PDA

View Full Version : ET: SE Stop the madness!!!!

Jedieb
Nov 4th, 2001, 12:41:18 PM
I'm actually looking forward to this special edition. Cleaning it up and adding a few scenes is a great idea. I can't wait to see the Harrison Ford scene. But there is a Greedo shoots first style change that bugs me. Has anyone seen the pictures of the "Parents against violence" style changes that Spielberg has made? I'm referring to the scene in which Elliot and ET are riding the bike and ET is just about to levitate the kids over the FBI blockade. Spielberg had replaced the shotguns the officers are holding with walkie talkies. This just rubs me the wrong way. This wasn't an image that needed to be changed. It's just not that offensive. What the hell were they suppose to be holding, lollipops? Does this bug anyone else?

JMK
Nov 4th, 2001, 07:28:11 PM
Doesn't bother me one bit Jedieb. I assume that if it were to bother anyone, it would bother someone like yourself considering you've got 2 small padawans. So then I assume that if it doesn't offend you, it really is an unnecessary change and should be left as is...

Champion of the Force
Nov 4th, 2001, 07:44:06 PM
From what I've read, both versions will be available in the DVD, so get that if you're worried. :)

PS. Just curious Jedieb, but why did you post this in SW Films? :huh

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 4th, 2001, 11:06:44 PM
I does bother me some too Jedieb, I also don't like them cutting out the word terroist in the movie, that is so stupid IMO.

Jedieb
Nov 4th, 2001, 11:40:49 PM
Davwy, we post off topic stuff in the box office forum all the time. (Look at the World Series thread.) Plus, I thought the reason behind the change was similiar to Lucas's motivation to alter certain scenes from ANH. So there's a SW film connection here. It's not just the Greedo scene, but the Detention Block Shootout in which a few seconds of blaster fire were edited out. These weren't especially violent scenes that needed to be changed to protect children watching SW or ET. I didn't go off on any killing spree because Han shot first, Death Star Guards got blown away, or because an FBI agent was holding a shot gun when Eliot and ET rode his way. These are changes that I don't think are necessary. Lucas and Spielberg can do what they want, these are their movies. I just wouldn't make these changes if I were them and I don't think most fans would either.

RHJediKnight
Nov 4th, 2001, 11:57:37 PM
Are the guns that important to the movie? I don't really have any problem with Spielberg changing this.

darth_mcbain
Nov 5th, 2001, 11:15:24 AM
As long as both are available on the DVD, then I don't really care, but I have to say that I am leaning towards thinking that this is kinda stupid. As EB said, I didn't go killing people because I saw it in movies. I think that movies, song lyrics, and other media get a bum rap on this stuff and get blamed for kids behavior. I think that it is perhaps a part of it, but I think that the root of the problem is probably closer to lack of communication between parents and children talking about what they see/hear.

On the other hand, sometimes media can get a little out of hand proclaiming first amendment rights to say whatever they want - and they can cross the line between what is prudently acceptable or not...

But in this case, I can't see cops having guns in a movie like E.T. as unacceptable. Cops have guns. I'm sorry, but its the truth... If it weren't for DVDs and having multiple versions of something, then I'd say leave it in, but if we have it on the DVD, then there isn't much to get worked up over...

Ok, rant over... >D

Champion of the Force
Nov 5th, 2001, 07:01:23 PM
Jedieb, I need to talk to you, but not here.

Head over to the Batcave (mod forum) please. :)

You can pop over too Carr.

ReaperFett
Nov 6th, 2001, 02:51:20 AM
today, its the agents in ET losing their shotguns and looking dumb. How long before they ruin more classics?

Jedieb
Nov 7th, 2001, 03:11:19 PM
Next Spielberg will appease animal rigts activists by altering the shark from Jaws so he doesn't look quite so "mean." Grapefruit farmers will lobby Hollywood to have future images of James Cagney shoving a grape fruit in a woman's face be altered to show a fruit that's grown by foreign farmers. "We're losing dozens of dollars a year because Cagney has tarnished the image of our beloeved Grapefruit!" complains Harvey Wanker, president of the Grapefruit Growers of America. Oh what am I talking about, NOW will probably get to the scene before the farmers do. shudder.... :x

BUFFJEDI
Nov 7th, 2001, 03:26:31 PM
JediEb(s) Did you get in trouble;)

JMK
Nov 7th, 2001, 08:58:16 PM
Can you imagine Spielberg changing the scene in Temple of Doom where that big bastard is whipping those kids? How many ways can they ruin that scene with all the political correctness these days?

Jedieb
Nov 8th, 2001, 10:00:37 AM
No trouble buff, just super secret mod stuff. I could tell you, but then JMC would have to kill you. The hit would fall to him because I wouldn't have the heart. ;)

darth_mcbain
Nov 8th, 2001, 10:10:30 AM
Or in Raiders of the Lost Ark, when Indy just casually shoots the swordsman. Indy has just taken a life! In such a casual manner!! THE SWORDSMAN NEVER HAD A CHANCE!!! I think that whole scene should be rewritten... Actually, the whole movie should be banned...

We laugh, but I bet there are some people out there who actually feel this way... :rolleyes

Darth23
Nov 8th, 2001, 11:08:45 AM
I'm just glad that , for a change, people are giving a lot of s*** to a director who isn't George Lucas. ;) :D

Sanis Prent
Nov 12th, 2001, 03:27:44 PM
God, when Reaper showed me that picture, I thought it was a fake...until I started hearing reports. That is just messed up. Reminds me of when I bought Everlast's "Whitey Ford Sings the Blues" CD, and they edited out the word "gun" in "What it's Like".

WTF? :verymad

Like the visigoths, it appears that the idiots can also conquer Rome. Jesus H. Christ, in "What its Like", the song is about how STUPID it is to get a gun, and start acting all big and bad. Its part of a positive message, and they just edit it out...OH NO, because guns can shoot people.

GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES. I'm sorry people got shot at Columbine, and I'm sorry about all the other tragedies, but this isn't gonna do a damn bit of difference to anything positive. I remember somebody's comment when a person asked if they thought more anti-gun legislation was needed. He said "Hell no, we've already got 500 laws against it, and they broke all of those." Taking "gun" out of song lyrics, and digitally editing cops shotguns in a kid film isn't going to prevent some mentally-imbalanced retard from flying off the handle. Idiots...get your damn priorities straight!

Its gonna be interesting when somebody snaps and shoots up a lot of people in hollywood, because he's sick of their dickhead edits. That'll make for an interesting scenario...and one far more realistic than preventing violence by removing it from entertainment.