PDA

View Full Version : Some creative HTML limitations,

TheHolo.Net
Nov 18th, 2001, 05:13:07 AM
have been implemented to help avoid future problems. I have added the 'script' tag and the 'applet' tag to the list of censored words so that they cannot be used within posts or sigs.

It won't protect from IFRAME instances of scripts or applets containing possible malicious code, but it will make such things more difficult.

Q
Nov 18th, 2001, 09:38:54 AM
Seeing as how we've even gone so far as to make iFrames easy to use, and have yet to see a problem, I doubt there will be one anytime soon.

I'm also going to inquire about how to make fields to disable Avatars/HTML in individual posts.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 18th, 2001, 03:14:44 PM
I didn't much care for the way that Gue inserted a Java chat applet into a thread/reply. I know that Java applets actually crash some people's comps, including one of my older Win98 installs, and that was what lead me to implement the limitation.

Thanks for checking into those features. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 18th, 2001, 03:17:55 PM
after seeing your request at vBulletin.org, I want to try something to see if it works.

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td background="../layout/header_rightextend.gif" nowrap height="109">
<div align="center">../layout/header.gif</div>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>

TheHolo.Net
Nov 18th, 2001, 03:19:20 PM
The "code" vB code doesn't work properly, but a "PHP" vBcode tag does alow me to post HTML coding.

Q
Nov 20th, 2001, 01:22:02 AM
The "code" tag is simply for preserving text formatting. Good for posting ASCII art and not a whole lot else.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 20th, 2001, 01:36:44 AM
The code tag is used for HTML on the vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org boards by a great number of the posters. Of course they have HTML disabled there, so they really shouldn't even need to. :huh

Q
Nov 20th, 2001, 01:49:27 AM
Probably just to preserve the text formatting. Remember the announcement I made regarding the spacing in people's signatures (and gave the example of what normal spacing looks like)? I used the code tag there for that very same reason. Have a look at it and you'll see what I mean.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 20th, 2001, 01:51:21 AM
Yep, I get it now. :)