PDA

View Full Version : SW Tales #9: Greatest SW Comic EVER!!!!

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2001, 11:24:13 AM
If you haven't picked up SW Tales #9 then you're missing one of the best SW comics ever made! The Maul V. Vader story delivered big time. IMO, it's the best SW comic I've ever read. Maybe I'm partial because the Sith I was rooting for won. Despite that, the fight scenes were great and took up almost half the issue. The following stories were pretty lame, but the Vader/Maul battle more than makes up for them. This is a great comic. The winning saber move was awesome, a fitting end to an evenly matched battle. Even Palpy makes a guest appearance. Ligtsabers, dead Stormtroopers, Force lightning, what's not to love?

Figrin D'an
Oct 11th, 2001, 10:45:41 PM
Hmmm... sounds interesting.

How is the meeting/battle between Maul and Vader set up? I'm not a fan of the comics, so I don't know if this is part of some larger storyline or whatnot... I'm just curious (forgive my ignorance). So, if you can kinda describe the "setup" to the story without giving too much away, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :)

Jedieb
Oct 12th, 2001, 12:04:55 PM
One of the things I love about SW Tales is that it pays no attention whatsoever to the SW timeline. They pull characters from the SW universe and do what they want with them. However, the Vader/Maul battle is set up in a way that it COULD have actually taken place just before ANH. The setup is as follows; 3 dark side adepts believe Vader is a poor choice to be a Sith apprentice because he was once a Jedi. They believe they can still sense light in him. They lure Vader to a remote planet where they match Vader against one who they believe is a "true" Sith. That one happens to be Darth Maul himself. The writers did a nice job of being quite vague as to how Maul was brought back to life. They imply cloning, but they don't go right out and say it. Once the adepts reveal Maul to Vader, the two begin battling for the right to be the Emperor's apprentice. The Emperor himself makes an appearance at the end and you get the idea that he was aware of trap and did nothing to warn Vader. He may have even engineered the whole show. Both Vader and Maul score hits against each other. For me, the ending was perfect. At the very least, it's worth a trip to the comic book store and a quick read before the chubby comic book guy kicks you out of his store!

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 12th, 2001, 07:03:17 PM
So SW tales is basicaly a what if sort of thing?

Jedieb
Oct 13th, 2001, 12:38:41 PM
It's very similiar to the old Marvel "What If" stories. Some of them are pretty funny. They turned R5 into a droid that could sense the Force. Skippy the Jedi droid is the silly kind of story that only SW Tales can give because they just don't care about the EU timeline. Writers are free to write whatever they can. The current SW Infinities does the same. The current storyline revolves around: "What if Luke's torpedo had malfunctioned and not destroyed the Death Star?" It's a four part story that wrapping up this month or November. It's pretty solid as well.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 13th, 2001, 04:22:26 PM
Ya, SW infinities is the seriouse what if, and SW Tales is the funny what if.
I had heard about SW Infinities, but had forgoten the name.
Thanks.
And, nice sig.
I checked out the other ones, and love them.

Hart
Oct 13th, 2001, 05:48:59 PM
I am so gonna try to find that.

Jedieb
Oct 13th, 2001, 07:07:19 PM
Thanks Dalarsco! :)

I really hope they continue the Infinities series. They're are so many different points they could diverge from. What if Luke had gone off with Vader and tried to overthrow the Emperor? What if Ben had killed Vader on the Death Star? Maybe the Emperor would have gone after Luke and seduced him. The possibilities are infini... Oh crap that's corny.. :p

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 14th, 2001, 08:38:44 PM
Or Anakin could have lost the Podrace.
Or Qui-Gon could have beat Darth Mahl
Or Anakin oculd have fialed to take out the control ship.
Or the Death Star could have not warked at all.
Or the Rebels could have won at Hoth.

How long until you make the next Survivor thing?

Jedieb
Oct 14th, 2001, 09:48:09 PM
I don't know if I'll EVER get back to it. I'm just swamped; work, kids, house, etc... I've actually got the next episode written, but I never had the time to shoot it. It involved the impaling and beating of several Ewoks. Oh the horror...

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 15th, 2001, 05:34:16 PM
Even though I love Ewoks, I still can't wait.

ReaperFett
Oct 15th, 2001, 05:39:49 PM
What if Luke ever did get to the Toshi Station? :)

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 20th, 2001, 03:46:11 PM
Ya.