PDA

View Full Version : Need 2 moderators - apply within

Champion of the Force
Oct 27th, 2001, 01:00:40 AM
Due to the Episode 2 trailer being released next month, the Christmas movie rush approaching and a recent troll attack, the administration has decided to expand its membership.

As a result, we have openings for 2 moderators (count them) to join me in moderating the forums in the 'Star Wars' category.

So if you're interested and think you're good for the job or know someone on the board who is, please post here and say so.

I must stress that this is purely a nomination thread - the final choice of who gets the job will be up to MY discretion. So don't start bribing other members to get elected - bribe me instead. :p

Apart from that, the floor is yours. Nominate away. :)

Figrin D'an
Oct 27th, 2001, 02:31:39 AM
I suppose one of the advantages of not being able to sleep that I get to be one of the first to see this thread... lol...

I don't want to sound overly zealous, but I'd be interested in the job. I think I know what the job description would entail, and I've been around for... well... a long time, I'll put it that way..., so I'm familiar with how things work. And I've found that I have a bit more time lately to do something like this than I had previously anticipated.

So... let me know and I'd be happy to help out.

ReaperFett
Oct 27th, 2001, 04:20:02 AM
if this position could keep me spoiler free, then Im up for it if you want me

Jedieb
Oct 27th, 2001, 12:06:06 PM
I think BOTH reaper and Figrin would be excellent choices. BTW, just how much time does a mod have to devote to monitoring threads?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 27th, 2001, 05:48:23 PM
I would be willing to do it but I have one question how much programming knowledge is needed to be a mod? I know some stuff but I am not a real big expert. If I don't have know too much I'd be willing to be one but it totally up to you I have no trouble with Reaper and Figrin D'an to be moderaters. But I would like to add that I moderated a couple of fights on this board (I will not name names) but I settled one of their disputes the other was settled by Fox (hey he would make a good mod too) Again its up to you I would not be disapoined so I will leave it up to you.

Champion of the Force
Oct 27th, 2001, 07:35:31 PM
Hmmm, it looks as though I'm going to have to be more in depth with what the mod job entails.

Firstly, you don't need any programming experience or anything like that (that's the admins' - myself and Ogre - responsibility). All the mod controls are there for you to use and you merely have to select and hit 'Go' to do what you want, be it moving/deleting threads and posts or banning a person (yes - mods can ban people on this board now).

Secondly, due to the need to be up to date with the goings on in threads, there is a risk that you may run into spoilers whilst doing your duty (especially in the SW Films forum). Now if you are like me and you want to try and avoid being spoiled then that's fine - I will still consider you, however the risk is there and you've got to decide whether you're willing to take it (I can myself since I've developed the ability to quickly pinpoint problems without risking reading whole threads and being spoiled).

Thirdly, it isn't a big job at this time to moderate the forums. Traffic is fairly low currently so usually you won't have to do much at all, with the exception of deleting the odd double post and moving a thread in the wrong forum. However with Episode 2 being released next May traffic can only really go up from now on so the requirements for the job may as well and you would have to be prepared for that - ideally the individuals taking on the role would be willing to keep the job for now and into the forseeable future.

I would personally expect a moderator to visit the board at least 4-5 days a week (if not every day). Anything less than that and you're not really around enough to do the job adequately (not dissing anyone who isn't on very often, but considering what a mod has to do they really need to be fairly active to jump on top of problems quickly).

Hope that covers it all. :)

PS. Jedieb - was your post here an expression of your own interest, or was it merely in support of Figrin and Reaper?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 27th, 2001, 07:40:29 PM
Ok that doesn't sound too bad, I'd be willing to do it and I am not worried about spoilers, I probably have read half them out there by now. Still, its up to you in who you want to be mods.

Hart
Oct 27th, 2001, 08:15:34 PM
Hmmmm, sounds good. I'd love further incentive to come here.

Jedieb
Oct 27th, 2001, 08:46:59 PM
Kar, I was just posting to support Figrin and Reaper. And now I'd like to second JMC. JMC has an excellent history of being a peacemaker and he's quite level headed. I think I'd enjoy being a mod. I visit here daily and I spend enough time to the job outlined, but I don't know if some would consider me objective enough. ;)

Darth23
Oct 27th, 2001, 11:05:35 PM
I vote for anyone but me.

Being a mod sucks, a lot of time.

I'd much rather be a complainer than a complainee. ;)

BUFFJEDI
Oct 28th, 2001, 03:40:55 PM
Make me a MOD or I'll POUND YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil J/K

there are so many of the regulars a round here that would make great Mods. Jmk,carr,Darth 23,bain.Reap,Hart.all of those guys would (and if I missed anyone sorry ) BUT I would cast my vote /Nom.
for the Oldest(he he he ) and Wisest guy (sometimes ;) )

JEDIEB(s)

BUFFJEDI
Oct 28th, 2001, 03:43:55 PM
BTW. whom ever made my sig smaller THANKS :)

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 28th, 2001, 07:02:50 PM
Since more than a couple of these guys are mods at CCnet, I'll let you know they'd all do fine, and that goes for JediEb too... :)

and no, like D23, I'd rather just post here, thanks. :lol

Champion of the Force
Oct 29th, 2001, 02:24:00 AM
CC.Net admins are automatically barred from this vote anyway (j/k). :p

I'll let this thread run for a couple of more days to ensure most of the regulars at least get a chance to see the proposal and even nominate someone if they so desire. :)

Then I'll move it into our little private admin forum and mull over who on earth I'm going to appoint. :\

Jedieb
Oct 29th, 2001, 07:52:29 AM
Thanks Buff. First thing I'd do is make you my forum muscle. No one would dare oppose me with buff watching my back! ;)

BUFFJEDI
Oct 29th, 2001, 03:29:41 PM
OHHH heck YEAH!!!!!

don't tell anyone Eb(s). but with your brain and my brawn,we could rule this joint ;)

Mu Satach
Oct 30th, 2001, 02:13:58 PM
I second the seconds to the wannabe mods... all are good guys. :)

as for me... I just wanna be one of the many minions at the mercy of your whims around here.
:crack

Darth23
Oct 30th, 2001, 06:37:59 PM
I wonder if this place will be a crazy as it was when TPM was out.

At lease the website isn't called Star Wars vs Lord of the Rings....

;)

Mu Satach
Oct 30th, 2001, 06:48:17 PM
Man I miss the day's when I'd check the site almost daily and pray TPM would bash that other flick... what was it again? ;)

Champion of the Force
Oct 30th, 2001, 06:55:07 PM
Ah yes, those were the days. Bashing Titanic. Fighting off trolls who took on other posters' names (since we couldn't register). Dodgy tree format forums to post on. :)

darth_mcbain
Oct 30th, 2001, 06:58:20 PM
Those days were sweet, when you could ask a question and have half a dozen answers within about 5 minutes. I hope that things pick up again like that, although it will probably mean that I won't get much work done... ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 30th, 2001, 08:18:42 PM
LOL Darth, there could be some in fighting if we did that. Seriously though I am hoping both movies succeed so I would rather not get into a fight between the two because I like both.

Figrin D'an
Oct 30th, 2001, 10:49:45 PM
Yes, agreed. There is more than enough room for both films to be successful. I'd love for both films to top $400 million. :D

darth_mcbain
Oct 31st, 2001, 12:15:00 AM
Yeah - there is definitely room for both to do very well, but you know that there is going to be lots of discussions as to Ep. II debunking LOTR... Oh well, that's what we're all here to do, right?

As for the mod, I think I'll pass. While I make these forums a regular stop of my day, I think I just enjoy being a member with all the rest of you and don't think I'd have the time to be a mod. Its tempting though - a free way to get your star count up... :D I agree with the consensus though - I think that Reaper and Figrin would both be good candidates, along with Buff, Carr, and Jedieb...

Champion of the Force
Oct 31st, 2001, 12:33:51 AM
Well seeing as how this thread is getting off topic, I'll just ask if there is anyone else who wants to nominate either themselves or someone else?

If not, I'll take this thread into the mod/admin forum shortly and then decide on who gets the job. :)

Champion of the Force
Oct 31st, 2001, 08:06:05 PM
Moved thread to here to decide on final candidates.

If anyone has their own opinions on who would be good, please speak up.