PDA

View Full Version : Interview Requests for my Episode II Book

JonathanLB
Nov 16th, 2001, 06:49:40 PM
Hey guys, I've been a bit of a slacker with regard to gathering all of my research for Episode II at an early point, but I'm still kind of starting it all up and prepared to begin the long process of research for this book, even while I am still writing several others, but this must be done too.

So, before this becomes stale and old and I don't really have the chance to capture the essence of fan opinions, I want to hear from you guys about all three trailers/teasers.

Opinions are welcome on all sides, including ones like, "I think the second trailer sucked and if the movie has that much romance I will be very unimpressed" or something. I am looking for the spectrum of views, if possible, and my job as an author is to present both sides to each issue, not just one, at least that is my intent with these types of books as I am not arguing any particular issue like pro or anti abortion, haha. That's not what it's about; it's about describing what really happened and what people really felt/feel.

Keep in mind that anyone participating must sign an interview release form in order for me to consider using your comments, otherwise I will not legally be able to do so.

I am going to draft a small document with several questions on it that anyone can answer, although you don't have to address them all. For instance, I would also like to know what you think about how Lucasfilm has handled the trailer releases and how you feel about the marketing campaign so far, that type of thing. I will make specific questions yet tonight and if anyone is interested in participating, I would be most grateful.

Participation will not guarantee that your quotes will appear in the book (I could not even guarantee that because you never know what an editor will tell you). Nevertheless, I may, for instance, gather a ton of commentary and only quote a few people, all the while still giving credit in my bibliography to the people whose comments I used in some form for the book.

For instance, if I had 15 people say a similar thing, such as that they were all mad about the largest trailer being available only to people who paid $30 for QuickTime Pro, then I might only quote one or two of those people, but I still might put ALL 15 of those in the bibliography like so: "Doe, John. Personal Interview. 16 Nov. 2001" or whatever.

So, if anyone is interested in participating you can e-mail me at Jonathan@jlbmedia.com or you can post here and I'll tell you when I get this form put together so I can begin gathering commentary. Any help is appreciated and all are welcome to respond no matter what your opinions are.

JMK
Nov 16th, 2001, 06:56:24 PM
Just let me know if you need my 2 cents.

JonathanLB
Nov 16th, 2001, 07:05:42 PM
No question about it. I'll make a post informing you when I have the interview document set up and I can e-mail it to you. You will have to fax the interview release to me or send it via snail mail, either way works just as well. It's the signature on that piece of paper that makes it necessary to receive it through one of those means, though.

That picture in your sig is awesome :D

ReaperFett
Nov 16th, 2001, 07:05:48 PM
general, count me in

:)

JMK
Nov 16th, 2001, 07:09:37 PM
Thanks, I plan to change it every so often...

ReaperFett
Nov 16th, 2001, 07:18:56 PM
oh wait, cant fax and mail costs shedloads. Sorry :(

And JMK, any spoilers and I castrate you :)

JMK
Nov 16th, 2001, 07:37:09 PM
Well then you'd better bring a chainsaw Reaper! :lol

If you've seen the trailers, then you won't get any spoilers. That's where I take all my images from. So let me know if you haven't seen them, and I'll use my better judgement from there. :)

ReaperFett
Nov 16th, 2001, 07:58:23 PM
if the trailers are anything like the TPM ones, Consider yourself castrated :)

JMK
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:16:32 PM
does that mean you haven't succumbed to the trailers? where do you get the willpower?

JonathanLB
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:45:07 PM
How could you not see the trailers?! lol. That is part of the whole experience. They don't spoil the film, just make you look forward to it more. :)

ReaperFett
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:46:36 PM
I have seen them, but considering that it showed too much of the kiss and DID have a major spoiler I hear, I might not see the next couple

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2001, 09:35:15 PM
Lucky for you there is only one more. As far as the spoiler I think I might know what he is talking about I think I brought it up under Trailer A but I covered in code I will not say what it is because it might give it way, all I will say it might not be a spoiler unless you watch it a lot. Now Jon if you need me let me know but between me and JMK all your going to get is glowing Reviews. You might want to head to theforce.net and post something there but I guess you would have to go to the non spoiler forum unless you want to risk getting spoiled. I'm just thinking you might want to get a few different reactions and there is a few over there who I am sure hated one of them. Now I could be wrong about this board there could be a few who will read your thread and have a different opinion than me and JMK.

darth_mcbain
Nov 16th, 2001, 10:15:18 PM
You can count me in...

BUFFJEDI
Nov 16th, 2001, 10:34:38 PM
well count me in BUT you know my 2cents worth is only worth about 1/2 a cent:(

JMK
Nov 16th, 2001, 10:37:06 PM
Dammit Buff, Give yourself more credit than that! :D

BUFFJEDI
Nov 16th, 2001, 10:45:33 PM
:crush ah thanx JMK :)

I'm just not much in the way of putting my thoughts into words on paper(or keyboard)so to speak.I know what I want to say And how to say it in person. But typing it out ALWAYS comes out wrong:(

JonathanLB
Nov 16th, 2001, 11:30:35 PM
Thanks guys...

At TFN, I visited the other day, there were actually people saying the lines are TERRIBLE, the acting is HORRIBLE, the film looks stupid and lame, and basically they have all realized that Lucas is going to disappoint us with every prequel so they have given up all hope. The prequels are just lame eye candy, no point to them and clearly no plots present at all. I mean, the corruption of the republic, the fall of the Jedi, Anakin's rise to power and all from grace, it's all just plotless crap.

Down with the prequels and down with Lucas. Star Wars sucks!

Haha, there. You just got your sample of TFN. No need to go there now. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2001, 11:58:20 PM
Well not all of them are that bad, but I think the problem is there are two groups at least according to some people on the board one is gushers the other is basher I thing they gave each other the names. Ask Darth he frequents there more than I do. I only go when the trailer goes out actually on the spoiler forum about 2/3 it seemed loved this last trailer and only had a few complaints but then there are those who will probably hate it before they even see it.

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2001, 07:45:50 AM
There are two bad wars. Bashers/gushers and EU bashers/supporters. 2nd one is hard to win, the Admins in OT are bashers :)

I dont think the acting was great in the one where Anakin says about being the greatest Jedi ever, sounded a bit lame. Nothing else really though

RHJediKnight
Nov 17th, 2001, 06:06:02 PM
If you think the TFN boards are bad, you guys should try the Star Wars board at IGN.com. It was always either "pro-TPM/Lucas is the man" vs. "anti-TPM/Luca$ sucks" there. But I was really surprised when Forbidden Love finally appeared, and both groups actually came together and were both very positive about it, for the most part. So I guess maybe it isn't as bad as the TFN boards.

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2001, 06:16:14 PM
or maybe that just shows people dont have as much varied opinion?

Main reason I go TF.N is Lit and Games, and nowhere beats that yet

JonathanLB
Nov 18th, 2001, 03:53:09 PM
"I dont think the acting was great in the one where Anakin says about being the greatest Jedi ever, sounded a bit lame. Nothing else really though"

I thought the acting was great throughout. That is a great line. The way he says it is more like in anguish and frustration than in confidence. He could have said it a different way, but this apparently is the way it is meant to be and it does work well.

As far as the basher/gusher thing, I don't think those are names unique to TFN. I think "gusher" is a bit of an incorrect term because not everyone on that "side" is "gushing" about TPM. The term is incorrect. It should be supporter/basher. That makes a lot more sense. The people who didn't like TPM are clearly bashers. It's not an offensive term, it just describes what types of fans they are (which is to say very poor ones too).

TFN is full of non-fans who don't like either ROTJ or TPM and are under the misguided impression that you can still be a STAR WARS fan while liking only HALF of Star Wars, which is in fact quite impossible. Their are too many idiots at TFN, but yes MOST people there, 90% of them, are still big supporters. It's just those few people who ruin it for everyone. The most outspoken.

darth_mcbain
Nov 18th, 2001, 06:17:57 PM
That's interesting, because that is exactly what I thought the first time I heard that line. The first time, I thought - man, that was supposed to be cool, but just sounded lame. The more I watched it though, and the more I think about it, I LOVE it. I agree with Jon, Anakin says it with anguish (and even a touch of malice, perhaps) in his voice, which belies the torment he must be undergoing in his trials. Great line!

ReaperFett
Nov 18th, 2001, 06:28:34 PM
you say malice, I say spoilt brat-esque badly acted :)

JonathanLB
Nov 19th, 2001, 01:05:33 AM
My first impression was basically, "why didn't he say it more confidently?" But then I heard it a few more times and I realized it was more of a sad type of utterance, like sometimes people will say something either on the verge of tears or just trying to hold back from becoming incredibly angry and raising their voice, and that is what Anakin sounds like with that quote.

Sorry, but clearly it is NOT bad acting otherwise Lucas could have easily told him to do it again. That's what Lucas wanted in that line and I have no doubt he told him exactly how it was to be said. If you disagree, well, you can become a movie director someday, but the acting is fine. If anything, blame the director if you don't like it :)

darth_mcbain
Nov 19th, 2001, 10:05:22 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
... it was more of a sad type of utterance, like sometimes people will say something either on the verge of tears or just trying to hold back from becoming incredibly angry and raising their voice ...

I couldn't have said it better... I feel like he is very angry and doesn't want to let it out... I can almost imagine his next lines being "I'll show them..."

JonathanLB
Nov 19th, 2001, 10:31:32 AM
Exactly! Yes, that is just the line I can see something after too.

There are a few ways to say that, but the one I most imagine is, "I'll show them" in the type of tone that is frustrated and angry. Not like, "Ha, I'll show THEM!" and not "I'll show them" in a matter-of-fact type of way either.

This is more like the "mercury is rising" / "hate is building up" / pent-up rage type of "I'll show them," haha. You feel like it is about ready to burst and if he kept on talking it would all of the sudden turn into mad shouting and pounding fists into walls, or more like lightsabers through them actually, haha.