PDA

View Full Version : Midichlorians

darth_mcbain
Nov 19th, 2001, 06:30:40 PM
I came across this the other day and thought it was pretty interesting... I think some good points are raised by it

http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/movies/midichlorians_000703.html

The article itself was posted about 5 months ago, so you may have already seen this, but if not - hear ya go... Incidentally, there are other good articles about SW at that site too...

Doc Milo
Nov 19th, 2001, 11:06:45 PM
I'll read the rest at another time, but one thing I'd like to point out -- (can anyone guess?) The use of the term immaculate conception to describe Anakin's conception. You'd think someone who writes articles would at least do the research to know what the Immaculate Conception is! (It's not the conception of Christ, as Anakin's conception is mirroring, but the Catholic belief that Mary was concieved free of original sin to prepare her to carry Christ.)

Secondly, the argument that it is hereditary based on midi-chlorians is assumption at best. Qui-Gon said that all lifeforms in the galaxy have midi-chlorians; that they are necessary for life. Now, it is suggested that heredity has something to do with it (Luke: "The Force runs strong in my family. My father has it, I have it, and . . . my sister has it." Qui-Gon: "The Force is strong in him, that much is certain. Who was his father?") But that doesn't mean it (heredity) is solely responsible. If, as we've been discussing and as it seems, Jedi are not allowed to marry, that suggests that there is more than heredity to Force sensitivity.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 19th, 2001, 11:22:48 PM
Still I thought the article was pretty good I remember reading them back 6 months ago they did a good job of defending the film I thought. As far as this heredity, one is possible that some force sentive people aren't trained and second also just because a jedi is not alowed to marry might not eliminate them from concieving child maybe not naturally but artificially.

JedHead
Nov 20th, 2001, 08:49:38 PM
I read a few months back. It was rather intreging.