PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2001, 06:22:02 PM
I just got finished watching this years Big Red shoot out and Oklahoma was very impressed especially their defense which did not allow Texas to do a thing for most of the game, and Texas has an impressive offense. After watching the game I now feel that Oklahoma will be hard to beat for their second straight national title.

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2001, 07:41:40 PM
Weren't people saying that Oklahoma had been struggling? I saw VA Tech beat up West Virginia today. They may have the best defense in the country, but their offense will not be able to hold up against the Hurricanes later in the year.

foxdvd
Oct 6th, 2001, 08:29:08 PM
Weren't people saying that Oklahoma had been struggling?

Not really....I mean, they had a close game with a ranked team last week, but this week we are back to form. OU RULES!

Oh, and I am from Oklahoma by the way. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2001, 10:22:29 PM
Most of their struggles have been on the offensive end, mostly I think because they had a new QB trying to adjust which is to be expected, he actually looked quite good last week but ot banged up in the game and couldn't finish the Texas game. That is what makes this game even the more spectacular because they won the game with a backup and beat the best offense in the Big-12. Now only Nebraska stands in their way for the chance to win their second straight national title. As far as Va Tech goes they do have a good team and probably will only lose one game all year. Too bad they lost their RB for the season earlier and then adding the fact that Vick left a year early who knows what kind of team they would have had this year.

BUFFJEDI
Oct 6th, 2001, 10:34:16 PM
How bout them HEELS beating up on Florida state 2 weeks ago??

I think Oklahoma is better as a musical:rollin

JonathanLB
Oct 7th, 2001, 01:52:54 AM
Go Ducks!!!

U of O is awesome this year.

OSU is the most overrated team in history, haha. They suck hard. They were so lucky to make that game look respectable when really it was a m***acre.

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2001, 02:38:28 AM
I admit, Oklahoma looked pretty good today, especially on the defensive side. I didn't see all of the game, thanks to ABC's stupid regional coverage policies and was stuck with Michigan vs. Penn State most of the afternoon...(grumble grumble)... they did finally switch over to the Red River shotout in the 4th quarter, though.

Hopefully, Nate Hybl isn't hurt too badly. If he has to miss any significant time, the OU passing game will suffer. They need to continue to develop that passing attack from week to week if they want to run the table in the Big 12.

I'm not ready to hand the Sooners the national title yet, though. They still have to go to Lincoln to play the Huskers, which could be a huge game, since both teams should be undefeated at that point. Then, they'll likely have to play Nebraska again in the Big 12 title game. Not an easy task by any means. If they get through that, it'll be a Rose Bowl matchup against (likely) either Miami or Florida. Again, no easy task.

Don't get me wrong... I think Oklahoma has a hell of a football program and a great head coach, and you can't discount their experience... however, right now, I think the best team in the country is Florida. The Gator offense is just scary, destroying both Mississippi and LSU, two of the better defenses in the nation, while playing solid defense themselves. I'd vote Florida #1, based on their performances thus far, and put Oklahoma at a close #2. Miami is a distant third at this point... the Hurricanes are talented, but they haven't been tested yet. I won't be surprised if Florida State steals one from Miami next weekend.

"OSU is the most overrated team in history, haha. They suck hard. They were so lucky to make that game look respectable when really it was a m***acre."

Hey, it's the Sports Illustrated curse... it struck again. :)

I really think the Beavers were a longshot from the beginning, anyway... they lost both their starting CB's from last season and they have some problems on the O-Line. With the Pac-10 pretty much loaded this year, they would have had a tough time even if they didn't open with those non-conference losses.

My team is still undefeated. :) Purdue beat Iowa to move to 4-0. Yeah, I know, the Big Ten is down this year and we haven't really played a tough team yet, but we're still 4-0... better than some supposed national title contenders. :mneh Who knows... with as wide-open as the Big Ten is this year, Purdue might defend their conference title and get into a BCS game again.

JonathanLB
Oct 7th, 2001, 03:26:59 AM
Honestly, there really is an SI curse! I am telling you! LOL.

I'm not too happy because my friends are ALL at OSU and I might be next year too, so... well, my school doesn't have a football team so I guess OSU is better than ours. ;)

I think U of O could kick Oklahoma's butt! :) Hahaha.

No seriously, though, U of O is going far this year. Rose Bowl, here we come.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2001, 12:58:56 PM
First if OU beats Nebraska in Nebraska they will be playing for the title in the Rose Bowl. Oklahaoma might not have to play Nebraska again, Colorado has looked great so far and will challenge them for the northern title regardless if OU can beat Nebraska in Lincoln I doubt they would lose to them in a neutral site. As far as who they would play, I'd say it will be Miami. Florida to me isn't that good. All of Spurrier(SP)'s teams look this way in the beginning but they need to beat a good team for me to think they will beat Miami or Oklahoma. Sure they beat MSU and LSu but neither are in the top 25 anymore. MSU is having a bad year I saw there game against SC and they looked terrible, they gave the game to SC. LSU got beat pretty bad by Tennessee who then got beat by Georgia. Also there are three other teams that we are leaving out. Va Tech who has looked impressive so far but they have to play Miami who they probably won't beat. Then there is Washington and UCLA, both are undefeated and if one of them can stay that way they have a legitement case for shot at the national title. This is the reason I think college football needs a playoff system because if one of the pac-10 teams go undefeated, Miami, Florida, and either Oklahoma or Nebraska go undefeated, two teams will be shut out at a chance, I just don't think that is fair.

foxdvd
Oct 7th, 2001, 04:37:08 PM
This is the reason I think college football needs a playoff system because if one of the pac-10 teams go undefeated, Miami, Florida, and either Oklahoma or Nebraska go undefeated, two teams will be shut out at a chance, I just don't think that is fair.

I could not agree more.....

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2001, 09:18:04 PM
Beating the Huskers in Lincoln would be a great feat, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Even if the Sooners go into the Big 12 title game undefeated, a loss in that game would severely hurt their chances for the Rose Bowl. Remember a few years ago, K-State went into the Big 12 title game undefeated, and lost to Texas A&M. As a result, they didn't even get into the BCS. Now, I'm not saying that the Sooners would get screwed that badly, because their S.O.S rating is much higher than that K-State team, but still, a Rose Bowl berth would be unlikely unless some of the other top contenders lost the same weekend.

Colorado beat an emotionally drained Kansas State team. K-State came out flat, which one might expect after that heart-breaking loss to Oklahoma. Colorado got a lead early and was able to hold on. Yes, it's a big win for their program, but they have back-to-back big games over the next two weeks, hosting A&M before playing the Longhorns in Texas. They need to win both of those games to keep pace, as it seems unlikely that Nebraska will be tested until they host Oklahoma in three weeks.

As for the other teams mentioned:

UCLA: Definate contender. IMO, they're the team to beat in the Pac-10 right now. The game with Washington in Pasadena next weekend will be huge.

Washington: A darkhorse contender. They still have to play the other big teams in the Pac-10, and have needed some late 4th quarter comebacks to win games. Their first real test is next weekend against UCLA.

Oregon: A contender, but they need to go undefeated. They weren't dominating in non-conference play, so they'll need the Pac-10 victories to get them to Pasadena. Even then, if two other teams, like Florida and Oklahoma, are undefeated, Oregon would be the odd team out.

Virgina Tech: They're still in the mix because they're undefeated, but they haven't impressed me that much. They haven't played a big game yet, just like Miami. Talented, no doubt, but I want to see how they react under pressure against a tough opponent.
Beating up on teams like Rutgers and UConn doesn't mean much.

I'm not going to pick teams for the national title game, but I will just say that, IMO, the two best teams in the nation right now are Oklahoma and Florida. Both have the ability to go undefeated this year, and, maybe even more importantly, either could potentially lose a game and STILL get to the Rose Bowl because of their schedules. Miami and Virginia Tech don't have that luxury, and we know that one of those two will have at least one loss.

foxdvd
Oct 7th, 2001, 10:21:01 PM
This year is so good......so many ways to go, and so many great games. Over time I have moved into a College mind-set, and away from the pro game.

foxdvd
Oct 7th, 2001, 10:34:41 PM
good read....but the same as Fig has said.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/s/insidebcs/1007.html

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2001, 11:54:12 PM
Here are a couple of other teams to consider
South carolina- has a chance if it can run the table. Doing that (which would include beating Florida) would put Lou Holtz and the Gamecocks in the Rose Bowl.
Fresno State- I'd say their chances are unlikely at the moment but who knows I'm sure their is one scenerio that could lead them to Pasadena.
That's basically it but I still think it will be Miami vs Oklahoma. I'd say this because I question if a Pac-10 team can go undefeated, they might knock each other out, then I think Florida will not go undefeated they have three really tough games left. They have to play Tennessee, SC in Columbia, and Florida ST, I think one of those teams will beat them I'd say SC who will probably get beat by Tennessee because they have to travel to knoxville. That is what I see happening at the moment, but heck it could be UCLA vs South Carolina for all I know.

JonathanLB
Oct 8th, 2001, 12:35:06 PM
U of O will go undefeated and become the national champions. :)

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2001, 02:03:38 PM
If Vick had come back for another season then the Hokies would have been a much stronger team. They probably would have started the season ranked in the top 5. Grant Nole is simply to inconsistant a quarterback to carry them to a national title. Kevin Jones was the top recruit in the nation, but he's still a freshman. He could be a future Heisman candidate, but he and the Tech offensive line aren't ready yet to make a run at a title. With Miami in the mix a Big East title is a long shot. But the Hurricanes do have to come to Lane Stadium this year so they have that going for them. Still, I don't see VA Tech facing off against another unbeaten team at the end of the season and winning it all. A ten+ win season is nothing to be ashamed about. It's a huge improvement over where the program was 5 years ago.

Figrin D'an
Oct 8th, 2001, 09:58:47 PM
South Carolina has played well thus far (except their defense against Alabama), and I agree that they do have a shot at the SEC East title, but, as was pointed out, both Tenessee and Florida remain on their schedule. Both of those teams have big talent at wide receiver, and it was obvious that the S.C. secondary had trouble stopping Freddie Millons in the game against the Crimson Tide. If they don't shore up their deep pass coverage, Jabbar Gaffney and Kelly Washington are going to burn them later this season, regardless of the game location. If they can knock off the Vols, they'll be in good shape, and would be 9-0 heading into the game against the Gators. (They still have to play Clemson the week after Florida, too...)

Fresno State needs a LOT of help to get into the BCS, let alone the Rose Bowl. In additon to going undefeated, they need Colorado to finish in the Top 15 for the BCS bonus points to kick in... (Wisconsin and/or Oregon State likely won't finish that high, which would have been even better for Fresno St.). Without the bonus, they won't finish in the Top 6 of the BCS standings, and there is no way that they would get an at-large bid... as crappy as that might seem, it's the simple truth. For the Bulldogs to get to Pasadena, they would need virtually every major contender to lose twice... and all of the undefeated teams from major conferences who aren't currently considered 'contenders' to lose at least once, like Washington State, Stanford, Maryland, Texas A&M, Purdue, etc...
Fresno State is a pretty good team, but each week, those victories over Wisconsin and Oregon State look less impressive... I think they will be extremely fortunate to get into the BCS... again, nothing against the Bulldogs, just an unfortunate truth..

JonathanLB
Oct 9th, 2001, 01:48:02 AM
OSU is screwing it up for everyone. Ugg.