PDA

View Full Version : Alexander the Great

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 25th, 2001, 07:51:59 PM
Some big news about this biopic that is been in the works for years
from the hollywood reporter director Martin Scorsese and actor Leonardo DiCaprio are now attached to this project, now re-titled just Alexander. Initial Entertainment Group, which worked with Scorsese before on Gangs of New York, purchased and linked Scorsese asnd DiCaprio to the Alexander project.

Now I like the idea of Scorsese directing this movie that is really cool, I am not sure about DiCaprio as Alexander. He kind of fits the part (although his hair is not red). I wonder how they will approach the movie for example: how will they read into his father's assassination (some have thought Alexander did it but now it appears that the Persians may have been responsible), Alexander's love life, it is a fact that he was a bisexual, the great battles of his career how will they film them, that really intereges me some of his battles were huge and if they do them right we are looking at some of the greatest battles in film that could come out of it. They could really screw it up too and make Alexander look like a Tyrant (madman) who murdered his father which is just insane. I guess we will have to wait and see what they do.

Jedieb
Oct 26th, 2001, 06:51:21 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr

...I am not sure about DiCaprio as Alexander. He kind of fits the part (although his hair is not red). ... Alexander's love life, it is a fact that he was a bisexual,

Sounds like perfect casting to me. ;)

This could be an interesting film. I can't wait for the scene in which DiCaprio stands atop a blood covered hillside and shouts;
"I'M KING OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!"

JonathanLB
Oct 26th, 2001, 08:38:51 AM
:rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2001, 10:34:01 AM
LOL thats funny Jedieb (at least this time Leo would be telling the truth Alexander was King of the known world)

Jedieb
Oct 26th, 2001, 10:48:02 AM
"..and Alexander wept for there were no more worlds left to conquer."

Is there anything that Die Hard and Alan Rickman can't teach us?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2001, 11:03:09 AM
Great Quote I forgot that one was in Die Hard. Just curious do you know where it actually comes from, Shakespear?

Another interesting side note Alexander probably didn't weap because he was planning on expanding his empire even more. He wanted to conquer India but his army nearly muntied at the Indus River (they were tired and wanted to go home) Then on his journey back to Greece he was planning on going westward to conquer the Etruscans, Carthage and probably even Rome. He was even thinking about returning one day to conquer India. Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) he died somewhat mysteriously (although it is quite possible he died because of one of his drunken bingies it is one of those things debeated by histrorians some even say he was murdered which I doubt).

Jedieb
Oct 26th, 2001, 07:32:41 PM
I see JMC has had the "benfits of a classical education." That quote has an interesting history. Many attribute it to Milton, but there's very little proof that he actually wrote it. Shakespeare wrote similiar quotes in Julius Cesear. Some of the scenes of Cesear weeping are when he speaks of Alexander. Here's a link to a site about Alexander that discusses the quote.

http://www.pothos.co.uk/alexander.asp?ParaID=96

I'm glad you brought this movie up. It's been a nice history lesson looking this stuff up.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2001, 09:05:25 PM
My pleasure besides I love reading about Alexander, he led a really interesting life and he was one of the greatest field generals ever. Now I am wondering if the movie will just end up pissing me off.

Jedieb
Oct 27th, 2001, 12:15:44 PM
You're probably going to be dissapointed. By itself, the film may be quite good. But you may know so much about Alexander and the times that he lived in that you may be distracted by any historical inaccuracies that show up on the screen. If I find myself watching a film about a historical character or event that I've studied I usually have to detach the historian in me to enjoy it. If I want to see something educational I'm better off watching a documentary on the History channel, if I just want to be entertained then there's no problem with watching the Untouchables or any other quallity film that's filled with historical slip ups.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 27th, 2001, 06:03:35 PM
Actually it shouldn't be a problem for me as long as the movie is good I probably won't notice them (or at least not dwell on them as long as they don't portray Alexander as his father's murderer that would be something I could not forgive) I enjoyed both Braveheart and Gladiator which had a lot of historical inaccuricies and there are other films from The Patriot to Saving Private Ryan. All these films are well made movies and the inaccuries generally are minor (except for Gladiator which had some big ones but I still enjoyed the film). Unless they don't do something like A knights Tale or do what I said above I won't be too disapointed, but again the movie must be good.

Champion of the Force
Oct 27th, 2001, 07:46:06 PM
Well hopefully it will be better than that B-Grade 50s movie they did on Alexander - yech.

I studied Alexander no less than 3 times whilst in high school so naturally I'm interested in seeing what they can do with the material.

As long as they don't make token references to Julius Caesar rising in the West (he's 300 years later Hollywood).

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 27th, 2001, 08:22:40 PM
I forgot that awful film, I think Richard Burton played Alexander he must have needed the money probably after one of his divorces with Elizabeth Taylor:p I only saw the beginning of the movie but I think it hinted that Alexander's mother killed Philip which really ludicrious and it also seemed that they made Alexander not care. Oh well since they have Alexander cast who should they cast as the other major characters you have his father Phillip, mother Oympias (one Philip's seven wives), his archnemesis, Darius III, his three big generals: Antipar, Perridicas, and Ptolemy, his best friend and possible lover Hephasetion an we can't leave out Aristole. I have no clue who to cast for these parts I guese we could have Gary Oldman or Alan Rickman play Darius and get some scene chewing roles, I have no clue about the others.