PDA

View Full Version : **SPOILER** Anakin's Lightsabre

Mortaniuss
Nov 8th, 2001, 10:44:16 AM
After watching the teaser trailer, I made note of two things:

1) At the beginning of the trailer, when Anakin is side-by-side with Obi Wan, he weilds a green lightsabre. Later on, when he's dueling with the mysterious Sith, he has a blue lightsabre. I wonder what could have caused the switch in weapons? We all know Obi Wan couldn't have died (unless the one in ANH is a clone O_O), but it's still curious.

2) The Sith which he's dueling looks suspiciously like an armor-less Vader: The flesh appears to be melted off the top of his head and looks much like Anakin himself did when he asked Luke to remove his helmet.

Just thought I'd bring this up and see what people thought of it. :angel

darth_mcbain
Nov 8th, 2001, 11:00:18 AM
That's a good catch - I didn't pick up on that (the different color lightsabers, that is...) I think that saber color is, for the most part, a matter of the wielder's preference, but as Anakin is just a padawan, it is possible that he might be experimenting with different sabers before he finds one to his liking. Or perhaps something happens to Obi-Wan and Anakin uses his saber? I don't know - there could be many different reasons for it.

Another possibility (although probably not the case), is that Lucas is just having a little fun with us. I think that it is likely that some of the effects in the trailer may not be the exact same ones we see in the finished movie. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult, in post-production, to change the color of a lightsaber. They might have just put the different color sabers in and then sit back and have a good laugh at us trying to figure out what the hey is going on... :lol Like I said, probably not, but who knows - they've changed trailers before...

As for the Sith (?) that Anakin is battling at the end of the trailer, its tough to tell - it could look like the old Anakin, but it could easily be anyone else too. The view they gave just doesn't give enough away (which I think is good - I like to not know everything...)

JMK
Nov 8th, 2001, 02:20:50 PM
I did notice the discrepancy and came up with the following possible explanations:

1- Lucas is playing with us, and possibly reading this thread. Just watching...laughing...

2- Anakin is using Qui Gon's saber, loses it in a particular duel midway through the film, and constructs another towards the end.

3- The green saber is his and he simply loses it and makes the blue one.

4- As some rumors have stated, it's his second saber (i.e. he uses 2 sabers at once in this movie).

Any other thoughts?

darth_mcbain
Nov 8th, 2001, 02:33:32 PM
Darnit, they're on to me... Now I'll have to go back to Skywalker Ranch and come up with a new name... :)

That would be funny if Lucas (or more likely, one of his underlings) was monitoring these threads. Heck, maybe this is where they're getting their ideas... :lol

One other idea for the saber difference could be that Obi-Wan gives it to him in mid battle, because Obi-Wan is incapacitated, or realizes that Anakin needs it more than he does. Obi-Wan doesn't necessarily have to die in order for Anakin to use his saber...

Mortaniuss
Nov 8th, 2001, 02:52:26 PM
Hmm... seeing as how the trailer did show Obi Wan captured in some way, that does seem a possibility.

Given that the teaser only gives us about 2 seconds per shot, it makes it really difficult to draw any conclusions (and yes, that's a good thing :)). But I'm thinking that the discrepency was shown on purpose, perhaps to make us wonder like this. Hopefully, even Lucas isn't sadistic enough to have changed it at the last moment just to drive us nuts. ;)

Also, if what I've read and seen is true (heavily debatable), I'm guessing that the person Anakin is fighting is not Tyranus - He's supposed to have a curved lightsabre. I even have a picture saved that's purported to be the alleged weapon.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 8th, 2001, 03:35:46 PM
AS JMK said there are numerous possibilities, maybe the next trailer will give us some more clues.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2001, 06:34:13 PM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss
After watching the teaser trailer, I made note of two things:

1) At the beginning of the trailer, when Anakin is side-by-side with Obi Wan, he weilds a green lightsabre. Later on, when he's dueling with the mysterious Sith, he has a blue lightsabre. I wonder what could have caused the switch in weapons? We all know Obi Wan couldn't have died (unless the one in ANH is a clone O_O), but it's still curious.

2) The Sith which he's dueling looks suspiciously like an armor-less Vader: The flesh appears to be melted off the top of his head and looks much like Anakin himself did when he asked Luke to remove his helmet.

Just thought I'd bring this up and see what people thought of it. :angel I actually mentioned both of these aspects in the Teaser Trailer topic that was here already, though obscured by grey spoiler space, since the topic wasn't labeled as a SPOILER topic.

Here is what I said about the figure Anakin was dueling:
It almost looked to me in the last saber fight scene in the trailer, as if Anikin's opponent had been digitally obscured. His(figurative) head looked like a blob of white-ish color as if they didn't want to give any hints of who it could be. Screen Capture Link</font> (http://thesithempire.clanpages.com/swtrailer/duel1.jpg><font)In the screen capture the head looks like a white blob, as if covered up or incomplete CGI. Hard to say, but we shall see what the other trailers show us and compare. :)

Mortaniuss
Nov 8th, 2001, 09:19:28 PM
Ok, so sue me: I don't visit this forum overly often. :p

That I'm aware of, I've only seen something like that done once before (in the Requiem for a Dream trailer, Jennifer Connelly is standing in front of a mirror without a bottom on, which they black out - It was very well done, and I didn't even notice until I thought "Hey wait... isn't she nude in that scene? Why is it in the trailer?")