PDA

View Full Version : Ok..it is safe to say that JP3 beat POTA

foxdvd
Oct 20th, 2001, 10:42:45 PM
So Jon... :)

Champion of the Force
Oct 20th, 2001, 10:47:12 PM
:lol

So when are we going to start betting on who makes the most between Harry Potter and LOTR? :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 20th, 2001, 11:15:32 PM
I'd say LOTR by about 20 million.

Darth23
Oct 20th, 2001, 11:49:35 PM
Only 20 million?

Harry Potter - 143 million
FOTR - 325 million

Champion of the Force
Oct 20th, 2001, 11:56:59 PM
My (very rough) estimates:

Harry Potter: 150 million
LOTR: 200 million

I hope they make more on both accounts, but I'm going to be conservative in my guesses. :)

Jedieb
Oct 21st, 2001, 07:14:31 AM
I'd say LOTR beats HP. HP may open higher, but I think LOTR will have stronger legs.

HP 145M
LOTR 275M

You know, I really have no sense of what these two are going to do. I just think LOTR has the potential to outdistance HP by more than a 100M.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 21st, 2001, 03:21:16 PM
Here is my guess for now.
FOTR 285
Harry Potter 212
I think both will make loads of money they are sepearated by about a month which is a big difference. Actually I think FOTR will open higher mostly because school will be out by then and Harry Potter opens when most kids are still in school, still I think it will do well because so many kids love it.

foxdvd
Oct 21st, 2001, 05:05:23 PM
I think Harry Potter does 150 million range

LOTR's first movie will do 200 million range..

How good they are will take away or add to those numbers.

JMK
Oct 21st, 2001, 06:37:10 PM
I think Harry Potter will reel in 170 million, and LOTR 250.

Darth23
Oct 21st, 2001, 11:35:44 PM
I'm not the looking forward to LOTR as much as a lot of people, but I think it will be really big, especially if it's really well made.
I think most sci-fi/fantasy fans will definitely want to see it, I think it will be the 'big movie' of the season, and the media hype will be there, plus I think a lot of kids will see it, especially if Harry Potter is successful, it could kind of encourage fans of that movie to come back.

The real key is repeat viewings. I think that it will have a decent amount - more than most regular 'big' movies.

Of course, my favorite movie this years was Final Fantasy, so what to I know? ;)

ReaperFett
Oct 22nd, 2001, 12:01:17 AM
although I dont care that much, LOTR will beat Bill Gates: The Witchcraft years IMO

flagg
Oct 28th, 2001, 11:14:03 AM
I had to register again - what's up with that?
Anyway, not to beat a dead horse, but I thought I'd clear up some things about the JPIII vs POTA battle. POTA has already beaten JPIII . . . in worldwide box office. It's 2 million behind in America, but it could beat JPIII if Fox kept it in theaters long enough. Of course they won't, because the DVDs coming out next month. But I enjoyed both films, and it was a very close race.

As for HP vs LOTR, here's my predictions:

Harry Potter $250 million
Fellowship of the Rings $200 million.

Let's see if they're as far off as my original predictions for the two movies mentioned above:

JPIII $130 million
POTA $150 million

:)

Jedieb
Oct 28th, 2001, 02:11:07 PM
It's 2 million behind in America, but it could beat JPIII if Fox kept it in theaters long enough.

Actually, we've broken down the numbers in another thread. POTA is behind JP3's pace at similiar periods of release. If JP3 gets pulled at a certain time and POTA doesn't then of course POTA would pull ahead. POTA has a DVD release coming up but so has JP3. No matter how you look at it, JP3 beat POTA in the U.S. fair and square.

foxdvd
Oct 28th, 2001, 05:29:12 PM
It's 2 million behind in America, but it could beat JPIII if Fox kept it in theaters long enough

Not really, unless JP3 was pulled early and POTA was kept in theaters for many more months...which of course, will not happen. JP3, as Jedieb said above, beat POTA in America.

foxdvd
Oct 28th, 2001, 05:30:50 PM
and last time I checked, JP3 was almost 7 million ahead of POTA in the International numbers, and almost 9 million if you go WW....that was over a week ago.

flagg
Oct 29th, 2001, 04:21:39 PM
You are incorrect sir. Check out http://www.worldwideboxoffice.com/
POTA is $4 million ahead of JP3 in worldwide box office gross. The funny thing is, before the summer I would have expected the third Jurassic Park film to have more international appeal than an Apes remake. It was I who was wrong, about a great many things.
And that's the end of that chapter.

Darth23
Oct 30th, 2001, 11:07:16 AM
They're still both nearly identical.

Weird.

:p

Maybe we should make a seperate HP vs FOTR thread.

Champion of the Force
Oct 30th, 2001, 05:53:53 PM
I can easily rename this thread, or 'split' the thread so all the HP vs. LOTR posts are in their own thread. :)

foxdvd
Oct 30th, 2001, 06:16:58 PM
Originally posted by flagg
You are incorrect sir. Check out http://www.worldwideboxoffice.com/
POTA is $4 million ahead of JP3 in worldwide box office gross. The funny thing is, before the summer I would have expected the third Jurassic Park film to have more international appeal than an Apes remake. It was I who was wrong, about a great many things.
And that's the end of that chapter.

You are incorrect sir...check out http://www.boxofficeguru.com/intl.htm

JP3 is 6.1 million ahead of POTA...as of 10/25..the numbers at the place you posted are old. As of 10/25....JP3 has 179.4 International...and POTA has 175.1...the site you use still has them in the 160 range...

Now I am not saying a month down the road POTA does not catch up with JP3..but when I posted the post above saying that JP3 was ahead, I was using the latest numbers (I think I said they were about a week old)...

Darth23
Oct 30th, 2001, 06:19:43 PM
uh... That's two points and a Take-down for foxdvd.

;)

I can easily rename this thread, or 'split' the thread so all the HP vs. LOTR posts are in their own thread.

I think my brain would explode of you split the thread. :x :x

Mu Satach
Oct 31st, 2001, 05:03:19 AM
I've heard of splitting hairs...
:ghost

[hehehehe... don't mind me... I'm just delaying a run through the rain right now.]

Dutchy
Oct 31st, 2001, 06:31:32 PM
Originally posted by foxdvd
So Jon... :)

Yeah... where is he? :)

Champion of the Force
Oct 31st, 2001, 07:51:51 PM
Yeah... where is he?
He's disappeared. :ghost

Darth23
Oct 31st, 2001, 10:13:16 PM
He's off building his Multimedia dot-com Empire.

:D

foxdvd
Oct 31st, 2001, 10:14:52 PM
I think Jon owes us each 200 bucks right? Was that the deal? ;)

JonathanLB
Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:35:15 AM
Man, you missed out. It was $20 I think, if you had bet... :)

Ah well, maybe next time you should take me up on that offer. But maybe next time I'll be right, never know. It has happened once or twice before, though I don't remember when...

Haha, j/k

Yes Darth, lol, it has been quite busy on that front!

I have seven Websites developed, nine domain names and I'm working on buying another fully developed Website, not too expensive though.

So far, so good with the ones I purchased for $25,000. I would say they are going as expected, though with a few small complications and with a few things working out better than I thought they would, too. It's always hard to know if these deals will go as desired, but I must say for the most part it went so smoothly I was really shocked. I wanted to have both sites firing on all cylinders, so to speak, by November 1 so I could enjoy a full month of profit for a full month of expenses. The final days in October were all spent ironing out the problems and putting everything into place, overhauling ad codes, making long distance calls to everywhere from just a few states away to the East Coast to Australia. Then, by the morning of October 31 I had sealed the final major part by opening an account with Advertising.com for newsletter ads.

They will fill my inventory for ads whenever Gorilla Nation cannot sell the ads at much higher prices.

foxdvd
Nov 2nd, 2001, 07:32:20 PM
I had a dog once named Smackers