PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the reason the rest of the world gets AOTC so soon?

ReaperFett
Nov 15th, 2001, 04:50:18 AM
This is from TF.N:

World Cup Influences AOTC Release Dates?
Wed, Nov 14, 01 11:35:08 PM EST

While delighted, many of us so-called 'rest of the world' fans (i.e., not living in North America), have been wondering why we are getting AOTC within a day or two of the US (you can see the official release dates by clicking here). And North American fans have been wondering why AOTC is being released a week earlier than expected. Well, Sompeetalay from the Belgian Star Wars Fan Club may be onto something:
I was wondering if the release dates of some countries have been influenced by the World Cup football in Japan/Korea in 2002 (May 31 - June 30). As you know, football (or soccer as it is known in the US) is the most popular sport in Europe and South America. Although I like football a lot (and Belgium will be at the World Cup!), we are lucky to get Episode II one day after the US release.
Sompeetalay has a point. Countries have been known to come to a standstill when their teams are playing. In the UK, television viewing soars while cinema attendance drops. Many distributors delay their blockbuster releases and opt for romantic comedies, hoping that those not into football, a large percentage of which are female, will venture to the cinemas for an alternative.
Given that Lucasfilm decided to release AOTC earlier around the rest of the world, there was no way they could release the film in June during the World Cup, and hope to make the kind of box office a Star Wars film demands. May 22nd wouldn't have worked, as this would have given just one weekend's box office before the start of the event. And then we come to Thursday, May 16th, 2002; exactly 2 weeks before the World Cup starts on Thursday, May 30th, 2002.

So it looks like the World Cup may have contributed to the scheduling of the release dates, and done Star Wars fans the world over a HUGE favour. God bless football (soccer).

I love football even more now :)

BUFFJEDI
Nov 15th, 2001, 06:00:46 PM
Good piece of reporting there Reaper.It would take the WORLDS greatest sport to redirect Star wars.Lets all see if Italy can do it this go round.

:)

ReaperFett
Nov 15th, 2001, 06:18:12 PM
Its between Italy, England and Argentina for me

BUFFJEDI
Nov 15th, 2001, 07:04:07 PM
I havnt kept up with Qulifying (or anything)lately how does Italy look? how does brazil look.

Btw.I should know this BUT... if you play for a club team in like lets say England but yet you are Irish, can you play for England?(hope that amde sense..

ReaperFett
Nov 15th, 2001, 07:08:27 PM
Italy won their group. Brazil had to win last night to qualify. They are awful right now

And its your nationality that matters

BUFFJEDI
Nov 15th, 2001, 07:19:33 PM
that was fast Thanx:)

Wow I couldnt imagine a world cup without Brazil:( after they and Italy have pretty much owned the cup.Pele must be thinking of doing a Jordan:D

Not to bug you AGIAN but you live in England (right ?) do you ever go and see any of the club matches?and If so do you watch any MLS and if so how would you rate Our Soccer to your Futbal.I always have (and will ) think we will never have the same talent level over here no matter how many international players the MlS gets. (just when you gat a chance) It's just a debate I have with a player of mine.He's so Pro USA soccer.

ReaperFett
Nov 15th, 2001, 07:24:41 PM
I dont go, but I watch shedloads on TV

Seen bits of MLS. Overall, it isnt a strong league. However, it will grow, its still early. And you get some great players. Old, but great.

BUFFJEDI
Nov 15th, 2001, 07:30:59 PM
Cool ,thanx

ReaperFett
Nov 15th, 2001, 07:33:43 PM
np :)

Darth23
Nov 15th, 2001, 07:37:23 PM
That article still doesn't explain why TPM doesnt' come out on its usual Wednesday.

Nice sig, Reap.

ReaperFett
Nov 15th, 2001, 07:57:06 PM

Maybe Lucas does it just to give fans something to talk about :)

JonathanLB
Nov 16th, 2001, 03:41:09 AM
Don't you mean AOTC, not TPM? Hehe.

The world's greatest sport?! HAHAHA. The world's most boring sport.

I love football, actually. REAL football. I just hate soccer. :)

That wasn't the reason either, that's really a stupid article. Nobody would delay anything for a sport as boring as soccer.

Champion of the Force
Nov 16th, 2001, 03:55:59 AM
That wasn't the reason either, that's really a stupid article. Nobody would delay anything for a sport as boring as soccer.
We bow to your greater wisdom Jon. :lol

Seriously, just because you find it boring isn't a reason to just write it off as a possible factor in the decision to release Ep. II at its planned date.

As for what's REAL football, that's easy. AFL all the way! :p

PS. AFL is Australian football for those who don't know. :)

JonathanLB
Nov 16th, 2001, 04:24:26 AM
Wow, I didn't realize the Australians play sports -- good for you guys! :lol

Haha, just kidding with you :smokin

ReaperFett
Nov 16th, 2001, 06:11:34 AM
Jon, we had this argument before, so shush :)

And besides, if you think they would put it on during a world cup(not to Americans: The World Cup has countires from round the world. Bizzare eh? :)), you need to get your head checked out :)