PDA

View Full Version : Should we define where Ep. 2 topics go? (Everyone Please Read)

Champion of the Force
Nov 16th, 2001, 03:04:10 AM
We had a quick discussion about this not too long ago, but with more SW trailers being released I was wondering whether or not we should post a thread or announcement regarding the placement of topics related to Episode II?

Here's my impressions of it all:

1. The only Ep. 2 threads posted in the Boxoffice forum should be ones concerning boxoffice issues.

2. Any and all Ep. 2 threads outside of issues relating to Boxoffice should be posted in the SW Films forum.

Does this sound fair? Obviously it will be impossible to cover every possible thread, but I think it would be a good start.

In addition to this, I'd like to know what the Roleplaying staff think of Ep. II topics being posted in OOC? I moved a topic (posted by De'Ville) a few days ago. I personally think we should be encouraging people to use the already established forums for news related to the latest SW film to keep everything in the appropriate place, rather than let the posters develop a habit of posting information in whatever forum they're in (a terrible habit that developed in the RPF) and letting things spread all over the board.

PS. This is the beauty of the vB 'Move' panel - a mod/admin can move a thread and leave a link in the original forum leading to the moved thread. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 16th, 2001, 03:08:58 AM
I am in agreement with your opinions here. The redirects make it a an almost beautiful thing, casuing much less confusion. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2001, 03:20:49 AM
I agree with you too we probably need to make an announcement because the oldies mainly Jonathan and Darth23 are becoming guilty of it lately (I guess they don't ventury too much into the Star Wars films forum) and when the newbies start posting this could become a problem.

Champion of the Force
Nov 16th, 2001, 03:33:56 AM
I agree. I think it mainly stems from habits developed over the past 2 years or so which have resulted in veryone posting everything in the one forum. We used to just turn a blind eye to it since traffic was minimal and it would only be confusing to try and move threads with posting levels so down.

PS. I've deleted our comments in Jon's trailer thread in regards to its movement. I try to avoid discussion of mod activities out in the open if at all possible lest the posters think there's a disagreemtn brewing or something. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2001, 03:39:26 AM
No problem I was mostly poking fun at you not wanting to look at it but its probably best to delete them they sure didn't add anything to the discussion. And I understand why someone might wonder if there was might disagreements amoung us. So how are you going to do this do you want one of us to post a message in the Box office forum spelling out guidelines? That seems to be the best approach that way none of the regulars do it and anybody new to the board will follow them.

Champion of the Force
Nov 16th, 2001, 03:51:02 AM
I'd like to wait and see what Jedieb or some other mods might say - they may have other ideas to suggest.

As for handling this, we could either just post an announcement (currently it's about the Jedi default theme change), or we could post a thread in each of the forums involved (Boxoffice, Films and OOC) and make them sticky.

I'm thinking the latter might be a better approach, as it would allow people to respond and make their own comments (Announcements don't allow for user feedback - they're only static).

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2001, 12:53:09 PM
I agree with you I think the latter is better because like you said they can post in it.

Jedieb
Nov 16th, 2001, 01:57:54 PM
I think those guidelines are great. The redirect function is pretty sweet. It lets the poster whose thread has been moved know where his thread has gone. It may also nudge him/her to visit other forums instead of posting everything SW related in the same forum over and over again. It will take some getting use to but eventually everyone will get the hang of it and we'll have less and less threads to move around.

Champion of the Force
Nov 16th, 2001, 09:33:40 PM
Regarding how we should go about it, I'm actually thinking of using the 'Announcement' feature now, since it would be visible in ALL forums so anyone from anywhere would be able to see it (save having to repost multiple threads in the forums).

I could also post a link to the Communcations forum for people who want to to discuss this proposal, so that way people can still have a say. It might also be beneficial to have all comments in the one location rather than split up throughout the forums.

Does that sound like a good plan? If so I'll get around to doing it a bit later. :)

Jedieb
Nov 16th, 2001, 11:10:01 PM
Sounds good to me. :)

Champion of the Force
Nov 16th, 2001, 11:12:21 PM
Done. :)

Please let me know if it needs rewording or if something needs to be added.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2001, 11:59:07 PM
Looks good to me.

Champion of the Force
Nov 17th, 2001, 03:45:45 AM
With the announcement now up, I would suggest we take action from now on with Ep. 2 threads if/when they get posted in the wrong place - I've just moved Jon's 'Can't wait til Feb 2002' thread.

It should be relatively straightforward - if it's got nothing to do with Ep. 2's boxoffice, it goes into SW Films. The posters should quickly adapt. :)