PDA

View Full Version : I am considering...

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2001, 07:26:02 PM
...moving the Roleplaying Archive forum, and making it a subforum of the regular Roleplaying forum. It'll clear a little of the clutter on the fron page and make the main forum listing a little shorter, but still be accessable from there because of the subforum hack I added, that lists them under the forum name they reside in. Thoughts?

Champion of the Force
Nov 8th, 2001, 08:51:24 PM
Do we even need the archive?

We already established back when we first moved that we probably wouldn't be adding anything to it anymore, and when we discussed other ideas we couldn't come up with any alternatives on its use.

I would suggest having a discussion amongst the roleplayers as to whether it's really necessary to maintain an archive anymore now that we have a search feature that actually works and no 20 page limit (the 2 major factors on ezboard that led to the creation of an archive in the first place).

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2001, 08:55:32 PM
That is a good idea. Perhaps we can check with them on the possibility of just merging those topics back into the regular RolePlaying Forom.

Goes to start a topic

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 07:23:51 PM
I think we can safely say that no one would be bothered if we remove the archive. I've just checked the thread and it's been 3 days since the last on-topic reply - all of which are in support (everything else since then has been about Miss De'Ville crying :p).

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 07:26:49 PM
I have already moved the topics and am currently going through the long and slow process of reindexing the search information. Once the reindex is done, or if you would like to, go ahead and remove the Archive forum. The topics have been safely moved to the Role Playing forum, which I already verified. :)

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 07:31:00 PM
Hehehe - wouldn't look good if we mislaid 20,000 posts would it? :)

I'll remove the forum shortly - I'll also post in the thread about the decision.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 07:33:49 PM
Originally posted by Davwj
Hehehe - wouldn't look good if we mislaid 20,000 posts would it? :) I don't even want to try and imagine how pissed off people would be if that had happened. One reason I was extremely careful while moving them.

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 07:43:49 PM
We would just say that they were moved properly - they just weren't looking hard enough. :p

Anyways, all done. Next mission - renaming the Storytelling forum. :D

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 07:56:31 PM
Originally posted by Davwj
Next mission - renaming the Storytelling forum. :D I wasn't aware that was on the agenda. :p

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 08:10:40 PM
It is now. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 08:12:45 PM
Oh? :huh

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 08:21:40 PM
:lol

Not a major concern, it's just that the title 'Stoytelling' isn't really in line with the contents of the forum anymore now that challenges and anything else that is closed is allowed. :)

So I suggest a new name of:

Star Wars Roleplaying (Closed Threads only in here - please use other forum for open threads else you get a spanking)

:D

Ok, maybe just Star Wars Roleplaying (Closed Roleplays) would suffice. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 08:30:55 PM
I don't like the idea of having two forums with the same name. And one that doesn't include room for the occasional fanfic is not good either.

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 08:36:07 PM
True, but having a title of 'Storytelling' isn't good considering the forum is open to any and all types of closed roleplays (admittedly most threads within are of the 'story-based' nature, but the definition of what constitutes a 'storytelling' RPG is as ambiguous as anything).

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 08:39:22 PM
Just because it may be a challenge, doesn't automatically mean it doesn't tell a story.

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 08:42:59 PM
But it doesn't necessarily mean it does either :). A lot of challenges in fact are usually of the 'I'm bored - someone fight me' type.

But the idea was merely a suggestion - sparked after I backtracked through OOC and found Lance Casey's complaint about it (from a few months ago). His closed challenge had been moved to Storytelling and he was confused over the title of the forum.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 08:50:21 PM
It is an idea and yes your right..partly. An "I'm bored challenge" won't normally find its way to the StoryTelling forum, due to the fact that that forum is for closed threads. An "I'm bored" challenge, is normally open to anyone who may be online at the time it is posed. A closed thread generally means "pre-arranged" in some form or another, but could also mean that the individual only wants one other person to be a part of their thread. Just doesn't fit the profile of the "I'm bored..chalenge" argument to me.

And if we were to listen to the problems of a single user all the time, we would be constantly changing a great many things around here. :x

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2001, 10:00:25 PM
Reindexing the search information took approximately one and a half hours, for future reference. :x

Champion of the Force
Nov 12th, 2001, 11:32:59 PM
In the end though, the purpose of the forum is for any and all closed threads, whereas the title of the forum to me reads as 'Story-types only', which suggests the forum is more limiting than it really is.

But in the end, I would have no real idea what to call the forum anyway, apart from the 'Closed Threads Only' addition. :\

Just my 2 cents - I never actually thought about the title until I saw Lance's thread which actually made me think about it for once.