PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Nov 1st, 2001, 11:20:23 AM
About the OOC forum. Seems alot of people post with their sigs, which is fine but every post?

Alot of OOC is one sentence comments and goofing around and having a huge sig take up space seems wasteful especially if you are trying to scroll down.

Unless you are testing or working on a sig or need to post it for some reason, would it be too much to ask one sig per person per thread?

Let's hear whatcha gots ta say :)

Taylor Millard
Nov 1st, 2001, 11:38:09 AM
I'm fine with that. I have no problem with you idea. See I'm not even posting my sig in this. heh.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Nov 1st, 2001, 11:47:55 AM
I can deal with that..*doesn't post with her sig much anyway*

imported_Firebird1
Nov 1st, 2001, 12:36:02 PM
I only use a link to my sig down at the bottom.

I find that using it as an image every single time increases load time like crazy. And besides, it's still over at Geocities.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2001, 12:46:20 PM
I am going to look into making the default behavior of the "Show Signature" checkbox, be unchecked, so that it will require a conscious effort to include your signature rather than the current state. Or an option within the control panel to choose its default state. Currently, if you have a custom signature, that checkbox is automatically checked and can easily be forgotten to uncheck, though I myself am in the habit of reving that check because I too am annoyed by seeing my signature file repeated over and over again in a thread needlessly.

ReaperFett
Nov 1st, 2001, 12:58:57 PM
dont do that! I automatically turn my off without thinking, if you do that Ill keep using it!

And this is how it looks :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2001, 01:32:00 PM
Or an option within the control panel to choose its default state. Is what I am hoping to be able to do, so you will be able to leave things just the way you are used to them.

Sanis Prent
Nov 1st, 2001, 02:05:09 PM
but...but....I'm getting better at remembering! :(

Slayn Rainyer
Nov 1st, 2001, 02:51:20 PM
Didn't we alredy have that understanding? Only using a sig once a page?

( Is constantly forgetting to check sig box off. )

Sanis Prent
Nov 1st, 2001, 03:25:35 PM
with IFrame rotating sigs, I can understand the once-per-thread rule. But with other sigs...it takes the same amount of time to load, no matter how many are on a page. Combine that with the fact that sigs make reading threads of long posts easier, and I don't see much point in that rule :)

Admiral Lebron
Nov 1st, 2001, 04:28:47 PM
Quiet, Mr. I-have-a-big-purty-sig. Your sig takes me valuble instants of loading time!

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Nov 1st, 2001, 04:37:20 PM
You're missing the point, Lebron. No matter how many times the same sig is in a thread...it takes the same loading time as if its only in there once.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2001, 04:41:36 PM
Wastes valuable scrolling time and becomes much too repetative for me seeing it every time a person posts. And wasn't Dale's point regarding here in the OOC forum? Explain why its needed at all here. :p

ReaperFett
Nov 1st, 2001, 04:48:59 PM
Why is a sig needed? Why a PP? Why a background, banner or icon? Why is the sky above? Why does toast land butter side down? Why do birds suddenly appear, everytime you are near?

THEY JUST ARE :)

Come on, what sort of idiot would forget to uncheck their sig for the second post, eh?

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Nov 1st, 2001, 04:49:02 PM
oh :p...

(meditates and floats away)

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Nov 1st, 2001, 04:50:31 PM
I often ignore the name, and just look at the sig for the persons name, and all the same uses of one picture load at the same time, same peed, no matter how many times it is used.

Champion of the Force
Nov 1st, 2001, 05:56:06 PM
I have sigs and Avatars disabled in my options, so I couldn't care either way. :)

Alpha
Nov 1st, 2001, 06:24:02 PM
I don't really care about this one. I'm a good boy in this regard...:smokin

Wolfgang Schreiger
Nov 1st, 2001, 06:39:14 PM
It would be cool to be able to selectively disable viewing certain sigs....maybe some that are either too large for our fancy in either filesize or dimensions, or maybe some that aren't up to par on an aesthetic sense, such as Ron's empty HTML box.

Lord Gue
Nov 1st, 2001, 06:39:29 PM
I like Swfans idea...

Rothmar Dujek
Nov 1st, 2001, 07:06:43 PM
I second SWFans suggestion that your first post in a thread will have your sig. Letting everyone see the face that represents your nic. Then all subsequent posts without the sig.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:44:36 AM
I'm still in waiting mode. Waiting to see if any of the people at the vBulletin hacking forums are willing to do this for me.

As it stands I already have access to a hack that will make it so that the signature is automatically included within the first post and then removed from subsequent ones. But I would rather give users the option to set the default state of the "Show Signature" checkbox. Time will tell. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 2nd, 2001, 02:02:37 AM
That hack sounds good. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

DarthNuriko
Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:45:32 AM
I would. Sometimes, I don't post with a sig at all... wouldn't that hack force it into every first post I make in a thread? It's kinda sad we're talking about this. If a moron like me can uncheck one little box, why can enough other people do it as to not deem it necessary to even need a hack? :lol

And sigs are just nice to look at, that's why they get posted in OOC forums. :mneh

ReaperFett
Nov 2nd, 2001, 12:05:36 PM
If it forces it for the first one, definately no. Means we HAVE to wait for the loading time no matter what, and will make it slower, making it a quite useless upgrade

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:50:40 PM
I am not entirely positive of the behavior of the hack. It may actually force the sig on the first post and remove it from all follow ups, by the same user, or it may just check the “Show Signature” box on the first post, and then automatically uncheck it for subsequent replies. The details provided with the code are a little lacking. I may try it out here in a little while and see exactly what it does. Undoing an applied hack is very easy to do. :)

darth_mcbain
Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:55:49 PM
I'd be fine with it. I found that when I had my sig-pic going it took forever to load. When I'm at work, it isn't that big of an issue as I've got pretty good bandwidth, but at home it is a drag waiting for things to pop up.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 2nd, 2001, 02:51:40 PM
I am all for anything that will help to get a quicker refresh rate is a good thing.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2001, 03:53:12 PM
Test w/hack installed....

The "Show Signature" box is still checked by default, but will the hack cut my sig?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2001, 03:55:54 PM
Test 2. Slight modification...

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2001, 03:59:31 PM
I have tested the behavior of the hack, and I am not certain I like it. It automatically unchecks the "Show Signature" box after the first post by "ANY" poster. So you would have to make a conscious effort to include your signature on anything but the starting of a new topic. More feedback would be good. :)

Vega Van-Derveld
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:03:03 PM
Very nice upgrade. Will make laziness even easier :) merci.

ReaperFett
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:08:24 PM
let's test.....

ReaperFett
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:09:47 PM
it failed!

j/k, checked it :)

I dont like it if it unchecks all but the start. Whats the point? Most people do uncheck

Morgan Evanar
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:15:22 PM
Fett, you forget Sanis and his 30+ other aliases who do often forget.

I always remember cause it bugs the hell out of me.

Sanis Prent
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:19:21 PM
:rant

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 2nd, 2001, 07:20:05 PM
I don't care. :) I'll uncheck the box, or I'll check it, whatever I feel like doing. I try to only include my sig once in an RP, and maybe twice or so in an OOC forum discussion...to be honest, I don't care so much in here. But I will try to be better as well.

(goodness gracious, my sigs are tiny file-wise ANYWAY)

Jedi Master Leia Solo
Nov 3rd, 2001, 10:41:52 PM
No siggie is fine OOC wise. And having it unchecked is a good idea in this forum! :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 3rd, 2001, 10:45:37 PM
:D

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 4th, 2001, 01:48:28 AM
Um, you've got something big and green inbetween your teeth Swfans....

ReaperFett
Nov 4th, 2001, 05:53:30 AM
well why not make it so sigs are disabled full stop then? No point the first person getting it, is there?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2001, 11:45:42 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
well why not make it so sigs are disabled full stop then? No point the first person getting it, is there? O_o

Ummm, its not that bad, IMO. All you have to do to include your sig is check the box. Not that difficult.

ReaperFett
Nov 4th, 2001, 03:01:28 PM
exactly! So why have the first person have them on to start with, eh?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2001, 03:47:13 PM
Changing those default states isn't just a matter of switching something in the Administrator Control Panel. I would need to locate which source file its det in and modify actual code, hoping my syntax is correct. I can probably manage it, but I actually don't think its a problem.