PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Inc!

Darth23
Nov 3rd, 2001, 01:44:03 PM
$17 million opening. It could finish around the $50 million dollar mark.

JonathanLB
Nov 3rd, 2001, 04:27:42 PM
I went to the 4:30 showing at this rather large theater and there was already a 3 and a 3:25, but I was shocked that the theater was truly almost full. Mostly all little kids except there were maybe 15 of us, the teenagers waiting to see Episode II's trailer, haha.

I am happy for Pixar. They deserve this success and I hope the movie can pull in $150 million or so anyway. It was a good movie. I really enjoyed it. I'd give it 3.5 stars. I prefer both Toy Story films, but this is better than A Bug's Life slightly. All four are very enjoyable films...

I told you guys THE ONE would do better, too. Someone here said $8 to $10 million for the entire weekend. No way! lol. It made almost $7 on Friday alone.

THE ONE IS SO GOOD! Man, I love that movie. I'm seeing it again soon.

Darth23
Nov 3rd, 2001, 07:58:57 PM
I forgot sonething here:

Friday, Nov 2:
Monsters Inc. - 17.39
The One - 6.85
Domestic Disturbance - 4.13
K-Pax - 3.32
13 Ghosts - 2.68
Riding In Cars With Boys - 1.39
From Hell - 1.25
Training Day - .94
Bandits - .82
Serendipity .81 41.90

Looks like another 30 million dollar movie for Travolta. ;)

JonathanLB
Nov 3rd, 2001, 08:02:26 PM
Don't you think that's being a little optimistic, Darth? ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 4th, 2001, 12:35:39 AM
I am surprised by that opening for Monsters INC I wonder how much of it is attriubted to the SW fans going to see the trailer? I'd say it makes 45-50 depending on what it does Sunday. And I am the one that said the One was going to do bad sure it made almost 7 million on Friday and will probably pull in 15-20 for the weekend but I still seeing doing nothing here on the. It just looks bad to me (I mean the plot) I read Roger Ebert's review and I knew it was bad when I couldn't make sense of the plot from his synopsis (I don't think he could either) it just sounds stupid. First off if there were parrell worlds why would there only be 100 and something? It would make more since if it was infinite like in other sci-fiction tales (Sliders come to mind off hand) and then to have the plot revolve around having the guy going around killing his doubles making him more powerful that is just oxymoronic but I think Ebert said it best, "If Yulaw kills 123 selves, he has the power of 124. Follow this logic far enough, and retirement homes would be filled with elderly geezers who have outlived their others and now have the strength of 124, meaning they can bend canes with their bare hands and produce mighty bowel movements with scornful ease." He is exactly right and that is why I think the movie sounds dumb, sure the fights look cool but I don't like films that have plots that make no sense at all.

JonathanLB
Nov 4th, 2001, 02:02:18 AM
That is one of the best movies of the year and the plot is actually quite good.

You obviously don't understand it and you're jumping to conclusions as you've not even SEEN it yet. There are things about The Matrix that don't make sense either to some people, but you just have to think them through.

It is explained. Ebert is just stupid, that's all, he has been really stupid lately with everything. You believe a guy who dissed Gladiator, the greatest non-Star Wars film ever?! Gladiator is god-like and he didn't like it. He's just a stupid fatso.

As for your question, you don't gain more power just from someone else like you dying. That's retarded. You gain power from killing them when they were not supposed to die. Either that or you get power just from killing them. It doesn't matter if they die or not, as long as you had nothing to do with it, but it's like The Highlander. When you kill one of your own, you gain their power, or a part of it, and so does everyone else like you on the multiverse.

I don't know how you can say it looked stupid. What are you talking about?! The movie had one of the best trailers ever and you say it looked stupid?! GET REAL!! It was awesome. It's a four star film, great sci-fi, great action, and it was just damn kickass.

Given that you've never seen the film and I have, your opinion carries very little weight. It also sounds just stupid considering you're asking questions about a movie you've never seen and criticizing its plost without giving it a chance.

The movie is mainly about awesome action anyway, but I still find the plot quite useful to the action and quite interesting still.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 4th, 2001, 02:10:45 AM
Monsters Inc was incredibly hilarious. I loved it ! :)

And of course, I got to see the trailer. My nephews went to see The One, they loved it. My brother-in-law said that the plot was confusing...But I think I'm going to have to see it anyway :) It looks cool, and a girl's got to have her action films.

But I bet Monsters does better in the box office anyway. In a word: Hilarious. I bet Fett likes it when he gets to see it. It has Steve Buschemi in it...even though I can't spell his last name..... :(

JonathanLB
Nov 4th, 2001, 03:04:24 AM
hehe, anyone who loves to see a great action film with a great action star will love The One. It's The One to see! ;)

Monsters, Inc. was very funny, yeah, and I liked what they did with the plot.

Jedieb
Nov 4th, 2001, 11:32:39 AM
I saw Monsters, Inc. yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. It was much better than the trailers let on. The ad campaign makes it seem as if Billy Crystal's is the focus of the movie, but it's actually John Goodman's character that drives the movie. And the movie is better for it. Don't get me wrong, I love Billy Crystal, and he's EXCELLENT in Monsters. But he's the comic sidekick here and you don't want your sidekick to have more screen time than the hero. Goodman was great and the movie looked GORGEOUS. I can't believe what a great job Pixar did on certain shots. The hair on Sully looked perfect in some shots! The CGI has taken leaps from Toy Story 1 and you can only imagine what they'll be capable of 10 years from now. I don't see Monsters surpassing Shrek at the B.O. but it should do excellent business and has a decent shot at $200M. I don't see it doing as well with teens and adults as Shrek, but it should still gross over $150 and give Disney another dump truck full of cash.

And of course the trailer kicked ass. :)

JonathanLB
Nov 4th, 2001, 04:45:14 PM
The promotional campaign for Monsters, Inc. wasn't very good, or at least it didn't appeal to me as much. I just knew it was Pixar and that it would still be good, so I would have seen it regardless of the trailer.

It REALLY did well Saturday!! HOLY cow. lol.

TPM did its job, but man Episode II needs to go in and take back what is ours! The weekday records, weekend day records, weekend records, etc. Monsters, Inc. again made more on Sat. than TPM did (inflation, of course...).

Time for Episode II to reclaim the records and kill the infidels!

Dutchy
Nov 4th, 2001, 05:43:55 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
It REALLY did well Saturday!! HOLY cow. lol.

Well, how much did it make on Saturday?

Is there still a site that publishes daily (weekend)numbers?

JonathanLB
Nov 4th, 2001, 05:57:11 PM
It made like $26+ million Saturday...

26.27 ShowBizData says! :)

That's pretty damn nice.

foxdvd
Nov 4th, 2001, 07:11:08 PM
Wow….over 63 million on a non-holiday weekend, for a non-sequel. 200 is looking like a big yes now, especially after that huge jump on Saturday. Maybe studios need to look at opening family movies during the first of the month more often. Many people are paid, but on top of that social security and welfare is given out at this time. Combine that with a strong name like Pixar, and you got gold.

So does it have a chance at Shrek?

Champion of the Force
Nov 4th, 2001, 07:25:15 PM
Ebert is just stupid, that's all, he has been really stupid lately with everything. You believe a guy who dissed Gladiator, the greatest non-Star Wars film ever?! Gladiator is god-like and he didn't like it. He's just a stupid fatso.
It most certainly is NOT the greatest non-SW film ever, at least for me. But we all have our own opinions. :)

I've actually found myself agreeing with some of Ebert's more recent reviews, especially for films like Planet of the Apes and AI.

JonathanLB
Nov 4th, 2001, 08:23:00 PM
Did he trash them too?

AI is the year's best movie and Planet of the Apes is also four stars. Let me guess, he hated both of them too?!

He's such an idiot.

Gladiator is definitely the greatest movie ever. The SW films are not of this world, therefore they do not compete with mortal films. But among those mortal films, Gladiator is king.

Champion of the Force
Nov 4th, 2001, 08:48:07 PM
He gave AI 3 stars (whis is not too bad), whilst Planet of the Apes landed with a 2 1/2.

So he didn't hate them, just disappointed a bit. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 4th, 2001, 10:31:56 PM
First jon I don't have to see the movie, I have made plenty of judgements about iffy films from the trailers and the reviews so it justn't doesn't appeal to me thats all. I'm glad you like it but it is probably a film I'll just wait to see on cable if at all. And Eveert is a great critic and I respect his opinion, sure I have disagreed with him from time to time but he usually is right more often and not, do remember that he gave TPM 3.5 stars that alone has made me think of him as the greatest critic around :) Now to Monsters INC 63 million is a lot of money and I have two questions, is that 26 million for saturday a record I now TPM made around 26 or so on Wed I forgot the exact figures, and second how much does every one think the SW trailer played into its gross, maybe an even better question how many people here would have saw this weekend if it wasn't on it. I'm not sure if I would, I probably would have waited and see some people's opinions on it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 5th, 2001, 01:39:30 AM
I, for one, was going to see Monsters Inc before I even knew that the trailer was going to be attatched. It was a perk. An extremely nice one, at that. :)

JonathanLB
Nov 5th, 2001, 02:47:02 AM
TPM didn't make $26 million Saturday, it made $24 million. Monsters, Inc. beat it.

It also played in 300 more theaters, though, and had the advantage of far higher ticket prices. So don't be that impressed. lol.

It's still a super nice opening, though.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 5th, 2001, 02:49:37 PM
No I meant its first day total on Wed what did TPM make on Wed I know it was around 26.

Darth23
Nov 5th, 2001, 05:49:20 PM
TPM opened with 28 million (28.54 million, actually. It's still the single day record.)

TPM's opening weeked was 64,810,970, 2 million higher than Monster's Inc's 62.8 million total (final numbers).

Darth23
Nov 8th, 2001, 03:11:24 PM
Wouldn't it be weird if Monsters Inc. pulled a 'Shrek' and became the highest grossing movie of the season?

This thought just occured to me. I don't really think it will happen, but I remember everyone was stitting around waiting for Pearl Harbor to come out, and we didn't know that the biggest movie of the summer had already been released.

If Monsters Inc had as much staying power as Shrek then it would gross.... $399 million!!! :O

OF course, since it's not Summer, and Monster's Inc's opening was so high, I don't think this will happen. I think it has a good chot at finishing ahead of Harry Potter, but I think LOTR will win the season.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 8th, 2001, 03:16:57 PM
Actually I really doubt it I think it will end up around 175 to 200 but I think Harry Potter will make more because I see it opening around 70-75 million and will probably make 200-230. Regardless LOTR will kill them all and come close to 300 and be the #1 movie of the year.

Darth23
Nov 8th, 2001, 03:34:48 PM
I think Monsters Inc will have better legs than Harry Potter. We'll see what kind [of] second week it has.

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2001, 03:40:04 PM
From what Ive heard, I think HP will beat LOTR and Monsters Inc

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 8th, 2001, 03:44:38 PM
I've heard that argument Reaper and have to admit it has a chance but I just think LOTR will have a better run overall, HP will have the best opening Weekend, but LOTR will beat it in the end, actually there is a possibility that both films could top Shrek, HP could make 275 by years end but then LOTR has Jan to March and then makes enough to top HP, that is how big both of these films are.

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2001, 03:47:16 PM
Anyone got an idea of LOTR's classification?

Champion of the Force
Nov 8th, 2001, 05:45:45 PM
I believe LOTR will be rated PG-13. There were suggestions it could be an R film but Jackson had certain scenes cut (mainly battle scenes) to try and reduce the rating. The cut scenes are going to be put back in the DVD apparently.

He can't have cut much though because the film is still nearly 3 hours long - there were talks about trying to get the film below 2 hrs 30 mins but they didn't manage it.

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2001, 06:03:13 PM
do any heroes use Lawnmowers? :)

Im sure HP will win now then, as more can see it

Darth23
Nov 8th, 2001, 06:21:33 PM
"From what Ive heard, I think HP will beat LOTR and Monsters Inc"

Our OWN counsel we will keep on how much money HP grosses!

:p

But seriously, I'd trust the estimates of most of the regulars on this board more than I'd trust these so-called experts who are predicting that Harry Potter will beat Titanic.

Mu Satach
Nov 9th, 2001, 01:06:23 AM
You tell 'em Darth baby!

Monsters kicked Ass! I think whether or not it has legs depends on how HP does. HP is going to be it's biggest competition for the season.

And I'm betting LOTR will end up the wiener this year.

Darth23
Nov 10th, 2001, 02:37:15 PM
12 million on Friday - a 30% drop.

If that holds Monsters will make about 43 million in its second weekend. Actually it should do at least that well, since Monday is a holiday, Sunday will play more like a Saturday.

Toy Story 2 (245 million) opened with 57 million, then dropped 50% (after the Thanksgiving holiday) to 27 million.

Friday's Numbers:

MONSTERS, INC. - 11.99
SHALLOW HAL - 7.42
ONE, THE - 2.72
HEIST - 2.49
DOMESTIC DISTURBANCE - 2.27
K-PAX - 1.77
13 GHOSTS - 1.42
LIFE AS A HOUSE - 1.11
RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS - .73
TRAINING DAY - .56

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2001, 07:35:55 PM
I'd say it will make between 38-42 for the second weekend which is what most people figured it would do but what about Shallow Hall, it took in almost 7.5 million for Friday that is really good. It should easily make 20, probably make 22 or 23 million which is a really surprise. I guess really it should be a huge shock since it is a Farrely brother movie and there last couple of films, Me and Myself and Irene and Something About Mary both did pretty good at the box office.

Darth23
Nov 10th, 2001, 08:24:49 PM
Monday is a holiday for most people, isn't it?

I looked back a few years, and Vetrans'Day weekend doesnt' seem to be a very big movie BO weekend.

Of course I don't know how many Big kids/family movies are usually out around this time.

Jedieb
Nov 10th, 2001, 09:30:29 PM
Monday is a holiday for the post office and a few government offices I imagine, but most people will be back to work or school. So it's not a real big movie weekend. I'm trying to think of something to do tomorrow for Veteran's Day. I don't really know if anything is going on in town or not. I may just call up my friend who's been activated and wish him well.

Champion of the Force
Nov 10th, 2001, 10:10:12 PM
I agree with Mu - the legs of Monsters could be hit hard when the HP factor enters.

Some polls have suggested that Monsters could even beat Shrek in the boxoffice stakes, but I can't see it happening with the list of upconing films.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2001, 11:41:33 PM
I agree, you got Harry Potter next weekend, then Spy Game and Black Knight, Then in December you got, Oceans 11, Vanilla Sky, FOTR, and Ali all big movies I can't see Monster INC surviving that kind of competition. Realize Shrek didn't really have any major competiton in terms of family films. Sure there was Atlantis but that was a terrible movie and it doesn't have the fan base of Harry Potter which will almost certainly make 70 million next weekend. So I think it will make 200 but it will not make too much more than that..

Darth23
Nov 11th, 2001, 12:48:22 AM
I think Monsters Inc will continue to thrive during the holidays. Monsters Inc is definitely targeted towards a younger audience than Harry.

My gut right now is saying that Harry potter won't be a major repeat business movie - but then I'm not that familiar with the books, so I could be WAY off.

Darth23
Nov 11th, 2001, 01:18:31 PM
Weekend Estimate: 46.17 million

That's a drop of 26% for those scoring at home. ;)

Pretty impressive for a 62 million dollar opener. Does anyone knwo how many movies have grossed over 40 million for 2 weeks in a row?

Now I'm really curious to see how well it will do against Harry Potter. If its drops are in the 30's then it could still clear 30 million next week. I think it will seriously get close to Shrek, at least.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 11th, 2001, 06:33:52 PM
I think Harry Potter will kill it next weekend. Everybody wants to go see it so I'd see at least a 2 to 1 gap between the two. I still think Monster Inc will do between 200-230 not much more because of Harry Potter and then later LOTR which I think will be the #1 movie of the year.

Darth23
Nov 11th, 2001, 06:55:32 PM
2 -1 and it could still easily gross 30 million in it's THIRD weekend.

My quick, early prediction would be:

HP: 69 million

Monsters Inc: 29 million. :eek

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 11th, 2001, 09:22:08 PM
I'd say HP 73
Monsters INC 26 which is still not bad but Harry Potter's gross just looks unbelieveable next to it.