PDA

View Full Version : Captain Typho

darth_mcbain
Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:40:23 AM
In the latest edition of the Homing Beacon, they interviewed Jay Laga'aia, who plays Captain Typho. In it, they reveal that Typho is Panaka's nephew. What ever happened to Panaka? I could be wrong, but I though I recalled that he wasn't happy with how production ran and bowed out of the next episodes. If that was the case, do you think that if he hadn't bowed out, he would be in instead of Typho? Is Typho just a psuedo-Panaka since Hugh Quarshie isn't in it?

I didn't know if that constituted spoiler stuff, but better safe to use the spoiler tags...

BTW - while I am not a big Fett fan (of either of them, although maybe that will change with Ep. II), there is a pretty sweet picture of one of them (probably Jango) on the Homing Beacon.

JMK
Nov 2nd, 2001, 02:40:37 PM
My question is not what happened to Panaka, but what the hell is the point of making this connection??

darth_mcbain
Nov 2nd, 2001, 02:56:24 PM
So that in Ep III, they can bring Panaka back:

Panaka> "Padme never told you what happened to your uncle"
Typho>> "She told me enough... She told me you killed him..."
Panaka> "No. I am your uncle"
Typho>> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:lol

Yeah - I don't know what the purpose of that connection was. Just make it seem like Panaka retired from the force and Typho is now the head dude - no need to make him the nephew of Panaka (unless, of course, George Lucas has some tricks up his sleeve, but as Panaka is not a super-major character, I can't see that as happening.)

Sorry if I pissed off any major Panaka fans.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 2nd, 2001, 03:31:54 PM
The actor that played Panaka wanted out because he has a short part and got killed in the movie, he didn't want to die is the main reason I guess (probably was hoping for a major role in both EP2 and 3). As for why they made the connection who knows, it could have already been in the script before the actor who played Panaka bolted (maybe there was something else planned here) if not then I have no clue.

ReaperFett
Nov 2nd, 2001, 03:33:53 PM
Carr, Hugh Quarshie didn't want to do it because he wasn't allowed to see the script. How'd he know he'd die? :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 2nd, 2001, 03:41:30 PM
All I know is that was one of the stories on theforce.net. I think I remember the details he was worried that his character would die so he wanted to see the script to see what happened to him and that is when they said no, so I guess the two explanations were related.

darth_mcbain
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:00:58 PM
I hadn't heard that it was due to his character dying, but that he wasn't pleased with how his character development went in Ep. 1, and also that he wasn't pleased with the crew and direction. I can't, for the life of me though, remember where I heard that, so that may not be the case.

If you ask me, though, I won't miss him all that much. I thought his performance was pretty weak and didn't have a good feel to it. My un-favorite line of his: "Looks pretty bad". Was he talking about the storm or his acting?

I don't know, maybe it wasn't so bad, but like I said, I don't think I'll miss him all that much.

ReaperFett
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:16:14 PM
I think he did alright. I wish he was back. Him and Olié. I'll miss em *sniff*

darth_mcbain
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:22:09 PM
I didn't realize that Ric Olie wouldn't be back - is that another actor issue where he didn't want to come back, or is he just not part of the story for Ep II? Too bad, I liked him too. His expression when he yells "SHIELD GENERATOR'S BEEN HIT!" cracks me up.

Every time I see him on screen, I always think of the Ricola commercial "Riiiiiiiiiicolllaaa...." :lol I guess when George Lucas was coming up with his name he must have had a sore throat.

ReaperFett
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:49:00 PM
well, he wasnt listed before I started avoiding spoilers, and not seen anything to do with him, so Im presuming so