PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins (Afghanistan)

TheHolo.Net
Oct 7th, 2001, 11:42:40 AM
The US led retaliatory attack on Afghanistan has begun. Will it mean all out war?

imported_Eve
Oct 7th, 2001, 11:48:16 AM
All I studied tells me this is the beginning of world war 3.

Sanis Prent
Oct 7th, 2001, 11:51:53 AM
More like Gulf War 2

TheHolo.Net
Oct 7th, 2001, 11:54:41 AM
I am of the opinion that it will be more similar to the Gulf War than any other, in the fact that the majority of it will take place as a distanced offensive. One that puts few ground troops of ours or our allies in danger. Cruise missiles and stealth air attacks galore.

Our President has dubbed the retaliatory strikes as operation: “Enduring Freedom”.

Sanis Prent
Oct 7th, 2001, 12:03:43 PM
If the al Qaeda and Taliban forces don't surrender...I hope they're all put to the sword.

I assure you, Allah will be the last person they see in the afterlife.

Jedah Lynch
Oct 7th, 2001, 12:24:51 PM
Gulf War 2 perhaps on a more larger scale yes.

World War 3 I doubt it.

It might be a long conflict, not going to be a short one. Unlike the gulf war in which Saddam was let go when his *** was toast dont think anyones foolish enough to let Oasma go.

Rama
Oct 7th, 2001, 12:37:19 PM
World War 3 is streching it. I think this will be over in 3 months. I doubt they'll ever call it a war either. It'll just be a military action. I think this War on Terroism thing well go one for Years. but the stuff in Afghanistan will be over real quick.

imported_Eve
Oct 7th, 2001, 12:45:08 PM
The reason I say that, is because its not just about the wacko hitting us. For many people, its a chance to get us for all the things our country has done, which I can't argue was right or wrong in understanding world politics.

I mean, for instance, we've bombed Iraq everyday since the Gulf War. This pisses people off, since our reasons for doing it make us a walking contradiction. People who feel like that will jump in to this battle.

Also, China is on our side now, but probably not for long. Their mad over the whole Taiwan deal (among other things), and I wouldn't doubt if this thing went on long enough that they fought alongside our present enemies in the future.

Jyener Celchu
Oct 7th, 2001, 01:11:23 PM
We're talking about defending freedom and justice. I really don't think that countries like China are going to jump into this thing. This is good against evil.

That's like the police going after a theif, but some guy doesn't like one of the cops so he smashes his car windows.

Once the weeds are picked out of Afghanistan, it'll be a lot easier to tighten security around the world and preventing anything else. Afghans get a new government, the US and other allies help support the refugees, and we get one step closer to solving all those Mid-East conflicts.

DarthHERA
Oct 7th, 2001, 01:28:15 PM
I think this conflict is a "bleeder". It will take a long time to get fixed.
Whether its 3 months in Afghanistan or no, Terrorists
are absolutely everyplace. Only time will tell whether it will
escalate to something in the scale of World War. Other than that, it is gonna be a very very long
campaign - two steps forward, one step back imo.

I will say, tho, that the American reaction and handling of this
whole thing has been a releif. When it happened, I had visions
of the US going ballistic and retaliating in anger,
causing a snowball effect, and catching the world up into a huge nuclear fight.
But, America is being calm, calculated and thorough.
I dont think this is the beginning of the end as ww3 would be.

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2001, 01:53:37 PM
I hope they released the British reporter they held captive then. They said they would in the next few days. I hope she is okay

Jyener Celchu
Oct 7th, 2001, 01:59:13 PM
They did I heard it somewhere.

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2001, 02:09:11 PM
ahh, top notch. No major complaints here then

Force Master Hunter
Oct 7th, 2001, 05:20:33 PM
I'll point out one thing.

Why are China and Russia so behind this action?

They ALSO are having terriorist problems, big, big ones we dont normally hear about. Chia and russia are supporting the USA because the people causing the trouble are the same as what executed the WTC disatster.

Believe it, China and Russia would love nothing better than to do the same, except they dont have the reason the USA does.

The real wory is what the militant Islamics do around the world in response. In a sense this wont be a all out superpowers war, but I do think its going to spread and get worse before it gets better.

Like in the Phipllines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Africa, former USSR states. Just because one rogue state may be belted doesnt mean it's going to end. Open up to a world view, it's not just Afghanistan vs USA.