PDA

View Full Version : Official Survey - Suggestions

Nupraptor
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:12:59 PM
From this (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10791&pagenumber=9) thread:
I would like that survey done. It would help end this bickering. And it would help show how good a job/bad a job this team is doing.This has generally been agreed upon as a good idea. While I'm not really in any capacity to make this thread "Official", I think that the person who starts it is irrelevant, so long as it gets started.

First of all, we're going to need to ask the right questions. How, exactly, do you wish to judge their performance? It has to be low on subjectivity, since it's far too easy to say "I don't like how soandso runs things. Oh, 'why' you ask? Uh, because I don't like them."

Yes, how you feel does factor into this. But the questions have to be as objective as possible: Is the person around often, do they reply to inquiries in a timely fashion, etc etc etc.

Please make suggestions for questions to ask here. They will be discussed, and appropriate questions will be posted in a new thread for everyone to answer.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:24:35 PM
I'm fine with the way things have gone, and aside from the misderstanding with DT a week or so back, have no real problems with the staff.

Nupraptor
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:28:23 PM
This is not intended to be the actual Survery, but a request for Survey questions.

Rama
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:30:49 PM
You should come up with a form.....that asks the questions about the staff and preformance. This form could be filled out and emailed back to the person/persons in charge of this. You'd only have to make one form and your true ID could stay secert. Cause some might have things to say, but are afraid to say them.

Rama
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:32:43 PM
Oh and a Staff member should be the one that handles the forms either........to tempting. Should pick someone very netural. (That leaves me out. LOL!)

Figrin D'an
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:41:39 PM
Well, to maintain objectivity, how about setting up the survey similar to course evaluations that one would do at the end of an academic semester... kind of a like "rate so-and-so in the following areas from 1-5, 1 being poor, 5 being excellent."
Then maybe choose several categories, like Availibility to posters, Promptness (in replies, etc.), Politeness, Knowledge Base, Overall Effectiveness... then maybe under those have individual points or questions to which a rating can be applied...

And also have an area for more specific comments on any given area.

Anywho... just an idea.

Sanis Prent
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:42:03 PM
Originally posted by Rama
Oh and a Staff member should be the one that handles the forms

Noted, Rama :)

Nupraptor
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:52:02 PM
All are very good suggestions. However, to make a form which is anonymous yet only allows each person to vote once would require a bit of work. There needs to be some way to make sure that someone isn't simply spamming the Survey with multiple IDs.

Rama
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:52:05 PM
Damn "n't" get your ass over there!!!!!!

Shouldn't ...........there.

Sanis Prent
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:56:13 PM
Indeed Nup...otherwise I might be so morally bankrupt to use each of my 25 aliases to vote :p

(that was a JOKE, ya prudes)

Figrin D'an
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:56:58 PM
Well.... to ensure that the use of multiple ID's is avoided, someone will have to collect all the surveys, with names, and then remove the names for official submission... or have said person compile the data themselves... either way, there is going to have to be some kind of human influence to monitor the survey submission. The problem then is finding someone that everyone on the boards will trust with a task such as that. Given that a lot of accusations have been flying around... this might not be easy.

:(

Champion of the Force
Oct 30th, 2001, 11:04:45 PM
Another thing is the actual topic of the survey. Is this a survey purely for commenting on staff performance, or do we wish to cover other subjects as well?

I think it provides an excellent opportunity to also find out opinions and ideas on roleplaying in general, like whether the rules are satisfactory or if there needs to be a revamp here of there for instance.

Just throwing more ideas into the pot. :)

DarthHERA
Oct 30th, 2001, 11:44:17 PM
The idea of the survey was more of what Dave just said - to get concerns for the RP forum here in general. There were a number of issues in th "Uh2" thread that werent just related to Staff doing or not doing their job.

Heres how I see it could be done.

* Make one form/survey questionaire (as per Rama's post)

*The questions that are submitted by posters, will be put into a "yes or no" answer format. (1. for clarity purpose and 2. endless rants as to why and wherefores aren't necessary-we've been there done that in the previous thread. We just need a simple yey or nay or else we will be here FOREVAHHHHHH.

*Everyone copies the Questionaire and emails it to the ppl designated to tabulate the results. (email it to the designates as a group address so no one can say-"I never got so and so's blah blah")

*Results are tabulated by these individuals (the said individuals will come to the same result obviously) They can keep these emails on file should any discrepency arise for comparison between the designated tabulators. I think 3 ppl is a good number for this task.

*ALL SURVEY RESPONSES ARE TO REMAIN CONFIDENTIAL TO THE DESIGNATED TABULATORS. only the generic results (numbers in other words) will be submitted to the Admins or even just posted in the OOC forum in a tally-sheet so you can see majority vote.

Think about things that bother you. Try not to think of personality traits that bug you, thats not the point of this. Its to try to make this RPForums as good as it can be. Think of ways to improve any aspect from Sigs or Fleets or Welcoming Commitees to Rules - you get the idea.

I am gonna try to think of something to include in the survey.

You want things to change, then submit something and it just might happen :)

edit: meant to say this too - The multi-nic thing, will have to be an honor system. I dont see how else to work that one.

Champion of the Force
Oct 31st, 2001, 12:01:21 AM
:: nods ::

HERA's approach sounds good. Have a survey with 'Yes/No' questions on it to streamline and simplify the process.

However, I still think that at the end there should be a final section simply asking 'Is there any iother area you want to talk about' or something, which will allow the person free rein to state any remaining issues they feel need to be said that weren't covered in the initial Y/N questions.

Otherwise there's the underlying risk of posters complaining that the issue they wanted to really talk about about wasn't provided for. And I don't think it's possible to cover EVERY issue in Y/N format.

At the end of the survey, when all the results are tabled up, the final result will be posted here. Also, there could be a small report about the final section I mentioned above that can discuss other issues that were brought up.

There should be at least 2 people tabulating the results to ensure fairness, if not more - 3 sounds like a good number but I wouldn't go over 5 otherwise it would spread the process out too much. How these people are appointed I don't know - we could hold a vote, or maybe we can simply ask the major groups to appoint 1 person each maybe?

More ideas for the pot. :)

Figrin D'an
Oct 31st, 2001, 12:14:23 AM
I tend to agree that an 'open suggestion' area should be included in the form. Granted, it will make for more work for those that have to sort through the surveys, but it is a good idea so that, as David said, everyone has an opportunity to bring up issues that may not be covered in the main body of the form.

A yes/no format is fine... we need to make sure that the questions are worded so there is no confusion or misinterpretation (ie. avoid using double negatives, use concise and simple language, etc.).

Morgan Evanar
Oct 31st, 2001, 12:17:37 AM
Mneh, sorry, I'm a dolt sometimes. I just ordered a pizza to solve that.

Arya Ravenwing
Oct 31st, 2001, 01:13:49 AM
Survey=good idea

I think that the people chosen to "moderate" the results (I couldn't think of a different word, sorry) should be very neutral. I would offer my services as one, just so people can consider me (if they want to, that is).

I usually RP under the alias Lady/Lilaena De'Ville.

I don't know how to solve the problem of multiple alias', I agree with Hera, that would have to be sort of an honor system. Unless *gasp* we forced a staff member to look up and compare all IP addresses. HAHAHA <--sarcasm No, I'm not really suggesting that, don't worry.

But to make it completely anonymus...(sorry also can't spell)...I don't know how we could do that. I mean, ...could we? Maybe I don't completely understand how this process will work. Still, even if it wasn't a secret ballot (at least not in the initial emails to the 2-3 mediators) I don't think it would be a problem. The people chosen should be deemed trustworthy enough NOT to divulge information anyway.

SURVEY QUESTIONS:

1. Do you think the staff is doing a good job at Swfans.net Forums? (a) Admins y/n (b) Moderators y/n

If no, why? (limit four sentances)

2. Do you think that newbies are treated unfairly? y/n

Champion of the Force
Oct 31st, 2001, 01:21:10 AM
Hmmm - Arya's suggestion might be a better approach. A lot of people may in fact want to expand upon their answers rather than simply respond Y/N.

Might make the final tabulation a bit more complicated, but we've got to weigh up which is more important - ease of tabulation or getting everyone's thoughts heard as best as we can?

Arya Ravenwing
Oct 31st, 2001, 01:41:04 AM
A written answer is easier to tabulate than a *Rate this on a scale from 1-10* type, because really, I'd need a calculator and seven years of famine to figure that all out.

I think its important to get the "why" of the answer...even if that information isn't necessarily given out to the general public in the survey results. Or if answers match, we could say: 10 of the respondents thought that the Mod's joked around too much with the general posting community. (Of course, if anyone wrote that ...)

Its also necessary to LIMIT the length of the WHY answers. I think its pretty obvious that people can get very longwinded in their replies, and often to their own detriment. No offense meant to Jedah, but most of the time I couldn't figure out what his main points were. Long post...but maybe some thought could condense it all into three or four heavy sentances. AND RUN-ONS DO NOT COUNT!

imported_Firebird1
Oct 31st, 2001, 01:44:33 AM
A simple yes or no will do, but do we get points for LOL?

Arya Ravenwing
Oct 31st, 2001, 01:52:29 AM
...um I don't think its going to be a "points" system. And if there are silly answers, I think that the whole survey turned in by that person should be thrown out. Its obvious a lot of people have serious issues, and if they're going to be resolved, then we have to BE SERIOUS. Just a suggestion.

I think it should go a little beyond Yes and No. Because if we don't know WHY, then how do we know how to fix the problem? We'd have to make another long thread trying to get the WHY's out and heard...and there would be a repeat of last night's antics.

ReaperFett
Oct 31st, 2001, 04:53:03 AM
I dont care about privacy, Ive got the guts to post it here

1. Do you think the staff is doing a good job at Swfans.net Forums? (a) Admins y/n (b) Moderators y/n

Y and Y, they do the best job they can, always there, dont do anything stupid, and their closeness meas they will work together on problems, rather than bickering

2. Do you think that newbies are treated unfairly? y/n

Depends on the people they talk to. Some will be spouting rules at them straght away, others will setlle them in and do their best

Taylor Millard
Oct 31st, 2001, 12:25:19 PM
Just wants to say I agree with LD about her suggestions. Good ones Arya.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 31st, 2001, 12:31:23 PM
Maybe it would be good to have this survey done in two separate ways. One being the anonymous way, distributed via email and tabulated via mediators/moderators(not staff) and the second being in a public thread, where those who don’t desire anonymity can voice their opinions as well and then have the results tabulated together.

Sanis Prent
Oct 31st, 2001, 01:11:28 PM
thats not a bad call.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 31st, 2001, 03:55:19 PM
No offense meant to Jedah, but most of the time I couldn't figure out what his main points were. Long post...but maybe some thought could condense it all into three or four heavy sentances.

I knew it wasn't just me going insane over that. :)

Anywho, there have been several good suggestions so far. Should we (meaning SWFans) keep going on the suggestions (it's only been a day or so, after all) or should we (meaning SWFans) start working on a survey draft?

Figrin D'an
Oct 31st, 2001, 04:14:56 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
Maybe it would be good to have this survey done in two separate ways. One being the anonymous way, distributed via email and tabulated via mediators/moderators(not staff) and the second being in a public thread, where those who don’t desire anonymity can voice their opinions as well and then have the results tabulated together.

Certainly a valid suggestion. The only things that would concern me about this would be potential for spamming of said thread with dissenting opinions (I would hope that no one would be that juvenile about this, but you never know), and potential for harassment of those that would make their opinions public (Again, I would hope that kind of thing could not happen, but it might.) There is nothing wrong with having the courage to speak one's mind. I'm mearly concerned that someone may decided to post in said thread, then be harassed in some manner by someone who disagrees, potentially to the point at which the person leaves the boards and doesn't want to post anymore.

Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but I just don't want to see anyone get unfairly criticized or berated without cause. I guess I tend to think that total anonimity might be best in this case.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 31st, 2001, 04:20:18 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I guess I tend to think that total anonimity might be best in this case. One concern I have with total anonymity is the possibility of the results being flawed because of a possibility that those who are apathetic, or more than satisfied, may not see fit to respond to it. Thinking it unnecessary and/or a waste of their time or whatever reason. It is often common for those who are not pleased to speak more loudly than those who are or are indifferent, in such a situation. Much like voter turn out in the United States, which is at pathetically low levels most times.

Bit in reality that could happen either way it is done. :\

Figrin D'an
Oct 31st, 2001, 05:08:57 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
It is often common for those who are not pleased to speak more loudly than those who are or are indifferent, in such a situation. Much like voter turn out in the United States, which is at pathetically low levels most times.

Very true. Unfortunate, but very true... :(

Although, that might be a trend that might permeate through this entire process. Whether the response be in a thread or through a survey, there still might unreliable results in favor of a 'dissenting voice'...

This going to be difficult either way. I think all that really can be done is to emphasize the importance of this survey and hope everyone will take it seriously... :\

Champion of the Force
Oct 31st, 2001, 05:12:35 PM
In Australia, we fine those who don't vote. :lol

Hence why we have a 97% turnout (or higher) at elections. But I don't know if we can do that here. :)

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Oct 31st, 2001, 07:01:49 PM
I know that it has been mentioned that no staff member should serve as a mediator of the survey, but I think things could go a long way in many aspects if Sanis and I worked together on tabulating the results. He and I have been talking for the first time in a very long time today, and neither of us has any objections in working closely together on this. I am confident that he and I can work without bias to find the opinions of the posters and report the results to everyone to be discussed and acted upon.

Dyne Darkforce
Oct 31st, 2001, 07:34:12 PM
I was going to input my idea earlier, but Hera got it down rather well. I was already down with the survey idea, and if tabulation help is needed then you can count on me for help. As a matter of fact, if there is help needed at anytime, just give me a ring for sure. As for Sanis and Dara working on the tabulations together, thats fine with me as well. :)

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Oct 31st, 2001, 07:54:01 PM
The yes no approach and an area so that way opinions can get across is simple and effective. In school we have the long and short answer questionaire's for class and man they are long. Most people don't care when they fill it out, here we want people to care :)

Dara and Sanis doing the totals is fine by me as well. Ya got one staff and one non-staff working together.

Anonymity. Probably be the best to do it completely this way because it might get all messy going from the boards back to email etc on figuring out who said what. Either way people are going to do the survey or not.

Also, we need more questions perhaps? Throw some out!

DarthHERA
Oct 31st, 2001, 08:26:51 PM
Just want to say the Yes/No approach is just so there would be no misunderstandings or misinterpretations of ppls answers. It would avoid any mistakes on behalf of the Tabulators.

The real difficulty is just in working the questions correctly so
we can get all the information we need. Just maybe need a lot of really simple questions. It may be a long process, but I think having peeps coment on every question is counterproductive. Just would mean wading thru more info than is really necessary.

I think the idea of an additional general area at the end for the survey replier is the best way to go - so any issue that is HIGH importance to that person can be looked at and not be lost in the morass of everyones comments,observations and criticisms.

As for the anonymity - only the Designated Tabulators will know who the survey responder is. Everyones answers are tabulated and only the "results" are given to the community at large.

I hope that clarifies what I mean for ya Arya :)

I have no problem with Sanis and Dara doing the tabulating. I would be happy to have LD in that too tho. I just think a 3rd person helps keep it so there can be no (literally) he said/she said scenario.
(no offence to either Sanis or Dara meant by my view on this)

ok, looks like Im making long posts. doh.

ps) meant to say thankye to Dyner for offering to help out. :)

ReaperFett
Oct 31st, 2001, 08:30:47 PM
Also, we need more questions perhaps? Throw some out!

Not a yes/no, but:

Is there an area in which the admins and/or moderaters could improve?

Ones like that can often pinpoint holes, before someone sticks a penceil in and wiggles it round until bigger, before stealing the gooey insides

Champion of the Force
Oct 31st, 2001, 09:44:32 PM
I think the Y/N approach with an area supplied with each question to expand upon if necessary is the best way to go.

Afterall, if there was a question like 'Do you think the admins are good?' - a No answer doesn't really do much, since it doesn't go into any detail as to why that is the case.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2001, 01:18:05 AM
Hera - what you said is what I was trying to say too. Hey, we were on the same page all along! :)

Sanis and Dara are fine by me. And if you want me in there too, I have no problem with that. I'm not volunteering as a grab for power or whatever, just honestly want to help out if people need/want me to. Just to clarify that. And if most people dont want me to, then that's fine.

If there are a lot of yes/no questions, then the need for comments could be brought down to a simple add on the end of the survey: Is there anything you wish we would have asked? And then limit the sentance number or something. So its kept short and sweet.

If there were enough specific questions in a yes no format, then we should be able to get enough information. SUCH AS (for example only, thanks Fett for the info, but I only posted those questions as suggestions ;))::

Do you think the Staff are collectively doing a good job? y/n

Do you think that there is still room for improvement? y/n

Have you been subjected to discrimination on the board (referring to swfans.net ONLY, and excluding other affiliated boards)? y/n

etc etc etc...you know, come to think of it, I still think that a few "why" questions should be used. It'd have to be a billion questions long to tabulate it all. UNLESS we went with a rating system on the questions. Such as....

Do you think the staff is doing a good job?

1(yes, excellent)
2(Yes, although there is room for some improvement)
3(Average: neither good nor bad)
4(They manage to do some things right)
5(They suck! I don't know why I come here!)

Again, that was just a silly sample question. Any survey question would have to be a little more serious than that was.

Sanis Prent
Nov 1st, 2001, 01:48:18 AM
Just wanted to confirm on Dara's above statement. We talked a bit today, and I'm pretty freakin positive about the turn of events, considering it caught me out of the blue. We're pretty positive about the possibility to work things out, and I can say that I trust her to work with me together on a solution, if its okay with you guys.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 3rd, 2001, 10:47:53 PM
This is for the posters by the posters, in my opinion. Are people going to start recommending standard questions so that this can be put together and into action? Or is this plan going the way of the dinosaurs?

imported_Firebird1
Nov 4th, 2001, 06:14:29 PM
Well, give me a little bit and I'll come up with some questions for it.