PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to live in the REAL Star Wars Universe?

Mantix
Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:42:11 AM
Star Wars Galaxies is an upcoming massive multiplayer online game that promises to be the most visually spectacular Star Wars game ever created. Unfortunately, the game developers have decided to sacrifice some important elements of Continuity and Realism to make it appeal to a wider audience.

The Star Wars Ultra-Realism Society is a group of diehard fans who want to live in the REAL Star Wars Universe. We are petitioning the game developers to create one server which is closer to Continuity but still just as exciting as the movies and books. This requires several programming changes: we want characters to stay dead when they die instead of coming back to life; we also want players to have the ability to attack or rob anyone in the game — with a coherent system of Laws, Police, and Punishments to keep crime under control. Crime was a MAJOR part of Star Wars and must be included!

We desperately need YOUR help. We have to show that there is enough support from other Star Wars Fans to justify the programming time. Please take a minute of your time to sign our Petition at the link below!!!

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/022897.html

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 22nd, 2001, 12:07:24 PM
LOL... Mantix, welcome to part of my Star Wars online universe. This board is where I first picked my handle.

SWfans is a fine place for ardent roleplayers, and who know how to create a sense of community. They come from Australia, Sweden, England, the US, and everywhere in-between. I do hope a sizable number of them end up playing Star Wars Galaxies.

However, what you may not realize is they already have a roleplaying community, one that is more than two years old. But, rather than ultra-realistic, they opt for fun and creativity. They have legions of Sith in ISDs, and death is rare, but only in dramatic circumstances. I know one Jedi who was killed, but he now roleplays the evil Sith clone of that Jedi.

I don't these are the hardcore folks you are looking for, but I think they'd have fun exploring those boards and I wouldn't mind them helping to shape the SWG game.

[And yes, folks, I post at Sony's Star Wars Galaxies UBB quite a bit these days, and I know Mantix. I find this spamming a bit out of character for Mantix, who is a good poster there.]

Champion of the Force
Oct 22nd, 2001, 06:20:56 PM
He posted this on every forum barring Collecting and Communications (probably because those forums hadn't received any recent posts). I ended up deleting all of them except for here, OOC and in General Discussion, since I figured it might be of best interest in those forums. :)

Mu Satach
Oct 22nd, 2001, 08:14:36 PM
hmmm... gee, no thanks, I have a hard enough time dealing with the Ultra-Realism of everyday life as it is... no need to infect my fantasy life with it as well. :mneh

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 22nd, 2001, 09:38:55 PM
I don't really have a problem with the continuity in the Games and won't mine it when I do get SW galaxies which I think is going to be a very cool game.

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:53:49 AM
Go right ahead, Kar... I'm wondering how many other boards he's done this to, and if I should mention that back on the SWG forum.

oh, and his concepts of Continuity include permadeath, folks killing each other with no consequences, and looting and stealing.

Not all of his ideas are bad, such as asking that our names don't float over our heads all the time, and that aliens can't join the Empire, but I rather like the version of the game the Devs are working on.

Champion of the Force
Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:09:52 PM
I actually got to check out those SWG forums - I suppose that's one good thing about these threads in that I and others actually got to see them. :)

The Roleplaying board they have there is pretty damn big too. Pity about the compliated registration process. :\

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 24th, 2001, 10:00:41 AM
The good news on that though, is, once you're in, you won't have to register when you buy the game... oh, AND, they are gonna be taking beta testers from the folks registered to the boards.

Just make sure you have a GEforce card or above, cause they are gonna require a hardware T&L video card.

This game looks to be a lot of fun.

Champion of the Force
Oct 24th, 2001, 05:20:16 PM
Sweet - I'm getting a Geforce 2 in the coming weeks. :)

Hart
Oct 24th, 2001, 08:24:32 PM
I've never been too into computerized gaming. Just because of the fact that you're not really doing anything.

Seth Darkserpent
Oct 25th, 2001, 03:12:55 PM
Hart, I've noticed you're quite the cynic :)

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 26th, 2001, 09:20:42 AM
Well, on gaming in general, I'll quote a site whose motto is "A moment enjoyed is not wasted."

as for the game, they are gonna try to make it like the role-playing here, but with graphics.

Champion of the Force
Oct 26th, 2001, 11:43:26 PM
The roleplaying game I'm looking forward to the most is Neverwinter Nights. :)

Already I've heard rumours that an underground mod squad is planning to recreate the entire Baldur's Gate saga (from start to finish) using the engine.

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 28th, 2001, 10:27:01 AM
Since LucasArts is working with Bioware on a BG game that takes place in the "Tales of the Jedi" era, I'm hoping to see them do a Star Wars NWN sometime.