PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous Account (RP Utility idea)

Sanis Prent
Nov 11th, 2001, 11:30:45 PM
Something I think that might be a useful idea is an anonymous roleplay account that everybody can use when necessary in their RPs. What I mean is that sometime somebody might be hiding their force signature...traveling incognito, or maybe hired some faceless mercs. Most RPers get the idea and and respect the use of such secrecy. However some "miraculously discover" these things when they really shouldn't be able to. Its vexing for those who want to carry things out in secret, and really hurts an aspect of RP in my opinion.

To fix this, would people be interested in a "hidden" account that everybody would be able to use, to post incognito under these circumstances?

Any discussion on the matter is welcome...just testing the waters.

Severen Morkonis
Nov 11th, 2001, 11:45:38 PM
Actrally not a bad idea......

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 12th, 2001, 01:10:09 AM
I think its a good idea, if it can be implemented properly. You'd have to make at least two accounts...or maybe not. But I was thinking a female and a male account. ...It's another bad idea of mine, isn't it. :cry

Gerald Tarrant
Nov 12th, 2001, 01:52:22 AM
And how would you prevent people from changing the password to the account?

Jyener Celchu
Nov 12th, 2001, 10:26:19 AM
It's a good idea. It would fix that problem of people travelling somewhere secretively or say, carrying out a mission in the middle of nowhere that no one know is supposed to know about for a long time.

Nathanial K'cansce
Nov 12th, 2001, 11:29:46 AM
Good idea. Only problems I see with it are, as Gerald said, someone does have the possiblilty to change the password. As in, changing the user e-mail to their own e-mail and then switching passwords. Also, the anynomous name could be abused in that someone could post with it in one of the other forums possibly degrading a poster or telling them what they truly think of them, and not having to deal with repercusions (unless IP chekcs are implimented but that has gone sour in the past as well). If it is made, some set rules such as "can only be used in the roleplaying forums that is the OOC forum" and maybe an Admin could make it so that the information for the name cn't be changed easily, or at all.

Just some thoughts.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 12:51:43 PM
Originally posted by Gerald Tarrant
And how would you prevent people from changing the password to the account? I could change the email of the account quite easily in that instance.

Gerald Tarrant
Nov 12th, 2001, 01:04:30 PM
Snack brought up a good point: A person could easily use the account to make anonymous OOC posts. And while it could be determined who it was, the deed has still been done.

Also, what's the difference between one Anonymous account which everyone can use, and just allowing people to post without registering?

Laran Katern
Nov 12th, 2001, 02:15:17 PM
Or if more then one person was using the account at the same time? I think it is a good idea, I just don't think it's really feasible. Why not either just post while not registering (which has already been mentioned), or make a sock puppet account solely for that RP ?

Alpha
Nov 13th, 2001, 09:02:52 PM
The idea sounds good. If we could iron out these small probs...