PDA

View Full Version : Hey how do i Start a yard

Tasha Kozkis
Oct 26th, 2001, 05:58:58 PM
A polite hint: most of us write pretty formally here, so you may want to start writing with the standardized sentence structure. RP here is pretty freeform, but some of us (such as myself) are damn grouchy about poor writing.

I belive, to get any sort of shipyard, you need 5 members for a group. Being new, I don't reccomend that as a way to start. Instead, I'd join a well established group, and perhaps start a different character if you still want to start a new group. Trust me, running a group is a headache and a half, and we very much have our own style here... the RP itself is fairly freeform, but like I said, we write formally, and there are some unwritten rules.

In any event, read the FAQ and ask around about the different groups.

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Oct 26th, 2001, 07:36:22 PM
Ok.. I'm sorry but I'm just not going to stay quiet at reading that.. so here goes..

This is a roleplaying forum for people of all ages, not a fan fic contest..

So Korran, you write the best that you can but above all.. you have fun, ok? No one should criticize you on how you write and if they do, you tell them where to stick it..

If you have questions or want help Korran, you e-mail me and I'll help you the best I can..

Dara_Shadowtide@yahoo.com

Right now, I believe in reading the rules that you can't start your own yard.. so you need to think about maybe joining a group instead or concentrate on getting your character set up.. that is what I would recommend.

Varlon Konrad
Oct 26th, 2001, 07:40:45 PM
Tasha Kozkis:
A polite hint for you. Don't be a jackass to the newbies, especially when your grammer isn't the best.

Korran:
In order to get a shipyard, you need a group, and to have a group, you need five people. But as Dara said, I'd either join a group and work on getting your character up first, and then later on perhaps form a group.

Admiral Lebron
Oct 26th, 2001, 10:37:06 PM
Now, now children. Must we always argue? Anyways, Korran, don't start a group it'll kill you. Join one like TIR.

http://pub54.ezboard.com/bserpentfleet

Darth Havok
Oct 26th, 2001, 10:41:00 PM
*bats away shameless plug..:smokin

Seems much more like an ethical matter, if you ask me.. Not an argument..

Edit~ People that aren't as talented in writing as others shouldn't be pushed aside or told, moreless - 'you better do better if you want to be here' - That's just WRONG, and those who think any different, seek therapy..

Tasha Kozkis
Oct 26th, 2001, 10:57:15 PM
My appologies. I'm not trying to rape/discourage the newbie.

I suppose if you looked for me attacking someone, it seemed that way. Not my intention. Its a personal bitch, and I said it was.

"Personally...".

Also, I looked at it more as a friendly reminder to look out for those people who are more picky about writing. I'm grumpy about it because I find it harder to read.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 27th, 2001, 05:15:51 AM
And of course, no one's forcing you to read what they write :crack

Sanis Prent
Oct 27th, 2001, 05:20:40 PM
And to the likewise.

Nothing wrong with suggesting improved grammar. Its not a bad thing to have around here, and helps others to figure out what you're trying to say.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 27th, 2001, 07:08:05 PM
If you want to get the joys of leadership, without having to think up a premise for the group, the be a founding member of TGVC.

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Oct 27th, 2001, 07:30:05 PM
Well.. but I believe that there is a time and place for everything.. And if this were an English assignment for a grade, then perhaps suggestions for improvement would be appropriate from the teacher. However, this is supposed to be just for fun.. I disagree that criticizing anyone for the way they communicate their ideas is something to condone.

Sure, this is a message board roleplay and yes it is text based, but it isn't a place to tell people how to conjugate verbs, make verb tenses agree or even work on basic keyboarding skills. We have unfortunately moved away from some of the fun that used to exist on the boards by putting pressure and focus on the writing, when in reality.. this is a supposed to be a roleplay forum.. not a writing forum for fan fic.

And yes some people may prefer a collaborative fan fic and only prefer to associate with those who are semi-professional authors, but others who simply want to enjoy the game should not be forced into fretting over whether they have a typo or misspelled word or that they will be criticized after they post.

I have sat quietly on this matter for too long.. My opinion is not intended to offend anyone, these are merely my thoughts and concerns on a trend that I have seen developing and this unfortunate incident gave an opportunity to address this matter.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Oct 27th, 2001, 08:59:15 PM
My opinion is not intended to offend anyone

Nor was Tasha's, as you will note it is prefaced by "A polite hint".

We're not asking for Macchiavelli, Hawthorne, Shakespeare, or even something simplistic like Steinbeck. However, serious misspellings and misuse of basic punctuation (which can be corrected easily through a spellcheck and grammar check program) can often convey situations that the post author didn't intend. In such things as scene description and dialogue, this can often affect how an RP interaction is seen.

I don't think we've ever been stringent on the verbose qualities of RPers. Those that write lengthier posts can often go on tangents that weren't intended, but also give some details more attention than the generic. Its always been prerogative. But I see no problem with steering a poster to at least attempt correct and basic english mechanics, as this IS how we convey what we are doing here, instead of speaking to each other and rolling dice.

But your opinion shall nonetheless be noted of course, Dara.

Varlon Konrad
Oct 27th, 2001, 09:04:34 PM
LL, I believe the point at hand is.

DON'T BE AN *******. Not lessons in language mechanics.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Oct 27th, 2001, 09:19:50 PM
There is a difference in being an ******* and being frank and honest.

If they'd said "Hey idiot, go back to school" or something, that wouldn't be constructive or necessary at all.

I see nothing wrong with a polite suggestion, as was given.

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Oct 27th, 2001, 09:25:54 PM
Originally posted by Tasha Kozkis
A polite hint: most of us write pretty formally here, so you may want to start writing with the standardized sentence structure. RP here is pretty freeform, but some of us (such as myself) are damn grouchy about poor writing.

Well that sure offended me, and the facade of a supposed polite hint did nothing to diffuse the harshness of her word choice to a person who was brand new to the boards with only a few posts under his belt. Already Korran was told that he had poor writing. That's uncalled for.

I disagree with any imposition of grammatical rules or suggestions therein being given to someone in a public way. This is a roleplay not a writer's forum. No, there hasn't been any stringent communicative sanctions imposed nor do I want to see anything like that be instituted like I see subtly being inferred by comments such as that.

I will continue to protest to such comments where anyone is demeaned due to their writing skills or typing skills until I see the title of this particular section of the board say Writer's Roleplay Forum only.

Champion of the Force
Oct 27th, 2001, 09:28:06 PM
Speaking of writing skills, the Roleplaying section over at the SW Galaxies board has an excellent thread dedicated to how to do good roleplaying, and writing in particular is covered (their roleplaying section is even bigger than ours):

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum4/HTML/008187.html

Makes a good read IMHO. :)

For those wondering how to register at the board, you have to go via Sony's homepage and about half a dozen screens after that. Bit of a pain really. :\

Champion of the Force
Oct 27th, 2001, 09:29:55 PM
PS. I didn't find anything wrong with Tasha's original post -maybe a bit upfront, but nothing insulting or condescending. But I guess it depends on how you read it. :: shrugs ::

Cirrsseeto Quez
Oct 27th, 2001, 09:36:58 PM
They're suggestions. Nobody's putting a gun to anybody's head here.

If you want to complain about the possibility of a rule regarding grammar and spelling, then do so. I'd be with you as well, as its simply not an issue of a concrete ruling of any kind.

But if you want to complain about somebody's right to suggestion, it forms a paradox when placed against your own protest.

DarthHERA
Oct 27th, 2001, 09:37:15 PM
Well, I for one dont get grouchy at poor sentence structure. As long as one can understand your point/post, thats really the point no?.

My Personal Hint: Give the new person a break and a chance to see SWForums is a fun and welcoming place :D

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Oct 27th, 2001, 09:56:55 PM
My original posting in this thread points to my displeasure at the treatment of a new poster here. There is no paradox in that. There are ways to handle such suggestions with far more tact.. send the person a private message or e-mail them if you feel so offended by the way they post. Public suggestions which criticize a person are uncalled for and subscribe to an elitist stance on such matters in my opinion.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Oct 27th, 2001, 10:09:41 PM
I doubt Tasha has quite the post count to establish any grass roots elitist movement of any kind.

Figrin D'an
Oct 27th, 2001, 10:32:57 PM
Quite the hot topic this has become...

I understand a desire to improve grammar and spelling... in certain instances, they are pet peeves of mine as well.

However... it's easy to misconstrue a suggestion for belittlement (regardless of wording), especially in the eyes of someone new to the board. I'd hate to see a potential new member feel as though he/she is being singled out for something that can handled in other ways, only to have said person disappear and never post again. That would be unfortunate, especially since our RP community is founded upon things like 'fairplay' and 'having fun,' and is meant to be open to everyone that enjoys Star Wars-based roleplaying.

And Korran... welcome to SWFans. I hope we see you about. :)

Tasha Kozkis
Oct 28th, 2001, 01:04:39 AM
I'll admit that I'm not the most warm and friendly person, but thats my own perjorative. Maybe I was a little too cold, but I was trying to be helpful, and the fact that you belittle that at all Dara... well, I'm not going to make myself a target. I thought I made it very clear that I was picky about conventions of the english language.

Most of the posts here are fairly formally written, so I'd say my suggestion, while not as "friendly" as you may like, was helpful.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 28th, 2001, 01:08:06 AM
Okay folks, everyone has stated their opinion and its all been made clear as far as I can see. There is no more need for any bickering to continue.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 29th, 2001, 04:20:45 PM
I have moved this thread back to the OOC forum for public browsing so that anyone can refer to it for whatever points they may wish to make. The staff has nothing to hide or sweep under the rug. The reason it was moved in the first place was to attempt to diffuse an (my opinion)unnecessarily escalating situation,(/my opinion) which I learned of over AIM.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 29th, 2001, 04:30:20 PM
For further clarification, this thread was split from the original:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10785

Which had been pruned of all posts, in an effort to treat all parties who had participated in the disagreement in the same fashion. The only post removed from this thread was Korran Horn’s first post and its contents were:

Korran Horn
SWFans.Net Poster
Style set: Default
Reply | Edit | Quote
Hey how do i Start a yard 10.26.01 04:35:36 PM

hey im new here and i need some help i couldn't find anything in the faqs and i need some help startin' a yard so pleez help me yall