PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be cool if...

darth_mcbain
Nov 30th, 2001, 10:33:34 AM
... Lucas opened up a theme park? I was thinking about this the other day. Maybe it is cheesy, but it would be pretty cool to have an amusement park totally based on a SW theme. You could have different areas within the park representing the different planets from the movie, and attractions at each "planet". For instance, on Hoth they could have rides which simulate the speeder attack on the AT-ATs, or in Endor, they could have a speeder-bike ride. Instead of Disney characters walking around, they could have the movie characters.

I don't know, like I said, maybe it is a cheesy idea, but it could be neat...

Jedieb
Nov 30th, 2001, 11:21:34 AM
We do have Star Tours at Disney World in Orlando. I'm not sure if the California park has a SW ride. I can tell you I had a great time when I went there. The ride itself was pretty cool and and it wasn't even a film vehicle. I can only imagine how much cooler it would have been if it had been based on a shuttle or Star Destroyer. Star Tours also has life sized vehicles outside the ride which are almost worth the price of admission. There's a huge AT-AT and I believe they've got a Snowspeeder as well. The gift shop is always busy and features tons of SW merchandise.

I think a SW theme park would definitely work. But I think the time for Lucas to start a park like that may have come and gone before ANH even hit the screen. The costs to start a park like that today would be so astronomical that Lucas would have to have partners and I'm not sure he'd want that. I think setting up large SW sections at Studio or Disney parks would be the ticket. Your idea is a good one Darth McBain. Hopefully we'll see some form of it one day.

darth_mcbain
Nov 30th, 2001, 12:00:59 PM
Yeah - that huge AT-AT is awesome... I have my picture taken under it, if I can dig it up... You bring up a good point, EB. The costs to do that would probably require Lucas to get corporate sponsership, and then you'd have advertising all over the place for non-SW stuff, which wouldn't be cool. Lucas has got money, but probably not the kind of money to actually make something like that happen.

Fun to dream though... :)

Jedieb
Nov 30th, 2001, 12:28:46 PM
I still think he might greenlight more Disney rides. Maybe even a whole planet like you mentioned earlier. They've been having Star Wars weekends at Disney so the groundwork is there for further SW exhibits. I'd love to take my kids to a Tatooine or Hoth exhibit. We'd drive my wife crazy!:rollin

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 30th, 2001, 02:24:57 PM
Maybe Disney will build one to challange Universal's new islands of Adventures (they have a jurassic Park section, Marvel Universe, etc) that would be the only way it work, I admit it would be very cool.