PDA

View Full Version : K-pax

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 28th, 2001, 05:02:06 PM
Kevin Spacey's new film K_PAx debuted at #1 this weekend with around 17.5 million which is pretty good for October, 13 Ghosts came in a close second with 15.7. Has anybody seen K-PAx? I was curious if it was any good.

Champion of the Force
Oct 28th, 2001, 05:08:40 PM
Don't really know. Ebert gave it a good review. I haven't checked out Rotten Tomatoes though.

JonathanLB
Oct 28th, 2001, 05:59:31 PM
I wouldn't see a movie with that bad of a trailer unless it was made by someone I really, really liked (i.e. Fight Club trailer sucked, but David Fincher is great).

K-Pax has a STUPID name, it has a stupid premise, it has a stupid trailer, and it looks like the worst movie of the year for sure. I wouldn't waste my time when there are so many other good films out right now.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 28th, 2001, 08:34:58 PM
I don't think it is should be a candiate for worst movie of the year (I think that award is already taken by Freddy got fingered) K-Pax doesn't look that bad besides I like Kevin Spacey he is a great actor and even if the movie is not great at least I know he will be good in it.

Darth23
Oct 28th, 2001, 10:43:32 PM
I didn't even know what it was until Friday morning. Seems pretty ho-hum to me. I haven't seen any commrcials or trailers for it. Of course I haven't seen much tv in the last week so maybe that's why I haven't seen any commercials.

All of the new movies are getting slammed by rotten tomatoes, I don't really think that they're all THAT bad.

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Oct 28th, 2001, 11:57:34 PM
I saw K-PAX and thought it wasn't too bad.. it was a bit reminiscent of a mix of two older movies - Powder and Awakenings - but held its own story-wise. Kevin Spacey is a talented actor and worked well with Jeff Bridges too. I enjoyed it although I felt the movie just kind of ended abruptly.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 29th, 2001, 12:29:47 AM
Well it is October and something it has to do with the bad Horror movies that have been released and second there aren't usually that many good movies released this month. Also I was curious what people think next week's box office will be. There are 3 new movies, Monsters INC, The one, and a new John Travolta movie. Here is my estimate
Monsters INC 38-43
John Travolta flic 18-23
K-pax 10-12
The One 8-10

Champion of the Force
Oct 29th, 2001, 01:29:09 AM
Monsters Inc. will rule next week - I think that's a given.

Don't know anything about the other pics though.

JonathanLB
Oct 29th, 2001, 04:02:10 AM
That movie looks AWESOME. I am drooling over The One every time I even think about it.

I would rather go to that than Monsters, Inc. BY FAR and I'd rather just see the Episode II trailer by sneaking in or something. The One is going to kick so much butt. Man... it looks good.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 29th, 2001, 12:02:35 PM
I am not underestemating it I think American audiences will mostly ignore. First its got a confusing story line (the whole thing about Parrell universes, at least how it is explained in the trailer, just doesn't make any sense). Second Jet Li's recent American films have bombed at the Box office. Kiss of the Dragon did terrible and he has only had one film make more than 50 million in the US and that was Lethal Weapon 4 which doesn't count because people went to see Mel Gibson and company and not him. But also there is too much competion this weekend I think Monsters INC will easily rule the weekend with Domestic Disturbence (John Travolta flick) a distant second. There is another film Life as a House which comes out. I don't see it doing that well but Hayden Christiansen is in it and I will be interested in hearing people's reactions about him as an actor.

darth_mcbain
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:20:35 AM
I don't know about K-Pax. It seems like a premise that would interest me, but the trailers and info I've seen on it don't really seem that good. And Kevin Spacey, while a very good actor, tends to rub me the wrong way sometimes. I'll probably wait for it to be released on DVD so I can rent this one. I agree with you though, Carr, about Monsters Inc. I think it is safe to say that one will be the big one this week. It looks like a clever movie for all ages to enjoy, and having the Ep. II trailer attached to it will only help it. I saw the trailers for "The One", and they were awesome, but I'm betting that the movie will ultimately not satisfy. I could be wrong, but it looked like they were putting too much eye-candy into the trailer to make it seem great when it looks like there isn't much substance to the movie.

Mu Satach
Oct 30th, 2001, 04:56:56 PM
Aye... TOO much eye candy in the One's trailer... they are hyping it all wrong... >=(

the trailer is too confusing & too cluttered. The idea behind a trailer is to entice people... not make them close their eyes and go "Ow... my brain hurts now."

K-pax looks fun... but I'll see just about anything with Kevin Spacey... Also on me list is Life as a House... for Kevin Kleine though... had no clue that Hayden was in it...

darth_mcbain
Oct 30th, 2001, 05:06:25 PM
Life as a House looks interesting. The cast looks to be pretty solid, with Kevin Kline, Kristen Scott Thomas, Mary Steenburgen, Jamey Sheridan, and Scott Bakula. It sounds like something that, while I wouldn't jump to go see it, my wife probably would and I would enjoy it once I've seen it. Interesting to see how Hayden works out in it too - I don't think I've ever seen his work.