PDA

View Full Version : DVD Deleted Scenes details

ReaperFett
Oct 15th, 2001, 10:38:06 AM
DELETED SCENES

SCENES GONE INTO SOME DEGREE OF DETAIL NOW

Pod Race start
Very sweet indeed. Shows all the racers, including the little one fighting with a Pit Droid and waving to his little family. Longer before the start, lots of revving, nice looking

Lap 2
Sebulba flames another pod. Some little recovery droids come. Very cool looking. Especially when Anakin hits one :)

See a pit stop, where a little Pit Droid has some green/red batons like at an airport. A vendor sells stuff. Anakin overtakes Teemto stylishly. The Pod Sebulba destroyed by throwing a piece of junk at hits Anakins pod, cable dislodges, causing him to have to repair it. Tuskens take Pot Shots at some Jawas stealing Pod parts.

Waterfall
When the Bongo surfaces, it is caught in a waterfall, causing the Jedi to have to use a grappling hook to get to safety, while Jar Jar swims.

Air Taxi Sequence
After Qui Gon asks to speak with the council, Padme tells Anakin to follow her. All but Jedi take Taxi. Flies round Coruscant, some great shots.

Dawn Before the Race
Before Pod Race, morning (duh:)). R2 is up painting the Pod. Padme wakes Anakin up for his mum. Kitster comes with mounts to hook up the Pod.

Anakin/Greedo
After Pod Race. The two scuffle. Qui GOn spplits them up. Wald says about Greedo having a bad end.

Farewell to Jira
Anakin gives Jira money for air con. Probe Droid follows them, Qui slices it. Two start running back

SPOILERS END

Overall, some good scenes. Just a shame you cant see them during the film

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2001, 02:11:36 PM
All those scenes sound cool I can't wait to see them tomorrow. And I agree with you about at least having the option of putting them in the movie. I think they should have put the scene when Qui-Gon split the probe droid in there because it makes the following scene make more sense. Also I was wondering have you been able to access the outakes yet? I read about them on theforce.net and they sound really funny I think you have to pu a code in or something to access them, if you don't know about it I think I can find the code for you.

ReaperFett
Oct 15th, 2001, 02:17:12 PM
tried, but no. It says go to Options. There is no options for me :)

Ill keep trying though :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2001, 02:21:30 PM
Okay let us know if you are able to access them, also do you have a DVD rom? I was just wondering because theforce.net claims there is some special stuff on there and they also said they announced when we will be able to download the EP2 trailer it is Nov 9th. I guess it won't be on Monsters INC, I think the new Hayden Christiansen film Life is a house opens that day maybe that is why they chose it.

ReaperFett
Oct 15th, 2001, 02:26:23 PM
I have DVD-ROM, but some software messed up, so wont work.

Bit unfair really. Give extras to some, not others. I paid just as much as the next man

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2001, 02:32:47 PM
I admit it is a little unfair to those who don't own a DVD-ROM, I now they are becoming more popular but it still not really fair. Luckily I have one so I will get to see if can figure it out how do it can email some of the images if anybody who owns the DVD (I don't think that would illegal) to you, but I am not sure if I can do it anyways so the point might be mute.

ReaperFett
Oct 15th, 2001, 05:17:18 PM
The Commentary makes the film better. You see the meaning of some things, like why the first sabre fight is so brief.|

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 16th, 2001, 06:57:50 PM
Now that I have seen the deleted scenes I must say that I liked 5 out 7. I didn't like the Greedo one I guess because it showed to me that Anakin had too much anger in him already. And I didn't care for the waking Anakin at Dawn scene because it was kind of boring. The other 5 were amazing especially the Pod racing scenes. Still I wondered why Lucas brought some of the back and still left others out. Most of the additions to the movie I liked though especially Anakin's move around Teemto, I still wish he had put in Sebulba's flame jets they were really cool and I also wish he had left in the one driver's tender moment with his family because it gave his death a few minutes later more meaning. As far as the other scenes, the Air taxi scene was neat we do see more of Courscant which is way cool. The Waterfall sequence is amazing but did nothing to the story dso I agree with Lucas in leaving it out. Finally I wish he had left in when Qui-Gon destroyed the Sith Probe. On the deleted scene commentary he mentioned he left it out because he had already emphasized that the probes were looking for them but I would left it because it tell us why they are running to the ship. This is just my opinion and I do see one problem the scene with Jira wasn't very good and could have gotten in the way with the rest of the scene. Oh well, does anybody else have a opinion on this matter.

darth_mcbain
Oct 17th, 2001, 09:35:16 AM
Overall I thought they were all excellent. The extended pod race was really neat. It kind of brought me back to when we were all waiting for Ep I to come out and they were posting those sneak shots on the official site. I specifically remember the one of Mawhonic in the cockpit of his racer, and of the Bith Band in the stands, neither of which we saw in the original cut of the movie. It was good to see them put in after all...

One question. In the Air Taxi sequence, was that a Bothan flying the taxi? If so that would be the first (I think) time we've seen one of them.

Jedieb
Oct 17th, 2001, 02:15:55 PM
I got it yesterday and I made it through the documentary, the deleted scenes, the trailers, and most of the TV tome poems. I thought the Air Taxi sequence was gorgeous! The Pod Race starting grid was great. I can see why they cut it, but I liked getting glimpses of all the racers. The Farewell scene had a great ending. It explained why Anakin and Qui Gon were jogging towards the ship. Plus the shot of that huge transport was sweet. The Dawn scene could have been left off the disc. You can tell they barely had time to do much work on the Eopies Kister was riding, they looked blocky as hell. The Waterfall scene looked good and the commentary that went along with it was great.

If I have any time tonight I think I'll pop in disc 1 and go through my favorite scenes. I doubt I'll have time to sit through the movie w/commentary until Friday or Saturday.

ReaperFett
Oct 17th, 2001, 07:34:54 PM
about the Bothan, from TF.N:

Alien Driver in Coruscant Taxi Scene
Wed, Oct 17, 01 09:01:36 PM EDT

Craig chimes in:

Hey, isn't that a Bothan taxi driver in the extended Coruscant taxi sequence of Episode One's DVD release? If so, wouldn't that be the first visual representation in the films of the species that played such a key role in destroying the second Death Star?
You can see a visual reference of a Bothan from Sony's Star Wars Galaxies drawing here. There are similarities from the drawing but the Bothan from the SW Galaxies site has more hair. If anyone has visual references as to the identity of the alien's species, email us at Alien Taxi Driver.

ReaperFett
Oct 18th, 2001, 03:07:26 AM
TF.N update:

Update: Some astute fans send in reports as to the identity of the taxi driver.

BriGuy chimes in:

The name of the alien taxi driver is Rayno Vaca, but I do not believe that his species has a proper identification. He is of the same species as Senator Mot-Not Rab, and in May 15 starwars.com interview with Jason Baird, Jason refers to the species simply as "Mot-Not Rabs" - the exact quote (and link) is as follows: "There's all sorts of returning alien characters," says Baird, "Rodians, Aqualish, Ishi Tibs, Weequays, Wookiees, 'Mot Not Rabs', Neimoidians and such."
Joe Corroney adds this:

It's actually 'Mot Not Rab'. An alien costume created by ILMer Jason Baird and his crew for an actor to wear in the Phantom Menace. Check it out here.
JF alerts us to a different photo you can see here.

And Stephen Bagnall finds additional confirmation:

On page 63 of SW: E1 The Visual Dictionary, there is the same species of alien, a senator named Mot Not Rab. Although it doesn't state what species it is, I really don't believe that it is a Bothan. Bothans are more goat-looking; these aliens look like more of a Predator-type alien.
Mystery solved. Thanks gents!

darth_mcbain
Oct 18th, 2001, 09:37:42 AM
Interesting... A Mot Not Rab - never heard of 'em... The only other time we might have seen one of those guys was in ROTJ in Jabba's palace. I think I remember one of the aliens in there looking vaguely like the taxi driver, but I haven't seen ROTJ in a while, so I could be wrong - I'll have to pop the tape in and compare them...

Incidentally, I wonder if we ever will see Bothans in the upcoming films. Mon Mothma gave them such serious treatment when she said how they got the Death Star plans. "Many Bothans died, to bring us this information..." For something like that, we should at least see them at some point in the 6 movies...

darth_mcbain
Oct 18th, 2001, 09:54:19 AM
Go figure - on the official site they have a new section detailing the characters in Jabba's palace...

As it was I was wrong, I was thinking of Saelt-Marae, or "Yak Face", but it is obvious that he and the taxi driver don't look anything alike.
The site lists Yak Face's race as a Yarkora...

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 18th, 2001, 04:26:57 PM
I hope we see a Bothan, they are play a major role in the SW Galaxies game coming out next year makes you wonder why they chose that speices because all the others have been seen before (trandashon, rodian, Wookie, Tweilk, Zabarak). I think we might see one in EP 2 as a senator.

ReaperFett
Oct 18th, 2001, 04:32:04 PM
It was in because they wanted an EU species

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 18th, 2001, 04:59:13 PM
I don't think Bothan's are truly EU they were mentioned in ROTJ, so I would consider them Canon, still we haven't seen them so what they look like in Lucas' mind is trully unknown.

ReaperFett
Oct 18th, 2001, 05:11:04 PM
The general concencious is that they are EU, as Lucas didnt describe them.

And it was one of the Galaxies team's reasons. Was on their boards

darth_mcbain
Oct 19th, 2001, 08:27:45 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I don't think Bothan's are truly EU they were mentioned in ROTJ, so I would consider them Canon, still we haven't seen them so what they look like in Lucas' mind is trully unknown.

I would consider them Canon too from that reference. As to what Lucas has in mind, though, there is an entry in the databank on the official site for Bothans (http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/bothan/index.html), which shows them as a kind of horse-faced alien. Since they are on the official site, I would consider that image canon, even though we haven't seen them in the films. I don't know - do you consider the website to be canon? I would think so, as it is the official one that Lucasfilm is putting out...

ReaperFett
Oct 19th, 2001, 08:33:04 AM
Depends. One source basically said everything was canon. Another said only that which is in the films, screenplay or novel (dictionary too I think). Depends what side of the wall you are on :)

Jedieb
Oct 19th, 2001, 09:21:45 AM
They're canon because they've been mentioned in ROTJ. What they look like is all EU. Until they're referenced in one of the films then it's still EU. The official site bios can be tricky because I believe they've got bios for both canon and EU characters. But if there is a Bothan senator in TPM and his bio is on the official site then I think that a good case can be made for a canon classification. What always bugged me about the Bothas is that they took credit for basically being puppets of the Emperor. He LET them have those plans. He just had a few killed to make it look convincing.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 19th, 2001, 12:16:55 PM
Of course they don't know that nor would admit it ;). I still hope to see one in the senate in the next movie, they don't even have to have a line they could just insert them in as background characters.