PDA

View Full Version : Mark Forum Read!

TheHolo.Net
Oct 25th, 2001, 11:08:52 PM
The feature to mark individual forums read has now been added and is working properly.

There are some slightly confusing things about its operation at the moment, that will hopefully in time be resolved.

The message you see after clicking the "Mark forum Read" link, either from within the forum or when on the Home page, reads that "all forums have now been marked read", which is not true. I have been testing the feature for a while now and have verified that it is functional.

As I mentioned earlier, the issue with the message you receive when marking a forum read, will hopefully be resolved soon. this hack to the vBulletin code is in a Beta release by its developer, and he and another person at the support forums may start working together to combine their two hacks into a final one, which will cover such details as the message that comes up when you use the link/function.

It doesn’t function exactly like ezboard in the fact that if you click the link within a forum, it doesn’t take you back to the homepage(main page) but then this isn’t ezboard either and it may be possible to change how the user is directed in the future release of this addition.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 25th, 2001, 11:52:28 PM
I reworded the message that comes up, so its not so misleading. :)

Champion of the Force
Oct 26th, 2001, 03:42:03 AM
:: goes to test out new thingie ::

Sweet. :)

Champion of the Force
Oct 26th, 2001, 03:53:29 AM
:: returns from testing ::

Ummmm, not so sweet. It marked ALL the forums read for me. :\

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2001, 08:54:07 AM
If you are using the options in your control panel for cookies, it may be that you need to clear your cookies and get a new one. This hack was quite extensive and added a new table to the database, which may also add more information to the cookie set in your browser. Logging out and back in will clear your cookies.

I have tested this with three names already and had it work for all of them.

EDIT: I have tested it with a couple more names and even on a differnet PC than this one and had it funtion, but I did have to log in fresh with said names.

Darth Havok
Oct 26th, 2001, 09:16:46 PM
Works just like you stated it would in your first post for me..

:rollin

Me likes option..

Champion of the Force
Oct 26th, 2001, 10:59:13 PM
:: follows Ogre's advice ::

No go - it's still marking all the forums as read.

I tried it with 2 different usernames and they both do it. :\

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2001, 11:36:31 PM
I think we have managed to find the solution. At least it seems to have worked for me. I had a smililar problem when switching to a style that is based on a Template set other than the "Default".

The one Kar uses is the Basic - Light style set and it uses different templates.

What I did was this:

I logged out and back in, then used the original "Mark All Forums Read" link at the bottom of the main forum page(front page). Then, after a new post was made, I was able to actually mark the single forum read, by use of the link at the top of the forum.

I'm not positive that is the same process that solved Kar's problem with it, but it did solve it for me when I switched to the other style set.

One thing we did learn in this process, was that the link to Mark an individual forum read on the main page(front page) was working properly the entire time, even before all the efforts to get the link within the actual forums to work.