PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 04:09:38 PM
I found a method to make the Jedi style the "Default" style, easily, and without losing any of the other styles. The question and facts are this;

Should I make the "Jedi" style the default style? (The one users first see when they load these forums for the first time.)

The Jedi style is one of only 5 of our 17 styles that appears correctly in all browser versions, the others being; "Text - Based" Light & Dark, "vBulletin Standard", and "Basic" Light & Dark.

Currently, Netscape, versions previous to 6.x, tear up the table border designs that I created for the current "Default/Star Wars" style set, and look horrible. I would prefer to present first time visitors to this board with a style that ins't browser specific, and appears correctly under all that they may be using, but is more graphically pleasing to the eye, than the Text-Based, vBulletin Standard, or Basic sets.

I'd like to hear the staff's thoughts on this.

If you haven't yet seen the "Jedi" style, you can follow the Style link under my user name, click the link at the bottom of the forums that has the green holycron cube, or go into your control panel options and select it in the style set drop down list.

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 05:32:05 PM
Definitely. It is (IMHO) the best looking of all the themes and would serve as a great introduction to first time visitors.

The only gripe I would have about it is the placement of the username and info table in the threads. By having it on the right hand side it is the only one which displays the information that way (the others have it on the left side). I would recommend switching it to the other side so it fits in with the other themes.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 06:19:47 PM
I have made the change. Be prepared to hear people ask WTF is going on when their "Default" view becomes the "Jedi" style set, which is effective as of now.

I renamed the old default to "Star Wars (SWFans.Net Original)" and Jedi to "Jedi (Default)".

I am now going to go through and fix the style selection tables/links in the sets to reflect these changes.

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 06:30:36 PM
It might pay to use the 'Announcement' feature to inform users - something like 'Announcement: DEFAULT STYLE CHANGED (All Read).

I can go do that whilst you're fixing up the other stuff. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 06:32:34 PM
:)

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 06:39:03 PM
Done. Let me know if the wording is incorrect or needs to be altered. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 06:44:51 PM
Looks great, thanks. :)

Pierce Tondry
Nov 13th, 2001, 03:08:11 PM
I have a minor gripe with this.

*Waits for people to get over the shock of his appearance.* :)

When I load the page, it takes a horribly long time now. Some people with less capable computers may not be able to. Although things do look nice, you may want to reconsider this action and reset the Default to something less graphic-heavy.

But that's just my opinion.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2001, 03:59:21 PM
I find that very odd considering the total byte size of the graphics involved is actually almost the same as the original Default scheme.

Most effects are done with table colors, not graphics.

EDIT: I have noticed that yesterday and today, the board appears to be running a little slower than usual, probably a host issue. Another thing about the new scheme that may make it appear a little slower is the Javascript i used to "preload" the mouseover graphics. Those graphics that preload are no more that 15 KB total between them all, I think it may even be less than that actually.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 13th, 2001, 04:13:54 PM
In particular, the spinning holocrons seem to be what's holding me up. For some reason, they are always the last to load for me. It could still be a hosting issue, though.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2001, 04:17:22 PM
Thanks for the detail. I can look into optomizing them a little further, once I am back on my normal PC. :)

Champion of the Force
Nov 13th, 2001, 04:44:25 PM
Perhaps you could use that Rebel symbol in the banner to denote unread threads/forums (shrunk down of course)?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2001, 05:18:47 PM
I originally did try that, but it lost so much clarity when shrunk that I scrapped the idea. I may fiddle some more and see what happens. I was able to trim 2 KB off the holocron for now.

Champion of the Force
Nov 13th, 2001, 06:39:31 PM
... the spinning holocrons
So THAT is what they were :). I thought they were some sort of green Rubix cube or something. :lol

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2001, 06:42:09 PM
:lol

With a little touch up, I was able to shrink the black and gold Jedi symbol down to the right size and am pleased with how it looks. I have replaced the holocron and saved in total 4.5 KB.

Champion of the Force
Nov 13th, 2001, 06:45:05 PM
:: applies Jedi theme ::

That looks better. :)

All you've got to do now is change the icon in the Style options at the bottom of all the other theme pages.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2001, 06:52:10 PM
I did. =/

Champion of the Force
Nov 13th, 2001, 07:28:09 PM
Sorry - had to do a super refresh to see it. :verymad

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2001, 07:34:06 PM
I figured so, I already scrambled around and made sure that I had done it, and I had. :)

Switches the green announce icon amd moved icons to grey and black ones to match colors.

Champion of the Force
Nov 13th, 2001, 07:49:50 PM
Ummm Ogre, is the top title of the thread meant to look like this (see attachment)?

It looks a bit weird IMHO, like it's not aligned properly.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2001, 08:28:55 PM
I have been fiddling with that alignment. It looks good centered when there isn't a new post indicator there, but when there is it looks like that. :\

Champion of the Force
Nov 14th, 2001, 01:48:23 AM
It looks ok now though.

BTW, is there anyway to make the background behind the 'You have successfully posted ...' (the message you get after posting) gray as opposed to brown? It's hard to read with the brown background (of course 99% of posters probably won't read it, but I think it would look nicer at least :)).

TheHolo.Net
Nov 14th, 2001, 01:53:25 AM
I may be able to change the body statment in the redirection templates so that it is a different color, and not the default pulled from the replacement variables. It will probably be a little tricky figuring out which one exactly, probably the standard one.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 14th, 2001, 02:18:18 AM
There we go, all fixed and consistant with the rest of the style. :)

Champion of the Force
Nov 14th, 2001, 02:22:28 AM
Let's see ...

:: posts ::

Champion of the Force
Nov 14th, 2001, 02:23:43 AM
Sweet. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 14th, 2001, 02:25:21 AM
The brown had been bugging me some too. I just didn't feel motivated to do anything about it until you mentioned it. :D Thanks.