PDA

View Full Version : Info on TPM dvd sales so far...

foxdvd
Oct 17th, 2001, 11:31:23 PM
Looks like is sold about 700,000 dvds the first day, a bit less then Snow WHite on DVD, but as the article touches on, Snow White gave away a free dvd when you pre-ordered it..so that really got that first day up, but Snow White sales fell hard the rest of the week...it looks like TPM will set the 1 week record...amazing for a movie already out on vhs for so long! It also said they might sell out of the 2.4 million dvds shipped...I know my local Walmart and Kmart are sold out already...

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011018/en/film-menace_1.html

JonathanLB
Oct 18th, 2001, 05:53:58 AM
They better start making more of those suckers, hehe.

I think the Star Wars films will hold the DVD sales records eventually, especially when they're all out much later. There will simply be enough editions to rank them higher on DVD than they've been able to do on VHS even, which is already impressive.

Now if I just had my own TPM DVD, hehe. Amazon.com really does suck, I am sorry but that company is way down hill from a year ago and more.

It used to be you order from Amazon.com and you got your DVD on the same day the movie came to stores. Now, well, that might happen, but it's highly unlikely. For me, it's mostly been one day late every time, but this time, the one time it really really matters, it's not even here two days late.

Of course I didn't pay for special shipping or any nonsense and I never did do that before either, but they always got the DVDs to me on time. I guess they just don't care any more -- even worse, Amazon.com has some of the worst prices online for any DVD. It's like AOL, only newbies use that service because they simply don't know better. Only online newbies use Amazon.com because they've heard of the company.

I get 5% off my purchases because I'm an affiliate so I still end up getting a lot of stuff from Amazon, but for the normal person it's totally not worth it. If you can find any DVD at Amazon that is the cheapest on the net, haha, that would really surprise me. Buy.com is always cheaper basically, as are many other sites.

Jedieb
Oct 18th, 2001, 07:50:26 AM
My local Target sold out of its initial shipment. When I went to Best Buy the guy working the register told me I was the 3rd person to buy one in two minutes. I think it's going to be an amazing seller. I can only imagine what the OT sales will be years from now when DVD players are just as common as VCRs.

darth_mcbain
Oct 18th, 2001, 09:32:34 AM
When I picked mine up from Best Buy, there were still plenty left, but they were going quick. As I approached the display there were about 5 other people headed for it too.

JonathanLB, I know what you mean with Amazon and I feel your pain... I didn't go through Amazon, but the Fox Store, and the one I ordered is still not here. I just picked up a copy on my own and when the one I ordered came, I'll just return it. It was a lot cheaper at Best Buy too...

Darth23
Oct 18th, 2001, 10:17:47 AM
It used to be you order from Amazon.com and you got your DVD on the same day the movie came to stores.

Damn right! Or maybe even a day early. That's the main reason I ordered from Amazon.com. I didn't get an email until YESTERDAY that they had shipped it.

I saw an article that said that TPM spld 10 million copies on VHS, and that it's at 260 million so far in revenue from VHS and DVD (17 million from the dvd).

I think Shrek will have a chance to beat TPM, though I think 'kids' movies probably will still sell better on VHS, so maybe families who have both will buy the video for the kids instead of picing up the dvd.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 18th, 2001, 04:23:28 PM
I'm not surprised that it is going to beat it the film is still popular and I agree with Jon I think when the OT trilogy comes all records will be broken.

JonathanLB
Oct 18th, 2001, 04:57:55 PM
Very frustrating. I could take a taxi somewhere and get it, but here is the thing, I ordered it from Amazon, so that copy should be here sometime, then I'm going home Friday and my mom got a copy just in case this one doesn't arrive and so we have one at home too, so if I got another, that'd make 3 TPM copies when I'm basically the only one who's going to watch the film, well, my sister loved it actually, so she might...

Yeah, as a few of you said too, it'll be AMAZING when the original Star Wars Trilogy comes to DVD. Any sales record, regardless of what it is, will be blown away. The DVDs will probably be pretty amazing too.

I really hope that eventually they make this massive, 18-DVD set (3 for each film) that is just loaded with extra features, then each OT movie maybe has a few tweaks to it, even just minor technical ones, or maybe additional small scenes that will make sense in context of the saga or whatever. I want to see the be-all, end-all of DVD sets when all six SW films are done. I think that's a pretty tall order for Lucas and his companies, but every other time I expect to see the best from them I always get it :) So, I'm not worried.

Darth, I got my e-mail from Amazon on Monday and it said on 4:11 a.m. Tuesday it was IN Los Angeles, CA! Tuesday passed entirely, no DVD, then Wednesday... no DVD. I haven't gone outside or anything yet today so maybe it is there in the back or something, I'll go check soon, but if not today, then why the heck isn't it leaving its location in LA?! I'm only about 1.5 to 2 miles from the airport even, sheesh.

I do remember the days when I'd get DVDs early from Amazon, like Monday.

About a year ago, I called them up when I got my DVD on Thursday once and I said, "I am really angry that I just now got a DVD that has been out for two days when I pre-ordered it months ago from your company. I expected it to be there the day it arrived in stores and that is what Amazon has always done." He said, "No, we don't guarantee that, we guarantee we ship it on the day it is released." I was so mad, I was like, "What are you talking about?! I have been shopping with Amazon longer than you've been working for them and I have never had a DVD arrive later than Tuesday! This is absurd." I just hung up finally.

Now, I realize they suck anymore, but it's no less disappointing.

Those DVDs were in the warehouse weeks early. Even if they were shipped in backpacks and some guy from Amazon biked from Seattle, Washington to LA, he would still be able to get one to me on time if he left early. That's why they should SHIP them early enough to get here.

I don't mind the occassional DVD arriving on Wednesday. A one day delay is not good, but it's not horrible either. I mean it's not the end of the world. But this is getting ridiculous...

I'll wait until I get home because I have my home theater there and all, so I'm going to watch it from about 10:30 or so maybe to whenever and get a great experience, even if it is three days later.

I still think TPM will become the best-selling DVD ever eventually, most likely within six months to a year. The holiday season is coming up too, perfect timing.

Darth23
Oct 18th, 2001, 05:12:29 PM
"I was so mad, I was like, "What are you talking about?! I have been shopping with Amazon longer than you've been working for them ...."

:p :p :p

I got mine today. Along with Dark Star and Big Trouble in Little China SE.

JonathanLB
Oct 19th, 2001, 01:03:17 AM
It's nice to see that the TPM DVD even is inspiring some nice comments from the bashers at TFN, hehe. :)

I have my TPM DVD, well, at home. It's at home in Portland, on my bed, so when I return it'll be there. But, for now, it's not here. It's sitting in the post office still presumably, haha. I have no idea. I bet I get it tomorrow, just minutes before I take the taxi to the airport! lol

Jedieb
Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:58:09 PM
It looks like TPM DVD sales came in at 2.2 million for the first week. That's not too far ahead of the record set by The Mummy Returns just a few weeks ago (2 million), but still a record nevertheless. I can only imagine the numbers that the OT will generate a few years from now when DVD's are almost as common as VCR's. But if the OT is sold as one large expensive set, then it may have trouble breaking future DVD sales records. $17-$20 for one SW movie on DVD is one thing, but $50-$100 for all 3 three is something else. That's the kind of package some tend to put off until birthdays or X-Mas.

JMK
Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:58:43 PM
I guess it depends if GL really wants the record or not. If so, I'd imagine that he would release them all one by one, then a big set.