PDA

View Full Version : McGwire To Hang it Up

darth_mcbain
Nov 12th, 2001, 11:21:11 AM
Baseball is losing one of its best in recent times... Mark McGwire is stepping down. I for one will miss him - I think that he had a lot to do with bringing baseball back and making it more popular. McGwire captured everyone's attention as he broke Maris' record. I think he stepped down with class though... So Long, Mark - thanks for some exciting games...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/2001/11/11/mcgwire_retires_ap/

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 12th, 2001, 02:33:08 PM
He did have a great run and he will be missed.

Jedieb
Nov 12th, 2001, 03:25:09 PM
I saw the announcement in the paper this morning. :( I was really hoping he'd give his knee another opportunity to rehab. You have to admire his class. He could have easily come back and made another $15M this season, but he felt he couldn't EARN that money so he walked away. I was hoping he would have played until his early 40's and made a run at 700 HR's. He's had an amazing career will a first ballot hall of famer. I'll miss big Mac. :( :(

darth_mcbain
Nov 12th, 2001, 03:43:50 PM
Amen to that, EB. He showed immense class by stepping down when he didn't feel he was earning his keep. So many guys out there can barely tie their shoelaces properly, yet are getting paid more money per year than I'll ever see in my lifetime. Hopefully his will be an example to others that you have to earn your place in a starting lineup and you have to earn the salary that you are getting paid.

And yeah, first ballot hall of famer for sure.

Figrin D'an
Nov 12th, 2001, 04:06:14 PM
The other interesting note to this story is not only is McGwire showing some class by stepping away because he feels he wouldn't earn his salary, but he is also committed to the Cardinals getting better as a team. He is actively attempting to recruit Jason Giambi as his replacement at first base, showing that really cares about the future of the team. If you're a Cardinals fan, you have to like that 'taking one for the team' attitude. McGwire is one of the greatest players of the modern era, and he will be missed, but if he can woo Giambi to St. Louis to take his place, I think the Cardinals fans will be willing to forgive him for hanging it up. ;)

Get your tickets now for the Hall of Fame inductions in 2006. Gwynn, Ripken and McGwire... what an induction class (cause you know that all three of them will be first ballot inductees).

BUFFJEDI
Nov 12th, 2001, 04:44:44 PM
:rollin

JMK
Nov 12th, 2001, 06:08:32 PM
I'll miss his class as well. I'll also miss that effortless swing, those monstrous forearms smashing hapless pitchers balls 450 feet, and the positive presence he brought everywhere...

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 12th, 2001, 06:12:34 PM
Yes at least he knew when to hang them up some players keep playing even though they are well past their prime. And man that 2006 ceremony will be something.

Jedieb
Nov 12th, 2001, 10:00:01 PM
I hadn't even thought about the Hall of Fame ceremony. That would have to be one of the best Hall of Fame classes ever. Add in a repentant Pete Rose and you've got something to tape with your VCR.