PDA

View Full Version : About the News Portal forum

TheHolo.Net
Dec 1st, 2001, 02:28:50 AM
I stumbled across a hack the other day that will change the way a Moderated forum works with vbPortal somewhat and was curious if we should implement it.

The hack makes it so that posts to existing topics don’t require “moderation”/approval but any new topics do.

I think it would save us some hassle and keep bogus topics from appearing on our Portal page, which is why the forum is moderated in the first place.

Champion of the Force
Dec 1st, 2001, 02:38:30 AM
You could implement it if you want. :)

One problem I have though with responding to the original thread topics is that it may only serve to draw discussion away from the other forums (eg. news item gets posted about Episode II, and people simply talk about it there rather than in SW Films).

TheHolo.Net
Dec 1st, 2001, 10:48:29 AM
Testing newreply.php after the modification.

I suspect we will still get the emails regardless, but I will ask about getting a modification/hack that makes the mods of the News Portal forum only get emails when a new topic is posted.

The modification I just added should take care of posters needing approval to reply to an existing topic.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 2nd, 2001, 01:59:01 AM
I have just made my own modification to newreply.php, so that we will not recieve emails as Moderators of the Portal forum, when a user replies to an already existing topic. Now we should only get them when new topics are created. :)

TheHolo.Net
Dec 2nd, 2001, 02:02:03 AM
But I forgot to upload the modified file before I made my last post in that forum as a test. :x

imported_Eve
Dec 2nd, 2001, 11:58:22 AM
That's excellent. So convenient, is everything.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:26:00 PM
I try to keep things as easy as possible. :)

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:19:42 AM
I think we should add something to the General FAQ about how the News Portal forum works. ie New Topic "moderation". I tend to be too technical and confuse people when I explain such things though. :x