PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Negotiation: Bonhelious [Complete]

Tomar
Nov 30th, 2001, 10:51:30 AM
Feels different, I thought, staring at the viewscreen before me. As much as I'd like to be used to commanding the Superior she never was my ship. She's Taylor's. I just hope we can get him back.

I turned to the comm officer, Captain Moss. A good man was he, dutiful in his training. I remembered what Jaranda said when she first saw him perform his duties as an officer.

"Finally something good came out of The Sith Order."

To this day, I still chuckle at that statement of hers. My dear wife, alone on Coruscant waiting for her child to be born. She wished she could be here.

"General Tomar," Moss said, taking me from my thoughts, "We are about to come out of hyperspace, sir."

"Excellent Captain," ah he reminds me of myself almost 30 years ago, so wanting of knowledge, "Be sure to inform all of our guests we are ready to depart for the planet."

I twisted my head to one of the most suprising guests for this mission.

"Rear Admiral Laran. I do not know how successful we will be in this mission. But I hope the admiral will listen to us. I do not know about you, but I have missed him."

Seeing her thoughts distant, I walked from the bridge of the Superior to the study. What was once Millard's was now mine. But not now. Now, a few people occupied it. High ranking men of the Empire.

Keying the doorframe, I spoke, "Grand Admiral Thrawn. Lord Viscera, we are approaching Bonhelious. I hope you are ready to speak with the admiral."

Hopefully he'll give a better answer than he did me.

Good to hear from you, Tomar. the admiral wrote me, I hope Jaranda is well and the Superior is treating you well. I do not know if I will return to the Empire. But if they need me I will help them. It is good to hear Jaranda is expecting a child. Hopefully it will be strong and will carry the Tomar blood for a long time. Give my regards to Thomas. And if you see Admiral Laran...tell her, I give my greetings.

I disobeyed his last request. What happened between he and Laran is his business and his alone. Why he relieved her, I will never know. But it was his decision.

"General Tomar, we are coming out of hyperspace in five...four...three...two...one...Mark!"

I watched the Superior come out of hyperspace infront of the planet Bonhelious. Taylor Millard's home.

"Superior hailing Imperial Compound. Imperial Compound please respond," I spoke awaiting a response.

"Admiral Millard. Are you there sir? I have some people who want to speak with you."

All I got was a click, and an open channel.

"Good to hear you, General. Put on whoever needs to talk to me. I am interested to hear what they have to say."

I nodded towards the first member of the party. Time to hear why the Empire wants Millard back.

Darth Viscera
Nov 30th, 2001, 03:10:09 PM
Superfluous, wet nursing an Admiral back to health.

Here he stood, on the bridge of the Imperial Star Destroyer he had been assigned to travel aboard, waiting for Admiral Millard to find the mental fortitude needed to get back to work.

Not today, by the Emperor.

"Give me a visual of Admiral Millard," the Diktat commanded, speaking to the male who manned the Communications console-a Lieutenant, by his rank badge.

"My Lord, that order has not been given." the Lieutenant formed a puzzled look-aimed at General Tomar.

"Do not look to your General. Give me a visual of Admiral Millard, full holo." The neck muscles of the Communications officer constricted for added incentive, and he complied. A holographic representation of Admiral Millard filled the bridge, and the Diktat turned to stare through the light blue luminescense.

"Admiral Taylor Millard," he began. "Tell me at once why you have not reported for duty."

Taylor Millard
Nov 30th, 2001, 11:28:14 PM
The former Admiral Taylor Millard sat meditating in the former Imperial Compound on Bonhelious. He'd retired several months ago, wishing to finish his life in quiet mourning for his dead brother. A retirement he'd been enjoying, until he received a letter from General Tomar.

"Admiral," the letter began, "I hope things are well. Although I haven't heard from you, I assume that is best. No news is good news after all. The Superior is not the same without you, sir. We need you back. We need your leadership as well. Diktat Viscera has returned from where ever he's been the last few months. I somehow suspect he's going to pay you a visit. I can only assume I will be coming along as well.
"Jaranda is expecting her first child, by the way. We wish for you to be his or her godfather. You certainly kept us alive in the Unknown Regions. I hope things are well. Tomar."

Millard wrote Tomar a brief response, then began preparation for the Superior's arrival.

When he heard, and saw the face which greeted him on the holovid, Taylor felt a deep scowl penatrate his visage. It was Darth Viscera.

Careful, keep you emotions under control. his mind told him.

"Lord Viscera," he spoke pleasently, "It is good to see you again, sir. I was unaware I had received orders to report for duty anywhere? After all, I did retire several months ago. I completed my assignment for the Empire, as given to me by Grand Admiral Thrawn. I do hope Balmorra hasn't fallen under the banner of independence again. It would be a pity, I worked hard to assure their people preferred Imperial rule over self-sufficiency. Was there something I forgot to do?"

Millard crossed his arms around his black jumpsuit, staring poker-faced back at the Imperial Diktat.

This had better be good, Viscera. I like being alone.

Darth Viscera
Dec 1st, 2001, 02:01:44 AM
Darth Viscera continued his gaze, staring through the translucent image of Millard's eyes. The Diktat's hood shielded much of his face, but what was visible could best have been described as....idle.

Nearly a minute a of silence ensued before the Diktat replied:

"Admiral Taylor Millard, our allegiance to the Empire, indeed, to the Emperor, does not end following one successful mission. It does not end following one thousand successful missions. Our tasks, as protectors of the New Order, are unique.

"However, if you find yourself unable to render your required terms of service, you need but to say so. I shall return to Imperial Center, knowing that you are of no value to the Empire, and thus dispensable, although I would advise against that, lest you wish for your retirement to be a short one.

"The choice is yours."

Tomar
Dec 1st, 2001, 11:03:41 AM
I watched the exchange between Diktat Viscera and my former commander, Taylor Millard. Inwardly, I groaned. This wasn't going as I had hoped. Taylor wouldn't back down- damn his pride, and neither would Viscera- damn his pride.

I began to think my only hope was in Grand Admiral Thrawn. Thrawn was perhaps, the most respected in his career as an Imperial. If Thrawn were to speak on Taylor's behalf.

But Thrawn was silent, monitoring the situation. I remember, the admiral saying, Thrawn liked to watch situations- observing the people's weaknesses.

When it was obvious nothing was going to work, I spoke up,

"Diktat Viscera. If I may. I believe I know what the problem is."

Darth Viscera
Dec 2nd, 2001, 01:27:57 AM
The Diktat scowled, but turned to face the General.

"Very well, you may."

Do not dare to waste my time further.

Tomar
Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:42:18 AM
I stood there, meeting the Imperial commander's gaze as I formulated my response. I ran my mind over the negotiations on Balmorra and how they'd gone. Taylor had commanded them masterfully. I pursed my lips then spoke, calmly and with great respect,

"Diktat Viscera, I wish you would consider this. Admiral Millard is a hero of the Empire before the New Republic attempted to come into power. He fought well in the war against the Rebellion, saving the Emperor twice. I assume you have read his Imperial File. He was trained under Grand Admiral Thrawn himself. He considers loyalty to the Empire above all.

"The reason he retired was he thought he was finished with the Empire. And he did not disappear, sir. He informed Grand Admiral Thrawn he was leaving, but not before finishing his mission and returning Balmorra to the Empire's control. The Empire and Balmorra's economy has almost tripled since then. The Empire would not also know what it does about the Unknown Regions if Millard did not chart them will, and then after, Grand Admiral Thrawn. This planet where we orbit wouldn't exist if we didn't scout it, sir."

In the corner of my eye, I noticed Thrawn nod his head slowly as if giving approval. Laran was silent, staring at the Diktat with an emotionaless gaze.

"And I believe, sir, he misses the Empire. One can only remain retired for so long. I believe he is getting restless. His knowledge of the Imperial ships and the Imperial military would be a massive benefit to the Imperial Navy as it was 21 years ago, and as it was a year ago. I truly believe we should continue to speak with him.

"But face to face, sir. Millard will not beg to be readmitted, and I know you will not beg his return. I believe if negotiations can be worked out face to face...an agreement can be reached which will benefit both you and the former admiral. It would be easier as well. And...there would be less prying eyes."

With my idea said, I waited for the Diktat's response. I hoped Taylor would be proud, even if he didn't want to return.

Darth Viscera
Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:47:29 AM
The Diktat listened to Tomar's plea, and nodded when he finished.

"Very well, General Tomar. We will negotiate with Taylor Millard, and do what we must to ensure his return."

Serena Laran
Dec 3rd, 2001, 03:16:54 AM
Rear Admiral Laran felt distinctly uncomfortable there, on someone else's bridge, with a Grand Admiral and the Diktat himself practically breathing down her neck. She had been the one who had orchestrated Admiral Millard's return to the Empire in the first place, only to have him retire after more than a year of hard work on her part.

She kept her face cool and impassive, her red hair swept up into a neat twist and kept off her collar, the pips on her uniform impeccably placed. He had left too suddenly after Balmorra. Something must have happened to scare him away from the life he lived for. Or had warned him away. She pursed her lips slightly. I will just have to find out what is was. And fix it. Serena turned to Tomar, and took him aside as the Diktat and the Grand Admiral returned to their quarters to ready for the trip to the surface.

"Tomar, did he give you any indication as to why he retired so abruptly?"

Tomar
Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:02:20 PM
My grey eyes matched her icy green eyes. There were three sets of eyes who always made feel semi-uneasy: Grand Admiral Thrawn, Millard, and the woman who stood before me. Ironically, she wasn't my wife. No, Jaranda has other ways of making me uneasy.

Rear Admiral Serena Laran. She'd come to Millard as a 'Captain', although her true rank wasn't known to us until much later. She was the liason between the Empire and Millard, as he weighed his options of who to rejoin. Millard and Laran had become friends over the year they'd worked together. There had been speculation between other officers, how close their relationship actually was. But it was proved for not.

Millard and Laran's relationship, as friends, had ended rather bad. Taylor had fired her during the mission on Balmorra, for disagreeing on the methods of how to negotiate. That's all he ever said.

"No he did not, Admiral," I spoke to her, "He gave no real indication. You would have to speak with him personally about it. If you wish to accompany us down to the surface, I believe it wouldn't be minded. It might even help, Millard decide to rejoin.

"He could have just been tired of all of this. But you would have to ask him. Will you join us in the negotiations?"

Serena Laran
Dec 4th, 2001, 03:02:55 AM
Serena inclined her head slightly, "I will accompany the group to the surface." She turned on her heel and left the bridge, making her way though the corridors towards the shuttle bay where she would await the others.

The fact that she had been fired from her assignment with Millard on Balmorra still irked her. She had done nothing wrong, but she had found out about Steven Drake. And had confronted the Admiral with it, who had refused to talk about the subject. When Clara and her brother turned up dead from spice overdoses...it had been too much for Laran.

The arguement she had held with the Admiral in closed quarters had not been pretty. He told her to leave, and she did. Millard closed the deal with Balmorra a scant week later. She knew the Empire wanted him back. As for herself, she no longer wanted to know him. Laran could not completely respect him any more, but if it came down to it, she obeyed orders, and orders came from the Diktat. Admiral Millard was needed back in this time of merging with TIR.

She took a seat, waiting for the shuttle to finish being prepped.

Taylor Millard
Dec 4th, 2001, 04:13:47 AM
Well that's that, Millard thought as he closed the channel with the Superior.

We meet in a few hours to discuss my re-integration into the Empire. Feh, this stinks of Viscera's doing. Either that, or Tomar's getting wistful for my return...either way, this'll be interesting.

Taylor stood, then walked from the communications room towards the hangar bay to meet the Imperials. He was certain Tomar would be a part of the delegation and Viscera. But Serena Laran's presense unnerved him.

Why's she here? She never responded to my apology letter. Not that I expected her too. She is a bit of a hardass. But a good hardass. One who demands from her crew, and the best at that. I was hoping she'd get an Imperial Star Destroyer detail but I suppose not. Ah well, maybe Zorrin Hexes put her to work.

He remembered their argument well. It was during the Balmorra mission, when they discussed the information Steven Drake had brought Millard about Clara Beltrane's addiction to spice. Millard had wanted to exploit it, while Laran did not.

"What do you think of Drake's information?" Millard had asked his blue eyes glowing with the possibilities of triumph over Balmorra.

"I think it was illgotten. However useful the information is, this means of getting it was illegal. Perhaps you have been in the Unknown Regions for too long, Admiral. We have other methods of gathering information in Known Space, outside of breaking and entering," the green eyed Admiral shot back with spite.

"Sometimes rules have to be broken to gain an advantage," Millard spoke slowly, his anger growing as he met Laran's gaze, "Sometimes underhandedness has to happen. The Beltranes have too much control over the Council, and even with Governor Kiterix's approval, the full council must agree with his decision before the Empire can take contol."

Laran was even more defient, "Be that as it may, Admiral, I do not agree with you tactics and will be including my official disagreement, in my report."

Taylor had expected nothing less. He shot back, "Very well, Admiral Laran, but let me remind you I cannot guarentee your safety, or that of Governor Kiterix. Drake has all ready said they might be planning an assassination attempt on all three of us.

"I suggest we take advantage of Clara Beltrane's spice addiction and remove her from the council."

Laran was livid "Yes we could take advantage of her spice addiction, but why does it mean killing her? Is your trust in my negotitating skills that lacking?!? I got you to rejoin the Empire didn't I?

Millard felt his rage explode. But instead of raising his voice, he became calm, "I rejoined the Empire. Because I felt it was best for my crew, not for myself. Regardless, Rear Admiral Serena Laran, I have made my decision. If you've got a problem, then I have your solution. You're fired, Admiral. When Tomar arrives you can go back to Coruscant. Dismissed."

For once, Millard had suprised himself, and Laran. The look on her face was one of anger and shock. Before turning on her heel, she nodded, then made her exit. That night, Millard had Drake poison Troy Beltrane's food and sleeping tonic. He died the next day, of a spice overdose. Clara Beltrane was arrested for spice addiction. And Balmorra was the Empire's again.

But Laran had left before the negotitations were finished. Taylor still regretted his decision to relieve her of her command. In the letter he'd written her, upon his retirement, he said:

Rear Admiral Laran,
I apologize for my rudeness earlier. Although I felt the methods of my negotitations were correct, it is obvious you did not. I will have to live with the fact I killed an innocent, something I'm none too proud off. There was no war which I was a part of, but it was done for the Empire. I do not like it, but I made my decision and Balmorra is the Empire's again.

But I have retired from active duty. The Empire has changed since I left, and I do not wish to be a part of it. Perhaps my time with The Sith Order has made me more jaded than I thought. It is time for me to reflect on my life, and how I feel about various things and individuals. I wish our relationship, as friends, had gotten better instead of worse.

Sincerely,
Admiral Taylor Millard (rtd)

Taylor had a sneaky suspision Laran never read the letter, but it mattered not. He'd gone into retirement, wishing to be alone. But now he was uncertain. He felt as though he was missing something, but wasn't sure what.

Walking before a mirror, Taylor quickly shaved his face, then ran a hand through his medium-length, brown hair.

Haven't gotten a chance to get it cut yet. Ah well. I'll do it after they've come and gone.

Taking one last look, he walked towards the landing bay, preparing to meet the Empire...yet again.

Darth Viscera
Dec 6th, 2001, 01:57:04 AM
"This way, my Lord," said Colonel Leyas, the Captain of the Royal Guards. He was a tall, thin and firm man with dark hair, who donned his dark uniform with pleasure.

Perhaps ten black-clad guards surrounded him at a distance of two meters, giving him ample personal space as they walked through the corridors of the foreign Star Destroyer. Their destination was the hangar bay, where a special transport shuttle awaited the Diktat and his personal guards.

This breed of shuttlecraft had been designed for the Emperor during his reign. After the nearly disastrous incident with Admiral Zaarin some decades earlier, the small fleet of special shuttles which waited on every major planet loyal to the Emperor had been refitted with enhanced defenses, to ensure the improbability of impericide. The former Admiral Taylor Millard was almost certainly aware of this brand of craft, considering his role in combat against Zaarin.

The Diktat remained silent, his thoughts having yet to coalesce into something tangible. Something meaningful. His master, Anbira Hicchoru, was now a turncoat, after having tried unsuccessfully to commit suicide. That thought weighed heavily upon him, and on several occassions had nearly cost him his sanity. His first great master, Darth Vader, had died shortly after beginning to train him at the behest of the Emperor, and now Anbira.

Speak to me, Anbira!

To utterly no avail.

He followed the front half of his personal guard detail into the hangar bay, a long, well-lit room which seemed to combine the spaciousness of a Selonian warehouse with the lighting effects of the Hall of Mirrors in Chandrila's Typhon sector. Huge turbolifts ferried starfighters and transports from their lots in the main hold, deep within the bowels of the monolithic ship, to the Hangar bay, where Armory personnel proceeded to fuel, power and arm them.

He followed his guard detail up the front loading ramp of the shuttle, and took a seat. All but two of the black-clad guards dispersed to other, smaller compartments of the craft which surrounded the center chamber in which the Diktat found himself.

With a whir of repulsorlifts firing, the shuttle lifted off, its ion drives shooting it out of the hangar bay to the first Escort point.

"Shuttle Gamma-One, this is Escort Transport group Epsilon. Be advised-we are launching TIE Devils now." the comm transmission passed through into the center chamber via the intercom.

"Confirmed, Epsilon group. We stand advised," the pilot replied.

TIE Devils streamed out of the two Escort Transports. Each of the modified control ships could easily accomodate a full squadron of the small, agile craft, and in this case, did so. The TIE Devils took up a box escort formation with the shuttle, and proceeded on, with the Escort Transports staying in the rear.

Bonhelious was a dark planet, covered by clouds and filled with swamp-like forests. The small entourage-force circled the planet until the sensors could lock in a landing path. That done, the TIE Devil escort remained in orbit, while the shuttle descended to the planet. With a grinding of gears, the landing struts lowered into position, and the shuttle set down with a thump.

Taylor Millard
Dec 6th, 2001, 04:32:37 PM
As the shuttles landed, Taylor Millard strode out to meet them. With a proffered nod of recognition and honor to Lord Viscera, and the rest of the men, Taylor spoke.

"Lord Viscera, it is an honor to see you, sir."

To Tomar, he smiled and extended his hand.

"Tomar, you look well."

The General responded, "Thank you, sir."

To Laran, Millard just nodded their eyes locking briefly. Laran scowled and Millard returned it likewise. He would have to speak with her later.

"Shall we go to the...negotiating table, Lord Viscera? Or would you prefer a tour of what is left of the facilities?"

Darth Viscera
Dec 7th, 2001, 05:56:30 AM
The Diktat nodded back to the former Admiral, and took in his surroundings. Behind him, the shuttle's boarding ramp extended back into the hull of the craft, and environmental jets were discarding what carbon dioxide and other harmful elements which had been acquired during space travel. With a nod to Colonel Leyas, the Royal Guards reentered the shuttle using various hatches built into the rear of the vessel.

"Let us begin the negotations, Admiral."

Serena Laran
Dec 9th, 2001, 05:26:31 AM
Laran shot Millard a venemous glance, and then fell in behind the higher ranking men as they walked into the buildings. Her feelings were no secret to him, although the other men did not know.

They would have to talk, and away from the table. Where their conversation would not be overheard. Above all, she did her duty to the Empire. The Empire wanted Millard back. And so Laran would do her duty.

Taylor Millard
Dec 10th, 2001, 02:07:57 AM
Millard led the Imperial group from the hangar bay towards the negotiating room. It had served Taylor, when he was with the Empire, as a command center for he and his troops. Commander Lecter used it to coordinate the Unknown Regions troops, when Millard took the Superior for Known Space. He commanded well, but ended up losing his life as 'The Tormentors' and the Templis Cult attacked and killed most of the garrison. Millard and Co. had returned to save the base for the glory of the Empire, but the base itself was ruined. It was abandoned, with the Imperial Star Destroyer Leatherneck serving as a make-shift base. This was all before Millard retired from the Empire.

The room itself was medium-sized with painting of a grey hue on the walls. The Imperial flag still hung on the far wall, surrounded by muted white lights. A long mahogany table sat in the middle of the room, with six leather chairs waiting for them. As if Millard expected them to arrive.

Taylor stood, watching the others as they took a seat. Tomar sat next to him, Lord Viscera took the seat at the far end of the table with Laran near him.

Millard sat where he used to sit, then stared directly down at Viscera.

"Very well, Lord Viscera, you have come all the way out to Bonhelious to bring me back to the Empire. You may start, sir. Give me reasons for why I should come back to the Empire? Then we will break until the morrow, and start again. That is pleasing with you, yes?"

Darth Viscera
Dec 10th, 2001, 05:32:03 AM
So this is how a man of so stalwart a foundation begs for his life.

"No reasons that you are unaware of, Admiral. The Empire faces challenges new and old day after day, and we could use another officer of such noted excellence to help guide us into the New Order."

Taylor Millard
Dec 10th, 2001, 05:57:29 AM
"That the Empire does," Taylor said, folding his arms over his chest, "I am honored, Lord Viscera, you think of me as an excellent officer. I certainly attempted to serve the Empire to the best of my ability. But are there not enough officers in the current Imperial Core who could serve the Empire as well as I? Or have the respect of their fellow officers?

"I must congratulate you on your victory over the 'Imperial Remenant'. Another success for the Empire for certain. I hope their reintergration into the Empire is a successful one."

Millard, briefly fiddled with a piece of paper, scrawling notes on it, before slipping it away in his pocket.

By now a serving droid had appeared in the room, a pitcher of liquid in its hands. As Millard accpeted a cup, he slid the note out of this pocket, placing it on a saucer (attempting to be as unnoticable as possible), then took a sip from the cup.

"Would you prefer a drink, Lord Viscera...Admiral Laran...Tomar?"

The droid set a cup and saucer before Laran. Beneath the cup was a note which said, "We need to talk. -T" on it.

Millard nodded towards the Imperial Diktat, then spoke, "Are there any pressing matters that concerns the Empire now? While rejoining the ranks of the Imperials is tempting, I must meditate on it for a few hours before making my decision. I do hope that pleases the Diktat. But I will consider it, greatly."

Darth Viscera
Dec 10th, 2001, 02:08:31 PM
"...are there not enough officers in the current Imperial Core who could serve the Empire as well as I? Or have the respect of their fellow officers?"

"There are, Admiral Millard. However, the Empire can never have too many officers of your quality, and I would be overly pleased were I ever put in a position to have to announce to the galaxy that we are in a state of surplus."

He allowed himself a smile at that remark, imagining all the corrupt Republic beauracrats bumbling about, finding some way to thwart that tidbit of good news.

He nodded to Millard's offer of a drink. "A warm cup of Corusca Gem tea with fourteen grams of synthecrose would do nicely, if it can be arranged."

A droid nearly identical to the first one returned shortly with a translucent cup, a bit of steam encircling the top. The liquid inside was a sharp red, before turning an emerald green after a few seconds. Heat charged the drink to its maximum shade of red, and for hours it would continuously change colors, finally ending as a black caf-type liquid after nearly a day, as its heat completely dissipated.

"Please do consider my offer. General Tomar has taken the liberty of planning a state dinner at nineteen hundred hours aboard the Superior, in honor of your decision."

Taylor Millard
Dec 12th, 2001, 11:17:46 AM
Taylor shot General Tomar a 'We have to speak' look, as he heard it was Tomar's idea for the dinner.

"Very well Lord Viscera," he spoke, taking a sip from his own glass of water, "I will be on the Superior tonight at 1900 hours."

"Is there anything else you require while you are here, Lord Viscera? I can have it provided for certain. A bit to eat perhaps? Shall I order lunch for the three-I mean four of us?"

Darth Viscera
Dec 12th, 2001, 12:02:41 PM
"Thank you, no, Admiral."

Taylor Millard
Dec 12th, 2001, 12:42:33 PM
"Very well, I will see you on the Superior tonight," Millard finished his water, then had the droids take the empty glasses away.

As General Tomar began to make his exit, Millard caught him.

"We need to speak General. Come, meet me in my office."

Tomar
Dec 13th, 2001, 02:00:51 AM
I walked down the hallway towards the office of my former mentor and commander. The walls were still the same, grey with the burgundy edging to them. I still saw some of the blaster scars of the war with the Templis Cult. Interesting how some scars stay prevelent in life.

Millard's study was the same too. A portrait of Grand Admiral Thrawn near a window, a full communications system in the dark corner. Two leather chairs sat infront of a mahagony desk.

How many does he own? I thought, He left the one on the ship. Now this one. Didn't he have one with The Black Hand too?

"Sit down Tomar," Taylor spoke directing me to one of the seats. His blue eyes held a fury I'd only seen a few times.

"Why are you here, Tomar. Why now? What in the Empire could have convinced you to try and get me to rejoin The Empire again? Hmm?"

I was a bit taken aback, "I figured you missed it, Admiral."

The Admiral-former admiral's blue eyes flashed and his voice rose, "You assumed?!? What have I told you about assumption, General? It has led to the deaths of many of the Empire's men because they weren't prepared!

"But," his voice softened as he stared as me, "Your assumption, may have been partially correct..."

His eyes softened, "I admit to have missed something from my life. But I never was sure what it was. I admit, I miss the Superior and its crew. But, it is not for me to decide."

Inwardly, I smiled. It was working. Taylor did miss it. If only the dinner would go well...

It was then a knock came from the door. Millard's voice returned to its normal steady tone.

"Yes...who is it?"

I almost groaned as I saw who walked in.

"Rear Admiral Serena Laran here as requested...Citizen Millard."

Serena Laran
Jan 14th, 2002, 01:48:56 AM
She was as icily formal as always. Serena saluted the General out of respect for his position, and returned her sole attention to the man behind the desk. Her gaze was unforgiving, an iceberg with which she would sink as many ships as he would throw at her.

"I believe you wished to speak with me?" Her heels clicked together once, and she remained by the door, standing stiffly. "Perhaps I should come back." Laran's tone indicated she'd rather leave and never come back. Ever.

Taylor Millard
Jan 14th, 2002, 02:05:24 AM
"No, sit down Laran," Millard spoke returning the icy gaze sent his way, "I asked you to come since we do have things to discuss. Mainly the split which happened between us."

As she began to open her mouth, Millard interupted her, "I don't even want to hear your protests Admiral. We have things to discuss...now!"

His blue eyes showed the fury he had back when he used the Force.

"Tomar, you can leave now."

Nodding, the general made his exit.

Millard stood, his cold blue eyes staring right back at the icy green ones of Laran's. The two stared back and forth at each other, as if they were waiting for the other to give in.

This is pathetic, Taylor thought as he broke contact. Not as a sign of weakness, but a sign of respect.

"So, Admiral," he stated diplomatically, "How has your career gone, since your depature from Balmorra?"

Serena Laran
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:34:43 AM
Serena returned his gaze calmly, anger still bubbling under the surface. "My career has gone better than yours. I still have one."

Before the former Admiral could form a rebuttal to her comment, she continued. "However, I do not wish to waste time talking about myself. I am here because of you. The Empire is calling you back, and you are truly a fool if you do not return." She sat across from Millard in the chair recently vacated by the General. "You miss the Imperial life, the structure and the regulations."

She raised an eyebrow. "And how long did you think that the Empire would allow you to occupy one of its planets in the Unknown Regions without being commissioned? Oh yes, Bonhelious belongs to the Empire. Not to you. I'm surprised that the Diktat allowed you to return here, knowing so many people were so loyal to you still in service here."

Laran plowed onward, taking a quick breath. "There are trooper, engineers and the like on board the Diktat's ship. We will be changing the guard at Bonhelios. And we aren't asking your permission. You do not hold a command here. When you joined the Empire again, you gave Bonhelious to us." Her look soften slightly. "Of course, there is a way to keep Bonhelious the way you enjoy it. And believe it or not, I regret that these are our terms.

"As to our previous disagreement, I would rather not talk about it." She blinked and turned her green eyes on him, waiting his response.

Taylor Millard
Jan 17th, 2002, 06:29:44 PM
Millard laughed. Not a haughty or disrespecting laugh, but one of amusement.

"You're right Admiral," he stated, his blue eyes flashing, "The planet does belong to the Empire, I never said otherwise. However, this compound...is not the Empire's."

Reaching into his desk, he removed a deed.

"This," he handed it over to her for inspection, "Was something I came up with before you even came to this planet. It states, I own the living compound itself. If the Empire wants the planet they can have it. I will make the process easy for them to take over.

"But," his eyes grew sharper, "This is mine."

"And do not even think, Laran, of telling me what you assume I think. I do not care if you are right in your assumption, assuming is the worst thing to do. It's what brought the Empire to failure years ago. I swore then, never to assume again.

"And as for me retiring, honestly Serena, I don't know why I did. Perhaps it was to grieve for my brother. When someone, who you haven't seen for years all of a sudden shows up, on the wrong side of the war- how would you feel? Then, he dies and it's like whatever is controlling things out there says 'Oh sorry, you were to know him'. How would you feel?

"Tell me Admiral, I am curious to know your response."

Serena Laran
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:54:14 AM
She looked at Millard, and kept his gaze without flinching. "I do not doubt that you have suffered loss, Admiral. And if I had lost someone I truly cared for, I cannot say how I would react." Her voice softened a little, "I can - cannot..." Serena took a deep breath, and composed herself, cursing her lack of professionalism. To a casual observer, nothing in her demenor had changed, except for a slight stumble over her words.

"I do not presume to assume anything about you, Admiral. Have you so quickly forgotten the year we spent before you rejoined the Empire?" She rose to her feet. "I know you better than you think I do. And it is to your detriment that you underestimate me. Now, if you will excuse me, I believe I have some transfers to put in order."

Of course, the transfers had been put in order three times already by the time she'd arrived in the Unknown Regions. In her time with Millard, he had had a strange affect on her, bringing her out of the shell of duty she kept herself hidden inside of. After he left, she had been more than happy to slip inside it again. Serena had had nothing to do in her quarters than read strategy manuals and shuffle papers.

Laran stood at ease, waiting for her dismissal.

Taylor Millard
Feb 4th, 2002, 03:19:10 AM
"What I have noticed Rear Admiral Serena Laran," Millard spoke his eyes looking back into hers, "Is you have obeyed etiquette and protocol more than anyone else I know.

"I do not forget the year we spent as collegues out here. You made me realize the Empire was my home. And I am honored by that."

He stood up from his desk, walking towards the large window to the left of it.

"What I have also noticed, Admiral, is your unwillingness to open up, and allow yourself to come out. You're in a shell Serena. One that, even though I do not use the Force I can still see, is choking you from inside."

He turned to face her, "You surround yourself in duty and it's killing you."

His piercing blue eyes bore into her, "What is it, you're afraid of? And don't lie to me Rear Admiral, I will know it. What is it you're afraid of?"

Serena Laran
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:03:31 AM
She didn't answer right away, as there were no easy answers to his questions. Serena looked down at her boots for another long moment, and then her green eyes met Millard's blue ones.

"I do not believe that it is any of your business, Mister Millard. However." She cleared her throat, and continued. "I am afraid of missing the mark. I joined the Empire, vowing to become the very best captain I could be. So I follow every command to the letter and the intent of the law, and I spend my free time becoming better at what I do. If the Empire is to return to its glory then -"

Millard cleared his throat, and she suddenly flushed red. "What I mean is... I bury myself in my duty because I fear failure, and I fear myself." She blushed again angrily, and glared at Millard.

Taylor Millard
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:22:43 AM
She is more and more revealing herself Millard thought as he looked at the Rear Admiral's icy green eyes.

"You are correct, Ms. Laran, it is none of my business," his cold blue eyes met her green ones again.

"But I believe we are now more than just collegues, but friends. And you are one of the best Imperials I have met in a long time."

He took a small step forward, walking to close the distance between the two.

"You are honorable. You follow orders, and you think of the glory of the Empire before yourself. That is why you succeed, Serena, because you think of others and not yourself.

"But...fearing yourself is not the right thing. And perhaps I am realizing that myself today. But, one thing Tomar always cautioned me of being too good of an Imperial.

"Grand Admiral Thrawn did that as well. He purposely studied other cultures to learn more about them.

"Perhaps a break is in order for you, Serena. Or loosening a bit. While I demand the best from the officers under me, a mistake here and there is not the end of the world."

He smiled, then looked at her again, "Do you agree?"

Serena Laran
Feb 10th, 2002, 02:16:36 AM
Friends? Serena stiffened at the words. "Perhaps we were friends once. Yet you betrayed what the Empire stands for...or perhaps it is only what is used to stand for."

She cleared her throat, and drew herself up to her full six feet of height, still shorter than the retired Admiral. "I do not require a break, and you are not in command over me. Not any more. So no, I do not agree. I may look over small mistakes in my underlings, yet a large mistake can often occur from a series of small ones. Such mistakes I cannot accept in my own life."

Laran sighed imperceptibly, and her shoulders drooped minutely. "Millard, it goes against my nature to 'loosen up' as you put it. Just as civillian life runs against your own nature."

Taylor Millard
Feb 10th, 2002, 02:46:12 AM
"Then..." Millard said staring at her, "We need to reach a deal. As you can tell by my current status..."

He pointed around the room, "I could not live with the ramifications of my choice on Balmorra. And thus, I am a civilian. A civilian which wishes to return to the Empire."

Taylor sucked in his breath, "And in return...you will learn to 'loosen up' and to relax."

The former (and soon to be reinstated) Imperial walked towards the bookshelf near the window. He stood there, as if looking for a particular book, then smiled as he found it. He removed a book then set it down on the desk.

The History of The Starfighter Part I by Jal Hordan

Parts II through IV with V and VI following soon after.

"Consider that a gift, Serena. Your Imperial File showed you had a birthday about 2 months ago. I apologize for not getting those to you sooner.

"Can you," he spoke slowly and it seemed almost with a bit of nervousness, "Accept my apology for disrespecting your rank, your person, and our friendship during the negotiations on Balmorra?"

Serena Laran
Feb 10th, 2002, 03:04:53 AM
Laran looked down at the books on the desk, and then back at Millard. She didn't try to puzzle out how he had rooted out her love for history. "Thank you for the thoughtful gift. And..." she faltered a little, "I accept your apology. One one condition!"

He looked at her, waiting.

She raised a red eyebrow. "Do not do it again." And then she smiled unexpectedly.

Taylor Millard
Feb 10th, 2002, 03:22:37 AM
Millard allowed a smile to come to his face.

"Very well, Admiral Laran, I will not. I do hope you enjoy the books, first edition," Taylor began walking towards her.

"I'm glad your career has gone well, Serena. And I'm glad you came. I appreciate it."

He paused, feeling a bit foolish, "The library at my family's estate on Balmorra has massive amounts of books, some which no longer exist in print. If you wish, I can get ahold of the caretakers and send some more to you?

"Would that be okay with you?"

Serena Laran
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:45:53 AM
Serena frowned before she could recover her composure, and settled her face into its familiar set. He was getting closer to her as he talked, and she unconsciously took a step back, still keeping the familiar distance between them. "That won't be necessary ..Taylor. But I thank you."

She glanced at her chrono. "I must change for dinner. I will see you in an hour, Admiral." Serena scooped up the books, saluted, and turned on her heel and stepped out of his office.

Taylor Millard
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:58:55 AM
Millard returned her salute, then turned back to his desk. He took a seat, rubbing his temples as he did so.

All of the day's events have given me a headache.

Taylor sat behind his desk for twenty minutes, contemplating everything. He sighed, then rose, heading for the communications device near the desk

"Millard to Superior. Millard to Superior. Tell Lord Viscera I will join him in an hour for the dinner. Thank you."

As Taylor signed off, he looked at the bookshelf, then smiled.

Muttering, he spoke, "I hope you enjoy the books Serena. Happy birthday."

Then he walked to his dresser, preparing for the dinner.

Tomar
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:13:09 PM
I couldn't help but smile when I heard Taylor was coming to the dinner. It was a good sign, a sign the retired Admiral was not going to be retired for very long.

Quickly I dropped a message off to Jaranda, saying the mission would be successful and we would be seeing Taylor in uniform soon. I told her I loved her, and wished she were here.

I walked to the refresher, enjoying the water as I scrubbed myself clean. I exitted, then put on my finest uniform. It was a state dinner after all.

Forty-five minutes later, I was standing on the launch deck watching as the black missile boat entered the hangar of the Superior. Millard stepped out of the fighter, walking up to me. He wasn't in uniform, opting for a black jumpsuit and jacket. His black boots though, shone as if the sun's light was on it.

"Admiral," I spoke as I shook his hand.

Taylor shook his head, "Not yet General. I haven't been given my commision back."

We began the walk from the hangar bay towards the lift. As we entered, I turned to face my mentor.

"Lord Viscera has requested a non-meat meal. The menu is pasta with a salad. We also found a bottle of 24 year old brandy on Coruscant. I believe it is accepted for this type of dinner."

Millard let a smile cross his face, "That's up to you. I am here as your guest, not your commanding officer."

Hopefully, you'll be my commanding officer again, I thought as the lift slowed to a stop.

We exitted the lift, walking towards the dining area. As we reached the dining hall, Millard stopped then looked towards me.

"General Tomar, I do thank you for coming here. It is good to see you," then he smiled once more.

The doors opened and we stepped into the dining room.

Darth Viscera
Feb 15th, 2002, 09:15:47 PM
The Diktat looked over at the buffet table containing the various before-dinner fingerfoods and beverages. He had tried many of them himself, and found the Corellian foods to be more his type. Corellians certainly do enjoy their spices, he noticed as he nibbled on what was referred to as a Rocchi Roll. The crust appeared to be a sour dough which, at some point in the cooking process, had been sprinkled with seasoned salt after being doused with oil. Inside, various green vegetables formed a wrap around melted Drallish cheese. He enjoyed it greatly, though he was also quite sure that he would pay for this delight later, his body not being used to the consumption of this much fatty acids all at once.

Officers of the Superior's senior staff gathered around the buffet table, partaking of the pre-dinner foods while they chatted amongst themselves. He had invited the senior staff to this pre-dinner function in hopes of learning more about Admiral Millard's tour in the Unknown Regions. He had read the report filed to Imperial Center regarding the subject, but it was not to be compared to the actual living account of those who had experienced it. And perhaps, were he to instill a sense of nostalgia in Admiral Millard of his days in the Imperial Navy, he could be convinced to return.

"Thank you for attending this function," he said aloud to the Senior Staff officers. "I am grateful for your knowledge. Return to your quarters now, and enjoy your evening."

The group filed out, and assistants cleaned the state room for the dinner with Admiral Millard, which would begin in a matter of minutes.

Finally, it began, with Taylor Millard entering the state room five minutes before schedule, a scant two minutes after the room had been cleaned. The Diktat smiled and walked towards Millard, right arm outstretched in greeting.

"I have awaited this meeting with great interest, Admiral Millard. I wonder if you would please an aging man with tales of your tour in the Unknown Regions?"

Taylor Millard
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:18:48 AM
Aging man? Tomar thought as he watched Millard shake Lord Viscera's hand, Millard's older than Viscera by atleast 7 years.

Millard shook the Diktat's hand, giving it a firm, quick shake.

His thoughts came to him quickly as he remembered his time in the Unknown Regions. The Clan Vitiku, the 'Tormentors', the Templis Cult...his brother... Millard had to pause as he gathered his thoughts. The pain of his brother's death still bothered him. But now wasn't the time to think of the past. It was time to think of the presenet and the future.

"I am not one for war stories, unfortunately, Lord Viscera, but I will tell you the pertinent information," he spoke, as Tomar walked away from the two, getting two glasses of brandy, "Most of it was spent around Bonhelious, keeping control of the system here. The natives at first were quite, unfriendly when we arrived. I believe, it was because they knew of the Chiss and assumed Grand Admiral Thrawn was a member of their military and not the Empire."

Millard accepted the drink from Tomar, thanking him. He then re-directed his blue eyes towards Darth Viscera, "When Grand Admiral Thrawn left to rally what was left of the Imperial Fleet after the Emperor died on Endor, he gave me command of the forces out here.

"We were able to sustain ourselves out there, running into creatures in the Saat Forest-just outside of the main city of Cocytus- we called 'The Tormentors'. The only main resistance we encountered was a group calling themselves, the Templis Cult. After a series of lengthy battles, we were successful in defeating them. They have not been heard of since. That was two years ago."

The doors to the dining area opened again, and Rear Admiral Serena Laran marched in, on time as usual. Millard gave her an nod, then spoke again, "Admiral Laran can back up about the Templis Cult. She was on Bonhelious when the Templis Cult attacked."

He took a sip of the brandy, his mouth savoring the caramelly flavor.

"If you do need any more information, I believe you have the reports, both public and private, Admiral Laran sent as the liason between the Empire and my forces. Given how detailed she is, I believe you have enough about the area."

As the preparations to the dinner were complete, Millard took a seat, Tomar sitting across from him and Admiral Laran next to him. Darth Viscera took a seat at the head of the table.

Millard took a bite of his pasta, a tortellini filled with a bit of cheese. For once, it was not too soft.

"Do you wish to know my decision now, Lord Viscera? Or shall I give it at the end of the dinner?"

Darth Viscera
Feb 19th, 2002, 01:22:02 AM
He listened intently to Millard speak of his times in the Unknown Regions, trying to siphon out what indicated an emotional response. Millard's succintness came as a shock to him, one he struggled to conceal. He took a sip of his brandy; it had been distilled from wildberries on Rynassh, and went down smooth, leaving a residual feeling as though the Diktat's head were taking a trip in various directions without his consent. He stabilized himself.

"What conclusion have you reached?"

Taylor Millard
Feb 19th, 2002, 02:56:53 AM
"With your permission," Millard spoke taking glances at both Read Admiral Laran and General Tomar, "I wish to return to the Imperial Navy. I will report to whichever station you give me, sir."

He stood, in attention, as he awaited Lord Viscera's response.

Serena Laran
Feb 19th, 2002, 03:55:26 AM
Rear Admiral Serena Laran stepped into the dining room on board the Superior, uniform pressed imacculately, and as cool as always. She pretended to ignore the former Admiral's flattery of her performance as Imperial liason, yet found it difficult.

Sitting down to dinner with these men, the Diktat himself, General Tomar, and his loyalty to Millard, and Millard. The ex-Imperial officer. If he had not resigned his commission, she would have filed an official complaint against his actions on Balmorra. Yet it had not been necessary, because he had left.

As he made his announcement, the tall woman shifted a little in her seat, replacing her fork beside her untouched plate. Tomar was beaming, and she shot him a cold glare that iced over his good mood, returning him to business. The Diktat had not yet recieved Millard back, although, since he had come with no other purpose in mind, the outcome was a foregone conclusion, as Tomar and she knew.

The trip had had other benefits, the refitting of the outpost base here in the Unknown Regions, and the changing of the guard had been in the works for some time. Laran had worked hard getting everything in order for the immense transfer of supplies and troops.

Serena folded her hands, content to stay quiet and let the ceremony of the situation run on.

Darth Viscera
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:14:01 AM
The Diktat allowed himself a subtle smile, and stood to acknowledge the Admiral.

"Yours will be a welcome addition to the glory that is the New Order, Taylor Millard. You may resume your rank of Admiral, though a man of your caliber can expect to be a higher rank with time."

He motioned to his aides, and they brought glasses of chardonnay to all seated at the table. He raised his glass in toast, and exclaimed:

"To Admiral Taylor Millard..may he bring yet greater glory to the Empire!"

Tomar
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:13:46 PM
Millard nodded, "Thank you Lord Viscera. I will serve the Empire to the fullest of my mind, body, and spirit."

The dinner continued without much further incident. The discussions ranged from the status of the Empire to what the next operation for Millard would be.

It took only two hours for Millard's personal belonging to be transported aboard the Superior. The new Bonhelious commander, Remik Straka, would take over once Millard's ship went into hyperspace.

Taylor was staring at Bonhelious, when I pressed the chime for entry into his study. It was a sign of respect, even if I did have the codes for entry. He allowed me entry, smiling when he saw it was I. I took a seat in front of the desk, feeling a bit more comfortable now that Millard was back in second-in-command.

"You didn't have to do this Tomar," Millard spoke as he kept his blue eyes in space, "I eventually would have reported back to the Empire, in hopes to feeling complete."

I felt a smile on my face, "That may be true sir. But sometimes, we have to be pushed into doing what is not only the best for us, but also what's right for us.

"I have never been a deep thinker sir, but you belong here. With the Empire, and the Superior. You serve as a reminder to those who wonder what the Empire stands for. And that's why, I'm proud you've been my leader and my friend for 30 years."

I placed a datapad on his desk, "Jaranda sent this, told me to give it you regardless your decision. I think you'll accept it."

Taylor picked up the datapad, keying the message on it. It was video streaming of my wife, Jaranda, looking very pregnant her face still the same as it was the last time Taylor had seen her.

She spoke, "Taylor. If my husband hasn't convinced you to get off that rock you call Bonhelious and return to active duty, maybe I can. As you know, Tomar and I are expecting our first child...We would like you to be the godfather of our child..."

Millard raised a brown eyebrow as he listened.

Jaranda continued, "And even if you don't come back, still be the godfather. You have been a friend to both Tomar and I for too long to not accept it. I wish you best of luck and hope to see you soon."

The message ended and Millard looked at me.

"You knew about this," he wasn't asking a question.

I smiled, "Guilty as charged. It was both our idea. We came to each other at the same time, asking if you should be the godfather. You've been a father to me, Admiral, and Jaranda loves you like a brother. You can't say no."

Millard sent an expression of, "You know I can't say no" at me, then grinned, "It appears, today is a day of discovery for all of us. Admiral Laran and I have begun to smooth out our differences. I am back in the Empire, and now I'm going to be a godfather. Very well, I suppose I should issue my first order as commander of the Superior"

I followed Taylor as he walked out onto the bridge of the Superior. He took his seat, the seat that had always been his, and turned to the helm.

"Set course for Coruscant."

"Course set for Coruscant aye!"

"Take us out."

The Superior entered hyperspace, heading back to the Empire.