PDA

View Full Version : 'A Hero By Any Name' - interesting essay on LOTR and its 'heroes'

Champion of the Force
Nov 25th, 2001, 12:43:43 AM
Found this via TheOneRing.Net:

A Hero by Any Name
By David Learn

Ask someone who has read J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings to list some of its heroes, and you're probably not going to hear the name Boromir.

That's odd, because Boromir is every inch the hero: He overcomes his enemies by being stronger than they are, proving his heroism in mighty deeds. He does what he must without second-guessing himself, and when he is attacked unexpectedly, Boromir dies protecting his two weakest companions. This is a man who could be in the room with men like Beowulf, Achilles or Superman and not be outclassed.

So why the obscurity?

Among many other things, The Lord of the Rings is a book about what makes a nobody a hero. The book tells primarily the story of Frodo Baggins, a 50-year-old hobbit who enjoys a sedentary lifestyle—but who has also inherited the Ring of the book's title, a powerful weapon on which the Dark Lord Sauron has based his plans for conquest. It becomes Frodo's task to take the Ring deep into Sauron's domain and destroy it.

In the hands of many writers, the story would unfold around Frodo's efforts to master the Ring and to turn its power against Sauron. There would be a tremendous battle, Sauron would be defeated, and Frodo would become the wise, just and undisputed ruler of Middle-earth.

That's the allure of the Ring, even to good people. Because Boromir is unable to see the danger in his pride and his need for victory through the only means he understands—raw power—he tries to take the Ring from Frodo by force and disqualifies himself from hero status.

This odd definition of heroism marks Tolkien's work, and he in turn drew it from the Bible. Jesus models a different sort of heroism from the kind we see in popular movies like Gladiator or even in legends like Robin Hood and King Arthur. Just as Jesus made an unlikely messiah by being a low-born carpenter and bypassing chances to gain political power, Tolkien's heroes break with the convention Boromir follows. It is just this quiet, humble heroism that Tolkien upholds in The Lord of the Rings.

Vagrant on the Docks
One such hero is Aragorn. Also called Strider because of his endless wandering, Aragorn is lean and unkempt. When he first appears, his clothes are caked with mud, worn and stained. While everyone else in the room socializes around a warm fire, Aragorn keeps to himself. If Boromir looks like the company president, Aragorn looks like the vagrant who helps unload the delivery truck for drinking money.

Images are deceptive, though, and as Tolkien writes, "All that is gold does not glitter." There is far more to Aragorn than meets the eye.

Despite his humble appearance, Aragorn is the rightful heir to a throne that has sat empty for more than 3,000 years—one Boromir's ancestors have kept waiting for him the entire time. He has known about his heritage his entire life, but instead of seeking that throne, he has spent his life protecting people who view him with distrust because of what he appears to be. The vagrant on the docks, in other words, owns the company—but is content to unload delivery trucks until the time comes for him to be declared chief executive.

Yet—and here is one of the great ironies of The Lord of the Rings—for all that he is and does, Aragorn could not become king if not for Frodo. The people cheer when Aragorn is crowned king, but everything Aragorn has done throughout the entire book has merely been to help Frodo in his mission.

During the course of the book, Aragorn is a prominent figure in three major battles: at Helm's Deep; at Gondor; and at the Black Gate to Mordor, Sauron's domain. These battles are thrilling to read, yet they are nothing but distractions intended to keep Sauron looking everywhere but at Frodo.

Frodo's mission is seemingly ignoble: He fights no battles, rescues no besieged cities and on the rare occasions that he does fight, he loses. Compared to what everyone else is doing, his task seems positively inglorious and burdensome—which is precisely why it is so important.

The Depths of Mordor
In Mordor, death can come from many directions. The water is too foul to drink safely, and the food Frodo and his friend, Sam, have is so limited that even with careful rationing, they do not have enough to survive a return trip.

Worse still, Mordor is Sauron's stronghold. The two hobbits must be on their guard constantly for Sauron's troops. If they are caught with the Ring, they will be fortunate if death is all that comes to them.

And even victory does not mean their survival. To destroy the Ring, Frodo first must throw it into Mount Doom, the volcano where it was forged, an action that will cause the volcano to erupt. Everything about his mission makes it seem hopeless.

Yet Frodo continues. The Ring wears at him constantly, like a weight around his neck. By the time he reaches his goal, he is exhausted and numbed by the deprivation he has had to endure. Still, he makes it, the deed is done, and Frodo and Sam are showered with honor.

Ultimately, the true measure of greatness is not in strength of arms, in cleverness or in power. As Paul writes, "God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong" (1 Corinthians 1:27). As Tolkien illustrates, this is the way of the Cross: becoming so dead to ourselves that all that's left for us to do is to serve others.

Not a bad lesson. It's one I'm sure even men of steel could learn from.
It's issues like this that have me soooooooooooooo looking forward to the movies. :)

Figrin D'an
Nov 25th, 2001, 01:10:09 AM
One of the most beautiful aspects of the entire LOTR trilogy is that everyone has their own opinion on who is the hero of the story and why. It isn't cut-and-dried like so many other stories. Even those that would seem to be the obvious choices for the heroes of the tale, as those whom have read the books know, are shown to have certain weaknesses and need to depend upon others.

I definately agree... I'm really anxious for all three films...

At least it's less than a month 'til 'Fellowship' is out. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 25th, 2001, 06:00:41 PM
I always kind of felt sorry for Boromor, he is actually a normal man who at least dies a noble death, I think he is not as known also because he dies so quickly in the series and is probably forgotten by most by the ROTK. I also can't wait for it. I will defintely be going to see it opening night.

darth_mcbain
Nov 25th, 2001, 06:28:32 PM
I am probably one of the ones you're referring to Carr... Boromir, Boromir... Wasn't he the one who fell under the spell of the ring at the end of Fellowship and tried to make off with it? I've only read the trilogy once some time ago, in fact I want to hit it again before the movies for a refresher, so I'm a little shaky with some of the names and some of the characters. If it is the character I'm thinking of, then yes, it is somewhat of a shame - he simply fell under the awesome power of the ring - not entirely his fault...

I was in the bookstore yesterday and saw that the soundtrack is out... That really got me pumped for this one - I hope to see it opening night...

Just in case there are any LOTR fans who haven't read the books and don't want spoilers, I figured better safe with the spoiler tag...

Champion of the Force
Nov 25th, 2001, 06:39:18 PM
... who fell under the spell of the ring at the end of Fellowship and tried to make off with it?

Yep, that's him - he confronted Frodo and believed it would be best if they went to Gondor and when Frodo refused to hand it over he got pissed off but ended up getting killed by orcs 5 mins later after Frodo had slipped on the ring and nicked off.

That might not be 100% correct but I think you get the idea. :)

Just in case there are any LOTR fans who haven't read the books and don't want spoilers
Now there's a novel idea (pun not intended) - fans who haven't read the books or seen the film. :)

darth_mcbain
Nov 25th, 2001, 07:23:12 PM
Just in case there are any LOTR fans who haven't read the books and don't want spoilers

Yeah :lol I don't think there are many people who fall into that category... As I was writing it the first time I thought about that and was like "Naaah, this doesn't pertain to anybody" but you never know... :crack

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 25th, 2001, 10:11:35 PM
I think you just left out one thing Boromir dies in The Two Towers like you said right after Frodo slipped the ring on but he dies protecting the two hobbits Merry and Pippin. He basically saves their lives so in a way he dies a hero I covered it up just in case those fans you were talking about Darth Mcbain show up;)

ReturnOfTheCB
Nov 27th, 2001, 03:43:35 PM
I like Boromir...he kinda reminds me of Vader/Anakin, with the whole fallen hero/self sacrifice and redemption thing...in some ways I think his heroism is a very powerful story, because though he falls into temptation like all humans do at some time, he rises above that and like Vader turns out to be a hero in the end... I remember reading the beginning of Two Towers and thinking "Holy ****" because I didn't see his death coming within the beginning of the book.

(*Thanks for the help with the spoiler stuff :) *)

Doc Milo
Nov 27th, 2001, 03:47:00 PM
Actually, the text is pretty visible without highlighting it. You can cover it up by adding spoiler tags: Put the word "spoiler" in brackets [] at the beginning of the text, and then put the word "/spoiler" in brackets [] at the end of the text.

BUFFJEDI
Nov 27th, 2001, 07:06:41 PM
I have yet to read LOTR,I had ment to AND do have the book.I actually started reading it and I was kind of like(ok) but I'm sure its one of those you have to get into the book (past page 23:D ).I will fifnish it before it's out at the theaters. I really hate to say this (I truely do) but all of the commercial 's and things that have shown clips of the movie looks kind of dull(not trying to be insulting truely) but I think once I read it I'll get it. As a matter of fact Doc milo raved about it (the book)SO it may not be all bad.

ReturnOfTheCB
Nov 27th, 2001, 07:09:47 PM
Yeah, it takes a little bit before it really starts to get interesting (don't quite remember how long), but once you get past the initial part, it gets REALLY good...I think a lot of the excitement from the movie, in my case at least, comes from having read the book and wanting to see how such a magnificent work is going to be translated to the screen...

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 27th, 2001, 07:22:05 PM
Watch the last full trailer that one is amazing, I think. The comercials have only been okay I think they don't want to give too much away, but the last trailer was just wow.

darth_mcbain
Nov 27th, 2001, 10:09:32 PM
Buff - if you want my personal recommendation, when you read the books, try to read them fairly quickly. When I read them, I would read a chapter here, then a week or so would go by, then I'd read another chapter and a half, and so on... I really enjoyed the books, but I think that my enjoyment of them suffered because of reading them that way. It was a little tough to remember what was going on, and some of the continuity was lost that way. I'm going to read them again and this time will try to get through them in a more timely fashion - I'm sure that I'll enjoy them even more the second time around.

Doc Milo
Nov 28th, 2001, 01:17:15 AM
I've read them, of course, but the last time I "read" them I had the unabridged audio CDs of the books -- actually, it was a BBC dramatization of the novels. They were done really well, merging the narrative with a dramatization of the dialogue.

It does take some time to get into them, partly to get used to the style Tolkien uses. To me, it's like we're sitting around a campfire, and Tolkien is relating a verbal tale to us.