PDA

View Full Version : Yo! Tolkien Fans...

Mu Satach
Oct 31st, 2001, 07:11:22 AM
a fellow in need on another board I go to asked this question... thought maybe someone here might know since we've had a few lively discussions about the upcoming movies. :)

<blockquote>
I need to find an analysis/critical review of Tolkiens "Verse of the Rings" poem

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verse of the Rings

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
</blockquote>

Danke!

:cat

Figrin D'an
Oct 31st, 2001, 04:54:42 PM
Hmmm... well, probably the best analysis of Tolkien and his work is a book by Paul Kocher called "Master of Middle-Earth." As far as I know, however, it's out of print, so you would have to attempt to find a used copy. A more recent book was written by Joseph Pearce called "Tolkien: Man and Myth" that might be useful. There have been a couple books of compiled essays on Tolkien's work that have been published lately that you can probably find through a search on amazon.com.

As for stuff posted on the net... I'm not really sure.

I guess I would recommend Kocher's book... it's somewhat dated, but it's still very good. The published "Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien" is also very enlightening.

Hope this helps! :)

Mu Satach
Oct 31st, 2001, 06:47:35 PM
Thanks man! =D