PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what's up with the SWFans homepage?

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 07:28:33 PM
http://www.swfans.net

I just checked this myself and nothing's happening.

Posts on the RPF have suggested the homepage has been down for as long as 3 weeks.

Anyone know what's up with it?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 07:30:51 PM
I too have noticed that it hasn't been available for a while, but I have no clue as to what could be happening. The length of the downtime is one reason I did not include a link to it in the Jedi style.

Sanis Prent
Nov 12th, 2001, 10:19:56 PM
I tried about 2 weeks ago and had no problems...weird :huh

Champion of the Force
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:49:33 AM
:: bump ::

Over 2 months on, and still no sign of SWFans.Net.

Do we intend to keep our name (SWFans.Net Forums) if this persists or will we break out on our own with another name (SWForums.Net)?

As far as I can see, the only thing really holding us back with the latter is that all the banners and whatnot will have to be edited and changed to reflect the new title.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:51:38 AM
I dunno, I rather prefer SWFans.Net and was considering buying up the domain name for us when Jason's license on it expires. SWFans.Net is just kind of a sentimental thing for me at least.

Champion of the Force
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:57:30 AM
Any idea on when his licence expires?

I also like the name but on the other hand I discovered not too long ago on TFN the existence of another site titled Star Wars Fans (or something similar) so I wouldn't be too bothered if we did change our name to be different.

A number of posters have started calling us SWForums when referring to the board anyway, so if any change was to occur I doubt there will be any concerns from the poster end at least.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:58:40 AM
From my look up on Internic yesterday the license expires in June.

Champion of the Force
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:09:57 PM
Pity that. Ideally if a domain name change or any other change regarding the site was to occur it would be done before Ep. 2 was released, since it would enable you to keep everything in place and build up a following behind the name/domain without switching in midstream afterwards.

:: shrugs ::

I dunno. I like the name 'SWForums', especially considering the whole site is based around a message board. :)

TheHolo.Net
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:21:44 PM
I was thinking that both domain names could be ours. :)

swforums.net and swfans.net

Champion of the Force
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:26:29 PM
So would swfans.net simply serve as a re-route to swforums.net, or would it serve as a proper homepage of sorts?

TheHolo.Net
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:32:02 PM
I was thinking a reroute to our portal, but we could go to the extreme of craeting a homepage if we decide to. :)

Champion of the Force
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:36:31 PM
A proper homepage will be a hard thing to maintain - our portal page serves as a nice 'cheat' in that it looks like a normal homepage but draws all its info from the forums. :)

Which brings us back to my initial question - SWFans.Net Forums or SWForums.Net? :p

Nupraptor
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:57:00 AM
Personally, I like the idea of changing it to SWForums. There seems to be a lot of confusion whenever I refer to this board at the vB forum. I've gotten several messages like "Hey, man... your main page (www.swfans.net) is down."

On the other hand, it's a well-established name which may draw people. I'm for keeping it as "SWFans.net Forums", but I don't want that to be a deciding factor.

Champion of the Force
Jan 27th, 2002, 08:10:03 PM
Personally, I like the idea of changing it to SWForums.

I'm personally for keeping it as "SWFans.net Forums".
Make up your mind. :p

Nupraptor
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:48:49 AM
Er, allow me to rephrase (I tend to sound redundant sometimes).

What I meant is this: I'd like to change it to SWForums, but I think it's best to keep it as-is because it's a well established name.