PDA

View Full Version : Force Master Hunter's status?

Champion of the Force
Nov 19th, 2001, 03:28:22 AM
If I recall correctly, FMH has been in a self-imposed exile ever since the issue of his mod/admin powers was brought up.

Any news on when/if he's coming back?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 19th, 2001, 03:29:52 AM
I have heard nothing, but I don't frequent the GJO, which seemed to be one of his biggest hangouts before the vanishing act, very often.

Champion of the Force
Nov 19th, 2001, 03:33:54 AM
I had half forgotten about FMH until I noticed he was listed on the Top Referrals list.

I haven't been seeing him on the Who's Online screen either (living in the same timezone we're usually online at the same time), though he could be just visiting as a Guest.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 19th, 2001, 03:38:24 AM
TYhe last time the control panel shows that he visted the site logged in as any of his names with the darth_turbogeek@yahoo.... email address is: 2001-10-17 07:18:19. Its been about a month.

Perhaps we should consider replacing his moderator position if we continue not to hear or see anything from him.

I have not seen him visiting the forums in Who's Online either, even as a guest, as I am able to recognize his IP address most times, but I don't constantly watch it either.

Champion of the Force
Nov 19th, 2001, 04:22:59 AM
I've just posted a topic at Yog's Bar & Grill asking where he is:

<a href=http://pub56.ezboard.com/fgjofrm2.showMessage?topicID=1362.topic>Atreyu to Darth Turbogeek ... Come in Darth Turbogeek ...</a>

An earlier thread suggests he's only just reappeared on the roleplaying scene again after a prolonged hiatus.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 19th, 2001, 04:29:27 AM
I just dropped in over there myself in a lurking fashoin and did see that he has been making a few posts on an OOC basis. It would be good to have him back and helping us out here with his ideas and the like.

Champion of the Force
Nov 19th, 2001, 06:16:12 AM
I managed to get in touch with him via AIM. He's not coming back to SWFans (in a moderator capacity at least). Her's the transcript of our discussion:

DvdJervs: So where have you been?
Darth Turbogeek: Thought you might be on, so I logged in with an old account with no block lists :)
Darth Turbogeek: Oh, My wife basically told me never to go back to SWFans.
DvdJervs: Oh, I see
Darth Turbogeek: So, I haven't. Dont even know the URL anymore
DvdJervs: http://www.swforums.net :)
DvdJervs: So you're not coming back - ever?
Darth Turbogeek: Unlikely, unless TSE rolls over and dies
DvdJervs: Unlikely you will come back, or unlikely you won't (ie. you will be back). Sorry, need sleep. :zzz
Darth Turbogeek: Well, unless Rama, Firebird, Lynch and Dara leave, I'm not coming back
Darth Turbogeek: And since I dont see that happening, I'm not coming back
DvdJervs: That bad huh? Well if it means anything, I don't think they like ANY of the staff that much. :p
DvdJervs: At least judging by the big argument they had with us late October (if you saw that).
Darth Turbogeek: No, I didnt. I had already left. Basically, I had enough of them. It's not good to get a stress attack
DvdJervs: Well, if you're sure, would you mind me going and let the rest of the staff know? Bascially it was agreed that if you didn't show up after a while your mod position may be dropped.
Darth Turbogeek: I'm sure.
Darth Turbogeek: I've made my decision and I'm sticking with it.
DvdJervs: Ok then. I'll let them all know. :)
Darth Turbogeek: Okay
Well there you have it - he's finished with SWFans. We also discussed other matters afterward and I again pressed the question and he reaffirmed his stance.

So in the end the following question arise:

1. Do we remove him of his mod status, or do we wait and see (since he's been away a month though I can't see him changing his mind suddenly)?

2. Do we want to make an announcement of his retirement, or just remove his status and leave it at that?

3. Do we need to appoint another mod to replace him, or is there enough at present to get the job done?

Personally I say just remove his mod status and don't bother announcing it - if he wants to have it proclaimed he can do it himself or ask someone else to mention it for him.

Also if we bring attention to it ourselves it may only just serve to further invite speculation about the ins and outs of the staff. |I

As for another mod, well I guess that depends on whether there's a major need for one. From what I have seen there isn't really that much moderating to do, but I'll let you roleplaying guys call that one. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 19th, 2001, 04:01:42 PM
Originally posted by Davwj
Personally I say just remove his mod status and don't bother announcing it - if he wants to have it proclaimed he can do it himself or ask someone else to mention it for him. I can agree with that. Think its probably the best course of action.

Darth Turbogeek: Well, unless Rama, Firebird, Lynch and Dara leave, I'm not coming back I know that feeling well. I am about to resign from TSE because of those he mentioned, myself.

Champion of the Force
Nov 19th, 2001, 04:10:19 PM
Crap - is it really that bad over there? :\

Anyways, DT has retreated to CC.Net (where there's no TSE) and is going to continue writing and roleplaying over there. As far as I'm aware, CC.Net still officially follows the same rules that SWFans did 2 years ago (ie. only the immortal 3 - that's it) - the only downside is that there's only 2 or 3 other people over there currently.

I'm starting to wonder if I should suggest my own roleplaying ideas for an alternate universe with a set timeline and no groups - only individuals. It seems a lot of people are getting dissatisfied with all the group politics. |I

TheHolo.Net
Nov 19th, 2001, 04:14:32 PM
Crap - is it really that bad over there? :\In a word, yep.

I'm starting to wonder if I should suggest my own roleplaying ideas for an alternate universe with a set timeline and no groups - only individuals. It seems a lot of people are getting dissatisfied with all the group politics. |I Might not be a bad thing to suggest something, though people are bound to be resistant to change.

Champion of the Force
Nov 19th, 2001, 04:17:30 PM
That's why I think having it as an alternative would be a better approach, rather than a replacment.

However I'll probably wait until I start my holidays (early December) before I try to do anything.

Basically the idea will work similar to the way the roleplaying at the Star Wars Galaxies forum does.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 19th, 2001, 04:20:20 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'll be looking forward to seeing the ideas and seeing if I can help develop them.

Champion of the Force
Nov 19th, 2001, 04:28:19 PM
Actually, come to think of it, it should operate very similar to JediJabroni's idea for another roleplaying universe that he proposed earlier this year.

The main difference would be that it would be set after the current EU (rather than in the middle) to allow people to use the EU as potential story material.

Here's a very rough gist of what I'm thinking of:

* Set 50-75 years after the battle of Endor (close enough for the events on the EU to have some ssort of impact, but far enough away to allow our own creativity).

* No official groups like current roleplaying universe. This roleplaying encourages the actions of individuals, not groups. In this universe, people may align themselves to a faction (eg. Jedi ABC may say they're a Jedi of the Jedi Order) however there will be no official groups with voting, hierarchy etc etc like in the current system.

* SW universe only

* People can roleplay at whatever level they wish - if a newbie wants to be a Jedi Master, they can roleplay a Jedi Master if they wish. Things such as apprentices etc are no longer required, though they may be still utilised by roleplayers for the potential story plots. Although there's the risk of a 'master rush' I don't think it would be too bad since people only roleplay with thos who show good roleplaying skills themselves (so a newbiwe who attempts to rule the roost with his 'Jedi Master' powers will only be ignored) and the admins can step in if they're clearly breaking rules etc.

In the end, the main idea of this alternative roleplaying system is to:

1. Encourage individual thinking as opposed to group politics. In the end, it should be just you and your lightsaber (or other weapon) against the rest.

2. Make it eay to get into for newbies (a very important point - I made a ough estimate of how long it would take for someone to introduce themselves, sign up with a group, get a master and get roleplaying and the figure came out to approc. half a week or so - that's too long).

There's some ideas off the top of my head. they're not ground into stone or anything - just a few ideas to get the ball rolling. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 19th, 2001, 04:36:20 PM
I'll see if I can add or refine them a little later today. :) Does sound interesting.

Champion of the Force
Nov 20th, 2001, 01:15:18 AM
Removed FMH from the admin list in the FAQ.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 20th, 2001, 01:38:14 AM
I knew I was forgetting something. Not the best of days for me and using my brain well. Thanks.

Q
Nov 20th, 2001, 01:47:06 AM
Since I've been around much more lately, I've been considering coming back on an official basis. But before I do, I'd want to poll the posters and see what they think.

The main reason why I've been waiting so long is because of that whole "The admins/mods are buddy-buddy" issue. Somehow, I don't think silently coming back would be a good idea.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 20th, 2001, 01:50:03 AM
A third person who knows a little about vBulletin templates and the like would come in handy too. :) And it is after all, your software and hosting. :)