so much money and they are ruining the perception of its gross even further by saying it has any chance at high 300's / low 400's.

The movie continues to drop like a "stone." Hehe.

I expected a strong showing for Ocean's 11. It looks good, but I haven't seen it. I will see it when I return home this week.

Darth23
Dec 8th, 2001, 11:58:00 PM
Idiots? The WB has the number one movie replacing their last movie which was number 1 for 3 weeks and coudl be the top movie of the year.

Plus their sister studio has a little flick called Lord of the Rings coming out in 1 week and a half.

AOL is cleaning up. Vanilla Sky MIGHT take the top spot next week, butOcean's 11 could beat it out.

CMJ
Dec 9th, 2001, 12:06:04 AM
I think I'm gonna try and catch this tommorrow...if I do...I'll post my thoughts. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 9th, 2001, 01:41:19 PM
Here are the estimattes for this weekend

1 (+) Ocean's Eleven ........ $39.3 million

2 (1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone .. $14.8 million

3 (2) Behind Enemy Lines .... $ 8.1 million

4 (4) Monsters, Inc. ........ $ 6.7 million

5 (3) Spy Game .............. $ 4.6 million

6 (5) Black Knight .......... $ 3.3 million

7 (6) Shallow Hal ........... $ 2.6 million

8 (7) Out Cold .............. $ 1.4 million

9 (9) Amelie ................ $ 1.1 million

10 (8) Domestic Disturbance .. $ 950,000

No real shock, really Oceans' 11 opened at almost 40 million, HP did okay only about a 35% drop this time, and I guess Oceans 11 has a Decemeber record biggest opening that will probably be destroyed by LOTR.

Darth23
Dec 9th, 2001, 02:36:18 PM
HP dropped 37% - could be 40% when the final numbers com out. :p

Monsters Inc dropped 27% (a little too late, though).

Ocean's 11 totally killed Spy Game and Behind Enemy Lines, the both dropped more than 50%.

JonathanLB
Dec 9th, 2001, 10:28:12 PM
Warner's movie division has been great, but you obviously must know that has nothing to do with the people who are talking trash about HP having a chance at beating Titanic. Those same idiots at the head of Warner are not making the movies, thank God. Warner is doing very well, but the idiots who were saying HP looked like it could make $400 million or even beat Titanic at $600 million JUST last week are totally ignorant of the industry they are supposed to be in!

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2001, 12:37:28 AM
The guys that were saying that were probably nobodys, I'm sure the top WB execs expected no more than in the low 300's for the film. Just curious do you think WB is hoping LOTR fails? Because they don't really get any of the profits from the film acording to the Time Warner-Turner merger New Line had to be independitely owned. Also there were those who said if LOTR failed New Line would go out of existince. I'm just curious how WB fits into all of this or do they get any money from LOTR?

Champion of the Force
Dec 10th, 2001, 07:30:18 PM
I'm just curious how WB fits into all of this or do they get any money from LOTR?
I do think they get some money - just not as much a percentage as they did from films like HP. New Line will be receiving most of the profits from LOTR if I recall correctly (and they're going to need it - making the 3 films has been one of the most expensive projects undertaken).

Darth23
Dec 10th, 2001, 08:36:32 PM
Just wait til AOL buys Viacom and Vivendi.

:p :p :p

[comment moved to the Harry Potter thread]

Champion of the Force
Dec 10th, 2001, 08:48:18 PM
Is it just me, or is every 2nd thread in this place turning into a Harry Potter Boxoffice thread? :)

Darth23
Dec 10th, 2001, 08:58:02 PM
[See comment below] :p

Darth23
Dec 10th, 2001, 09:05:03 PM
Damn, I thought I WAS in the Harry Potte thread.

:o

Maybe I a should cut and paste my last post.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 11th, 2001, 01:35:09 AM
Maybe we should rename it the Harry Potter Box office Forum:rolleyes Well next week I guess we would have to rename it the LOTR Box office forum because that is all we will be talking about from then until early next year.

JonathanLB
Dec 11th, 2001, 07:57:26 AM
Amen, I can't wait to talk about LOTR and not this stupid Harry Potter nonsense.

I'm pulling for LOTR to do well, for sure, New Line is an awesome studio for one, Tolkien is the master, and the movie looks kick-ass. I'll be there opening day, then probably back a few times if it's as good as I hope...