PDA

View Full Version : SW EP2: Attack of the Geeks

Jedieb
Nov 16th, 2001, 06:22:21 PM
So I'm showing my wife the trailer on our computer and my 3 year old son ambles along. He sees Yoda on the screen and shouts; "Yoda!" Then proceeds to chant "Star Wars! Star Wars!" My face is beeming with pride, my wife rolls her eyes, a mixture of shame and suffering coming across her face. When the trailer finishes I spot a golden opportunity to further my son's training. I point to the title and read it alound; "Timothy look, Attack of the Clones!" Before he can repeat it my wife adds; "Attack of the Geeks!" So now my 3-year old has been walking around the house shouting; "Attack of the Geeks! Attack of the Geeks!" over and over and over. It's moments like these I wish I'd listened to my mother and run screaming from the alter.

Anyway, have any of you gotten a chance to share the trailers with casual fans or as my wife would put it, "normal people"? What have their reactions been?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2001, 06:44:26 PM
I shared with a couple members of my family including my nephew who is three also, now he loved it and wants to see it now. Everybody else seemed to enjoy it but a a few were surprised at the love story theme. I also noticed on Headline News when they showed the woman there was surprised and seemed to like it. Now wouldn't that be something if a lot of women go this time because of that angle, but of course some still might not go.

JMK
Nov 16th, 2001, 06:49:15 PM
My brother is away for the weekend, so he won't see it, but my girlfriend, strangely enough is really looking forward to this movie...not so strangely because of the romance...still it makes life much easier as far AOTC goes when girlfriends/wives are also looking forward to it.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2001, 06:53:38 PM
No question there, but it looks like Jedieb's wife is not buying it.

JMK
Nov 16th, 2001, 07:56:41 PM
Looks like he may have to employ the brainwash technique from Clockwork Orange! :lol

Jedieb
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:03:57 PM
Actually my wife likes Star Wars movies. But she loves calling me a geek even more. I'm not even going to get into what she calls you guys. ;) She liked the trailer, but it's just not something she'd go out her way to see. She's not like us. She's weird isn't she?

ReaperFett
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:05:23 PM
awww, she calls us names. Say hi from me :)

Jedieb
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:34:55 PM
Actually she's never said anything harsher than "geeks" or "nerds." And that's usually only after I've ignored dozens of her requests to do the dishes because I'm too busy posting. You guys get off easy, she calls me much worse.

JMK
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:39:37 PM
Me?? A nerd? you just tell her that I am a Jedi Master, and not, as she so refers to us...a geek. or nerd. sheesh. We basement dwelling Jedi never get any respect!

ReaperFett
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:45:30 PM
Im far too pathetic and geeky to be a nerd I'll have you know!

:)

Jedieb
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:55:14 PM
Let me get this down, cuz I want to make sure I get it right. I'm to tell her you're not nerds because you're "pathetic", "geeky", "basement dwelling Jedi" "Masters." HA! That'll put her in her place!

"HEY HONEY! I TOLD YOU THESE GUYS WE'RE COOL! IN YOUR FACE SWEETHEART! NOW WHY DON'T YOU GO ON ONE OF YOUR 'PARENTING' OR 'DENISE AUSTIN WORKOUT' BOARDS AND TELL THEM YOUR HUSBAND HANGS OUT WITH JEDI MASTERS!"

She'll have no comeback for that one! Man WE are SOOO COOOLLL!!!

ReaperFett
Nov 16th, 2001, 08:57:50 PM
I think he is being sarcastic

:)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2001, 09:18:40 PM
I think so and you can tell her I am no basement dweller I am the real deal;) I am not sure if she would believe that one though.

ReaperFett
Nov 16th, 2001, 09:26:21 PM
I would say I'm not a geek, but that's a lie :)

Jedieb
Nov 16th, 2001, 09:43:28 PM
boys, sometimes I think she doubts I'M the real deal. If not for my legendary love making skills I would have been dumped years ago. Or she could just be terrified that she'd unwittingly end up with a Star Trek geek if she tries to trade up. I'll let you decide.

JMK
Nov 16th, 2001, 09:57:22 PM
Yeah yeah, the lovemaking skills are fine and dandy, but let's get real, the reason our wives/ gf's stay with us is simply due to the Jedi mind trick! :lol

BUFFJEDI
Nov 16th, 2001, 10:20:02 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol

This has to be the funniest thread I have seen In a long time:lol :lol

Btw : EB(s) when she calls us geeks and such,she means everyone else like Jmk,mastercarr,reaperfett those guys;) NOT ME right:smokin

BUFFJEDI
Nov 16th, 2001, 10:23:56 PM
OT: Jedieb(s) or should I say Stud the jedi,
do you take private messages? I have a ? I want to ask you.

Jedieb
Nov 16th, 2001, 10:43:37 PM
I NEVER mention you buff! I'm far too insecure to describe one as buff as you to my wife. Far too insecure... :(

btw: PM me at will. It's what I'm here for.

BUFFJEDI
Nov 16th, 2001, 10:53:19 PM
:lol :lol :lol

darth_mcbain
Nov 17th, 2001, 07:48:08 PM
I watched it with my wife on E! news. She was definitely into it and was really excited. She was also really into TPM last year. When we first met, she had of course seen the movies, but didn't think they were that special. Since then, she's really gotten into them, which I think is just awesome...

That said, when I told her that after she went to bed, I got up and watched it about a dozen times and went through it frame by frame, then I got a slight eye-roll... :rolleyes

darth_mcbain
Nov 20th, 2001, 10:59:33 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this - I guess this thread is as good as any...

I was shopping the other day with my wife and we had to pick up some wrapping paper for Christmas. As we walked down the aisle, I of course had to pick up a crimson colored roll, flip it up with a lightsabre sound, and say "Luke, I am your father..." I got a slight laugh, but also got the look... :rolleyes

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has done that... :lol

BUFFJEDI
Nov 20th, 2001, 04:29:29 PM
you are not alone big guy:p I used to get material on cardboard tube rolls and I was always using them as lightsabers. I would call my employees my young Padawans.As I would slice them in half.the list goes on for the SW quoting's I do.

darth_mcbain
Nov 20th, 2001, 04:54:51 PM
Yeah - I had a good one the other day at work... Someone was explaining how a system worked to someone who's interpretation of it was different, but ultimately both were correct - just different interpretations... I followed up his explanation with "So what you were saying was true - from a certain point of view..." I got a kind of strange look, so I don't know if he got it or not. :)

I had another one which was pretty funny. A few years back, I had a problem with my chimney and one evening tons of smoke came back into my place. Once I had cleared most of the smoke out so at least I could see and breath, I ran to my closet and whipped out my flashlight. With the smoke in the room, the beam made quite a nice lightsaber - hey, might as well salvage a bad situation and have some fun... :lol

BUFFJEDI
Nov 20th, 2001, 05:14:53 PM
:lol :lol

Jedieb
Nov 20th, 2001, 05:52:35 PM
You're both nuts! ;)

Today my 3-day pass came in the mail. I showed it to my wife and she called out;
"Geeks of the World unite!" She then put the pass around her neck and said; "Hi, my number's 2023!" She then looked at my 7 month old daughter and said; "I'm so sorry sweetie." Sorry her dad is a SW geek. My wife's funny like that. :mad

darth_mcbain
Nov 20th, 2001, 05:55:49 PM
3-day pass?

Jedieb
Nov 20th, 2001, 05:59:39 PM
The 3-day pass for Star Wars Celebration 2 in Indy. She goosed me into thinking the pass was numbered. Again, she's funny that way. >(

darth_mcbain
Nov 20th, 2001, 06:01:56 PM
Ahhh... Is there a deadline for getting passes or can you get them later on closer to the actual day? I have friends who live not too far from Indy - would definitely be fun to go, although I don't know what will be going on for me then and if I'll be able to swing it...

Jedieb
Nov 20th, 2001, 06:12:14 PM
I haven't heard anything about a deadline. The passes are also being sold for 1, maybe even 2 days. The Convention center in Indy is huge so I wouldn't be surprised if they were still able to sell passes at the convention. It's the worth time to go over to the Wizards' site and check out their convention site. Much of it still isn't active yet, but you may pick up some neat info.

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2001, 10:02:08 AM
Dang, I gotta get on the ball.:zzz can't let jedieb(s) have all the fun:D

darth_mcbain
Nov 21st, 2001, 12:37:49 PM
On the subject of sci-fi conventions - have any of you seen that SNL sketch with William Shatner at a Star Trek convention?

Basically, he's standing up in front of a bunch of Trekkies who are hanging on his every word and he starts ripping on them... He's like "Look people, I just want to say one thing - GET A LIFE, OK! It was just a TV SHOW!!!"

That would be pretty funny if Mark Hamill showed up at this one and lost it... :lol

Jedieb
Nov 21st, 2001, 01:16:36 PM
That was one of the FUNNIEST skits I've ever seen on SNL. I remember seeing it in college with some friends and we practically fell to the floor laughing.

"You there, have you ever even kissed a girl?"

Then he goes on and on about them taking a show he did as a lark and turning into a collosal waste of time. You could hear Trekkie hearts breaking all over the world. I think they also had that great Enterprise as a revolving restuarant skit on that episode. With Dana Carvey doing a hilarious Kahn.
If I'm not mistaken, I think Shatner wrote a book called Get A Life about the skit and the whole Trekkie experience. Kirk knows how to milk something for all its worth doesn't he?

ReaperFett
Nov 21st, 2001, 02:39:40 PM
I think hes a real disrepectful piece of c**p, and should remember they are the reason he lives so well

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2001, 03:09:16 PM
I thought the Skit was VERY funny and I'm sure it was ment in good humor.AS for the book I never read it (no Pictures) but from reaper's post it must be set agian the die hard star trek fans.So I would say that that would be totally direspectful for WS to write considering if it wasnt for the fans , How could he Afford those great TUoPEE'S(spell check).

IT seems REAPER is, REally A Die hard Star Trek fan:lol :lol :lol :lol

ReaperFett
Nov 21st, 2001, 03:17:13 PM
hang on, Im not a Trek fan! I only like two of the films, and barely! :)

JMK
Nov 21st, 2001, 05:53:51 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2001, 06:33:17 PM
yeah..snicker,snicker.. point...... laugh:lol

and hopes Reaper doesn't notice my other edited post:D

ReaperFett
Nov 21st, 2001, 06:39:17 PM
carry on Buff, and youll need to change your name to Deadjedi :)

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2001, 06:57:57 PM
:eek !!!!!!!!!!!!

:idea UH ,you know MR.Reaper sir, JMK Made me do it.yeah thats right JMK:)

Jedieb
Nov 21st, 2001, 09:46:40 PM
I don't know how I'd feel if some SW actor said that to me at SW Celebration 2, but the Trek fans in that skit were BEGGING to be mocked! It was a really funny skit, and I thought Shatner was great in it. He also ragged on himself in a TJ Hooker skit. Ah... TJ Hooker, the cultural nexus of ABC's 80's lineup!

I may check that book out one day just to see what it's about. It'd be interesting to see Shatner's fan experiences.

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2001, 05:29:05 AM
Ive heard hundreds of jokes about his personal life, still wouldnt tell them him, as I know a little thing called dignity