PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings: Eleven Facts

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2001, 08:35:39 PM
Excited about the upcoming movie event, the Lord of the Rings? While exploring the web, I ran across an interesting article on the Moviefone website about the Fellowship of the Ring, the first movie in the mammoth trilogy which is due for release on December the 19th.

Even if you have not read the books (which, of course, is very nearly unforgivable in this reporter's eyes), this article will amaze you with its facts, and blow you away with the sheer scale of the undertaking Peter Jackson undertook. Fifteen months in the making, The Lord of the Rings first live action adaptation is not to be taken lightly.

Titled simply, Eleven Thing you Don't Know About The Lord of the Rings, by Rob Magrid, the article is informative and whetted my appetite for all that is Tolkien.

Middle Earth is Real! Check it out:

<a href=http://www.moviefone.com/features/feature.adp?page=1002126056,0&id=1001098372,0&uid=5620>Eleven Things</A>

Nupraptor
Dec 2nd, 2001, 09:45:40 PM
Lilaena De'Ville has also taken to referring to herself in third person now?

Taylor Millard
Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:28:22 AM
Well technically, if this is a news forum, then everyone should be referring to themselves in third person. Consider them all correspondents for SWFans.

I'm Taylor Millard, S-W-Fans News. ;)

Nupraptor
Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:44:10 AM
You used "I", thus that's not in the third person. :p

Taylor Millard
Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:13:35 AM
True, but it's also broadcast style. It can be done either way.

Taylor Millard S-W-Fans News

(See Simple ;))

Darth Viscera
Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:15:54 AM
*brain collapses in on itself*

:x

Champion of the Force
Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:23:53 AM
Miss De'Ville isn't referring to herself in third person in the original post - that's me referring to her.

When she sent the submission she only included the link plus a little explantion about why she hadn't written it up herself. Since the item would obviously need to be properly written out like a news piece I simply replaced her own text with a quick intro and just included her link.

In short, if you're going to submit an item it might pay to write up your own intro for it and simply include the reasons for your submission in a little footnote which the admins can edit out. Saves us the job of re-writing your submission for you. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 3rd, 2001, 03:36:41 AM
Thanks Davey! I was at work at the time, and didn't have any way to save the link, and I didn't know where else to post it...so there you have it. :) Thanks for fixing it for me, I was sort of rushed.

Here's what could be considered an intro for it, now that I have time to write:

Excited about the upcoming movie event, the Lord of the Rings? While exploring the web, I ran across an interesting article on the Moviefone website about the Fellowship of the Ring, the first movie in the mammoth trilogy which is due for release on December the 19th.

Even if you have not read the books (which, of course, is very nearly unforgivable in this reporter's eyes), this article will amaze you with its facts, and blow you away with the sheer scale of the undertaking Peter Jackson undertook. Fifteen months in the making, The Lord of the Rings first live action adaptation is not to be taken lightly.

Titled simply, Eleven Thing you Don't Know About The Lord of the Rings, by Rob Magrid, the article is informative and whetted my appetite for all that is Tolkien.

Middle Earth is Real!

Eleven Things (http://www.moviefone.com/features/feature.adp?page=1002126056,0&id=1001098372,0&uid=5620)

Champion of the Force
Dec 3rd, 2001, 03:43:31 AM
Tis done. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:40:43 AM
Muchas gracias. *faints* I'm on the front page! Mom will be so proud. *checks time* Oh wait, no she wouldn't. *goes to bed*

Taylor Millard
Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:52:55 PM
Still it was in correct broadcast format. That...just looks like a Press Release. I'd change it (joking!) but I'm not in the mood for news now.

Still interesting facts. :)

ReaperFett
Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:44:38 PM
The fantastic realm where the LOTR story is set is in fact an area in Birmingham, England

LOL!

I live near there. Mystical and magical it aint :)

I didnt hear one Brummie accent in the trailor though :)

I've got two facts for you:

-The movie rights were sold for $10,000

-JRR's son didnt want a movie to happen. He has more or less disowned his son for it, who thought it would be a good idea

Taylor Millard
Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:07:54 PM
Chris Tolkien got disowned? Wow...and he wrote some of books on Middle-Earth.

ReaperFett
Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:15:50 PM
Thats what I heard. JRR's son didnt want one, but JRR's son's son did. Doesnt even matter, JRR sold the rights

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 4th, 2001, 12:34:49 AM
...is there any way I can marry into that family? I want my last name to be Tolkien too!

Well, I could just change it, I guess, but...that wouldn't be any fun.

So the grandson of JRR Tolkien sold the movie rights, and his father, JRR's son, didn't want the rights to be sold? This doesn't seem right, how could the grandson sell from underneath the son? I mean, unless the son was dead, how would the grandson have any right to sell it?

I think I need to be enlightened...please?!

Taylor Millard
Dec 4th, 2001, 02:31:31 AM
The advantage of wills. JRR coulda willed his grandson the rights to LOTR and Middle-Earth. It's possible

*Goes and wills his grandson his old radio tapes and cigars. ;)

Nupraptor
Dec 4th, 2001, 02:51:55 AM
I've heard news reporters say "This is soandso", but that's still in the first person. By saying "this is", you are referring to yourself. I've never once heard a reporter purposefully refer to themselves in the third person.

ReaperFett
Dec 4th, 2001, 03:26:27 AM
JRR TOLKIEN sold the rights

Taylor Millard
Dec 4th, 2001, 04:17:32 AM
Originally posted by Nupraptor
I've heard news reporters say "This is soandso", but that's still in the first person. By saying "this is", you are referring to yourself. I've never once heard a reporter purposefully refer to themselves in the third person.

Must be an ABC Radio thing then. I've heard a reporters from WBAP in Dallas and WMAL in Washington DC refer to themselves in third person.

We do it at KNTU as well. Although I'm more traditional and say, "I'm Taylor Millard". And I've heard a few reporters say the 'I'm' thing too.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 5th, 2001, 01:40:51 AM
*ignores the people arguing about the third person reporter thingy (guys, it wasn't me talking about myself! Get over it!)*

So JRR Tolkien himself sold the rights to the books. I got it.

Hey, does anyone know if they're going to make The Hobbit into a movie?! It would be *so* awesome if they did. :D

Nupraptor
Dec 5th, 2001, 01:47:29 AM
According to theonering.net - Assuming the movies do well, it's a possibility.

Champion of the Force
Dec 5th, 2001, 02:02:13 AM
What Nup said. However Jackson has stated that he may not stick around to do The Hobbit if the opportunity arises.

Taylor Millard
Dec 5th, 2001, 02:35:50 AM
Humbug...I want The Hobbit

*Wacks De'Ville

We were discussing broadcast style. Not arguing. Right Nup? Just a discussion?

Nupraptor
Dec 5th, 2001, 02:56:48 AM
For once, this actually *was* just a normal discussion. I've just never heard a reporter narrate in true third person.

Taylor Millard
Dec 5th, 2001, 03:21:56 AM
See told ya! Nup, who do you listen to? Which Radio Station?

Nupraptor
Dec 5th, 2001, 03:44:41 AM
Quite a list of them, although I'd actually have to stop to think about the call signs.

WINZ springs to mind.

Taylor Millard
Dec 5th, 2001, 04:27:24 AM
Again, must be an ABC Radio Networks deal. *Shrugs. They normally refer to themselves as

Insert name here, at the Pentagon. Or Insert Name and Radio station here

Gotta be an ABC Thing.

Leeloo Mina
Dec 5th, 2001, 08:07:52 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Muchas gracias. *faints* I'm on the front page! Mom will be so proud. *checks time* Oh wait, no she wouldn't. *goes to bed*

:lol!! ^_^

...And I've never heard a reporter refer to him/her self in thrid person either.. but hey.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 7th, 2001, 02:21:19 AM
Okay, I really want The Hobbit made.

And I want to learn Elven! Where can I get the language tapes for Elven!?

Taylor Millard
Dec 7th, 2001, 01:31:55 PM
In the copy of LOTR I bought (which included the Hobbit I think), it's got a section on the Elven language.

I'll have print information later. Gotta get it from parents house.

Santa Claus
Dec 7th, 2001, 04:19:43 PM
I think that all the Lord of the Rings books have the appendix on the Elven language in the back of The Return of the King.

Arya Ravenwing
Dec 8th, 2001, 03:03:08 AM
Oh, I knew that. I was wondering if there were any *other* sources.

I should read the Simillarion, or the Book of Lost Tales, too...

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 9th, 2001, 02:52:50 AM
Hey, does anyone know the difference between Orcs and Goblins? This is a standing arguement with my sister and I. I say that when they refer to Goblins in the Hobbit, those are the same thing as Orcs in LotR. That is why goblins are never mentioned in LotR, because they are called ORCS in the trilogy.

BUT, in this article, they specifcally mention making ORCS and GOBLINS, as separate entities. So...was I wrong? Are the goblins in the Hobbit not the same as orcs in LotR?

Champion of the Force
Dec 9th, 2001, 03:03:16 AM
I'm not 100% certain about LOTR/The Hobbit, but in fantasy in general goblins and orcs are 2 different species.

* Orcs are human size yet are fairly lacking in intelligence.

* Goblins are smaller than orcs but generally smarter. They're also cowards when in small numbers.

That's the reason why you often hear of goblin empires and kingdoms in fantasy stories, but very rarely orcs - they lack the intelligence. :)

Getting back to LOTR/The Hobbit however, one reason for goblins not being mentioned in LOTR could be because most goblins were killed in the Battle of Five Armies at the end of The Hobbit, so there aren't many left when LOTR comes around.

Plus all the goblin realms were further to the north.

Taylor Millard
Dec 10th, 2001, 03:40:22 AM
In fact, in The Hobbit it specifically mentions that Orcs are taller Goblins. Let me see if I can find the passage...then I'll report back to ya. Man, I love this book. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 10th, 2001, 03:49:14 AM
Okay I tried to post this last night but the board bombed out on me. *sigh* :D Its all good though. :D

I ask, because Sting is referred to as a sword that is designed to indicate when goblins are near in The Hobbit. However, the same sword, in The Lord of the Rings, is shown to glimmer and shine when orcs are near as well. (This is mainly what I drew on to say that orcs and goblins are used interchangeably by Tolkien. That and the first reason I give in my previous post.)

So what gives? Is this because orcs and goblins are closely related? Or are they really used interchangeably in LotR?

darth_mcbain
Dec 10th, 2001, 10:39:50 AM
I always thought Sting was supposed to glow when general danger was near, not necessarily goblins or orcs, but its been a while since I read it - I could be wrong.

Champion of the Force
Dec 10th, 2001, 07:22:43 PM
Is this because orcs and goblins are closely related?
Once again drawing from general fantasy, it would seem so. Orcs and goblins often are thrown in together, usually under the term 'greenskin'.

Another thing I've remembered is that in The Hobbit Gandalf described them seperately:

Bilbo asks if there's any other way around Mirkwood

"There is, if you care to go 200 or so miles out of your way north, and twice that south ... Before you could get around Mirkwood in the North you would be right among the slopes of the Grey Mountains, and they are simply stiff with goblins, hobgoblins and orcs of the worst description ... "

PS. A hobgoblin is a larger sized goblin. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 12th, 2001, 03:25:30 AM
Okay I realize that I've proven my stupidity. I really need to re-read the Hobbit >_<

Yes I think that Sting does shine with general danger. It shines in the presence of Shelob when Sam carries it. :lol Ah well. Now I know at least.