PDA

View Full Version : Banning people

Champion of the Force
Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:10:44 AM
I've deleted the thread by the troll called 'moonpupy' in OOC, but I was wondering what steps you take to ban a person in the control panel.

Thus far, all I've done is go into the options and added in moonpupy's e-mail address in the 'Banned e-mails' section.

Is that all we have to do, or are there other things to use for banning as well (eg. by username), and if so where?

Q
Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:40:20 AM
You can do it by username as well as IP address. Also, you can modify his access masks so that he can't so much as get into any of the forums.

Sorry for replying to him... just felt like pointing out hypocrisy. :)

Champion of the Force
Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:43:51 AM
Hmmm, I'll take a looksie and see what I can find.

Thanks for that. :)

Champion of the Force
Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:49:51 AM
Ok, I've edited his access marks so he can't view any of the forums.

However, I'm not sure how to ban his username. Do I just put him into the 'Imported Banned Users' category?

Q
Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:55:44 AM
Don't think so, no.

BTW - Looks like the winners are coming out tonight: We've got a major spammer on the prowl by the name of "Mantix"

Champion of the Force
Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:59:54 AM
I just saw that, however I don't think he's a troll. I followed his link and the thing he's talking about is genuine. It looks as though he was a newbie who didn't know where posters posted so he just posted in every forum to maximise exposure.

I'll probably go through and delete some of his threads soon - I'll probably leave the ones in Boxoffice and OOC however since that's where most posters congregate.

PS. Have you seen the Roleplaying board at the SWG site he linked to? It's HUGE. :eek

Q
Oct 22nd, 2001, 03:03:44 AM
I didn't say he was a Troll, just a Spammer.

And no, I didn't follow the link. But if it's as large as you say it is, perhaps we should spam it and ask for people to come post here. :p

Champion of the Force
Oct 22nd, 2001, 03:08:35 AM
And I never said you said he was a troll. :p

The SWG forums have an excellent colour scheme too - maybe we can create another theme for the forums here based on their scheme. :)

PS. I also left a thread of his in General Discussion too - let it join the ever growing scrap pile of threads in there. :p

TheHolo.Net
Oct 22nd, 2001, 08:23:36 AM
I'm happy to see that this was handled while I was sleepin. :)

Champion of the Force
Oct 22nd, 2001, 06:35:41 PM
Considering the troll attack last night (for me anyway :)), I would like to reiterate my request for adding another mod or 2 for the 'Star Wars' section, expecially now that FMH has taken an extended leave of absence.

With the new trailer coming out in November and film being released next May, our traffic and administration requirements can only go up - I would like to have some mods already in place when the traffic beings to increase.

Champion of the Force
Oct 22nd, 2001, 07:27:34 PM
It appears as though our troll friend hit the RPF too:

http://pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstitanicfrm21.showMessageRange?topicID=6346.to pic&start=1&stop=20

:lol

TheHolo.Net
Oct 22nd, 2001, 07:39:41 PM
Sorry I failed to respond to the issue the first time you brought it up.

You would be much more familiar than I with the regular visitors to those forums. If you have anyone in mind, feel free to check with them, find out if they are willing and we can see about making it happen.

I have been trying to keep up in those forums to some extent, just keeping a wary eye open for trolls and the like, but more help there would be a good thing.

Champion of the Force
Oct 22nd, 2001, 08:08:46 PM
I was thinking of just posting a thread in the BO forum and asking if anyone would be interested. Pretty much all the posters there are good and would make a decent mod.

I might wait till this weekend though before enquiring about it. There's only a handful of posters in the section at the moment so it's not an urgent thing, but would be worth investigating shortly in anticipation for increased traffic in the future. :)

Ogre Mal Pannis
Oct 22nd, 2001, 08:12:50 PM
Cool, sounds like a good plan to me. :)

Sanis Prent
Oct 23rd, 2001, 02:32:09 PM
Wow...E2 must be close, cause its coming up on troll season again!

Its been such a long time!!!

Oh well...good job being on the spot. If ya need any help peeing on the flames, I'm here with a full bladder.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 24th, 2001, 02:17:03 PM
I'm happy to see that this was handled while I was sleepin.

You got sleep!?!? YOU'RE NOT THE REAL OGRE!!! :mad

TheHolo.Net
Oct 24th, 2001, 02:20:01 PM
Happens a few times a week, and being sick makes it even easier. :x